Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:05

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

This seems to be the most popular simersizing post... just want to let you all know I have lost 3 lbs since I started somersizing a couple of weeks ago... I am very psyched... I had a 6 week stall on Atkins, and now that I have added in a carbos meal every other day, the weight is finally slipping off
TY Somers!

Last edited by jedigddss : Mon, Feb-03-03 at 13:06.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:05

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi everyone!

I'd thoroughly recommend the Montignac plan for those of you considering Sommersizing... I think that the Sommersize plan is based mainly on Montignac, from what I've read.

Spang
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:10

BF:

OOooops!

I forgot to mention, if you are interested, the Montignac plan was devised by a doctor who specialized in Type 2 diabetes - for thw diabetics on this thread... and you can eat certain kinds of chocolate - for the chocoholics on this thread

spang
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:05

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Can I have some information on this, please?

I am not familiar with this.

Thanks.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:08

BF:

Hi there

Love the Hello Kitty

Montignac Method in a couple of sentances...

Michael Montignac is a French doctor, who discovered the link in his Type 2 diabetes patients that when they picked their foods carefully, they were able to regulate the insulin levels in their blood much more effectively. A "side effect" of this insulin control was that the pounds began to shed.

Thus came about the principle of Glycemic Index, the lower the GI of the food, the less of a spike and trough in the blood sugar level, the easier the food is to digest, cholesterol levels improve.... leading to weight loss.

Like many of these diet plans, it is based on 2 phases. Phase 1 is based around eating very low GI foods (less than 35 or so), for the body's metabolism to be able to revert to the proper state, and insulin release controlled. This is where you lose weight fast, but not as fast as plans like Atkins. Phase 2, where you can eat a wider variety of things, as the body's insulin release works properly, so can digest more things. This is the weight maintaining "phase" and is intended to be how you eat for the rest of your life.

The first Montinganc book, Eat Slim.... and Stay Slim (or something like that) goes into a lot more detail. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

To evolve this diet further, contemporary thinking is placing more importance on the Glycemic Load of foods, rather than Glycemic Index. Glycemic Load is the concentration of carbs in a typical serving of food.

A really good resource from Gylcemic Load is here:-
http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

And this website also recommends this book (which I have yet to check out) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...e=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mentioned Chocolate. It is acceptable to eat chocolate with high cocoa solids in it (over 70%) - basically dark chocolate. Red wine is also acceptable.

A quick run down of bad foods from the top of my head:-
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Any kind of soda, diet or otherwise
Beer
Potatoes
cooked carrots
overcooked pasta
certain types of rice
Butter
Refined foods (including sugars, bread / wheat, cereals etc)

The diet is less about counting calories, carbs, dietary suppliments, and to a certain extent choosing food groups. It is more about fresh ingredients, and changing eating habits for life.

I've been on this plan for about 7 months, and have lost about 30 lbs. I consider myself to be on a mix of phase 1 and phase 2 right now, as I have widened my food choices, and have maintained my weight loss for about 2 months, including a 1 week lapse over Christmas, when I didn't put a lb back on, despite eating badly. According to Montignac, this is perfectly normal once you have "reset" your body's metabolism.

I'm Engllish, and have been living in the US for a while, and I've noticed that whereas Montignac is quite well known in Europe, it is relatively unheard of in North America. In the US, it seems to be eclipsed by plans such as Sugar Busters of Sommersizing - which to me seem to be borrowing much from Montignac. For example - try finding a description of Montignac on this website under the "Which plan for me?" Quick link...

In fact, in the preface to Sugar Busters! it even says they copy Montignac...

I hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Spang
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 01:41

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default So far so WONDERFUL!

I've been having fun reading through this forum, and this thread in particular. I have never been on a "diet" before, just dropped weight by cutting sweets and junk and exercising more in the past. I've eaten fewer and better carbs for the last year or so, but finally, after climbing back up to my highest weight ever, I decided to follow a few rules in hopes of getting some consistancy.

I started Somersizing three weeks ago and have lost 13 pounds so far! I started losing after three days, so I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing. The diet is a little too high fat for my tastes, so I do lower fat dairy and lean meats. I despise non-fat dairy though, as other people here have found, I found it hard to do SS carb meals. I have had luck with Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread (pick out the raisins) with nonfat cream cheese and Hi-Lo Back to Nature cereal, which is a little sweet without added sugars in some skim milk. For breakfast about three times a week I do a fruit smoothie first thing in the morning, go for a power walk, and then have a bowl of cereal or slice of toast. Otherwise I do pro/fats breakfasts of eggs, cheese and veggies.

I was kind of surprised at how many people said they felt more energetic on SS. I've been so tired since I started. I am not measuring ketones in my urine, but must be in ketosis because I am losing so fast and get so tired when I'm hiking or walking. Probably because I did almost no carbs the first two weeks because I couldn't combine them with fats. I do eat at least one fruit meal or snack every day though, or I drink orange or apple juice instead of one of my between meal glasses of water.

These last few days I've slowed down quite a bit, but I think it's because I got my order of chocolate truffles from the SS website and have had one each day, or I do a cup of SS hot chocolate with Splenda and whole milk. Guess I can't do that daily and still lose. Had unbuttered popcorn at the movies the other day because I wasn't sure if it was ok, and NOTHING else was, that's for sure! It wasn't. Oops.

Anyway, I really like this program because I can have some of almost everything, so I know it's balanced and my hormones aren't going to go nuts and it's not so high in proteins I'll get gout. But the key for me is that there are plenty of legal sweets that are NOT cheating, so I don't crave.

Now I just fret about my calcium/phosphorous ratios and wonder where I can get a good Calcium supplement that isn't chock full of sugar?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 23:25
Marda

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Just bought Sommer's fast and easy book. I don't mind her selling. For me it's a service when I don't have to figure it all out or can buy something edible and tastey already made. (Atkin's baking mix is to die for when I just have to have a pancake) I haven't purchased any of her products, but will be trying some. I've had some health challenges and I'm finding that her combining seems to be much easier on my digestion. I also have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and have controlled it for two years with a modified Atkins but have devloped osteopenia and my gut just started to rebel at all the meat I was eating. I even considered vegan low-carb but don't think I can ever get there. Sommer's seems to be more balanced and she is remarkably intelligent in her discussions on insulin. I was surprised and impressed by her knowledge. Her start up is very low-carb and I'm finding that if I'm careful to combine as she suggests, it doesn't spike my blood sugar or hurt my stomach. I have been off-line for quite awhile trying to figure out how to proceed without taking major medication. I would like to participate on this thread and I'll let you know how it's going with me. I'm in the process of getting completely on her start-up, but don't know how I'll get off caffeine.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 04:56

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 125/125/125
BF:
Progress:
Wink my two cents

Hi,

I am totally new here, so I am, kind of, introducing myself by putting in my two cents worth.. lol (and we all know what that is worth! )

I have about a gazillion lbs to lose. I didn't put the accurate amount down on the form, because I can't look at the real numbers yet.

I digress.. lol

I like most everyone am combining both atkins/somersizing.

Kelly, I agree with you about her "selling" in the fast & easy book. DROVE ME CRAZY!! Not withstanding, I liked the recipes..

I have all her books... the 2 best, imho, are EGLW and Get Skinny. They have good info, without all the selling, and the recipes aren't so sweet or creamy. Of course, this is IMHO...

I am just now getting back on an eating plan. So I will let y'all know how it works... I have to lose way over 100 lbs.. so I will be here for awhile........

thanks
reva
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 07:07

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Reva...welcome!
It doesn't matter if you have alot of weight to lose or a little. You have to do it one day at a time. Or one meal at a time.

I have lost over 50+ pounds a few years ago by LCing. Kept most of it off, but in the last 6-9 months, the pounds started to add up again. So I am back to lose 10-15 pounds. So even though my stats look like I only just started this way of eating..I have been doing it for awhile.

I am still new to the somersizing woe. I like to have oatmeal in the mornings. So if I keep my pro/fats away from the carbs I should do pretty well.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:36

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Smile I am switching too!

Hi everyone!

I decided today that I want to start back on SS. I was introduced to SS's WOE the summer of 2001 and did very well on it. I lost 20lbs. I couldn't believe it. It was slow, but very steady weight loss. (1 lb to 2lbs a week) Since the fall of 2001, my eating has become very relaxed and as a result I gained back the 20lbs.....PLUS another 20ish! I about died when I got on the scale this past Christmas holiday! I said to myself this absolutely ridiculous!! I will turn 30 later this year and I want to feel good again and be healthy!!

I have been doing Atkins since 2/10/03 am I very discouraged. I decided to start out on Atkins to help jump start my weight loss. So much for that brilliant idea!! I am down a total of 4 lbs. Not really what I call a jump start. Over the past 5 weeks I have lost, gained, and stalled. I have lost inches from my bust, waist, hips, but....I want the darn scale to move!

I know LC'ing works for me, but I think my current eating plan still needs some tweaking. I am going to go back to SS for 2 weeks and see if my results will change.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 17:33

BF:
Default Poop on the scale!

I know exactly what you mean, it's nice to see the scale move, but if you are losing inches then you are LOSING FAT! That's all that matters, right? So Atkins did work for you after all.

Did you happen to increase your activity levels at the same time you changed what you were eating? Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so you can lose fat while gaining muscle and actually GAIN weight while losing inches. If you stick to either plan I think you'll lose just as you did before.

Out of curiosity, what made you slide back into your old eating habits after losing on the SS plan before? I really hope to Somersize for the rest of my life, or at least stay low carb anyway. The food has been so good, overall better than my diet before I started, that it seems as if it should be easy to keep eating this way indefinitely. I can see myself cheating with a dessert here and an extra glass of wine or two there, but not going back to bad carbs and junk food. I'm curious what made you slip. Just wondering what to look out for, 'cause we're all in the same boat!

And welcome Reva! You'll find everyone here really helpful and supportive. May you reach your goal and stay there!
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:29

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46

Mamabeek,
Thanks for your reply. To answer your question about how I "slipped" - it's easy. I got lazy. I was so proud of myself for losing and I was feeling good about my body etc... I felt like I could treat myself to eating what I wanted. Plain and simple - I fell back into old eating habits. It doesn't help that I suffer from mild depression either and I am a food addict. Food is how I cope with EVERYTHING. Food addiction is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. However, I am getting stronger and learning to handle and manage my impulses much better these days.

I have learned that I can't blame my weight issues on anyone else but me. I have used my parent's divorce, my Father's obessive behavior about my weight amongst other things for causing/perpetuating my weight problem. I can not do that anymore. I am an adult and responsible for my own behavior. I am overweight b/c of the food choices I have made. Don't mean to get too deep on ya here! (i guess I have read/watched too much Dr.Phil!!)

I hope this helps! It wasn't a specific food or an event that triggered me. It was a number of past issues I hadn't really been able to wrap my mind around yet. OR wanted to wrap my mind around for that matter. I am slowly learning to deal with my food issues and I feel confidant that I am making some real progress. I have decided to embrace this WOE b/c I know it works too!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:53

BF:

Craftygirl...Glad you came back to LCing, you know it works! And you know you feel better while LCing.

I know I gained 10-15 pounds int he past year because I too got 'laxed" about LCing. PLUS, my workout routine went from working out tat the gym 5-6 times a week down to 0 times a week.
While I was working out, I would be able to eat a few more carbs during the day because I was buring them off, but once I stopped working out, I didn't re-adjust my carbs and the weight slowing crept up on me.

Now I am LCing PLUS working out at the gym again! YEAH! so I am heading in the right direction to be "the best ME I can BE in 2003"
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:24

BF:
Default LOL! Nice rhyme Kelly!

But just as I asked that question CraftyGirl I found my own way of screwing up my diet. Suzanne writes about loving her Grapenuts and having them whenever she wants, with skim milk. Well I've always loved Grapenuts but quit eating them because they were so hard on my teeth. I looked at the ingredients and they said "wheat flour" which is not ok. But on the FAQs on Suzanne's site it says that though Post was not allowed to say "whole wheat" on their ingredients because of something they do to the grain, it is intact in terms of the husks and phytochemicals, so it is indeed legal. So I got some and let it soak a little in skim milk and heated it. Oh my, oh my, oh MY! Now my problem is that it tastes so good I've had a carb breakfast every day for three days and I can't stop at one bowl, either! I found myself wanting "just a little bowl" before bed last night too.

ARRRRRGH! I should have stuck to my Hi-Lo, which fills me up so much I don't want another bowl and I only have it a couple of times a week. And it's been raining for several days here so I haven't been walking, just using my thighmaster and doing a few crunches is all. Anybody got a long enough leg to reach out here and kick me in the kaboose?
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:49

BF:
Talking Kick in the kaboose!!!!!!!!!!

You asked for it...so here you go....[thwap] that is a kick in the kaboose! LOL

Now you learned something...first you LOVE grapenuts heated up a bit...wonderful breakfast carb meal!
Second thing you learned....It is so good that it triggers a craving for it. Is it a true "carb" craving? Or more of a mental craving?

I believe there are two types of cravings. first being a carb craving, triggered by high and low of blood sugar. This is a physical type of craving.

Second being...a mental craving. You can't pass by a donut shop with out craving a donut, or the smell of a certain food causes cravings. THis has to be mental because i don't think smell can raise your blood sugar...but yet when I smell bread baking it just makes we want it more. I think we have learned from the smell that we want the food.

I could mention the PMS cravings but I think that has alot to do with change in blood sugar with the change in hormone levels. I would group this with carb type of cravings.

Don't ask me how to stop either one of these types cravings, but figuring out what type of craving you have is a step in the right direction.

There are foods I consider "danger" foods for me. I can't eat one serving without sending my body into a carb craving afterwards. And of course most of things on my "danger" list are big NO NO's to start with. But I am tempted (usually at social situations) to have a small taste. Then I am doomed the rest of the day. A downward spiral.
On the list:
gummi candy
cake
bread- rolls (usually alone dinner roll type of thing)
cereal
chips
pretzels
popcorn

All these foods are no no food, but I can't handle just one bite of them or I am doomed the rest of the day.