Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What plan are you on that IS working?
Atkins 113 74.34%
LowCarb/LowFat 12 7.89%
The Zone 2 1.32%
Schwarzbein Principle 6 3.95%
Protein Power 12 7.89%
CAD/CALP 7 4.61%
Sugar Busters 0 0%
LoL Weight Watchers 1 0.66%
OTHER (Please specify) 10 6.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 16:48

Plan: Diabetic diet
Stats: 172/160/135
BF:
Progress: 32%

wannabefit

check you glucose...many hypos are insulin resistant (i am)

new american diabetes assn guidelines say "pre-diabetes" (insulin resistance) is a fasting glucose of 110-125. they also list thyroid meds as one of the meds that will elevate glucose...so does caffeine.

if yours is above 125, they should do a Glucose Tolerance Test to see how you respond (i am still making insulin) and the test to see what your 3 month average is. if the result of the 3 mo average is above 6% but below 7%, you are insulin resistant

sorry for lower case & choppy sentances...rt arm is broken...typing w/left one
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:46

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

I am on 175mcg of Synthroid. Just had my bloodwork done and my TSH bounced way back to 2.6 from .8 !!! We are trying to keep my thyroid supressed as .5 due to it being enlarged and a couple of nodules. Yes, those reading do appear to be within the normal range but not for me. supression means that you don't want your pituitary to call for any hormone from your thyroid so your thyroid can rest. Anyway it is a bit off topic right now... I am basically on my own plan of LC I have to keep the calorie count way down along with NO carbs and then I lose and I lose fast... I have a very low metabolism naturally and do not need the calories that most need. As they say, no one diet fits all.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 380/380/290 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am on Phase Two of the South Beach Diet. It has worked for me where Atkins did not. I believe Atkins works but it was not right for me.

~ Lichen
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:24

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Post South Beach Diet

Hello Lichen,

Am interested in the South Beach Diet. Why did you choose it over Atkins? How is it working for you?

Have lost 20 lbs. on Atkins since April 7.

Feel like I need a change because the weight is not coming off anymore.

If you would like, send me a PM with your email addy and we can talk about it. I can't send you a PM til you have 25 posts.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:24

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Default Low carb

Atkins...lost 31 lbs as of this morning since june 1st(seriously) I did start around May 5th but I cheated alot and hadn't read Atkins book
I take .300 snythroid last test .54 I like staying as close to 0 as possible without going hyper
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 06:43
Registered Member

Plan: SYNDROME X
Stats: 252/162/150 Female 65 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi, I'm insulin resistan with Hypothyroidism. Itried for 20 years to loose weight, unsuccesfully. I am on the Syndrme X diet-low carb, low fat(except for olive oil) lo calories very little fruit, very little dairy. I lost 17 lbs and now I am on a stall for 2 weeks-how depressing!!!is this normal??? Anyway I've started this proces and for the first time in my life I WILL PREVAIL!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:17

Stats: 240/190/180 Male 6'1 inch
BF:19 %
Progress: 83%
Default Mind-over-matter

I'm doing Atkins and have been for over a year now. In the first 4 months I lost about 30 pounds. I've been stuck at 190 since around the begining of this year. I'm going by body fat though. I want 15% body fat, I can't seem to get below 19%! I work out a least 60 -90 minutes a day and have been since Juen of '02. Serious working out people I don't rest from them monment I walk in the gym, HR is at 155 plus the whole time. Both a combination of resistance training (wiegths) and cardio. I'm HYPO, my last TSH and T4 in Jan were 2.82 (tsh) and 1.5 (t4). I'm tired all the time, it's my motivation that keeps me going. I know alot of you are probably saying "you don't have a problem you've lost 50 pounds!" You're right, I have and despite what in one would tell me about what meds or levels their taking or how their feeling I say on thing to all of you. MIND-OVER-MATTER! I know my levels are screwed up because I'm tired, but I've been so motivated, and worked so hard over the last year I lost the 50 pounds anyway! If I add carbs, if I don't work out 6 days a week and bust may ass I will gain. I'm just now getting my levels looked at becuse it's making my goal of 15% body fat very hard to achive if not impossilbe despite my motivation. Motivation and drive will allow your body to overcome many obsticals, don't get down on yourselves, quit making excusese "Oh it's my thyroid thats why I can't loose weight." It may slow your progress, but it won' stop you if your motivated! Just hang in there you can do it! Let's take Lance Armstrong as example:
Lance is a 5 time in a row Tour De'Fance Champion!
About 5 or so years ago he was told he had cancer and was going to die. He told his doctor NO! No! I'm not! Your wrong! His cancer went into full remision and he's on a record pace to becoming the all time back to back Tour De'France Champion! How? MIND-OVER-MATTER! So stop sitting around reading this and making excuses and getup and go workout! Tell you body, tell your damn thyroid: NO! No you don't! You CAN NOT stop me! I will loose weight! I will reach my goal! And you will not get in the way! Make sure you're as optimzed with your levels as you can be, so you progress will go faster. However remember nothing can stop your body and minds will and determination!
I've been on the same thyroid dose for the last 2 years, I know it's not optimized becuse of being tired despite being very athletic. My resting pulse is under 60 beats a minute. Anyone know anyone that's tired all the time but runs 4-5 miles a day!? Then wieght lifts while doing jumping jacks in between his sets? Anyone? Motivation. Mind-over-matter. My temp is never above 97%, many belive these are also indicators that your thyroid is screwed up and you Hypo. I take .200 of Synthroid every day. Despite not being 100 percent I still lost the majority of my weight. How? You know how..Mind-Over-Matter! Motivation! I'm only getting changed now because I want the other 10 pounds of damn fat off as soon as possible. I can do it, so can you! Maybe you can't walk more than a block a day. So, walk that block today and tomorrow walk that block and couple of more steps. Soon you'll walk 2 blocks then 3 then 4 and 5. Before you know it you'll be racing along, healthy and loosing weight. Running 4-5 miles a day saying to yourself I'm gunna meet my goal and get these last 10 pounds off!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up!"

- Jimmy V

- Mike
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:18

Stats: 240/190/180 Male 6'1 inch
BF:19 %
Progress: 83%

Please excuse my typo's I was in a hurry.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:02

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I, too, felt that same way the first week wannabefit..I thought if I looked at another egg I'd die!!!!! My DH encouraged me to hold out and give it a try and lo and behold...I look FORWARD to my eggs now...I think the nausea was just my body trying to adjust...I felt really awful during induction and didn't start to feel "decent" until my third week...my daughter experienced the same thing....it may be just a case of holding out a couple of weeks for you.....
I am hypothyroid and could not lose on W.W. or Meridia but so far I am able to on Atkins...(it was my Dr. that suggested it)

Hope you find success soon...

tulips
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:03

Plan: herbalife
Stats: 157/130/130 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just got introduced to the plan which is low carb by Herbalife
( an international herbal nutrition company ) and in the two weeks I
have lost 7lbs of fat, and I have never felt so energetic since my
teens.

alicia
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:08

Stats: 217/186/167 Male 5'8"
BF:??
Progress: 62%
Default Weight lost

Hi everyone
I've lost a total of 38lbs as of this morning....and I've cheat alot the last 3 weeks... but no more until I reach my desired weight of 170 I hit 179 this morning

Chris
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:56
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I am going by a book called Low Carb Dieting for Dummies and have lost 8 lb. in one month. It is essentially moderated carbs and low fat. I get heck from the Atkins dieters every time I mention it is low fat. But I have tried to do Atkins twice and got so constipated I got sick. There is no induction and I can have all the fruit and veggies I want as well as BREAD! But starchy fruit, veggies and bread products are limited to 5 small portions a day. I can also have nuts and peanut butter. No sugar or white flour though. So I have to use whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice. Dr. Phil's food plan is essentially the same. I also can't have butter, so I use all fruit spread on toast and I use that butter buds or a butter spray. I can even have a potato once in awhile.

Last edited by fluffybear : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 16:59.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:21

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I am on Atkins Induction and I have been on it 10 weeks and 2 days and I have lost 35 pounds...I have hypothyroidism...My meds are still being switched around here and there trying to get it at a normal range...I also have PCOS and I am still losing about 3.5 pounds per week...And I would say thats great being I was gaining over a pound a month for the 2 years before I started this WOL.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:10

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Lightbulb Advice Requested

I had problems with my thyroid in university, and was given a radioactive iodine uptake test and send to an endocrinologist. I vaguely (this was 27 years ago) remember taking meds for about six weeks, then being discontinued? Someone posted here that she had been hyperactive as a child then had radioactive iodine in her teens..man sounds like me.

Anyhow, I have been struggling with my doc for years..and don't tell me to get another one, there aren't any taking patients in my town (I live in small city Ontario..go figger). I have tried to tell him that when I get a 99F temp, that for me is like over a hundred for others as my temp is always around 97.2F My feet and hands are constantly freezing, mys kin is dry and I am always always tired, no matter how much I sleep or how well I eat. Every time I see him he tells me to cut out the fast food and lose weight. WELL I don't eat fast food! I was trying to tell him I was eating 1200 calories a day, practically NO fat and NOT losing anyweight..he looked at me like I was lying!

I have been following Atkins induction almost to the letter...not a speck of bread, noodles, sugar, etc. for nearly four weeks, right on target with fat/carb/protein percentages, drinking my water, taking my supplements. I only had two "cheats" and they were minor. I lost the first week, then stalled. While my mood improved, I feel lousy. I am constipated (finally resorted to metamucil), my legs feel like they can't hold me up etc. I do feel that in many ways I am actually eating better than I was, and I am not gaining but...it is frustrating.

Anyhow, any suggestions as to where I could read more on thyroid etc. and its relation to weight loss/gain? What should I tell my doc. I was going to say I want a thyroid function test and blood glucose testing..does that sound right?

Sorry this sounds a little rambling. BTW what is PCOS?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 22:23

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I would defiantly ask the doctor to do a free t3 and free t4 test just to see where your levels are...That may very well be the reason you have a hard time lose weight...I blood glucose test would be fine to take as long as you have been on this WOL for at least 6 weeks...that would be for a acurate result...I would think if it was sugar related you would be losing at a faster rate...But I would defiantly have the thyroid checked out...I don't know of any sites in paticular...I just do searches on yahoo and click on whatever I find...Good Luck