Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:00

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 177.6/180/129
BF:
Progress: -5%
Smile CAD Questions and Comments

Can I just say that the Heller's have nailed the cure to carbohydrate addiction! I have been doing this for almost one week and feel amazing. I lost my cravings and with them two pounds that months on Atkins couldn't melt. All the while enjoying my favorite foods. In fact, does anyone else get embarrassed when eating a reward meal with someone who knows you are watching your weight? They don't understand that yes this does work.
I have a question about the reward meal though. Is it o.k. if you're at a restaurant and they take like 20 minutes before bringing the dessert? Of course you still are able to eat it within the 1 hour limit, but there's a big empty space in the middle. Just wondering if this might release an extra surge of insulin. Is it better to eat the entire reward meal without any pauses? Also, do you sometimes get so excited at the reward meal that it starts to feel like a race. I've noticed myself eating way too fast! and feeling real stuffed afterwards.
One thing that probably slowed my loss a bit is the cottage cheese I had last night. The Heller's were right to put an asterick next to it. I had 2 servings of it and within a few hours I had the worst cravings I've ever had! I couldn't sleep and had to get up in the middle of the night and have tuna fish - that stopped the cravings quickly. But I don't think I'll be having cottage cheese except for a reward meal anytime soon. Just something that I learned and wanted to share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:04

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

From what I understood of the book, it does not matter if you ate a salad in the first 5 minutes, and then woofed down the rest in the last ten (45 minute difference), as long as you stay WITHIN the hour time limit. Although if you did that, your stomach would probably kick you in your, uhhh.. stomach, lol, and you're gonna feel the effect of it later.

Hehehe, I'm gonna admit something really stupid , but just to keep myself in check, I think of my pancreas as a security guard. He only sleeps ONE hour out of the day, so that is the time I sneak in my carbs. He gets up at precisely ONE hour on the dot, so if I'm still eating carbs, he is gonna catch me and shoot me with a big surge of insulin. Lol.. I know, I know, but hey, I work better that way!! Hahahahahaha....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:25

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Awwww. I think that's so CUTE!!! And very true, too. Hooray for us, he sleeps one hour.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The carbs have gone to you guys heads. You're punch drunk on RM. But I, too, have to remind myself to slow down. Sometimes, if the food is especially good, I eat way too fast. Sometimes I make myself count chews. If you don't slow down, you can wind up eating too much food and your stomach lets you know. Not a good feeling.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:33

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Cool Cute thread

Another one loving this WOL, here.

CALP question:
In your opinion, is there any negative effects to eating the same vegetable every day at CM's?

I have been on a cucumber kick (no wise comments needed). You don't have to cook them, so they are great for work. I like veggies, but the ones on the list seem so unappealing to me right now.

Any problems with being a cuke addict? LOL

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 12:59

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
Stats: 186/173/150
BF:
Progress: 36%
Talking

I agree about eating too fast. I went hog wild last night. I hope I am doing this right. It is my fourth day, and I don't even own a scale yet (I threw away the old one long ago).

Do complementary meals still include servings of food with 4g or less of carbo per serving? How many of such servings are allowed? In other words, how much dressing and cheese is acceptable? This confuses me much

Also, in the first week, is it common to still be hungry after complementry meals? I ate an hour ago and am feeling the pain of hunger still.

This is a great WOL, I hope it works for me. I tested as a severe addict.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 19:24
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Julie
Eat all the cukes you want. They help release water. They are not the most nourishing vegetable though. Do try some others.

Flitter
If you are hungry after CM then your carb count is too high. Check for hidden carbs. Are you drinking diet soda? Sometimes CAs react to AS as if they were real sugar. Do you drink coffee? If so are you drinking it within 15 minutes? Check your salad dressings, if you are using more than 2 tablespoons, you can be overdoing the carbs at CM. Cheese is fine. I have a CAD/CALP cheat sheet if you'd like to send me your email.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 09:28

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
Stats: 186/173/150
BF:
Progress: 36%
Lightbulb

I would love to see the sheet...I will send you my email. Thanks.

I just picked up the CALP book last night. I hope it clears up any confusion that CAD caused.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%

luv67fire: I *love* your pancreas security guard story - it is just way too cute. I'll have to try that - I've been known to go past my 1 hr limit .

gatorgal: I've been eating cukes and hb eggs and cheese for breakfast for a while, same every day. I also eat a salad for lunch, same every day, I just vary the protein I eat with the salad. It's been working great for me. Some of the veggies on the acceptable list are not appealing to me either (ewww, collard greens LOL!!! I love that little puke guy.).

flitter: Also make sure you are getting enough protein with your CMs. It will help fill you up.

Happy Sunday!

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 19:43

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi. I've been reading the posts for a few days and thought I'd jump in. I was on CAD about three years ago and didn't do very well--overindulgence at RMs did me in. So, 20 lbs. higher and three years later, I'm trying again. However, I gave away my book and don't want to purchase another. I really like low carb pancakes made with protein powder and eggs, but can't remember if they are "legal" for CMs. The protein powder I use is pure soy isolate and has 0 grams carb. No added stuff to it at all. The pancakes come out under 4 grams per serving. Thanks, Brigit-Carol
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 19:47

BF:

Zuleika, how do I send you my e-mail address for the cheat sheet? If this is in a FAQ or something, just direct me to that.
Thanks, Brigit-Carol
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:49

Plan: CAD/Atkins/CALP
Stats: 265/176/150 Female 164 cms
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hey Zule

Can I have a cheat sheet as well?????
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 22:11

Plan: Atkins---> CAD!
Stats: 126/116/116
BF:
Progress: 100%

May I have the cheat sheet as well? thanks so much =)

my email is vpkt~aol.com

only when you can, and have time

thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 10:01
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Brigit
The pancakes should be legal. Keep carbs at this meal at 4-8, you don't have to count the carbs in the eggs.

Anyone who wants CAD/CALP cheat sheet can PM me their email.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 07:44

BF:
Unhappy

I would like a copy of the CAD/CALP cheat sheet. 've tried using the Private message for Zuleika both from the icon at the bottom of her message and from her profile page, but keep getting a message saying I don't have permission to access it. Can anyone tell me another way to to send a private message? Thank you, Brigit-Carol