Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 00:50
Montana MaMa

Plan: My own lc
Stats: ***/***/140 Female 5'7"
BF:***
Progress: 26%

Thanks for all the info,this thread is very interesting. I thought that I couldnt have yogurt, and now I can. Im going to give it a try! Thanks again Angela, love your name, I have a daughter with the same name. Ive been reading in your journal, and youve been doing just wonderful. Keep up the great work!!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 06:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally posted by Skamito
Hey Jamie... thanks for alerting me this thread was active again... and Alina for bumping it. The yogurt question is a good one...
As far as the Dannon goes, the plain looks fine, the flavored is an obvious no-no. As long as it has a couple active cultures, it should be fine. I usually add some berries (frozen are especially good) or splenda or da vinci syrup or protein powder (or all of the above!) to my yogurt and it's great. I even still get ketosis breath after yogurt so... seems to be true to me!

Thanks for stopping back through here, Angela! I was thinking the plain Dannon should be fine, but I got really confused with the rest of the thread after it Hope everything's going fine on your trip!
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

If Dannon plain is all you can get, fine, I guess, but I've found the flavor, thickness and counts are inferior to Brown Cow Cream-Top and VASTLY inferior to White Mountain.

I also found I could make the Dannon somewhat more palatable by stirring in some heavy cream.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:12

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Brown Cow Cream Top is AWESOME! I am now purchasing it over Stoneyfield Farms because it tastes so good. Quite rich and not sour at all. I can even eat it without sweetener!
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:59

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

One of my favorite snacks is to take some frozen triple berry mix from Cosco and either defrost it in the microwave or in the fridge overnight. Then I stir in tvp (texturized vegetable protein - do a search if you've never heard of it), which soaks up the berry juice, and crumbled pecans. I mix this into 1/2 cup yogurt and sweeten it with Stevia. It tastes a lot like my old favorite of yogurt with fruit and granola. I find that tvp bumps up the protein without changing the taste of the yogurt like protein powder does.

Jen
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 11:05

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

My favorite yogurt trick is to add my protein powder and my psyllium to a quart of full fat yogurt. If I'm using strawberry or vanilla, a few berries get tossed in, too. If it's chocolate, it's great for those ice cream cravings. An easy change from the breakfast shake and good for lunch when I want something that feels lighter than meat and veggies.

Cheers,

Friday
  #97   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 14:31
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default frozen yogurt...

if you have an ice cream maker (or some rock salt and ice) you can now make frozen yogurt. No recipes necessary. Just freeze it. No more missing ice cream for me!

I have an individual sized Donvier ice cream maker and it lets me make single servings of ice cream almost on demand.

I just looked at their web site and they have frozen popsicle molds - to make yogurt pops. Just in time for summer - YUM!

I am so happy to hear about yogurt!!!!
  #98   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 14:44
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Default frozen yogurt...

if you have an ice cream maker (or some rock salt and ice) you can now make frozen yogurt. No recipes necessary. Just freeze it. No more missing ice cream for me!

I have an individual sized Donvier ice cream maker and it lets me make single servings of ice cream almost on demand.

I just looked at their web site and they have frozen popsicle molds - to make yogurt pops. Just in time for summer - YUM!

I am so happy to hear about yogurt!!!!
  #99   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 06:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/182/160
BF:
Progress: 27%

OKay,
Sorry to be monotonous with this question, but I have looked everywhere for full fat yogurt. Last night I finally found some at the local super k-mart, Stoneyfield Farms. I couldn't believe it!
I ran home and tried it (with a pack of splenda and some Atkins strawberry syrup) and it was delicious. Afterwards I noticed that it had something like 12 grams of sugar in it. Did I get the wrong one? I realize you all have been talking about how the active cultures (which it had six of) cancelled this out, but I just wanted to make doublesure before I ate any more.
Thanks!
  #100   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 06:30

I know Mbush it's very confusing. The rule is that the active cultures eat about 8g of sugar, thus a cup should have about 4g.

I don't get it either! I eat Stoneyfield Farms too... very good. I love that first bowl too because you get a lot of the cream layer.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 06:48
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally posted by Skamito
The rule is that the active cultures eat about 8g of sugar, thus a cup should have about 4g.

I know there are various articles that say this, but I'm not convinced that it's true. Several times, I've tried the yogurt with two or more active cultures and no added sugar. The container states 14 g of carbs, but I keep hoping that the active cultures eat it down to 4 g as the articles suggest. I'm a type 2 diabetic and my blood sugar is very sensitive to carbs. 1 g of carb gives about a 5 point rise in blood glucose. These yogurts raise my blood glucose by 60-70 points. That tells me that they have about 12 to 14 g of carbs--not 4 g.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 12:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:

I doubt that my Stonyfield yogurt has only 4 carbs a cup. I think they list 16 on the label so it would be more like 8 carbs at least.

The first bowl with the cream on top Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!!!

I like mine with chocolate Designer Whey protein powder after a weight workout for a quick meal.

Beth
  #103   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 12:39

I believe you Carolyn... should stress Your Mileage May Vary!

I'm too confused about the whole thing, but I love my yogurt too much to care.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 18:10
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Comments and Questions

Quote:
Brown Cow Cream Top is AWESOME! I am now purchasing it over Stoneyfield Farms because it tastes so good. Quite rich and not sour at all. I can even eat it without sweetener!

Skamito, I think the more tart the yogurt is, the more lactose has been eaten by the bacteria. I sure wish these manufacturers would provide the *specific* ECC for their brand!

Quote:
My favorite yogurt trick is to add my protein powder and my psyllium to a quart of full fat yogurt.

Friday, how much psyllium do you use? Do you add it directly to the quart container or as you serve it? Does it affect the taste and texture? And how much protein powder do you add? I think your ideas for combining these items are great!

Quote:
I'm a type 2 diabetic and my blood sugar is very sensitive to carbs. 1 g of carb gives about a 5 point rise in blood glucose. These yogurts raise my blood glucose by 60-70 points.

CarolynC, it must be a YMMV thing like Skamita said, because I too, am type II super-responder to any carbs I eat. I consistently get a 5 point increase with 1 cup plain full fat yogurt, unless it's first thing in the morning, in which case my blood glucose actually lowers with food intake!

Thanks to all the participants of this thread,
XOXO Monika
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 01:37

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thank you SO MUCH for this article!!!

As any low carber I am always looking for new things to eat for breakfast and lunch and to learn that yogurt is okay was fantastic!

I just had my first bowl tonight with some atkins cherry syrup flavoring (for sweetner) and 3 strawberries and it was like a dream!!!

Thank you!!