Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 06:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%
Default REcipes!

Glad you're joining me, Jenny! You are too, Kristy, aren't you???? Yesterday was a success and I feel so much better already. I've really been noticing lately how yucky I feel after just a little carby, white-flour stuff. Even a handful of pretzels makes me feel gross.

Here is my favorite Mock Coconut Cream Pie recipe. Sorry I don't know who the inventor is!

2C cooked spaghetti squash
1 1/2 c. cream
4 eggs
3 Tble. melted butter, cooled
2 T Sweet Balance (or equivalent sweetner)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp baking powder.

Process everything in food processor. Pour into greased pie plate (10") and bake at 350 degrees for 50 min. to 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean. let stand 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

I eat this for breakfast with cream over it. Yummy! I'll post some chocolate later!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/190/145
BF:
Progress: 17%

That sounds really interesting! I'll have to try it! Thanks, Sara
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 05:57

Default French Silk Pie

This is another favorite. Great for those chocolate cravings!

3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled completely
3/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs (I use egg beaters since this recipe isn't cooked)
1 cup splenda (or equivalent sweetener)

Cream butter and sweetener until fluffy. Add chocolate and vanilla a mix well. Then add eggs one at a time. Pour into a buttered pie plate and chill.

If you rush it and don't have everything at room temp it turns out lumpy and gross-looking. I also add up to a cup of cream to it sometimes to make it more like mousse. Ymm!

Yesterday wasn't quite as good as the first day---I had too many nuts and whole milk yogurt. Probably about 60 carbs---but that is still good considering I'm nursing! How do you guys do?
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sara, Thanks again for what sounds to be a wonderful recipe! I'm a chocoholic, so I'll put the newest one to the test soon!

So far so good with me... I started again Monday, so this is day 2. I've been chowing down on eggs, cheese, bacon, burgers sans bun, pecans, salad and veggies! I don't count grams strictly; I know nuts aren't legal yet, but I justify them with the nursing. I ate this way last time and 10 lbs. fell off. It still amazes me that this is a diet. My Mom saw me after I'd done induction for 2 weeks and was very impressed. Well, I'm happy to say that she's not even through 2 weeks yet, and is down 9 lbs.!!

Anyone else joining us?? Keep us posted on your progress!

Everyone have a very Merry Christmas and a Joyful New Year! Jenny
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 06:16

Angry

Well, I blew it yesterday. Baked 12 dozen cookies for a cookie exchange today and I couldn't stay out of them.

I'm so mad at myself! They tasted kind of like sawdust to me! And I ate them anyway---compulsively! It's sick, really. A real addiction. Dh just doesn't understand why I would eat something that doesn't taste good.

I should get off the computer and go make my chocolate pie because the cravings are going to be terrible today!

Stay strong! It's not worth it!
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 13:44
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy Oh Sara, you're not alone...

I did the same thing. I'd gotten down to 188, (5 lbs. in 3 days wow! I know it's water, but 5 lbs is 5 lbs.) Yesterday I ate pizza, crust and all, and even worse, Krispy Kreme donuts. I swear, they're like sirens calling me. "Oh Jenny, come eat me..." I felt so sick and bloated and gross. Today I'm back on full force. I've had scrambled eggs so far.

Update: in 2 weeks my Mom lost 11 lbs. I'm so proud!

We can do this!! Jenny
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 02:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/150/132
BF:
Progress: 10%

HI girls,
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 02:27

Stats: 152/150/132
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Girls,
I have decided to hold off LC during the holidays, its just too difficult for me. Way too many christmas partys and birthdays (my Dh and all three kids have birthdays from Dec 30th to Feb 11th). For birthdays I make and decorate all of the cakes, not a good hobby for my motherly bum but I just love to do it.

I do find myself tasting a bite of sweets and throwing out things that "just are not worth the carbs" but will seriously resume later.

Good luck to you all, during the holidays and have a blessed Christmas.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 09:30

Stats: 179/174.5/140
BF:26%
Progress: 12%
Talking HI!

Wow! am i ever glad I stumbled upon this thread! I am not quite at the breats feeding stage yet..only 10 weeks pregnant with my first. I was wondering though if any of you can share your experiences with me with lc and pregnancy..thanks a bunch!
suz
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:46

Stats: 216/210/155
BF:
Progress:

I have been going through th same thing, and I am getting major flack from people about being in ketosis and breastfeeding. I initially lost 4 lbs and then nothing for a month and a half on induction. Ketone stix are purple and everything. It seems the only explanation I can get agreement n is that my body is fighting me for the calories for the baby because its in starvation mode. Im going to start maintance and see if that balances things out because since needs are so high when breastfeeding 50-60 carbs is like 20 for non breastfeededs. I could be full of it but this is what im hearing. Thanks!
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Under 60 carbs per day
Stats: 277/240/170 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello Woobie,

If you are concerned about the effect of ketosis on your baby, I would recommend eating a moderate level of high-quality carbs and unprocessed food. I don't eat the Atkins bars, pork rinds, or other processed low-carb products if I can help it. With a carb intake of 25-90 grams, I cycle in and out of ketosis. I can tell I'm in ketosis by the taste in my mouth. My ketosticks never turned purple because I drink so much water, I think.

My 13mo dd takes in about 60% breastmilk/40% tablefood. She's never constipated and seems to love nursing as much as ever. And, I'm happy with a 25lb. weight loss in 11 weeks.

Last edited by ravengal : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 19:04.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 14:12

Stats: 211.5/211.5/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default Nursing

It sounds like there is nothing sound on nursing and doing very low carb counts. Our little girl is just two months old and I'm thinking about going to lower carb counts and wondered if the ketosis stage would either change the taste of the milk supply and/or diminish it in any way. It doesn't sound like that's as much of an issue as getting an adequate supply of calorie needs. Another post on here mentioned doing approximately 50 carbs per day. I think that was Kristy G? How are you doing with that amount? I only gained 26 lbs during pregn. and have lost that plus another 4. But am still pretty overweight. I think it's helped to also have a 3 year old at home while I was on maternity leave as I never sat still! My husband started the Atkins program back in June (my last trimester) and he lost 65 lbs and is still loosing. He looks awesome. I know men tend to loose faster and I'm trying to take it easy so I don't set myself up for failure before I get started. Nursing is going very well so far so I will keep that benefit going for our baby as long as it all works out. With my son it dimished on it's own due to stress/job, etc.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 05:11

Hi girls---I'm not nursing anymore, but I thought I'd pop in when I saw your message. Doing Atkins induction was not a good thing for my baby. I had very little milk and she was pretty thin. I started Atkins at about 8 mos.; I had been somersizing since she was born and Atkins just made it all worse. To top it off, I only lost about 8-10 lb. in 3 months on Atkins and gained it back over the holidays. I weaned my babe around 14 months and she started gaining weight. sob!

Anyway, I would definitely keep the carbs up around 50-60----maybe drop them 5 g at a time (reverse OWL)---to see how it affects your milk supply. Nursing is wonderful--don't give it up just to lose weight. Speaking from experience: it doesn't always work that way!
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

I agree w/ Sara, I found that around 60g carb a day everything was fine but have since dropped to about 45-50g over last two months, without any ill effects to Dd. I am LCing for other health reasons than weight, altho' I can stand to lose some, still I have lost <1# a week, which is fine w/ me. Just remind yourself that the loses will be very slow but you can still BF and LC. The best of both worlds.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 00:42

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 136/126/110 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm so confused. I'm nursing a 5 month old (my 8th). I do have milk supply issues, but I did with my last two as well (and I wasn't dieting). I take fenugreek three times a day (about 5 carbs total) to boast milk production. I also take a good whole foods vitamin and extra calcium + magnesium.

This is my second week on induction. I haven't noticed any significant change in Natalie's eating habits. She is on cereal, so not bf exclusively.

So is induction a bad thing then?
Will I still lose weight if I up my carbs to 50g?
Could I just stay basically with induction but add a bowl of oatmeal w/cottage cheese, nuts, and a fruit for breakfast? (Or would that start my cravings all over again?)

I am now completely over my carb cravings and have caffeine completely out of my system. I don't want to stall my weight loss, but I don't want to hurt Natalie.

What do I do?