Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 00:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%
Default Senior Support

Hi everyone. I was wondering if there were any senior citizens, 55 and over , who are LC'ing and would like to have and give support. I know it is more difficult for us to lose than some of our younger friends and family,,and it helps to have some input from someone who has "Been there, done that", if ya know what I mean!
I am 55 years old, 56 next month actually, and have been LCing since June 2002, so far I have lost only 40 pounds, with lots of ups and downs,,and some stalls.
If there is anyone else who has had success or even problems they could share,,it would be great !
C'mon, lets get it going!!

Betsy

Cya Lighter
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 01:21

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Betsy,

40lbs is great! Don't knock it. Ive been low carbing since about September 2001 and I've only lost 40lbs too - but I feel much better.

I'm 52 by the way. Senior citizens - come on, we are just reaching our prime!

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 05:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

I'm 50, soon to be 51, and I know what you mean about it being slow going!
Between having a slower metabolism now, and dealing with the usual stalls (and cheats, lets be honest), it can be frustrating.
Nice to know we aren't alone in our endeavors, isn't it!
Have a great day!
Lesle
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 05:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Smile

Good Morning,
I am also a senior, 64 years young and on Atkins for 1 year now. I feel so good, I joined Curves for Women and gaining more muscle every day. I feel great. Hubby is also on Atkins and he is 65 with COPD and feels great.
Weight is going very very slowly, but I have lost about 8 inches since starting Curves so that means alot. Went from a size 20 to a size 16. Have 30 pounds off in the last year, wish it were more, but with hormones and thyroid medication, it is going very slowly.
We seniors are not alone out here, maybe just afraid to post more.
Bev
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 12:48

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi all. I'm 54, been low carbing since August 02, have lost 33 pounds and feel terrific. I have no joint pain, almost no gastric problems. Had all my blood work done last month and everything was excellent. My doc was thrilled - almost recruited me to lecture her other patients.
This is a terrific way for seniors to eat.
Go for it!
Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:29

Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%
Smile

hi betsy
i am 53 years old and just started atkins in jan, 03. So far i have lost 22 pounds and i am feeling much better.
i also have arthristis and gout and so far they are both bothering me less(hope it continues) I have joined curves too. and i think it is really helping me loose wieght.
good luck to all of us
linda
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:45

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi Betsy,

Although I don't think of myself as a senior citizen, I am 58 years old.

I have been doing Atkins for a long time, but I get so frustrated with no losses that I do go on periodic binges. Last year I think I lost a total of 5.75 lbs. Now that is pathetic!

But my doctor is not worried. He totally approves of LC and my bloodwork is all great. I feel much better when I avoid carbs.

Exercising is not as easy for me because I have had a knee replacement (actually 3 new knees in the same leg with a broken leg during that time to boot) so, I will always have some discomfort in that leg and I cannot do some of the exercises I would like to do. I do go to the gym and do some weight lifting, but not to the extent of these younger girls on the board.

I think as we age, we are more apt to accept ourselves the way we are and when I struggle to lose and don't see any results, I have a way of thinking it may not always be worth it. I am happy that I am healthy and don't have most of the problems of a fat senior.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%

Well, I'm not really a senior citizen (I'm 46) but I CAN tell you that since I hit 40 the weight is harder and harder to handle!

I used to be able to drop 10# like nothing but now it seems like I just can't do that any more. I remain very active getting plenty of exercise but I think my metabolism has slowed down -- especially since my hysterectomy 5 years ago I recently joined a food co-op and have been able to purchase organic and whole foods. Up here in the Northwoods that's a real treat because the grocery stores just don't handle these products. I've always been a carb-freak but it amazes me how much I really don't miss the breads, pastas, flours, etc. I used to do ALOT of baking (bran muffins, grainy breads) and have stopped. However, I find the recipes on the low-carb sites to be really fun and VERY good! I would highly suggest you use the recipes with Daikon radish. They're SO yummy and SO good for you.

I hope we can all hang in there and learn to live with eating this way forever.

I
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

WOW!! Great response everyone!!!
I enjoyed every post, and am so encouraged!!! I guess I am average, and should be thankful for the 40 pounds off, eh??
I dont really think of myself as a Senior Citizen either, but I didint know how to address the issue in the thread title....Late Bloomers maybe??

I joined Ladies Only, but have been able to go only once, thanks to the inclement weather we have had here in Indiana. It is supposed tp be Ice and snow tromorrow,,,,no go there either!!
Doing crunches at home though,,,

It is fun hearing my grandkids tell me what a great job I am doing, how skinny I am getting, and encouraging me not to give up. They are so proud of me! And not to mention my husband..he has a new wife. I feel so much better...the joint pain is a lot better, almost gone, and the energy is a plus too. Having fun with the clothes buying too....
LEts keep this thread going...its fun!!!

Cya lighter Betsy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:06

Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

My GOSH!!! When did being in your 50's and 60's become SENIOR CITIZENS????
Okay...I am not there (35) but my parents are 61 & 62 and no where NEAR being senior citizens!!!

I guess since I was raised around so many sweet people in there 70', 80's and 90's!!! That 60 just is not EVEN old to me.
We lived in the country when I was a teenager (just a couple years ago ) and my best friends in the world were Bill & Mildred Lynch who were both in there 80's.

It really is true...you are only as old as you feel!

Good luck to you all!!!

#11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 23:35

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 175/175/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Everyone,

Another senior (62) citizen here. This is my first time ever with low carbing, started just last week and have been thrilled with a 5 lb. loss. I'm doing SB though. I'm very excited about this WOE, struggled for years with no/low fat and was closed minded (sigh) about carbs. I bought into the hype that the only way to lose was low fat. On SB a lot of things are reduced fat but even those products are a treat for me after eating no fat (bleh) for years.

I don't expect to lose very much or very fast as I don't exercise and right now don't plan to either. Maybe when the cold weather goes away I'll think about walking. I have one of my cats trained to walk with a leash so maybe I'll take him out with me. Only thing with cats, they walk when and where they want and at their own pace. But I guess any walking is better than none. It's kind of nice because I meet people that way--I've even had people stop their cars to see if they really were seeing a cat on a leash.

I'm glad to see other seniors here too.

Carole
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 07:07
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Please, Please Please dont tell me that 55 is senior citizen, cmon I've just managed to accept that 48 might be middleage!!!!!!!!

Cmon think young
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 07:47

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

53 here, but mentally still 30! I'm starting from scratch today. I started Atkins just before Thanksgiving and only lost 5 lbs. That's been VERY frustrating.

All the encouragement didn't help either. 5 lbs for the first 2 weeks sounds great!, still 5 after 5 weeks, and everyone said that's 1 lb a week and that's great! Well no it's not. I never lost any more than that, and then I was encouraged to go to the next level, OWL, and guess what? I've gained it back plus 1.

Sorry, to complain! Well here I am, starting over from scratch. I'm glad I found this thread. IT IS HARD TO LOSE AT THIS AGE!

I don't believe I every lost more than water weight and that's why it came back so easily. I've got to micro-manage this WOE and perhaps hanging around with a more "mature" crowd with similar obstacles will help.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 07:56

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question How old am I?

I guess I am too a senior. Im sitting here trying to figure out if Im 51 or 52, soon to be 52 or 53. Whats that tell you. Ok. I figured it out. In April I'll be 52. Becuase the weight comes off more slowly, I get on the scale less frequently, content to be on a WOL that makes me feel better. The fibro and candida are clearing up and I have so much more energy. My big downfall is not exercizing. I will have to work on that. Glad to have found this forum. Vonnie
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 08:16

Stats: 215/176/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Good morning!!!

Hi!!!

I’m 56 and have lost 32 ponds since May 2002 !! Gained 6 pounds over the holidays.. but have lost 3 of that 6 and working on the other 3.. Not sure all that Christmas eating was worth it!!!LOL

Quote:
Im sitting here trying to figure out if Im 51 or 52,

LOL!! Been there done that!!!