Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:36

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default flaxseed meal

greetings judi - did you ever come up with your own recipe? i bought some flaxseed meal, and i am dying to make something with it, so i thought of this thread.... but no specific recipe yet.
thanks,
brenda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 19:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Brenda

I make plain old flaxseed "porridge" quite often. Next time, buy whole flax seeds and grind them at home in a coffee grinder or spice mill .. much cheaper ... Do make sure to keep that package of ground flaxseeds tightly sealed in the fridge once it's opened.

OK, 3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds ... pour not-quite-boiling water over top, stir well, add some butter, sweetener, a little cream if you like ... a dot of vanilla, or I sometimes add a dash of cinnamon. about 1/3 cup water should do, you can adjust to suit yourself. It's a bit "slimy" textured, but otherwise very reminiscent of cream of whole wheat.

3 Tbsp flaxseeds has 10.2g total carbs, of which 8.4g is fiber. So 1.8g effective carbs.

You could try mixing a Tbsp of wheat bran into the dry flax before pouring the water over ... you'll probably need to add more water. 1 Tbsp raw wheat bran has 2.2g total carbs, of which 1.5g is fiber.

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 19:38

hi doreen!
thanks! i had read your post somewhere else that had this recipe, but i couldn't find it when i went looking again. i think i am going to try this on friday, after my thanksgiving feast.
by the way, what will the raw wheat bran do for me and/or the texture? i'm afraid of eating something resembling bread dough.
regards,
brenda
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 19:47
Forum Founder

BF:

RAw wheat bran will do nothing really. I only mentioned it since it seems there was wheat bran in this flax-o-meal stuff that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

My 2¢ .. leave it out

Bad suggestion, I'm sending myself to the doghouse right now!!

Arff

Doreen
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default sorry to be so late....

... but the 3 jobs are getting to me!

The wheat bran is probably in the flax-o-meal recipe to add insoluble fiber, which most folks expect in a high-fiber product. The fiber in the flaxseed is a good mix of mostly soluble and some insoluble fiber. They do different good things for the digestive tract.

I'm VERY sure the bran is not there for flavour, talk about tasting like twigs , so if you don't like it don't add it.

I had in mind to try this as a starting point for the pseudo-FlaxOmeal:

1/3 Cup (1 Scoop, 70cc) ground flax seeds, or flaxseed meal
1/4 Cup raw or toasted wheat bran
2 Tablespoons (1/8 Cup) soy protein isolate powder
2 Tablespoons ground almonds
- stir together these ingredients, then while stirring, add:
1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
sweetener equivalent of 2 Teaspoons (STwin, Stevia, whatever)
1 pinch salt

- Stir together again and put in an airtight jar (keep in fridge);
- when wanted, take 1/4 Cup of mix, add water and/or cream to taste, nuke gently OR heat water and/or cream to taste, add to 1/4 Cup of mix (preferred method).

====
Mind you, I haven't tried it yet.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

I did not realize how much I liked Flax-O-Meal until I ran out of it this past week. I ordered 2 from Netrition and they came yesterday, one of Cinnamon Spice and one of Butter Pecan. The CS is more a breakfasty cereal and the BP is more of a dessert cereal. Very good.

I guess I really like this pencily, twiggy stuff. It grows on you.

sj
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 23:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'll have to give it another try. Maybe all the flavoring settled to the bottom of the package (I made the mistake on my second attempt to eat this to not get the flax o'meal up to room temperature before mixing with boiling water. It started out lukewarm, and that didn't help
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 19:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/228/135
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question

Hi,

Iv been lurking around this site for a while and usually find answers to the questions I have. But this time I have been unable to find an answer to the question of fiber to carb counting - why does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help,
Janine
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 19:39

Stats: 288/238/125
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have a question about the hot flax cereal. I have made the hot cereal from the recipe. The one with flax meal and water and soy and my kids seem to like it but the gummy texture just kind of turns my stomach. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the texture to something not so slimy? My kids are really getting sad about breakfasts. I need to come up with more creative ideas. Something like the cereal. Any help?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 21:31

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Chocolate Flax

I received my shipment of chocolate flax and let me say MMMMMMMMMMM!!! It tastes like sugar free hot chocolate except thicker and its still really good!

Cathyeu
I always add butter to my cereal and I make it kinda thin with water since I dont like thick and clumpy either. I have also used heavy cream to lighten it up as well. Isnt that a play on words heavy cream to lighten something.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 21:55
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by VFJHieBOSS
Hi,

Iv been lurking around this site for a while and usually find answers to the questions I have. But this time I have been unable to find an answer to the question of fiber to carb counting - why does it make a difference?

Thanks for your help,
Janine
ji Janine,

Fiber is a complex carbohydrate, but unlike sugar and starch .. it's not absorbed from the intestinal tract. Therefore, it doesn't contribute any "carb" calories. So, you may subtract any grams of fiber in a food .. from the total carbohydrate count. What's left is known as effective carb count or ECC (if you follow Protein Power) or Net Atkins Carbs

Read labels carefully .. some food processors are pre-subtracting the fiber already .. so you don't subtract again.

Doreen
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%
Smile FlaxOmeal and the like....

Hi Y'all,
This is Julee, the creator of the FlaxOmeal Hot Cereal. (and Pancake and Waffle Mix) I gotta tell you, my partners in the office and I laughed at some of the comments until we cried! Especially the "twigs" comments. :-) The earthy flavor you are talking about does indeed come from the flax seed meal. We use the highest quality naturally grown flax from Canada, however ALL flax has that slightly woody taste. As for the cereal being SO not sweet, you are SO right. :-) We manufacture it unsweetened, as some people have problems with various sweeteners. I eat mine (favorite, butter pecan :-) with splenda, butter and cream....YUMMMM. The Butter Pecan flavor also works great as "breadcrumbs" for meatloaf or even salmon patties. (unsweetened, remember? :-)
And as of today, lowcarb luxury.com has reviewed our new FlaxOmeal Pancake and Waffle Mix, with the reviews being excellent. Thanks and it's nice to have stumbled upon this cool website!!! Julee
P.S. The cereal IS packed by "real people". :-) But now after sellling 70,000 bags in 2 months we are going fully automated! :-) Thank you for your patronage and questions and feel free to email me anytime.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 00:10

Default i ordered some today!!!

I got tired of trying and not getting it right so I ordered some on-line today.
what a treat to get the creator on our site. hope you stay around awhile and give us some tips.
thanks
Brenda
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 00:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Flaxie, this is Twiggy

I just had another bowl of the butter pecan, logged on, and there you were!

I think it's fine that the cereal is unsweetened -- I agree that there are people who have issues with sweeteners. And I know that taste and taste buds are very individual. I can smell a faint whiff of the butter pecan flavoring, but I've never tasted it. (I can eat unsweetened cocoa neat, so I'm not expecting something sweetie sweet, and actually dislike most artificial sweeteners because they're TOO sweet.)

I know that tastebuds are totally individual, and I may just be an oddball, but I would humbly suggest adding a bit more flavoring.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%
Wink Hi Y'all!!!

Hi Twiggy and Brenda!! :-)
Thanks for replying back and for your suggestions. On the flavoring thing.....our flavors are the finest bakery flavors, but since we don't sweeten we run the risk of the cereal having a bitter aftertaste if we up the amount of flavorings. (believe me, we've tried EVERY configuration to make the cereal as good as it can possibly be and still keep the carb count down) My suggestion would be to add whatever Davinci syrup you think complements the flavor. Sometimes I use the caramel in the butter pecan flavor and the cookies and cream in the chocolate.
Thanks again for the warm welcome, and please keep me posted on new products you would love to see, and anything else you think we need to know.
All the Best, Julee