Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 09:57

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Also not taken into consideration is the reliability of BMI. When I watch an older program (like Columbo or Matlock) with Jane Fonda type aerobics featured, I'm always taken aback at how flabby the ladies look. But that was the ideal back then. The ideal look today is a lot more muscular. And resistance training is part of most exerciser's regimens. Even my 82 year old mother does strength training. And who hasn't seen the video of Ruth Bader Ginsburg planking?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 10:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Back in the '80s I smoked 3 packs a day & had ulcers. So I didn't eat much & threw up a lot. And I was very skinny - you should see my wedding pictures!

Around 1990 I quit smoking & ate everything in sight. I went from being addicted to nicotine to being addicted to food - especially popcorn, potato chips & anything bread-like.

The main difference I see between then & now is that smoking is not as accepted, nor is it as cheap - there's no way I could afford to smoke now.

I wasn't able to eat low carb until I started OA & actually worked the steps. On my way to my first meeting I ate my last bag of potato chips. Within a few months I was able to ditch the popcorn & anything made of wheat flour and/or sugar. Tho it took me a LONG time to figure out the rest of low carb for a food addicted t2 diabetic. I still eat too much, but I'm getting there.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 10:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Possibilities:

Antibiotics or other medications (they give antibiotics to animals to fatten them, probably works the same on us)
Estrogenic properties of plastics. (Male sperm count keeps decreasing)
Pollution?

Just a few off the top of my head.

It isn't genes. You don't have huge sudden swings with genetics. Epigenetics caused by something environmental is much more likely.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Mar-29-19 at 10:54.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 10:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think an argument can be made that we are in fact eating more. That doesn't mean that I think that the eating more causes the weight gain, it might be as much a symptom as the overweight itself, rather than root cause. Food availability and dietary recall are astonishingly crappy ways of knowing what and how much the population is eating.

One thing that might need to be looked at here is the contribution of lean mass to bmi. I've seen pictures of some of my male ancestors, they didn't just look lean, they also looked like they carried less muscle than more recent family members. The bmi calculator tells me the lower end of a normal body weight for me is 125 pounds, I'm not getting there without losing a lot of muscle. And hopefully some sort of intervention.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 10:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

When I was a kid, the cottage cheese and a burger patty diet plate was still a thing in cafeterias. Maybe dieting actually worked back then. My favourite meal was when my Mom made cottage cheese, kolbassa and fruit salad plates at home. A little sugary, but a relatively low carb meal compared to what counts as diet food later.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 11:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

#22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 11:11

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

One more possibility to throw into the mix: Not just how much we're eating or what we're eating, but how often.

Jason Fung has a theory that much of the obesity epidemic can be attributed to eating more often (snacks, "six small meals"), which keeps insulin perpetually raised: Critical Importance of Meal Timing

Quote:
There have been two main changes in dietary habits from the 1970s (before the obesity epidemic) until today. First, there was the change is what we were recommended to eat. Prior to 1970, there was no official government sanctioned dietary advice....

But the other major change was in when we eat. There were no official recommendations on this, but nevertheless, eating patterns changed significantly, and I believe contributed equally to the obesity crisis. From the NHANES study in 1977, most people ate was 3 times per day – breakfast, lunch and dinner....

By 2004, the world had changed. Most people were now eating almost 6 times per day. It is almost considered child abuse to deprive your child of a mid-morning snack or after school snack. If they play soccer, it somehow became necessary to give them juice and cookies between the halves. We run around chasing our kids to eat cookies and drink juice, and then wonder why we have a childhood obesity crisis.
Personally, I think it's probably a combination. Sure, lots of kids ate PB&J on Wunderbread for lunch every day. But there was recess twice a day and kids ran around. In high school, kids walked half a mile to catch the city bus instead of getting car-pooled and had PE every day or played sports. After school, their moms told them to eat an apple (not a quart of orange juice and a granola bar) and then yelled at them to go outside. Then they ate a dinner that was cooked from whole foods, even if it did include potatoes or rice every night. Dessert was an occasional treat and, even then, sometimes it was fruit. After dinner, you didn't eat again until breakfast 12 or 13 hours later.

Now, everyone eats for 16 hours a day, PE or recess is a couple of times a week, getting to a bus stop more than a 1/4 mile away is a flipping tragic inconvenience, and most people I know always have ice cream in the freezer. My guess is that if you've got constant eating and/or lots of sugar and carbs going on for a long period of time, you're going to get fat. Mild levels of steady eating and carbs can probably be offset to some degree by exercise in otherwise healthy (young) people.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 11:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

LOL! That will take care of your appetite.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 11:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and my family was clearly an outlier. We always had soda in the house. There was a local bottling plant called Brookdale Beverage and you could get a case (12 bottles) of soda in glass bottles there. They must have had two dozen flavors at least. It was a treat for my sisters and I to go with my dad on a Saturday morning to bring back our case of empties to be reused, and to get new bottles. My sisters and I were each allowed to pick a couple flavors and then my dad picked the rest. We always had snacks in the house from door-to-door vendors: potato chips and chocolate chip cookies from the Charlie’s Chips man and donuts from the Dugan Donuts man. After church on Sunday my folks always stopped at the bakery for coffee cake and pastries. Ice cream was a constant as my mom was an ice creamoholic. In addition to ice cream in the freezer we often went to Holsten’s (later famous as the location for the very last scene of The Sopranos) for their wonderful homemade ice cream.

Yet my sisters and I were all skinny kids. Of course I did walk to school every day starting at age 6. It was 3/4 of a mile to school and we came home for lunch every day too, so that was 3 miles of walking daily. Not many 6-year-olds walk three miles daily these days, but my mom had two toddlers at home and was not about to drive me!

Then I hit puberty and moved to a school less than a 1/2 mile from home, and no coming home for lunch so much less walking, plus the hormone storm. And weight began slowly to creep up.

Age 11, just before the hormone storm:
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 12:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
I, too, think there are other factors in addition to calories consumed and calories burned.

There are many, many external endocrine disruptors now. Arielle mentioned the BPAS, and hormone disruptors in plastic. Those hormone disruptors are also in the flame retardants in upholstery.

And there are the massive EMFs. Dr. Samuel Milham published a book called, Dirty Electricity, showing the differences in cases of serious diseases between those who use electricity and those who don't, such as the Old Order Amish.

The way cattle and crops are raised and processed now is drastically different.

To me, this situation points to eating the cleanest food we can manage.

I don't remember snacking being a norm in the 80s. At least not with the people I know. For me, this came after 2000. Now, it seems people just eat whatever they choose, whenever they choose.

Eating regular meals, and not munching on that and that between meals, seems to be swimming upstream. Perhaps it's just who I notice.

3 meals a day plus snacks is coming from the American government and the doctors. When I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, I was told to eat 3 meals a day and 2-3 snacks between. I kid you NOT. The suggested snack was Ritz and peanut butter. I kid you NOT. When I got home from the meeting with the nutritionist I tossed everything in the trash. And continued reading DANDR for support.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 12:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Merpig-- I too walked to school in the 60's and when we got home played outside until dinner or dark. We were all skinny in the neighborhood. Funny how I had forgotten how many miles a day we traveled each day as kids!!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 15:38

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Omg, that reminds me of James Lileks' Gallery of Regrettable Foods. I'd forgotten all about it. Thanks for the laugh.

#28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 18:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I had to look it up to see what Eggs Meurette - those are supposed to be eggs poached in red wine sauce. I love eggs, but I don't know if I could bring myself to eat those. They look like small skinned heads. Rat maybe?

A modern picture of Eggs Meurette looks much more appetizing.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...nch-recipe.html
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-19, 19:19

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Haha, you can certainly fall down the rabbit hole at the Gallery of Regrettable Foods. No wonder people were thinner then! Who would actually EAT those things?
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-19, 02:41

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I recently watched the documentary Apollo 11 (2019) at the theater. I was amazed at at all of the think people. They showed the crowd (hundreds, thousands) who drove and camped / parked to watch the 1969 lift off. They were all thin. I had to look hard, and saw one guy with a beer belly (with a can of beer in hand). That was it. Kids were not over weight either. Amazing.