Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 20:32

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I downloaded F.lux a few years back for my computer. Automatically adjusts color for time of day. Works well and was free.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 04:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Interestingly, according to this article in The Times this morning, it would seem that too much sleep could also be a problem:

Quote:
Sleepyheads told to avoid the lie‑ins for a longer life

Perky morning people may be on to something. Those who spend longer in bed are more likely to die early and develop cardiovascular disease.
Research led by Keele University found people who slept more than eight hours a night were at greater risk than those who slept for seven hours or fewer. People sleeping for ten hours were 30 per cent more likely to die prematurely than those who slept seven hours — 56 per cent more likely to die from a stroke and 49 per cent more likely to die from cardiovascular disease.

The study, published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, drew on data from 74 studies involving more than three million people. It also found that poor sleep quality was associated with a 44 per cent increase in coronary heart disease.

Chun Shing Kwok, the lead researcher, said: “Abnormal sleep is a marker of elevated cardiovascular risk. There are cultural, social, psychological, behavioural and environmental influences on our sleep such as the need to care for children or family members, irregular working patterns, physical or mental illness, and the 24-hour availability of commodities in modern society.”

He said: “Clinicians should have greater consideration for exploring sleep duration and quality during consultations. If excessive sleep patterns are found, then clinicians should consider screening for adverse cardiovascular risk factors and obstructive sleep apnoea, which occurs when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep.”

The researchers said that the limitations of the study included that sleep duration was self-reported and that underlying physical or mental health conditions could drive extreme sleep patterns.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-life-5xnkxbx57

Quote:
Self‐Reported Sleep Duration and Quality and Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality: A Dose‐Response Meta‐Analysis

Chun Shing Kwok Evangelos Kontopantelis George Kuligowski Matthew Gray Alan Muhyaldeen Christopher P. Gale George M. Peat Jacqueline Cleator Carolyn Chew‐Graham … Show all Authors
Originally published3 Aug 2018Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018;7:e008552

Abstract

Background

There is growing evidence that sleep duration and quality may be associated with cardiovascular harm and mortality.

Methods and Results

We conducted a systematic review, meta‐analysis, and spline analysis of prospective cohort studies that evaluate the association between sleep duration and quality and cardiovascular outcomes. We searched MEDLINE and EMBASE for these studies and extracted data from identified studies. We utilized linear and nonlinear dose‐response meta‐analysis models and used DerSimonian–Laird random‐effects meta‐analysis models of risk ratios, with inverse variance weighting, and the I2 statistic to quantify heterogeneity. Seventy‐four studies including 3 340 684 participants with 242 240 deaths among 2 564 029 participants who reported death events were reviewed. Findings were broadly similar across both linear and nonlinear dose‐response models in 30 studies with >1 000 000 participants, and we report results from the linear model. Self‐reported duration of sleep >8 hours was associated with a moderate increased risk of all‐cause mortality, with risk ratio, 1.14 (1.05–1.25) for 9 hours, risk ratio, 1.30 (1.19–1.42) for 10 hours, and risk ratio, 1.47 (1.33–1.64) for 11 hours. No significant difference was identified for periods of self‐reported sleep <7 hours, whereas similar patterns were observed for stroke and cardiovascular disease mortality. Subjective poor sleep quality was associated with coronary heart disease (risk ratio, 1.44; 95% confidence interval, 1.09–1.90), but no difference in mortality and other outcomes.

Conclusions

Divergence from the recommended 7 to 8 hours of sleep is associated with a higher risk of mortality and cardiovascular events. Longer duration of sleep may be more associated with adverse outcomes compared with shorter sleep durations.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.118.008552

#18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 04:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

BTW, for those not aware of it, there is a very interesting thread about sleep over in the Paleolithic & Neanderthin forum:

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=196014
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 05:51

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I downloaded F.lux a few years back for my computer. Automatically adjusts color for time of day. Works well and was free.
f.lux is great - use it every day.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 06:30

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'm on the wait list now. How is it?

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, Matthew P. Walker (2017)

Very good! He strikes me as a good teacher. He even notes how to pronounce certain words.

It's amazing how complicated sleep is. I'm hoping by the end, I'll pick up some pointers, but already I have a greater respect for the need for quality sleep which is more of a battle when you get older. He says, btw, that it's not true that older people need less sleep.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 08:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Very good! He strikes me as a good teacher. He even notes how to pronounce certain words.

It's amazing how complicated sleep is. I'm hoping by the end, I'll pick up some pointers, but already I have a greater respect for the need for quality sleep which is more of a battle when you get older. He says, btw, that it's not true that older people need less sleep.
Thanks!

I have a sleep mask that should be delivered today. It's hard to judge when you'll fall asleep, and how long you've slept, so that you can avoid sleeping too long, as studies have shown is detrimental to longevity. I guess like everything else you do what you can.

#22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 08:47

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
The researchers said that the limitations of the study included that sleep duration was self-reported and that underlying physical or mental health conditions could drive extreme sleep patterns.

When it comes to too much sleep, I think we're too quick to associate it with sloth and not the body's underlying need for more sleep to repair.

Dr. Gominak focuses on the repair aspect of sleep.

Her blog

March 2015 lecture at EtMC Neuroscience Symposium
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:21

BF:

When I think of too much sleep what comes to my mind is illnesses like depression that drive up apparent sleep needs. Could a fully healthy person really manage to consistently sleep for ten hours a day by lying around extra time in bed trying to? My guess is they'll sleep their normal amount then be done and not be able to do it (unless they were up all night the day before or something). Some people naturally fall outside the typical bell-shaped curve statistically as healthily needing more or less sleep than average, but for the person who didn't used to need as much sleep and is now constantly tired and sleeping ten hours a day, that sounds like a likely marker or warning sign something is wrong. Often enough that lengthier than average sleep statistically correlates with disease. I don't picture lying around in bed being slothful, somehow managing to make one's self sleep longer, is causing the disease or that making one's self get less sleep is the cure for it either.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:33

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
... or that making one's self get less sleep is the cure for it either.

Unfortunately, I've seen the "make yourself sleep less" as the cure far too frequently. Maybe that's just something that I see because of my baggage.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRuth
When it comes to too much sleep, I think we're too quick to associate it with sloth and not the body's underlying need for more sleep to repair.

Her blog

Thanks!

Correlation between Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome and Cardiac Disease Severity 2-16-2014

OSA is common and independently associated with hypertension and increased arterial stiffness in consecutive perimenopausal women. 7-2014

BACKGROUND:

Perimenopause is associated with increased cardiovascular risk. OSA is an emerging risk factor for cardiovascular disease, particularly among men, but the independent contribution of OSA to cardiovascular risk in climacteric women is not clear.

METHODS:

We evaluated 277 consecutive women (age, 56 [52-61] years; BMI, 28 [25-32] kg/m2) without manifest cardiovascular disease (heart failure, coronary disease, or stroke). All women underwent 24-h ambulatory BP monitoring, arterial stiffness evaluation (pulse wave velocity), and portable sleep study.
RESULTS:

OSA (apnea-hypopnea index ≥ 5 events/h) and moderate to severe OSA (apnea-hypopnea index ≥ 15 events/h) were diagnosed in 111 (40.1%) and 31 (11.1%) women, respectively. None of the participants had received a previous diagnosis of OSA. Women with moderate to severe OSA vs those without OSA had a higher prevalence of hypertension, were prescribed more medications for hypertension, had higher awake BP (systolic, 133 [125-142] vs 126 [119-134] mm Hg [P < .01]; diastolic, 82 [78-88] vs 79 [74-85] mm Hg [P = .07]), higher nocturnal BP (systolic, 125 [118-135] vs 115 [109-124] mm Hg [P < .01]; diastolic, 73 [69-79] vs 69 [62-75] mm Hg [P < .01]), and more arterial stiffness (pulse wave velocity, 11.5 [10.1-12.3] m/s vs 9.5 [8.6-10.8] m/s, P < .001). Oxygen desaturation index during the night was independently associated with 24-h arterial BP and arterial stiffness (per five-unit increase in oxygen desaturation index, β = 1.30 [95% CI, 0.02-2.54; P = .04] vs 0.22 [95% CI, 0.03-0.40; P = .02] in women with vs without OSA, respectively).
CONCLUSIONS:

OSA is common, underdiagnosed, and independently associated with high BP and increased arterial stiffness in perimenopausal women.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:42

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
BTW, for those not aware of it, there is a very interesting thread about sleep over in the Paleolithic & Neanderthin forum:

Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=196014

Demi, thanks for this thread. So far I've only read a few of the pages, maybe I'll get to the rest of it later. Haven't read this book, though, so I have nothing to say about it...

Seems a very short window for what is the ideal amount of sleep per day - as a prophylactic against premature mortality from all causes...

Someone actually speculated in one of these links that because of this sort window for ideal amount of sleep, maybe people weren't really meant to live as far North as Scotland (!)

and amounts of sleep vary due to the seasons, based on your location - when it's less than eight hours between when the sun sets and when it rises, in summer, I find it hard to get in eight hours. I don't want to go to sleep until several hours after the sun sets. I don't even want to eat dinner until 21:00 or later.

In some areas of the world, like Spain, people split their sleeps between an afternoon nap during the hottest part of the summer afternoon. Then they stay up late, sleep again, and get up early, so they can get their work done before it gets too hot.

And I do go to bed earlier and sleep later in winter, which I attribute again to the earlier sunsets and later sunrises. This seems normal and natural to me.

#27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've seen the "make yourself sleep less" as the cure far too frequently. Maybe that's just something that I see because of my baggage.

Taking a total guess, I'd say it's the influence of the old American work ethic of centuries gone by. That getting less sleep and being more productive is valued as more morally right. Can't speak for men since I'm not one, but it seems to me like a lot of ladies think this way. With lack of sleep and general busy-ness seen as badges of honor. Don't get me wrong. Work is good, but so is needed rest.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 11:51

BF:

Cardiovascular risk in patients with sleep apnea with or without continuous positive airway pressure therapy: follow-up of 4.5 million Danish adults 6-9-2014

Conclusion

Sleep apnoea is associated with increased risks of ischaemic stroke and MI, in particularly in patients younger than 50 years of age. In unselected sleep apnoea patients in a real-life setting, CPAP therapy was not associated with a reduced rate of cardiovascular events. Further studies of the association between sleep apnoea and cardiovascular disease risk as well as of the clinical impact of CPAP are warranted.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 12:12

BF:

Quote:

Her blog

wow... around the 19 minute mark - bacteria in your colon make B vitamins
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 12:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

When I was metabolically out of whack I was not a sound sleeper. I was easily stirred awake. I could and would stay up late. Going to bed at 1 or 2 AM was not uncommon. I welcomed sleeping in on weekends. I was groggy through a few cups of coffee every morning. A lopsided football game on TV was a welcome opportunity for my usual Saturday or Sunday afternoon nap. That was my life for over 20 years.

After going low carb as a lifestyle 4.5 years ago my sleep patterns changed a lot. I can't stay up late anymore. I sleep deeper at night. I wake up early - perky and ready for the day. Napping during the day is an impossibility. I can lay down and shut my eyes -- but I can no longer fall asleep during the daylight hours.

"They" say that we all need 8 hours of sleep per night. My fitness tracker logs deep sleep (little movement) vs. restless/light sleep. I find that the duration of the sleep does not matter as much as how much deep sleep I get. If I'm hot at night I usually don't sleep as well. If my "deep sleep" number is less than 4 hours I will usually feel a little sleepy at times through the following day. If I get 4 to 6 hours of deep sleep then I am good to go - even if my total sleep is just 7 (or so) hours.

The one thing that I think they miss in these sleep related studies is metabolic health as a driver of good or bad sleep and sleep habits. From what I've discovered about myself eating crappy food that breaks my metabolism leaves me deprived of good, quality sleep. I can't eat poorly and force myself to sleep well. Eating LCHF -- the way I need to eat -- along with daily activity fixes my metabolism, syncs me up with my circadian rhythm, resulting in a better nights sleep. I am now a morning person - which is something that I never thought that I'd be. I don't sleep great every night -- but I do most nights. For much of the past 4 years I've slept better than a baby.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Aug-07-18 at 19:26.