Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 13:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Bonnie,

Let me know how you like it and what you think about the difference with the xanthan gum!

The vanilla bean is a good idea; I had decided to use that instead of the extract the next time I made vanilla, but I'm still experimenting with other flavors. But I might have to make vanilla again just to try swirling in my homemade strawberry jam toward the end of the freezing process.

Karla
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 14:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/216.5/135
BF:
Progress: 11%

well you inspired me.............i didnt have the right ingredients in the house but i couldnt wait till tomorrow so ive had a go with what i had. lol

12 strawberrys
1 pint of double cream
hermasita mock sugar

i have a hand mixer that i bought from qvc which is wonderful so i just mixed it all up in that

it is in the freezer as we speak and im going to stir it every half hour untill it sets(ive seen them do that on the tv to stop ice crystals lol) anyway i will let you know how it turns out

mal xx
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 14:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Sounds like a plan to me Karla ...I will experiment with my cusinart tooo ....who know's we may become the Ben and Jerry's of LC Ice Cream ...make sure you post any successful recipes here...

Bonnie
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:16

Plan: Bernstein Clinic, Atkins
Stats: 217/176/155
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Karlas Custard

Hi Karla, You mentioned that You use sucralose instead of splenda to sweeten Your custard to bring the carb count down.
I am confused i thought they were the same thing ?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:26

BF:
Default RE: Sucralose

I'm not Karla but they are one and the same...sucralose is just another name for Splenda
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 18:28

BF:
Default RE: Splenda Site

Here is the link to the Splenda site with lots of info:

www.splenda.com
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 17:40

Stats: 280/265/200
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hi

If sucralose and splenda are the same thing how did it bring down the carb count in Karla's custard?
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 19:08

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Actually, the company that made sucralose (can't remember the name at the moment McNeil Pharmaceuticals or something) is not the same as the company that sells Splenda. If you have "black market" sucralose, then you have the pure 600 times sugar kind of sucralose that in actuality is zero grams of carbs because for one cup of sugar there would be less than a drop of sucralose since one teaspoon makes 12-1/2 cups of sugar. You would want one drop (1/12 of a teaspoon) of sucralose for a recipe calling for one cup of sugar.

Splenda has bought the rights to sell sucralose as an unmixed sugar substitute. Since one drop makes one cup of sugar, they can't sell an amount small enough to sweeten coffee, so they add tons of maltodextrin (an extremely high glycemic carbohydrate). So Splenda insists on selling their sweetener with maltodextrin. Now those companies that put sucralose into their foods are not putting Splenda with maltodextrin in their foods. They are using the pure sucralose so it is lower in carbs.

And for those lucky enough to have come across black market sucralose in the pure form, they really don't need to count any carbs at all for the addition of it in anything.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 21:06

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Bonnie,

I have joked about becoming the LC Ben and Jerry.

The reason the commercial ice creams with no sugar still have around 14 g carbs in half a cup is that they add the same powdered skim milk they add to regular ice cream.

As much as I enjoy making my own ice cream, it would be great to find a truly low carb ice cream at the store!

Waydown,

Bonnie is right; I use the pure sucralose without the maltodextrin, so it has no carbs. When I bought it I didn't think about whether or not they were supposed to be selling it, but it is great. Since then the manufacturer of Splenda has made them stop selling it.

When you buy commercially made foods sweetened with Spenda they contain the liquid form, which has no filler and no carbs. But the manufacturers of Splenda, for some unknown reason, do not want to sell the liquid form to consumers; they say that because it is 150 times sweeter than sugar it would be too hard for consumers to use. Can you say BS?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 10:41

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

I also make homemade ice cream and frozen yogurt (from homemade yogurt) and found it no only is rock hard but icey as well.

I plan to buy some guar gum to add to it, but was wondering...wouldn't unflavored geletin work? Was making homemade LC jam and it starts with disolving unflavored geletin and thought it *might* work making ice cream?

I also use egg beaters or something like that if I don't cook the ice cream. I refuse to eat raw eggs.

Any other suggestions?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:37

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Soteria,

I've made so much homemade ice cream and yogurt lately that I'm surprised I haven't gained weight from licking the paddle.

My friend Cheryl tried gelatin in it, but said it was a miserable failure. Ice cream was just as hard as usual.

I've been using Thicken/thin Thickener at 1 tsp per cup of cream and it seems to help.

I like not having to pre-cook the eggs and cream, so I really learned something when I purchased Soft-serve homemade ice cream packets from the Atkins site. (These are really deee-lish)

I do wonder about the sugar in the packets (monosaccharides, this is still sugar although it absorbs slowly--low glycemic). The packets contain 17 g of carb, but when dispersed through the cream and volumnized during processing, it comes out to one carb per half cup.

The thing about these soft-serve packets is that they make the homemade ice cream a really nice texture that remains that way even in the freezer. By adding a teaspoon of Thicken/Thin (which is guar gum and xanthum gum), the texture is even better. I have some straight guar gum too that I'm going to experiment with next. The directions call for no whole eggs, just 6 egg whites. Then whip cream and egg whites together with a mixer for 2 minutes until frothy but not like whipped cream. This increases the volume of the ice cream.

I've done a frozen yogurt with 1 cup whole milk yogurt and 2 cps heavy cream that is delicious as well. I like the egg white and whipping method because it makes more volume so that one serving is a lot less calories. The yogurt makes for less calories as well although the carbs go up to 3 per serving. I tend to eat 2 servings at a time (which is probably not advisable) even during OWL, but it tastes SOOO good.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 12:32

BF:

Still haven't tried the guar gum but today I could sure use some Ice cream ...hot and dusty here in the Maritimes...I will now put the ingredients on my grocery list so I won't be drooling the next time one of these days comes along looks like with two votes for the guar gum and xanthum gum that it the way to go...just got back from running errands but next time out will give this a go guys and let you know how I like it...

Bonnie
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:46

I've been racking my brain trying to think of something to add to ice cream or homemade frozen yogurt to make it the texture of the store bought kind.

Alcohol is NOT an option. May try one of them 'gums'. What about unflavored geletin? Or Pectin? Anyone tried anything weird like that?

What I've made tastes great, but if I have to freeze it, it ends up being ICEY and HARD.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 10:49

Thanks for all that input, Voyajer! Just read what you wrote after I put in the above post. DOH!

I will try your suggestions!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 09:59
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Voyajer
I've been using Thicken/thin Thickener at 1 tsp per cup of cream and it seems to help.

Hi Voyajer:

I just bought a Krups ice cream maker to make lc ice cream, not realizing the problems. I don't like all the crap that they put into the low carb ice creams I see on the market and I also wanted to try it with stevia.

So, are you referring to the Thicken/thin not Starch or the Thicken/thin not Sugar? I just ordered the not Starch, but I'll need to order the not Sugar if that is what you are referring to (which I'm assuming it is).

Or should I just return this thing before using it?

Thanks,
Wanda