Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Accepting you will never eat keto for life?

A few nights ago the cravings started. Normally they go away the next morning then maybe sneak back up at night. Well this time they wouldn't stop. So even when I see its about to be a thunderstorm I just hop into my car like a man possessed and start driving in a carb hazed mind. To my local grocery store and kept telling myself we'll just grab a few things and go. Well I left there with more than I expected, spent 37 dollars on a bunch of processed food so you know it was a lot of junk food. Now I am starting to wonder if keto for life is for me. Maybe its okay to make keto your default way of eating while knowing you will have these huge slipups once in awhile but you know you will keep doing keto but have to live with these moments of weakness?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:00

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Moments of weakness are moments of learning and are good teachers - a grateful feeling can be generated by experiencing them.

See what happens next, be open. You are not failing, you are growing

be well!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Moments of weakness are moments of learning and are good teachers - a grateful feeling can be generated by experiencing them.

See what happens next, be open. You are not failing, you are growing

be well!

Do you ever slipup? Or what changed inside of you to where you don't cheat anymore?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

I still think low-carb with slip-ups is a heck-of-a-lot healthier than Standard American Diet.

I've found it helpful to have ideas for low-carb alternatives to binge on if temptation does become overwhelming.

For example,

Instead of binging on a jar of Nutella, binge on a jar of peanut butter.

Instead of binging on chips, cook up a whole slab of bacon.

Instead of binging on ice cream, try coconut milk/cream with dark chocolate.

Instead of binging on spaghetti and bread, treat yourself to a big delicious steak.

Haven't figured out a good substitute for Oreos yet though.

The calories might be really high, but low carb foods are self-limiting to some extent, and you don't feel like crap later like you do with carbs. It's much easier to get right back on track. And you might find yourself missing a meal the next day because you aren't that hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:

As for my own slip-ups, so far this second time around I've been pretty good and haven't had too many. One thing that I think has helped is convincing myself that high carb foods are not human foods.

Beef is human food. Oreos are not human food. So eat beef.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I realize you asked thud123, but my 2¢ is that we all slip. I've been eating LCHF staying in ketosis, since 1972. Sometimes I just give in to the desire to eat the way others can (but I can't.)

People who claim they never slip are either fooling themselves are lying. It happens. I believe the secret is to not use the slip as an excuse to continue the trend. If you're a carb addict like me, you have to stop after one meal or slide down the slippery slope to regaining+.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:52
Registered Member

BF:

I feel so sick after eating this stuff. I ate less than 5 carbs a day for over a week then this happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180802_215113.jpg (28.2 KB, 23 views)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:56
Registered Member

BF:

I don't understand why my body craves something that makes me want to puke
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 22:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
I don't understand why my body craves something that makes me want to puke

I think it's probably some sort of drug-like effect on the brain somehow.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 22:10
Registered Member

BF:

What do you guys think I should do with all the carbs I have left. I want to throw them away because I am feeling so nauseous and sick after eating that stuff I'd rather deal with cravings than this sick puking feeling.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:

Throw them out, and go get a jar of peanut butter if you think you'll have more cravings you won't be able to deal with.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 22:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Throw them out, and go get a jar of peanut butter if you think you'll have more cravings you won't be able to deal with.

I'm going to put it in a trash bag next to my dumpster. There's always homeless people who dumpster dive and I'm sure they will appreciate it lol. Funny thing is a few days ago my sister says she's coming by to drop off a bunch of food she can't eat because she's starting a diet, I'm like hey I'm on a diet too! She then still comes by with bags of carbs galore which I proceeded to leave near my dumpster and then checked the next morning and some lucky homeless person hit the jackpot lol
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 06:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Accepting you will never eat keto for life?
Dude, I think this is the part of the equation you missed yesterday in your other two threads. You're talking about eating nothing but pork chops and spinach, and also talking about lifting and eating the SAD. I think you're missing the middle ground.

Refresh your memory with the actual Atkins plan if you haven't already - you list that as your plan in your profile. Here are the induction rules, and then Ongoing Weight Loss. There's good reason for having variety on induction, gradually adding back different foods after induction, and the order in which you do it.

I'm going to take a guess that the real thing you need to accept if you're going to be successful long-term is that a LC lifestyle takes commitment to planning ahead. Shopping. Cooking. Having good food at the ready, so that you're excuse-proof. Looking up restaurant menus online before you go.

I'm in maintenance and I choose to indulge in higher-carb foods here and there (I refuse to call them "slip-ups". They're a choice.) But my baseline meals are all LC, most of them induction-friendly, even. Right now, down in my kitchen, I have a huge selection of meal choices in the freezer: chili, wieners, different sausages, chicken breasts, cooked burgers, meatballs, pork chops, fish. Some of these can be done quickly in the microwave and/or clam shell grill. In the fridge/pantry, I've got canned fish, deli meat, eggs, LC baking ingredients, lots of different condiments, etc. I'm armed with a knowledge of how to do quick meals and snacks, including single-serving desserts. It's excuse-proof.

Let's talk about those lousy cravings now. You should really consider ditching all gluten and sugar, if you want the cravings to go away. Really, it gets so much easier when your brain isn't screaming at you this way. I thought I'd have to be plagued with it forever when I thought starvation and "everything in moderation" was the only way to sustain thinness. Lemme tell you, it is no way to live. It's incredibly freeing to be able to eat (practically) as much as you want, and just be satisfied, eat fabulous food, and then just go about the rest of your day.

...but you will (or you already have) learned the hard way that diving into flour- and sugar-based junk leads to serious setbacks that just aren't worth it. Some foods, you might be able to feel better within a day or two. Others, for a lot of us - it's more like a week minimum, weight gain, awful gastrointestinal symptoms, arthritis flare-ups, mental/emotional issues, cravings. Not worth it when you could have had a LC substitute.

Wishing you good luck. Stick around, maybe start a journal.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 08:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If I fall, I try to fall in the softest place possible. Bargain--nuts are generally a no-go zone for me. I probably won't lose weight that week if I fill the fridge with sour cream and the cupboard with pork rinds to dip it in. A fridge well-stocked with cheese and pepperoni isn't ideal for me either. But--if I'm at the grocery store, and cravings are hitting, I know that steering towards these things, it will be easier to get back on track to my business as usual keto diet than if I do something carby.

Best option for me personally is to make my diversions as fatty as possible. So walnuts or pecans or macadamia nuts vs. peanuts or cashews. Not necessarily ideal, but I find a fatty binge will often just leave me less hungry than usual the next day, where if it's higher in carbs or even protein, I'll be ready to binge again the next day.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 10:12

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 177/141/147 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 120%

The first thing I notice is that this seemed to hit after 5 days of extremely low carb...so it might have just been a case of low carb flu...had you just had a cup of broth and some cheese or bacon, etc and just gotten thru it you might have come out on the other side having killed off the blood sugar roller coaster. That low carb flu feeling is powerfully bad, but if you get thru it that is major success.
And don't try to stay sooo low carb..have a salad.

Also, it might help to take a good look at the pile of carbage that you spent your hard-earned money on.
1. Is it really even food?
2. What craving was it intended to staunch?
Crunchy, salty? Try pork rinds or salty nuts.
Cakey? Make a one-minute mug muffin (2 minute prep/micro). Creamy sweet? Make a Mock Danish (3 minute prep/micro). Or make yourself some low carb ice cream.
Pizza? Deep Dish Pizza Quiche hits the spot.
Pasta? Put your favorite sauce on zoodles or spaghetti squash, or make lasagna with zucchini slices.

Rather than thinking "I can never have X again." try to think of something that may give you that taste. For example, I love pumpkin, but I will NOT go back to sugar and wheat...so I recently modified a one minute mug muffin by adding pumpkin. Now when the weather gets cold, if I want to, I can have a pumpkin muffin with my morning tea.

Be well.