Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 20:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

ok i skipped around this thread a bit - so apologies if i'm posting what's already been said:

pork ribs:
buy a rack of them. on the back side there is a very thin membrane, you have to remove that with a sharp knife. it's a pain but worth it - it's tough when cooked so we don't like that. then cut them into about 2 ribs per 'hunk' and then boil them suckers till you can lift one up with a fork and the meat starts to slide off (round 40 min?). season the water with whatever strikes your fancy.

then bbq them on the grill. a NORTH CAROLINIAN sauce is the very best in the ENtire world, bar none. should make yer jaw tingle.

beef ribs:
same procedure for slicing off membrane & cutting into one or 2 rib hunks. take a deep baking pan & place ribs in, one layer per pan! cover with water & season at will. bake on a med temp (350 to 400) for a good hour minimum. again, the goal is to lift one up and have the meat start to slide off the bone.

again, bbq after this with a lovely, tangy bbq sauce!

only takes a few minutes for either rib type to bbq - just cook on the grill till they start to look & smell done (slightly crispy & juicy).
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 15:58

Stats: 218/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Made these last night, heated the oven to 500 then down to 275, added some BBQ sauce after about 2-1/2 hrs. They were great. I think next time I will boil in the vinegar and compare.

JoAnn
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Just found out the hard way that there's a big difference in the best cooking method between baby back and regular ribs.

I've been cooking baby back ribs since this thread first started with excellent results, thanks to Penelope's recipe. There's plenty of meat on the ribs, it's just that the bones are much smaller and there's no fat.

Today, I bought regular ribs for the first time and the store owner mentioned that I should boil them in water first. I could see they had a lot of fat, so boiling made sense. Unfortunately, he only told me to boil them for five minutes (I should have re-read this thread beforehand). These ribs did have a lot more meat on them, but what a greasy mess! Ugh!

Just wanted to pass this along for any "newbie" ribbers!

judy
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 09:10

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

They all sound good, I cook mine like Donald, without the vinegar.

HOWEVER....

If you used to Love Honey Garlic Ribs,,,

HERES THE SAUSE FOR YOU...

LOW SODIUM SOYA SAUCE, PUREED FRESH GARLIC, SPLENDA, AND WATER, MIX ALL TOGETHER, AS MUCH AS NEEDED TO GET THE TASTE YOU WANT, I DONT MEASURE, JUST PLAY AROUND TO GET THE AMOUNT AND THE DESIRES FLAVOUR,

WILL BE VERY DARK AND THIN, CAN THICKEN IT WITH THICK N THIN IF YOU WANT, I DONT, WHILE MY RIBS ARE IN THE OVEN I BASTE THEM EVERY 10 MINITES WITH THE MOCK HONEY GARLIC SAUCE.

AMAZING, IS ALL I CAN SAY.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 19:40

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I have been missing honey garlic--that sound great, StallQueen! Thanks.

judy
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:12

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Saveur's KC Style Beef rib recipe - Low Carb modified

After the butcher cuts a rib roast off the bone, he is left with a seven- or eight-bone slab of ribs. These beef ribs are chewier than pork ribs, but can be succulent if cooked correctly. This is how it is done at the K.C. Masterpiece restaurants.

1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup salt
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2 slabs beef ribs, each about 3 lbs.
barbecue sauce

1. Mix together pepper, paprika, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Transfer rub to an airtight container.
2. Blot ribs with paper towels, then pierce all over the backs of ribs with a fork. Cut off silver-skin/membrane as needed, and liberally sprinkle dry rub on both sides of ribs, rub in well. Cover and refrigerate for 4–24 hours. Remove meat from 'fridge 1 hour before grilling so it's room temp before you put it on grill.

3. Prepare and preheat grill. Hickory is used at K.C. Masterpiece and indirect heat is recommended, so if using a standard charcoal grill, arrange coals to one side. Grill is ready when temperature reaches 200°–225°. Place ribs on grill rack, close lid, and cook for 4–6 hours, adding more coals and wood as needed. Ribs are done when meat shrinks about 1'' up the bone and they “give” when you wiggle the bones, but about 30 minutes before they get to this point, baste once with sauce.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:18

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:

Saveur's Baby Back Ribs, Low Carb modified

Loin or baby back ribs are more expensive than other pork ribs, but are easier to cook.

4 slabs skinned baby back ribs, 1 1/2–2 lbs. each
1/2 cup dry rub (use Dry Rub in recipe above)

1. Prepare and preheat grill. Paul Kirk uses a combination of oak, hickory, and apple to flavor the smoke and recommends indirect heat, so if using a standard charcoal grill, arrange coals to one side. Grill is ready when temperature reaches 230°–250°.

2. Blot ribs with paper towels, then sprinkle on both sides with dry rub. Arrange slabs on grill rack, over drip pan and away from coals. Cover grill and cook for 4–6 hours, adding more coals and wood as needed. Midway through cooking, turn ribs. Ribs are done when you can gently pull them apart with your gloved hands. Transfer slabs to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly, then cut between individual ribs. Serve with barbecue sauce if you like.

VARIATION—Spareribs, which come from the belly of the pig, next to the bacon, do not have as much meat as baby back ribs. They are, however, full of gristle and fat. This makes them juicier and, many people argue, gives them more pork flavor. Substitute 2 slabs skinned spareribs, 3–4 lbs. each, for baby backs and proceed with recipe above. Cook until ribs are tender enough to be pulled apart, 6–8 hours.

Note that most dry rub recipes call for brown sugar. I don't think the low-carb substitutes work well, so I just do without.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 182/177/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Sauce

Not sure how lc bbq sauce can get, but here is a sweet and sour recipe you can play with and adjust to suit your daily allowance. It really depends on how sweet or sour you like it.

1/2 cup Hunts Roasted Garlic Tomatoe Sauce (6 carbs)
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar (3.5 carbs)
Sugar Twin (Brown) to taste (4 tsp=1.5 carbs)
Honey(be careful! I usually only use about 1/2 teaspoon=8.5 carbs)
1/2 tsp Paprika (about .5 carbs)
Mustard to taste (1 tsp= .4 carbs)
Salt
Pepper

I used to make this with ketchup in place of the tomatoe sauce, and add garlic, however I now prefer the Hunts.
Depending on the meat used, we sometimes add hot sauce or cayenne pepper.

Checking my notes, I put this at about 1.5-2 carbs a TBSP, but don't quote me, count your carbs based on the ingredients you have.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-04, 12:11

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Another version right from Dr. Atkins'

Hot Barbecue Sauce - 20 tablespoons

Recipe taken straight from Dr. Atkins' New Diet Cookbook, page 181

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, choppped
1 clove, garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
tabasco sauce to taste
3 packets sugar substitute
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 cup water

Melt butter in saucepan. Saute onion and garlic until golden, Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Store in covered jars and refrigerate.

Total Grams 16.7
Grams per Tblspoon 0.8

(When I make this recipe I usually multiply the recipe by four and use 1 cup tomato sauce....I then store it in sealer jars) That's how much I like it.

Basically I boil my ribs - 20 -30 minutes, and cool....pour on enough sauce to coat them and leave them to refrigerate overnight. I use a zip lock bag for this. This works more like marinating them more then having a sauce on them. It's not a "thick" sauce and doesn't "stick on the ribs", like sugar sauces.

This sauce doesn't particularly smell great to me....(it's the wine vinegar)....BUT boy does it take great when cooked with the ribs. I always end up with very, very, mouth watering ribs.

I bake them for 25-20 minutes at 350.

Last edited by Sharon : Sat, Feb-14-04 at 16:23.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:18

Plan: just do it
Stats: 140/131/115 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 36%

boil them in a big pot of water with some crab boil for about 15 minutes prior to putting on the grill or in the oven--the crab boil gives them just a hint of spicy flavor and the meat will fall off the bones!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 23:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

mmm I just made ribs tonight. I split my ribs. I made half of them following Penelope's recipe and half following Donald's recipe.

The first half I seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and hot paprika. I rubbed it in really well and baked it. After 2 hours I started basting with a BBQ sauce I made. It was very good but I should have taken off the membrane. It wasn't as tender as I would have expected but it was good. My BF liked this method best.

The second method I boiled the ribs in water, white and cider vinegar and some spices. It was kinda nasty when I took it out of the water and I thought it would be gross. One nice thing was that after I boiled it the membrane pulled right off! my BF threw it on the grill for a few minutes and then basted with the BBQ sauce and grilled it some more. I Loved it!!! it was crispy and tender and melted in my mouth!

The BBQ sauce I made
I took some evoo and I heated it. I threw in some garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, black pepper and hot paprika. I let it cook in the evoo for about a minute then I added some diet rite, some 1 carb ketchup, soy sauce, cider vinegar and a couple of drops of liquid smoke. I let it cook down to thicken up a bit. It was a little runnier than I would have liked, so I added a little tomato paste to thicken it up some and let it boil, then I let it cook on low for a while. It thickened more as it cooled down. The BBQ sauce was really good! I will definitely make it again.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 09:31

Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I put mine in my pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes. Then grill for about 15 minutes. Wonderful.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 20:11

Stats: 268/264/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

My sister-in-law made wonderful ribs with a low carb BBQ rub. She refuses to share her recipes!!! Does anyone have a rub recipe that they can share?
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 19:14

Stats: 214/170/165 Male 5-8
BF:
Progress: 90%

awsome receipes
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jul-12-06, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniebug15
My sister-in-law made wonderful ribs with a low carb BBQ rub. She refuses to share her recipes!!! Does anyone have a rub recipe that they can share?

Wow, I gotta wonder about a family member that won't share a recipe. What's her justification?