Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%

You should have re-read the book again before getting started so you'd be better prepared. While sometimes it can be sign of a more serious problem, it could just be your electrolytes got flushed out too fast as the first week of the diet has a strong diuretic effect (hence the quick weight loss).

While that includes calcium, the most often responsible for weakness and feeling run down is POTASSIUM or even SODIUM (very important to consider if you're exposed to a lot of heat and/or stress). In the book "Protein Power" potassium pills are recommended during the first week of the diet, about 4 (99 mg/ea.) with every meal or you can try a salt substitute containing potassium chloride on your salad and/or veggies instead of regular salt. Another important mineral that I consider a must is MAGNESIUM which you should take if you're going to add either potassium or calcium to help balancing them out.

Last time I went L/C I reacted with a lot of weakness for the first time but potassium took care of that.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Raquel, I've been reading a lot of different things lately, and they all point to acid as being the culprit for almost all disease. It is just as Bob Barefoot said! So the calcium neutralizes this acid.

The other "diets" said that you should also eat foods that have an anti acidic effect on your body. This is fresh veggies and fruit. These diets also allow rice and I've been eating rice cakes with Polaner all fruit jelly on then and I haven't really seen any change in weight(except for 3 lbs when I first started this experiment)

The one place I read about this was in Woman's World Magazine. It was very interesting. I'm still taking the calcium and my BP has continued to go down even though it is normally low. One night it actually scared me because it was 103/43. I did feel a little dizzy that night, but the next morn it was back up to 120/62 so I didn't worry about it.

Carol
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 21:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default ATN. JLEIGH1

I wrote a post that I should have addressed to you, it's about electrolites, please read it.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 21:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi Carol!

You are quite right about acidity. Last year I was seeing a naturopath and she gave me a list dividing foods into two groups, those that I should avoid (acid) and the ones I should eat (alkaline). My problem is that over time I've forgotten some of the "avoids", so many different things to watch for I was getting pretty overwhelmed.

I tried to do "The Fat Flush Plan" for liver cleansing, which is sort of L/C, but in no time found myself craving "no-nos" and cheating more often than I was doing things right. I realized that any stress would push me over the edge. Lately I started having problems sleeping and having very low energy so before I knew it I'd stopped exercising and have done very little of it during the last two weeks.

I had wanted to lose at least 10 lbs. for my B-day which was on Sept. 13 and my best efforts didn't yield any results. Through reading a book about sleep I realized nothing will go right with me until I can sleep normally again so I decided to shelve the expectations and just try to be good to myself. Right now I'm just weathering my very stressful life the best I can, some days I'm good others I'm not. When I "sin" up to 5 lbs. can creep up on me suddenly due to water retention, that forces me to pay attention to what I'm putting in my mouth but for now I've given up on trying to lose.

Have you been losing since I was last here almost 2 months ago?
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 05:53

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Raquel, I have not been losing either. I have been following the acid reducing diet and haven't seen a reduction in acid either, but they did say that it could take months to balance the pH.

I bought the pH sticks at a pet shop and found that I am totally off the chart for acid. THe sticks start at 6.2 (first morn urine is to be no lower than 6.8). 6.2 is an orangey yellow and mine was pale yelllow--almost white!

Yesterday I woke up to a nice sunny day and felt on top of the world. I felt younger, thinner and just wonderful. Today I am up in weight. I think that the acid reducing diet is just a little high in carbs for me. One apple and a rice cake in a day can shoot those little buggers through the roof! I must start to watch the carbs again, even though the calories seem a tad low.

Go to http://www.thewolfeclinic.com and read the article titled Reclaim Your Inner Terrain. It is a fascinating article!

Carol
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 18:47

Stats: 265/230/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Default Calcium and leg cramps?

I work 12 hour shifts, spending a great deal of that time on my feet. One of the big motivators of my resuming Atkins after 20 years off it was the hope of reducing the wear and tear of over 100 excess pounds on my feet and legs. I was fairly active until the last three years; I'd downhill ski, go hiking, work out at the gym, etc. I weighed what I do now, btw. In the last three years, it's like my age (45) has caught up to me and I hobble around like an old woman, can barely make it up the stairs at my condo because of knee and hip pain, and can only sleep on my left side because of low back and right hip pain.

I have started taking chondroitin and glucosamine, the Atkins multivitamin and essential oils capsule, Vitamin C. In order to be able to sleep and do my regular daily stuff, I am pretty much forced to take an NSAID; I just switched from Ibuprofen to Naproxen to try to cut back on the amount I take. I, too, would at this point give just about anything to reduce the aches and pain! What makes it worse is that I am around a lot of people who have chronic pain issues, in some cases abuse narcotic pain meds, and I'm beginning to really empathize with them --- and I don't want to become that way.

Recently, for God knows what reason, the dorsal aspect of my left foot has developed a "cramping" sensation -- it usually goes away on my days off, and it isn't so bad when I'm on my feet at work, but it gets awful when I'm trying to sleep or I'm sitting for awile. I tried topical arthritis cream, heat "patches", and last night a co-worker said the same thing happened to her and that she got rid of it by taking calcium -- so I stopped at the drugstore on the way home this morning and got the Calcium 600 with D, and took my first two pills this morning. I don't think it has anything to do with the calcium I took, and I also know it is way too soon for the calcium to work, but I was awakened about half a dozen times during my sleep time today by the most horrid leg cramps that I have ever had! I've been on Atkins now for over three months, and I don't *think* this is because of postassium loss, although I also diuresed yesterday (again, dunno why -- eating the same as always) .

I do not want to have these leg cramps again!!! It was truly awful, like torture. My pain threshold is fairly high, and I was on the verge of crying. My question to you all is, do you think the calcium will help my aching foot and joints longterm? And what do you think I can do about preventing another session of godawful leg cramps? And does anyone know how long it takes the calcium to exert any effects?

I don't mind paying for supplements, but my BF thinks I pop too many pills already and my supplements have gone from a couple pills a day to two handfuls now morning and evening. I know that these things take time, but I'd like to get some feedback from others who've been there on how much time to give it.

BTW, although I was hoping for a lot more relief from the controlled carbs, I do feel *much* better and more energetic just from the lifestyle alone! My energy level has increased amazingly. I want to start resuming my prior active lifestyle, but it is really depressing when I have the *energy* to do things and the pain won't let me do them.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:03

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Coral Calcium

My mother was watching Dr. Robert Bearfoot on TV this morning plugging Coral Calcium http://www.barefootcalcium.info/ - it looks pretty amazing, he also stated that when Atkins Dieters take this supplement is curbs their carb cravings and actually speeds up weight loss. Sorry I don't know what show it was on, but I'm sure if there is any weight to what he said, there'll be research on it over the Internet.

Vikki
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Vikki, I merged your post with this one in the supplements / nutrition forum on the same topic.

You should find more information of interest here.

Nat
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 09:01

Thanks Nat, but I can't get into the merged post.

Vikki
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 09:22

DebPenny: I too have a hiatal hernia and take 10 mg. of Losec once a day - you should ask your doctor about it, it's been a god send.

Vikki
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by vbrowne
Thanks Nat, but I can't get into the merged post.

I'm sorry, Vikki, I don't understand what the problem is. Can you not see the thread "Awsome Calcium News"? Your post to Debpenny showed up.

Nat
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 10:35

Sorry Nat - I was looking for a link from your post into that thread - anyway I did manage to find it. Thanks.

Vikki
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 14:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 273/210/162
BF:30
Progress: 57%
Default calcium

i seen the same show last night while i was working graveyard i think he said calcium coral and sunlight directly to your face, i wanted to know if we are able to buy this kind of calcium in a store it is expensive on mail order anyway congrats on your weight loss
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:16

Stats: 193/188/132
BF:42%
Progress: 8%
Red face Has anyone Been one Robert Barefoot's Coral Calcium Yet?

I have read everyone statement and it is good to converse on the levels in which you all did. My question is, has anyone actually taken Bob Barefoot's Coral Calcium and if so, which one as he makes Coral Calcium I and Coral Calcium Supreme.

If you have, and have been on it for at least 2 weeks, please make a post here and tell us if you feel/seen any changes while doing the lowcarb eating plan.

Thank you all for your previous post and keep it coming.

Linda
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:17

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi Everyone:

I've just come from a web site regarding coral calcium vs. regular calcium and, guess what? "Dr." Barefoot isn't a doctor, and in fact he has no degrees of any kind. The link a few posts above calls him "Barefoot" but I didn't see "Dr." anywhere there, either. This fellow looks like an infomercial salesman to me and it also looks like he has pushed several different types of calcium over the years.

I'm going to keep looking for more information and will let you all know what I find, if anything!