Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 04:53
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default really want to return!!

the only diet that seems to have worked for me for the last couple of years is low carb. but i hate the food on atkins plan, i like carbs for breakfast. so i tried montignac last year and was amazed how quickly and easily i made goal. i still drank lots of wine and coffee, and ate huge portions. i got careless and had sugar binges, then got back on, and cylced like this for the rest of the year. now one year later, i am a few kgs more than i started with no muscle tone left, and the method doesnt seem to work for me anymore. even if i stay strict, the scales will not budge. i am so frustrated and angry with myself. why did i not stay true to the one plan that worked so well and made me feel so good.
can someone please help me? my regular day on montignac is a bowl of oatmeal and a fat free cappuccino, lunch and dinner are meats, olive oil, and vegetables, with whole milk yogurt or cheese for dessert and snacks.
i am thinking i should give up coffee, which is harder for me than when i gave up smoking. will be worth it though if it helps.
is there anything wrong with my daily diet?
do you count your calories?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Thanks for the warning & an idea

Hi there,
Thanks for the warning - I always wondered if this system would make us hypersensitive to starch & sugar, because our bodies get accustomed to not having to process it.

So my suggestion is that the oatmeal eaten without a lot of other foods might be the problem.

I had gestational diabetes and had to test my blood sugar after every meal. When I was first trying to get my numbers under control, I found that oatmeal would make my blood sugar go right up - especially if I added blueberries or other fruit.

I then read the advice at www.Mendoza.com & what he said about the overall glycemic load of a meal made sense. I now occaisionally will have oatmeal, but my breakfasts are always a combination of food.

I only eat oatmeal if I've eaten protien or vegetables (e.g. left over dinner from the night before, or a handful of mini-carrots). I vary the breakfasts I have - an omelette with cheese & piles of vegetables if I have time, or toast with peanut butter & celery stick and an apple, if I'm in a hurry. I make sure I get enough complex carbohydrates, by eating them with lunch and dinner.

Also, is your oatmeal the fast cooking kind? My mother has a different book & her's says oatmeal has to be slow cooking to be low GI.

I think it's very important to eat enough food (regardless of calories). When I stalled temporarily I found that eating a lot of very low GI food (raw vegetables, protein and fat) really got my metabolism going.

Good luck in getting back on track & please keep us updated. It's scary to think that the system might stop working for us, if we stray off it too much. I hope that proves not to be the case.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 11:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default star52

yes, please learn from me !!! do not be a yo yo. be consistent. i truly believe now my body is totally resistant to change, and i am super sensitive to sugars now! watch out for this. i get cystic acne and really bad mood swings, and a drugged feeling when i do eat simple carbs now. i think my body detoxed when i quit eating sugar.
i am very interested in what you said about the oatmeal. montignac says to eat carbs with no fats or protein. i have the slow cook kind. i love it because it keeps me full for hours on end. but i wonder if this is what is stalling me. toast with peanut butter would be only for maintenance right? .
i have been straying and looking to the zone, the idea of eating balanced, and not seperating everything sounds more sensical and healthy. lowering the glycemic load. but according to montignac, having carbs with fat will send it straight to fat storage. anyway, as you can see, i am very confused. i dont know whether to stick it out with montignac or try something new. but i know i will never be a "cheater" again. i feel very unhealthy right now, and i hate that.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:
Default also!

congratulations on your success! you sound like me with the same goal! would you mind posting some sample menus and calorie limits you used to get to your goal?
thanks so much!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default sorry to go on so!

i have decided to have rye toast with fat free cream cheese for breakfasts now and see how those goes. the protein should help in the mornings, while still being level one. along with meat or fish and tons of vegetables for dinners, and cutting out cheeses for awhile. i am going to stick to this for one month, and not weigh myself, then see. thanks for reading.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 00:24

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi there!

I'm a strong believer in Montignac - come on, give him another try!

I think the website that Megan200 was referring to was this http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

For some reason, the previous link looked like something else!

I'd have to agree with Megan200, I'd suspect the oatmeal, slow or quick. I've been on a stall for a while now, but am quite happy about it for the moment!

I never have counted calories... but I did modify the Montignac plan to rely more on the Glycemic Load (as it details in the website up there) rather than Glycemic Index. You could try to do that to see if it helps for a while.

Its so nice to see people visiting the Montignac forum again, I was getting very lonley for a while!
Spang
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 00:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default star52

i am happy to see some people here too. this is such a great diet, but i guess in america people follow somersizing. i can help but believe she stole it from him. i have bought some of her books for recipes though. i believe sugarbusters copied him also.
thanks for the tip on oatmeal. do any of you eat muesli? i am in switzerland, so the muesli here is awesome. but it all has dried fruit or nuts, so i have never bought any, though montignac seems to say it is okay.
do you drink coffee?
thanks for the mendosa link.
hope to keep posting with you!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:48

BF:

Hi there

My rule of thumb for muesli - try to avoid any with sugar added. I think that is the really bad part. Use no sugar at all, if you must add a little fructose instead, or some raisins / the right fresh fruit. I'm English, but live in America, and sometimes have granola for breakfast with either plain yogurt and fruit or some milk. Your rye toast and fat free cream cheese sound fine to me.

As you seem quite attached to your oatmeal - I'd suggest cutting it out for now - going to phase 1 of the plan again, and then reintroduce it at a later date.

You may also want to consider adding a sprinkle of brewer's yeast to your breakfast. I'm never one to recommend taking dietary supplements, but I think this one is a good idea. It helps to reduce the bodies intollerance to glucose, so it might help you kick start again. I think marmite works well too, if you know what that is (it's an English spread made from yeast - you either love it or hate it!)

I drink coffee religiously, so I know how hard it would be to give up. However, I always have esspresso based coffee drinks (normally cappuccino). I never have filter/drip or the freeze dried type. I know that Montignac tells us to avoid filter and freeze dried, and says that if we must espresso is ok. I tend to use low fat milk in it too.

I've often suspected that various popular plans, especially in the US, are "based" on Montignac... However, I have been planning to get a book that the mendoza site recommends, it is written by the Dr. in Australia that conducted all the research into documenting GI and GLs that can be found on the Mendoza site.

It is called the New Glucose Revolution...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...e=ATVPDKIKX0DER

good luck - and keep posting!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 02:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks!

i do use espresso-a gorgeous latte every morning. i am going to try to cut it half and half caffeinated.
i am hanging my head in shame now, i just found out this whole time i was eating fast cooking oats! i thought because they didnt come in microwave package with lots of sugar, they were the good kind! i was at a health store and saw the slow cooking kind, and realized they are very different. anyway, i am giving it up til i start making progress anyway.
i could only find one quarter fat cream cheese, do you suppose this is okay? also the only bread that seemed correct was totally flat and heavy, i bought some whole grain toast bread. it does have a little oil, but i hope it will be okay. it was really a nice breakfast.
sometimes i feel montignac is inconsistent. all the other plans have such strict rules, i never know for sure what is acceptable with this one.
will run back to the store and get some brewers yeast. i have heard before it is good for energy and the skin too...
by the way, i am saving up to go to london this summer! have been before, but for less than a week, and that just isnt enough time!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 135/125/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi again - I'm glad the mystery of the oatmeal has been discovered! I've also ate a lot of things with high GI by accident when I first started (raisins,low fat soup stock with starch & sugar as key ingredients). I hope that this solves the problem & you are able to start to losing quickly again.

I've got a lot to do today & this weekend, but I'd love to keep talking. I wish I had known about this forum when I first started - I still have a ton of questions.

Although I don't have time to write down meal ideas right now, I will say that I really don't go out of my way to avoid fat. (I used to before I started Montignac).

I look forward to talking more.

Megan
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 10:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default re

i really enjoy eating fat with this diet. the first time i did, it was so scary, i had always been a no-fat girl. now i really enjoy nice cheeses on occassion.
do you make any of your own desserts? i find that they tend to make me really hungry, so i try my best to avoid them. a shop here sells montignac products that i have always wanted to buy, but they are extremely expensive!
now lets see if these pounds start flying off without this oatmeal!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Some ideas

Just some additional ideas: Are you eating enough protein? I would also suggest to cut down the full fat yoghurt a bit. If I remember it correctly, the book says something about the fat in hard cheese is not "absorbed" by the body the same way as other fats are.

An idea about the oatmeal: We have some special oat here in my country with fiber added to it. It actually makes the oat meal tastes "better" and fives you some extra fibers to keep you full longer. I guess it gives a lower GI as well.

Good luck and keep on going!

--Maria - who started at Montignac, is now on Aktins, but will return to Montignac when she is at her goal weight.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 06:43
Registered Member

BF:
Default star52

i do not think i can buy special oatmeal here. i had a really hard time finding the big oats. i cannot find fat free cheeses here either. i am going to try to cut back on all the dairy fats and saturated fats. i have read that fats from vegetables and fish burn off alot better than the others.
i have a problem with portion control as well. when i first started, i could lose very well eating enormous portions, but now i need to learn to cut back.
i just reread the book with a highlighter. there really are alot of details.
how are you doing with atkins? i really wish i had been able to stick with it, as it works really fast, i just feel better with carbs. in sweden, i bet you have lots of fabulous fish!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Re: star52

Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52
i do not think i can buy special oatmeal here.

Maybe you could add some fibers yourself? Wheat germs?

Quote:
how are you doing with atkins?

I'm doing more than fine! I skipped the induction phase since I already had lost quite a lot of weight thanks to Montignac. I went straight to Ongoing Weight Loss and the only thing I really miss is the bread for breakfast, but I keep myself fuller on egg&bacon and am not hungry until lunch. I keep myslef around 30-40 grams of carb/day and for me it's more than enough.

Quote:
in sweden, i bet you have lots of fabulous fish!

Well, I live in the northest part and fresh fish is really rare... Lukcy me to be a "meat person"

One thing I have very hard to find is sugar free products. The stores here hav e fat free food, lactose free milk, "gluten"(??) free bread/pasta - but sugar free does not exist! Have tried to surf the net and maybe do some on-line shopping but it costs a fortune to have it sent to Sweden.

--Maria
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:18

BF:

In my opinion, just because 1 plan works faster than another, does not necessarily mean that it will work better in the long term, and with better effects to your overall health.

I know it is very "hot" subject, but I don't think atkins is worth the effort, health wise. (I've been told horrors by my flat mate, about the long term effects on the liver when on Atkins - she is a pharmecutical biologist, so I trust her, rather than sensational reports in the news!)

Have you tried looking for diabetic related food? That will probably be sugar free, if it is not advertised in the other health food areas at shops. I guess I'm lucky living in SF, as they have several excellent resources for sugar free / organic food. I've even found ice cream that contains fructose instead of any of the other "bad" sugars.

Montignac talks less about nneding fat free / low fat foods - I've always been fine with cheese of any type, and I drink fat free milk just out of personal preference (and a lot of it!)

try and see if you can get acceptable alternatives to things like bread - eat rye, pasta - get soy / quinoa / wholewheat pasta, rice - eat brown basmatic or wild rice. eat a little of these with a lot of vegetables / protein.

i found that if i needed to snack during the day - raw nuts are good (i.e. not roasted / salted etc) - or "good" fruit.

Montiganc isn't called the father of all these plans for nothing

Good luck on whatever plan you are using!

Spang