Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:07

Plan: CAD
Stats: 178/166/145
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default zuleikaa

I checked the labels for beef jerky,macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds(I assumed the seeds were sunflower when you mentioned seeds?)anyway,they all contained sugar. Where do you get yours so I can be sure to buy sugar free..thanks..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:11

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 180/158/145
BF:
Progress: 63%

I usually order a lot of low carb foods from on line.

amy
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Amy

VBW is absolutely right. Beer is not allowed as a complementary meal or with a complementary meal. Her suggestion was right on! A reward meal can be moved for special occasions. On the night a week you go out for beers with your girlfriends have your reward meal then. Don't forget, though, beers and food must be consumed within 60 minutes.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 16:12
Finding the Pieces

BF:

vbw

I don't have a problem. Are we talking carbs or sugars? Try to find dry roasted or salted macadamia nuts. They have 4 grams of carb but 3 grams of fiber.

Sunflower seeds usually come salted. Do not buy honey roasted.

The only problem I usually have is finding the beef jerky. I have to read plenty of labels but have found two with just 1 gram carb.

On CAD do not use anything with over 3 grams net carbs per servings and count servings.

You might need to just look around in more stores. Drug stores/pharmacy stores usually carry the dry roasted macadamia nutes.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 16:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I don't mean net carbs on fake foods but rather when you subtract the fiber.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 19:48

BF:

ok,I am confused..I need to watch total carbs?but not worry about sugar?
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 19:50

BF:

I am thinking we have to watch sugar also during our CM's,right?
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 09:46
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Carbs are not the same as sugars. Carbs can be sugars or starches. Carbs convert to sugars in the body. However, when some products have both carbs and fiber in them, the effect of carbs is slowed due to the fiber.

Generally, CAD recommends not ingesting any one food with over three grams of carbs/serving at CM and to watch your serving sizes so that you are correctly calculating.

So if your beef jerky has 2 grams of carbs/serving whether from starches or sugars, you can have it. Just don't eat 3 servings while your doing it. Beef jerky doesn't have fiber.

The same holds true for macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds. Buy the kind without added sugars (honey roasted) and you can subtract the fiber from them which makes them legal. Again, just watch serving sizes and don't overdo. Nuts seeds should be used as an emergency snack/meal or be sprinked over a salad. DO NOT EAT FROM THE CONTAINER!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 16:37

BF:

Thank you for clearing that up for me!! A friend said to watch sugar as well as carbs..gets kind of confusing..also,do you have any idea how many slices of luncheon meat make an ounce..guess I need to count the slices in a package of meat,huh?I bought the CAD carb counter today..this should help me a lot..thanks again for your patience and help..
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 17:22
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Each package of luncheon meat might contain a different number of slices to the ounce. When you get your luncheon meat at the deli counter that can be different too. Generally the difference is due to the thickness of the slice. Generally I look at the weight and number of slices in a package and divide. At the deli generally I have them slice everything in 4 ounce packages. That way in the morning I can grab and go.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 16:59

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Nuts on CALP?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuleikaa
VBW

Always carry some nuts/seeds/beef jerky with you or in your purse or briefcase for emergencies or for hunger when you're on the go. I can't tell you how many long meetings and airports I survived on plan with jerky/macadamia nuts in my pocket/bag!

Zuleikaa,
I thought the Hellers allow nuts only at the RM. Or are they allowed at the CM but in moderation (like cream in coffee)?

Also, what's your take on avacado? I couldn't find anything about it eithe on the CM list or the RM list.

Thanks for all the info you put out!

Tam
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 17:50
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Nuts.

I don't react to nuts and find them a great emergency food. Once you take out the fiber they become "legal"under the Hellers guidelines. I also added avocado. I found some on the foods on the Hellers list to be very "classic Amercan" and so looked to other low carb list to expand the choices. However, I tested these expanded choices on myself to guage my reaction to them.

I would suggest that you do the same.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 16:01

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi, all.....on the matter of nuts, seeds and avocados, in my CALP book, copyright 1997, it says that seeds, nuts and nut butters are "carbohydrate-rich" and for RM only.

Avocados do not appear on either list, but they say that anything that does not appear on the "Craving-Reducing" list should be considered carbohydrate-rich.

I did not find any reference to subtracting the fibre grams from carb grams in the Hellers' book; is that perhaps an Atkins concept that you are using?

Take care....
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:26
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yup. You have to get in tune with your body and learn what you react to and what you don't. Whenever you start out, keep to plan and if you change anything, only add one thing at a time so that you can see how you react to it.

Macadamia nuts don't bother me. They have net carbs of 1. Pistachios do. They have net carbs of 8. I try to keep any product/food that I am adding under 4 net carbs. To me net carbs are carbs minus fiber.