Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:04

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Jalilha,

First, be careful with the CKD calculator link. I've found it to be a lot off the mark for me.

Second, timing of carb up is set to when you do depletion workout. Ideally, If you can do your depletion workout on Saturday morning, start Carbing up then and stop Saturday evening. The reason is that studies have shown the benefit of Carbing beyond 24 hours are not worth the risks of putting on fat. For me I can't get to gym on Saturday, so I will do my depletion workout on Friday afternoon, followed by first carbs within 2 hours after workout. I will continue Carbing through Saturday evening, moving from Hi GI carbs on Friday to Lower GI Carbs by Saturday evening. According to the article it's beneficial to get your first dose of carb in within 2 hours of your depletion workout, and then again more Carbs 2 hours after that. I highly suggest reading through the Lyle McDonald article because I think it covers all the basics. The link is the thinkmuscle.com one on this page.

Keep asking questions, that's the only way to learn.

Good Luck,
Lux
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:20

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%
Default Re: Jalilah

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
Jalilah...(I like your name)

But anyway..I think we are in the same boat. I've been looking at my CKD readout and I'm thinking how in the world will I Carb-up with 1895 grams carb and 491 grams protein..lol.

And I'm pretty much scared to have any sugar because I haven't had any carvings in over a 2wks.

But after I reread this whole thread..I think I got a better understanding. I remember reading that we could have trace carbs or something like that.. Right now I do 25 easy...I did 14 yesterday..I might just try to do 0 tomorrow.

Best wishes on everything :-)

Thanks for the kind words, tyrelle. It's my stage name. Okay, onto your carbs....

HOLY FRIOLE, BATMAN! 1895 carbs????? Are you SURE?? Gosh, I think even TrainerDan said his were only 6oo+something. Are you sure you weren't looking at the printout wrong, that maybe you saw the calories from carbs instead of grams? I did that when I first looked at mine...and nearly had heart failure. My carb CALORIES are 2224 for the first day, but the GRAMS are only 556.

I'm definitely no expert, but you might want to check it again. If that's what it says, you might want to rerun the parameter calculator again.

I mean, if 556g of carbs will be somewhere in the area of 2224 calories, imagine how many calories 1895g would be!!!! I mean, isn't that something like 7,580 calories? Wow.. Maybe it's just me, because I don't know much about this stuff yet, but that's a LOT!

You will have a heck of a time getting all those carbs in! LOL.

Best of luck to you too! I hope we both make it through the weekend!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Luxsit
Jalilha,

First, be careful with the CKD calculator link. I've found it to be a lot off the mark for me.

Second, timing of carb up is set to when you do depletion workout. Ideally, If you can do your depletion workout on Saturday morning, start Carbing up then and stop Saturday evening. The reason is that studies have shown the benefit of Carbing beyond 24 hours are not worth the risks of putting on fat. For me I can't get to gym on Saturday, so I will do my depletion workout on Friday afternoon, followed by first carbs within 2 hours after workout. I will continue Carbing through Saturday evening, moving from Hi GI carbs on Friday to Lower GI Carbs by Saturday evening. According to the article it's beneficial to get your first dose of carb in within 2 hours of your depletion workout, and then again more Carbs 2 hours after that. I highly suggest reading through the Lyle McDonald article because I think it covers all the basics. The link is the thinkmuscle.com one on this page.

Keep asking questions, that's the only way to learn.

Good Luck,
Lux

Thanks Luxit.... I'm going to that link now. And not to sound totally and completely stupid, but I've NO IDEA what the depletion workout is! I usually do the 20MAS (BFL) on Saturday mornings, and I've been feeling lately like I'm certainly depleting "something" during that rough 20min workout. LOL.

I'm hoping that LM's site will help me understand the depletion workout. I'm on a fairly strict schedule during the week and ALWAYS do an aerobic on Saturday... so I'm hoping that I can do the depletion via that.

Thank you!
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 16:08

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by Luxsit
I think that all the soy negative hype is being funded by cattle ranchers and whey producers. Japanese have been eating tofu for years, and they don't seem to be stupid people ?

Just my 2 cents,
Lux

I'm positive that cattle producers have their agenda and push it in any way they can, but the thing is that indeed it seems that Japanese haven't been eating tofu for years. I need to read all those articles in their entirety to really debate, but from what I understand, the story with soybeans is similar to grains - not until the recent "progress" of the agricultural industry have they been all that prevalent. From what I've read here and there, the staple of Japanese diet has been fish rather than soy products.

It's a known fact that soy contains phytoestrogens though. I've seen a reference to a study that showed a higher incidence of boys with malformed sexual organs born to vegan mothers - would really like to get my hands on that paper.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:09

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

if you go with the CKD diet you will also have switch to a CKD workout plan. Dan has a good one outlined in the CKD 101 thread.

Mine is different but still with the same basic principles,

cardio everyday, full body workout early in the week, depletion late in the week. The depletion workout is a complete body workout meant to drain your muscles of every drop of glycogen.

My routine is as follows (i go to the gym everyday at 5am)

Monday - chest/tris/shoulders/cardio
Tuesday - back/biceps/cardio
Wednesday - legs/abs/cardio
Thursday - cardio
Friday - Depletion/cardio - CARB UP
Sat, sun, back to low carb - no workouts.

fior my mon-wed workouts i use free weights, for depletion i use machines in a circuit type workout. If i had more time in th mornings i would move legs to monday and abs to tuesday.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 19:54

Why would I have to switch to another workout??? I really like the schedule I'm on, and I really don't want to switch after only 3 weeks on it.

I understand about the depletion idea---well, mostly anyway, but it's my understanding that the the body only goes into ketosis once the glycogen stores have been used up.

I mean, so far I'm already losing body fat...I can feel it big time... so I'm not sure changing anything will help. There's no way I could do cardio everyday... I have hours of dance stuff to do nearly every day of the week.

Might have to way to tweak or bend the program to fit somehow.

Thanks for the info, though.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:11

Quote:
Originally posted by west_on_46
It's a known fact that soy contains phytoestrogens though. I've seen a reference to a study that showed a higher incidence of boys with malformed sexual organs born to vegan mothers - would really like to get my hands on that paper.

Well I was bored tonight so I went online and answered my own question:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/se...7&goto=abstract

"Conclusion: As vegetarians have a greater exposure to phytoestrogens than do omnivores, these results support the possibility that phytoestrogens have a deleterious effect on the developing male reproductive system."
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:21

Soy is also not good for the thyroid, and for those with impaired thyroid function should avoid it at all costs (this from friends with thyroid dissorder).

Just an fyi.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:22

BF:

whew i am really glad my parents lived on a farm and had meat and potatoes all the time
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
whew i am really glad my parents lived on a farm and had meat and potatoes all the time

Sounds like what I grew up on, and what killed my mom and is my sister as we speak (CHF).

It sure tasted good, though!! LOL But then again, my mom was a Texan, and cooked southern like you wouldn't believe. I was born and half raised in CA, but my mom was Texan through and through.

Gosh I miss her fried burritos.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:36

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalilah
Soy is also not good for the thyroid, and for those with impaired thyroid function should avoid it at all costs (this from friends with thyroid dissorder).

That appears in that article on brain.com as well. I'm beginning to think that it's not written by a bunch of pot-smoking hippie conspiracy theorists after all (j/k):

http://www.brain.com/Merchant2/merc...Code=body_13500

As for me, I'm happy that my parents raised me thinking that a meal isn't a meal if there's no meat in it. When I was a kid, I used to throw the sandwich bread away - pissed my grandparents off to all hell. Now my business partner's kid is doing the same, and I'm telling him "The kid knows what's good for him."
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:24

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:

Big Dog,
You carb up only on Friday afternoon/evening? You find that's enough?
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 03:04

Stats: 211/190/180
BF:18%/14%/10%
Progress: 68%

I'm gonna skip my carb up this weekend and see how I go. I lift everday during the week and I almost feel strongest towards the end of the week. Plus I do 45+ minutes cardio every week night and feel full of energy everyday and everynight! I'm gonna try skipping my carb up and see what happens. I just feel so much better in the ketogenic leg of the diet...
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 05:23

BF:

Doug, my workout ends at 6am firday morning so i carb from 6am to 6 pm. For now it is enough, my goal at this time is fat loss so i am trying to stay in ketosis for as long as possible. Last week i was back in ketosis late sunday evening.

Odd as it sounds i actually need to lose some lean body mass too. My goal weight is 200 lbs, currenlty i am carrying 192 pounds of lean body mass. So if i make 200 lbs without losing any mass that would mean 4% body fat which i feel is an unreasonable goal for me. My goal is to be in the 200-210 range with body fat of 10-15%. Which would put me around where i was when i graduated college 10 years ago.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 06:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
Doug, my workout ends at 6am firday morning so i carb from 6am to 6 pm. For now it is enough, my goal at this time is fat loss so i am trying to stay in ketosis for as long as possible. Last week i was back in ketosis late sunday evening.

It takes me about 2-2.5 days to get into ketosis, and then I never really get much farther than a lovely shade of trace on the ketostix. But I think I'm going to try it for a day and a half and see what happens.

Oh.... is there a certain amount of carbs that we're supposed to take in within that first six hours, or do we spread it out over the course of the day??

Thanks!