Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 19:45

Plan: 0
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

Hello Lynne,

You really don't won't to go below 20 grams a day as your brain needs them to function or something like that. Don't worry 20 grams a day will keep those cravings at bay. A chromium supplement will help too. Please don't go below 20!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.2/136/121.8
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default about not going under 20 gms carbo...

Hiya meme
it doesn't really matter if you have no carbs at all (according to Atkins) as your body can manufacture it's own if needs be - it's just while i'm on induction that they're down a bit anyhows...so no worries, ay!
Cheers
Lynne
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 20:30

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi Lynne,

actually she's right 20 g is a minimum...even Atkins says that . You have to make those up using the veggies listed for induction.

The only way your brain can work properly is using carbs.

Plus, you don't necessarily lose weight any better on less than 20. In fact some people who stay on indiction beyond the first 2 weeks, do so becasue they think they will lose faster, but actually they lose just as quick or quicker on 30g.

Lesley
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 21:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default oops...sorry meme...wrong info...

Hiya meme
it was the Eades in the Protein Power FAQ book who stated the body doesn't need to ingest any carbs at all - not Atkins (sorry!)
Cheers
Lynne
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 17:43

Plan: 0
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

Sure no problem.
Just please have 20 carbs a day!. It is the absolute minimum you should have.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 02:11
Registered Member

BF:
Default Bring on the carbs then!

Neato!
As you can see by my fitday journal http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...tml?Owner=ljhnz
the carbs are creeping back in (yum!)
Thanks for your input
Toodles
Lynne
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 18:26
Registered Member

Stats: 264.5/161/154
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi guys.

I'd just like to make a comment on the statement of carbs being the only fuel your brain uses. To clarify this, the main fuel for your brain is glucose, when you eat carbs, your body turns them into a form of glucose which your brain then uses. When you limit your carbs, your body adapts and turns other things from your body into glucose for your brain, mainly protein. Also when you're doing a ketogenic diet (like Atkins), when the fat is metabolised, ketones are formed. Ketones are another form of fuel for the brain. In the "average diet" (highcarb) there aren't normally alot of ketones for the brain to use, so it will use the glucose provided by the carbs. When you're in ketosis and you've depleted the glycogen stores in your body, your brain will adapt and use the ketones for fuel.

Your brain can run just fine on no carbs, but the rest of you won't. It's important to get the vitamins and nutrients from veges and other items, so that you remain "healthy". That's why we eat a "low carb" diet, not a "no carb" diet.

Just my two cents

Tara
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 01:15

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking another Kiwi saying hi

hi everyone

i'm very glad to find this forum for kiwi's/ozzies, just want to introduce myself here and hope i'll be around for a while losing heaps & heaps of weight.

i'm a single mum living at the top of the south island, hobbies are computers, food, literati and food.

i've battled the bulge practically my whole life and never once lost any significant weight through dieting, i had a slim period when from the age of 19 - 21, 3 out of 34 years is a bit sad really

i started doing the low carb diet about 3 years ago, lost 5 kilos in a week and then slowly drifted off it thinking it was so easy i could get back on again anytime. at that stage i was 80 kilos, and not a year later was up to 90 kilo's. in that interim i made 2 more feeble attempts to low carb again with absolutely no results, and gave up.

3 days ago i started low carbing again with a determined mindset - i've opted for no carbs at all for a few days (meat and eggs only) and happy to report i've lost 3 pounds with few if any carb cravings

i see above no carbs at all is questionably not a good idea - what is the conclusion or general consensus about this? will it be ok to have no carbs for a few days or even a couple of weeks? not sure i want the temptation.

looking forward to meeting a few of you.....

Logan ~
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 02:54
Registered Member

Stats: 264.5/161/154
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Logan, welcome

I really think you should be eating your veges, if only to keep you "regular"! Atkins induction is 20g carbs, the majority of which should come from veges such as brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini, spinach, lettuces, a half tomato etc. You need to be getting the nutrients/vitamins etc from these veges, plus the fibre.

Eating meat/eggs/cheese can work quite well for kickstarting some weightloss, but I wouldn't do it for more than 3 days or so.

Eat those veges!

Tara
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 03:52

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Default hi tara and thankyou

will chuck a little brocoli & lettuce onto the menu ..... yay...something crunchy!!!
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:26

Stats: 245/236/140 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Another kiwi

Hi I am in Lower Hutt. Starting back on this WOE after only doing it for a few weeks a couple of mths ago. Have started back and have lost 3 lb in 2 day so quite pleased
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 17:27
Registered Member

Stats: 268.4/257.9/205
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi, I in Papatoetoe, South Auckland

I have been going about 4 weeks and am down from 122kg to 118kg, the first time below 120kg in years. Go Atkins and go the Blues

I am struggling on the snack front though. Sick to death of Celery and cheese.

I have found weight watchers jelly ( 0 carbs ) smothered in pouring cream yummy, if a bit sweet. What I really want is a place to buy pork rinds, LC sweets and LC choc
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 05:36

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is

Hi Max
Try making the jelly with just the hot water, leave out the cold don't replace it with more hot. Then when its nearly set replace the cold water with cream and beat. Leave it in the fridge (if you can). This is seriously yummy stuff.
Cadbury make a LC choccy its in a blue white and red pack, about 1/3 the size of a regular large bar. But you have to be able to look at the chocolate in the supermarket, and if it's not there Walk Away. (that's the hard part).
I found some small packs of beef jerky in Woolies the other day. I'd never tried it before but it was pretty nice. 5g carb to a pack, and it takes a long time to eat so that's a bonus.
We've had a few discussions about pork rinds here. They just don't seem to be available in NZ, and there doesn't seem to be any way of making them that tastes any good either.
Some of us have tried making our own, but the general opinion seem to be
If you do find some, let us know.

Last edited by feather : Fri, May-30-03 at 05:44.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 07:09
Registered Member

BF:

I have found some pork crackle that is seriously yum and reasoably cheap. I tried the crowd in Cambridge but the stuff was small and rock hard, with a tag of 2.95 for a tiny bag.

However, the good stuff can be found at the manukau wholesale meats store in ronwood ave, manukau city. It is also 2.95 for a largish bag but streets ahead of the other. Foamy pork crackling, seriously delicious and melt in the mouth yum.

Try them if in Auckland. You can also IM me using my email********(or mail I suppose) if you need to contact me directly. Happy to meet fellow LCers
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 07:10
Registered Member

BF:

that should read ********

Moderator edit: Email address removed. Posting email addresses is in violation of our forum rules.