Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 18:22

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

Arrrrgggg...DebPenny took my first answer "DON'T BE AFRAID OF FAT"

So I guess I'll have to think of another one...

Ummm, DON'T STUFF YOURSELF WITH PROTEIN. You don't need to eat a huge steak at every meal. (something I learned the hard way)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/217/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 40%

The #1 piece of advice I give is to buy the Atkins book, then read it, and follow the plan in the book.
I've run across a few people who think they know how to LC without ever actually reading about it because they say "... I have this friend, and she knows a girl who has a cousin who lost 50 lbs. on the Atkins plan so I just do what she did." Then they give up because they don"t lose any weight, and they have no idea why they failed.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I'm going to ditto that one...there is MUCH more in the Atkins book than just "how to do the diet". Being informed greatly helps with motivation...there are no outrageous expectations. Once you understand the metabolic changes in your body and how long that process may take, you become a little more realistic and you stick to it much better.

My tip: Check in with this forum every day . I sit here with my coffee every morning and check out the boards, contribute a little here and there and generally start my day with a positive outlook about food. That's more than I did for many years. It helps keep me focused and refreshed. And I learn something new just about every time.

#19   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 09:33

Plan: pregnancy
Stats: 235/212/165
BF:
Progress: 33%

i just want to agree here(don't tell any of my friends, i am always arguing, i never agree)
water is very very important, find the levels of carbs and cals that are right for you no matter what formula you use to find it, and deffinatly ask questions, and love yourself no matter what, cuz if you don't love yourself fat... you will not love yourself thin... be happy with who you are, that will also help you lose weight if you have a good self esteem and friends that love and support you.
anyway just my two cents worth
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 12:06

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Be a Joiner

My response has already been iterated several times, so I'll just add to it -- exercise! No, I am not athletic, not at all. I have distinct memories of being chosen last for teams -- and I was thin at the time! (All I can say is that any PE teacher who still uses this barbaric method to get kids teamed up should have hot pokers stuck in his/her eyes!)

I live in a planned community where there are a lot of clubs, and joining these can be a great way to meet people and to get healthy. I joined a beginner racquetball league at my gym and had a blast. No, I'm not a great player, but I get a super workout and it's so much fun that I don't even feel like I'm exercising! And I've made a bunch of new friends.

Another example of "joining": Our local running club has a program for women each spring called FIT (Females in Training) and it's a great way for beginning walkers and runners to train together. We met every week for about 10 weeks, then finished the program by running (or walking) a 5K race. Really fun, and EVERY level of fitness was represented. And now, I consider myself a runner. And I really like it.

So join! You'll have a great time, trim down and make friends. Doesn't get any better than that!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 12:17

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I agree with a lot of what has been said before, so

not only REAL FOOD, as Aki said, but EXPAND YOUR REAL FOOD EATING!

It's hard to eat too many veggies, and there are a hundred kinds of LC veggies in the market. Try them all.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 293/281.5/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Don't Be Afraid!

When I first started ~ I was afraid of it. Just Eat!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Smile No fair

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
not only REAL FOOD, as Aki said, but EXPAND YOUR REAL FOOD EATING!

Hey, no fair I wanted to say that too, but as we were asked for ONE tip I only gave ONE unlike some others

This is a great thread with some valuable info for us all to look back on from time to time....

Akiwican
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 10:01

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'd like to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread!! I knew that there were a lot of great ideas out there about how to make LCing work for you and a lot of folks out there who are walking talking success stories. We CAN learn so much from each other by act, word and deed and that's what makes this forum work!

Just a little cheer for US!!

Marlaine
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 09:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up Excellent thread! Thanks Marlaine

This is such a great topic! Thanks Marlaine

My number one tip: Listen and pay attention to your body, no matter what the plan advises and no matter what might work for others. I love the phrase, Your Mileage May Vary! If I followed Atkins plan to the letter, I might have added in WASA crackers or low carb bake products and bars. For me, grains, bars, and packaged foods = instant weight gain. I know this from a past disasterous and quick 'dieting' experiment I did with Atkins a couple years ago. I ate one cracker with some cream cheese and smoked salmon. This then turned into two evil crackers, then the package was all gone. I ate one LC bar, then I went on to ordering a case. etc., etc. My mileage does not allow for even one bite of certain foods, low carb or otherwise. On the other hand, I can [and do!] eat mountains of certain foods others must avoid like the plague.

This time around, learning LC as a way to eat rather than I diet, I abstain 100% from crackers, breads, grains and packaged LC foods. I can eat bountiful cheeses and fruits and drink pots of coffee and cocktails nearly to my heart's content. So, if someone or some plan were to advise me it is 'better' for me to chomp on a wasa cracker versus eating an entire cup of cherries or a pound of lush cheese, I would reply, "Thanks for sharing. Your mileage may vary." I have indeed learned so much here, by reading others' mistakes and success, but ultimately it came down to what works specifically for me and my bod.

Last edited by Twiggy : Sat, Jul-27-02 at 09:13.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:30

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Default Cut out the junk

Its great to see all the awesome advice. I've been on Atkins for the past 4 weeks, and have learned sooo much about how my own body works, what agrees with it, what makes it stall , what makes it crave sugar, its amazing HOW in tune I have become by changing the way I am eating. I truly realize how well low carb does my body, and how well it allows my body and mind to function.

MY #1 TIP: GET RID OF THE PROCESSED FOOD, even if its low carb!! This i really think is important. Get rid of the deli meats, processed cheese, pepperoni sticks, beef jerky, canned crap unless its tuna or salmon, limit store bought dressings and mayo, and make them yourself. I learned to make my own MAYO and its terrific. I use no sugar no additives and fresh ingredients. The more natural in state your food is, the better your body can metabolize it! So eat more naturally and your body will do amazing things!

Piera
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

I guess my tip would be to do it slowly. (since I have LOLOL) And to drink all that water, exercise and watch the lowcarb goodies. Try to get those omega's balanced, and journal about the whole experience. Do the exercise that you love, be it gardening, walking, or throwing a frisbee, as Nike would say, just do it. Eat more fat, but watch the protein levels. Have those carbs in salads and veggies before you reach for that lowcarb chocolate.
Down 111 and counting....
Julee
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 20:09

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Default GREAT JOB FLAXIE!!

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS

YOu've lost a whopping 110 pounds... How have your rewarded yourself? Thats agreat accomplishment. Has the loss been through soley low carbing? I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

Piera
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Piera!!!
Thanks so much for the kudos! Let's see... I guess I have rewarded myself by doing what I really LOVE in life (creating lowcarb food products) and am also engaged to be married Feb 1st. :-) I still have 50 pounds to go, so I am not there yet, but I will get there. Yes, I have lost most of it lowcarbing, with the help of thermogenics and a LOT of exercise! :-)
Thanks Again....
Julee
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I just want to add, that even though you may think that your weight loss may be slow (isn't it always?!) , just keep in mind that if you weigh even one pound less today than you did yesterday, that it is all worth it! I am one that just wants "it all gone NOW"...but I am learning that it doesn't happen that way......it takes time, so be patient, stick with it, one pound is better than no pounds!!!