Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Dannon is the only brand of yogurt that I can find full fat of around here in Florida..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 11:02

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile nice change from bacon and eggs

I had the flu yesterday and today I couldn't bring myself to eat eggs and bacon again. I mixed a cup of Stoneyfield full fat palin yogurt with about a 1/4 c of blueberries and about a tsp Splenda. It was great. The best part is a had no cravings afterwards. Vonnie
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%

This sounds really good.
i had questions about the sugar content, but they were resolved. It would be great to find a 'sugar-free' sweet yogurt because I actually like it better that way. I have to say that I am missing the fruit stuff right now......<sigh> I am sure it will pass, but I dreamnt about strawberries last night. big fat, red ones....man, this is bad. Just kidding.

Thanks for the info!!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%

Ok, pushing this yogurt thing back up to the top......

I found plain, full fat yogurt at "Whole Foods Market" which lists only whole milk and the friendly bacteria. So I think thats ok. Still the question stands...... Is yogurt ok to have???? Has anyone noticed any "stall" since starting to have it???? I know that too much dairy can cause stalls.....(hidden carbs, hard to control serving sizes, and very calorie dense)

I have been trying to cut out the sour cream and cream while cooking but if yogurt is 4 grams of carb per cup VS 16 grams listed per cup of sour cream and cream.... Sounds like a good thing to use if the recipe will still work.....

Next, How about Kefir? Kefir to the best of my understanding is kinda like liquid yogurt. And this thing called quark??? Whats that????

Has anyone used yogurt or the yogurt "cheese" while cooking? Could we use it instead of sour cream in certain dishes???? Karen from Canada any thoughts??????

Thanks,

Kansas5

Last edited by Kansas5 : Fri, Feb-14-03 at 15:09.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 18:36

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Once I read that one cup of full fat plain yogurt has only 4 carbs I have had it almost every night with splenda and blueberries and have not been out of ketosis yet. Vonnie
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 21:14

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

and if you have a Trader Joes, they have a wonderful full fat yogurt by Straus
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm bumping this because it's an oft-asked quetion.

#23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 11:28

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I love the Stoneyfield Whole Milk yogurt too. They have it at Publix.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:38

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default Stoneyfield

Quote:
Originally posted by freydis
Thank you for the recommendation! Can you tell me what to do about the cream layer?

I eat it with a spoon... all by it's self... I love the taste of yogurt!

The Walmart brand is Blue Bunny... it is sweetened with splenda... they only have low/no fat though.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:48

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Oh Happy Day! I'm so glad to read and understand this. My favorite brand of yogurt is Mountain High. It's the only whole milk yogurt found around here and it's delicious. In my pre LC days I didn't buy it because of the fat. Now I find I can have it. It's so good I can eat it plain.
Love it with cucubers too.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:16
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I checked the Atkins' website - the info there is anything but clear.

From the Atkin's Website:

"rorocigio: Is it true that yogurt has less carbs than the label says because the active cultures eat all the lactose?
Dr. Atkins: The labels on yogurt are every bit as troublesome as the numbers indicate ." - Yahoo Chat - Dr. Atkins on Lowering Cardiac Risk Factors

"Yogurt is just as problematic. Eight ounces of plain, whole-milk yogurt contain almost 11 grams of carbohydrate; the flavored yogurts contain even more." - The Case Against Milk

"The researchers had a group of people with hypertension add extra calcium to their diets in the form of 2 cups of yogurt a day. The idea was that the 800 milligrams or so of extra dietary calcium would help the participants lower their blood pressure. It did—and they also lost an average of 11 pounds over the year the experiment lasted, even though they weren’t dieting and the yogurt added extra calories to their daily intake." - Calcium and Weight Loss
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 20:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:

Re the cream layer on the Stoneyfield - I mix it in - I think that's the intent and it sure makes it good ! It's great with a little splenda and some raspberries - I use the frozen ones for now since fresh are not in season.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 20:56

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Strange assortment of quotes, GotBeer. Seems like at one point Atkins says he believes yogurt is full of carbs and on the other hand, yogurt aids in weight loss!

As with anything we discuss here, it's pretty much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. But for my money, the research is there to indicate that live active cultures eat away the lactose in yogurt. The best thing is to try it and see how it works for you.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 05:38
Registered Member

Stats: 340/270/240 Male 6'2"
BF:52/28/22
Default Grandma taught me ...

Yogurt (Mahzoon) is great with salt ... yeah ... I drop ice cubes in and salt ... amazingly cold and tasty ... even better use pieces of cucumber and salt ...

Enjoy!

Larry

PS. This thread just made me SOOOOOOOO happy, THANKS!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 10:17
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Will try it!

Skamito - you are likely correct.

I eat a lot of cheese and it has yet to stall me out, so yogurt may work for me. The active cultures in Yogurt are also supposed to be good for people with Ulcerative Colitis (like me) so I'll give it a shot. I'll report back my results for good or ill. There is a Whole Foods near me that sells a lovely unsweetened Bulgarian yogurt (forgot the brand name - sorry) so I'll start with that.

I like to mix in few nuts (pecans or walnuts) and berries (blackberries / blueberries).