Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 62
BF:1/1/1
Progress: 51%
Default If it's available

in your area - the new reynolds non-stick foil is perfect for making these. I tried them last week, and they came out perfect. With good cheddar, they really do taste like cheese nips! Unfortunately, they were a little rich for my stomach and after eating three, I felt a little ill.

Too bad, I really liked them!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 00:18

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Should never read recipies late at night

Cut a one ounce cube in half of gouda, put it on a plate and cooked on high for 1 minute in the micro. The two pieces ran together and made a bread slice size piece. I did have a "wee" bit of trouble lifting them from the plate but not much.

Covered in salsa then.........tasted a bit of heaven! Thanks!
  #78   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Here's another late nite reader. I also popped up and made this. YUMMY!! Boy, wait till my lil boys catch me eating this! They will also love this! THanks for the easy, quick snack.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 19:34
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

This is one snack that feels like cheating to me. It is very yummy and sometimes I just want flavor more than something to fill me up. This is a great comfort food! Better stock up on cheese!
  #80   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default uses for cheese chips

Hi there, I just had a couple "dishes" someone may have posted it already but it was do good I had to share:

Use a teflon pan and sharp cheddar cheese to make a single large cheese chip and before it gets too hard put chopped chicken, sour cream, minced green onion and bacon on on side, fold over and serve as a (I forget the name of those things made with tortillas)

Another thing to do with a single large tortilla is to break into crispy chips onto a plate, cover with spiced groudd beef, a blob of sour cream and guacamole and there you have nachos.

I am obsessed with these cheese chips, they are so good.
Meg
  #81   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:30
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Meg S. - Quesadillas! Great idea -- I am going to make some today...and dip them in sour cream....mmmmmm! I have been craving some type of Tex-Mex food!
  #82   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:42

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I bought a house brand of processed cheese to try the crackers with and stupidly didn't look at the carb count on them.. 2.3 per slice!!!! It does make great "puffy" crackers, though.

Are all American-type processed cheeses that high in carbs?
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 21:58
Registered Member

Stats: 195/176/120 Female 65"
BF:35%/25%/20%
Progress: 19%

This snack should help me, when going out to the movies. I need something to snack-on, while my friends are endulging on movie popcorn, etc.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 10:21

Stats: 247/216/115 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi, I just discovered cheese "crackers" this weekend. My favorite so far is Pepper Jack cheese "yum"! I've tried provolone, which is very good, American Cheese is good, and white cheddar cheese. These are my new favorite low carb snacks. They are so easy, I just pop them in the microwave and nuke them a minute per slice.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 12:31
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default In case you guys missed it....

if you make a large one on a plate in the microwave (PAM, THAT is why I couldn't get that sucker up very easy, gotta try using PAM) and don't let it cool all the way before lifting it off, you can shape it into a taco shell... works GREAT!!! I had tacos the other day... and I tell you pepper jack cheese is AWESOME for it if you want some spice....

Yum, Yum, Yum....

Oh, and a good taco meat seasoning is Chi chi's brand restaurante fiesta seasoning packet... NO ADDED SUGAR OR STARCH!!!
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 19:47
Registered Member

Stats: 192/182/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

As soon as I read how to make these they sounded so good I logged off and went to make some! Well I was waiting for the 12 minutes when the smoke alarm went off. They looked ready enough so I took them out. Well they are stuck to the wax paper! Melded! There was 3 minutes to go. Do they stick if they are underdone? Do you let them cool before trying to remove from the wax paper? So I am now trying to peel them off because there is no way I am going to trash all that expensive cheese but does anyone know how many carbs are contained per 100g of wax paper? Next time it will be on a cookie sheet with spray non-stick stuff. And there will be a next time as they are FABULOUS.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I've only ever made them in a teflon frying pan, but I definitely do NOT let them cool before removing - I made the mistake of doing that once and had crispy cheese crumbs as a snack because I had to pound them off the pan. Generally they stick to the frying pan if they're underdone... but underdone is relative. I like mine really crispy, but if I want them softer like for a taco shell then they're undercooked. If your cookie sheet is nonstick you might want to try it without the paper.. just take them off before they cool.

take care,
Meg (who is happy she has no cheese in the house right now because she would have the compulsion to make cheese crisps at 11pm!)
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 07:22

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

OMG - these are amazing, exactly the kind of delish snack I was looking for - thanks guys
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:59

Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

I want to try this now with pepper jack cheese, maybe in the oven this time!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 09:20

Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

Hi everyone,

i've made these cheese crisps also in the oven and i'm definitely going to try the microwave version. When i made them in the oven, before i baked them, i sprinkled various seasonings on them. Garlic powder is wonderful on mozzarella or monterey jack. i have used Mrs. Dash, dill, oregano, basil, etc. i've even sprinkled a little curry powder on them. You can let your imagination run wild with seasonings. They are a wonderful, filling snack.

Another tip i got from a friend: instead of standing over a hot skillet, getting spattered by bacon grease, i now put bacon slices on a cookie sheet and bake them at about 325 for 10 minutes or so, depending on how crispy you want your bacon. Yes, eventually i'll have to clean my oven. You have to pour off the grease (and i generally pat the bacon with paper towels to remove excess grease). But it's a good way to make a bigger batch of bacon ahead of time. Then you can just nuke it or crumble it in an omlet or other dishes.

Take care and Have fun!