Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 12:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes the eating less and IF these days has been more prevalent on this site and IDK because when I was in loosing mode, I was eating a lot more regularly, to do what I thought was stabilizing my BS because I too thought the dizziness happened when my BS had dropped ..and that may be exactly what it was.
I do know from personal observation of my DH that when he was in loosing mode he was eating eggs and sausage every single morning. Now that he has reverted to the old days of 'run out because there is no time' I see him falling into carb creep because he's starving by lunch time and can't make a good low carb choice.
I also think it's important to learn how to eat low carb on a regular basis (before starting IF ) and just skipping real food and subbing in some fat bomb stuff teaches us nothing and provides few nutrients.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 12:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I personally do tend to a smaller eating window that starts with breakfast. There might be a tendency to say this is the right way, that's the right way when it works for the individual, but a lot of this stuff is sort of not set in stone when it comes to the science. Still try it and see what happens one person at a time.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 16:21
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Used to get what I thought was "reactive hypoglycemia" on one-meal-a-day, but couldn't verify it with a meter. In ketosis BG can get in that lower range with no symptoms. I supplement with homemade electrolyte now or sparkling mineral water. Some days I need a small breakfast to get going, other days I don't like today. Ill likely be hungry when the steak is ready
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 07:35

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
There's sort of a tendency to promote less rather than more meals with low carb these days. Studies looking at meal frequency generally aren't low carb. Gary Taubes wrote about high meal frequency only showing benefits at crazy lengths, seventeen meals a day. Lots of reason not to assume this applies to low carb diets as well--for one, low carb is already way less insulinogenic. Maybe you don't have to split low carb into meals as small to start seeing a benefit.

Well my weight is up 2 lbs eating every 2-3 hours I also was feeling so lousy the past 2 weeks, weak, tired that I didn't exercise or walk as much.

And it all started when I cut down on my food.. like I cut down on my protein servings because diet doctor docs where saying high protein could be bad and should increase fat and lower protein. Now I just read from a low carb doc to a patient who was having hypoglycemia to eat first thing when I get up and
increase protein! Ahhh! this is frustrating. I also found out now I'm sensitive to caffeine! I read a lot of people on keto and low carb are having the same issue! Now I have to switch to decaf or if that's still too much, I'll have to switch to herbal tea. I feel like a lab rat in this WOE.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Used to get what I thought was "reactive hypoglycemia" on one-meal-a-day, but couldn't verify it with a meter. In ketosis BG can get in that lower range with no symptoms. I supplement with homemade electrolyte now or sparkling mineral water. Some days I need a small breakfast to get going, other days I don't like today. Ill likely be hungry when the steak is ready

With Dr. Fung, suggesting people to do IF, I wonder how many are unable to do that and are falling off the diet? I don't think IF is good for everyone, certainly not for me. I was wondering also about the CAD. Is having carbs all in one meal healthy for the pancreas ? I just ate my 2nd meal, and I'm feeling dizzy. I'm getting my BP checked too today. It could possibly be the instant coffee I had at 7 am. I'm not sleeping well this past 2nd month on LC and I've read that insomnia means one needs to increase carbs.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 08:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've seen anecdotes of people sleeping better or worse on a more ketogenic approach. I seem to sleep better on a more ketogenic low carb approach vs. higher protein low carb. One thing I notice is that if I have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, on the more ketogenic approach I'll manage to drift back off to the sleep, where more often on the more liberal diet I'll have trouble getting back to sleep. This isn't particular to low carb for me, I always had trouble getting back to sleep on the SAD or when I was low fat dieting as well.

One thing I've noticed with fasting or going more ketogenic is a higher sensitivity to caffeine at least initially. I'll actually sort of spontaneously cut back because it makes me feel overstimulated at first.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I also found out now I'm sensitive to caffeine! I read a lot of people on keto and low carb are having the same issue! Now I have to switch to decaf or if that's still too much, I'll have to switch to herbal tea. I feel like a lab rat in this WOE.

I found this in an older thread:
Quote:
I was going through some old notes of mine, and came across the following quote. I don't recall where I got this quote from, but found it very thought provoking since I get apparent "hypoglycemic reactions" from strong doses of caffeine, yet have normal blood sugar levels when I test myself in the midst of such an episode.

Others on this board have also noted that caffeine does weird things to their brain, so I thought I'd share this little tid-bit.

"Caffeine causes constriction of blood vessels and decreased circulation to the brain, which causes a feeling of low blood sugar even when the value is within normal range. This false sense of low blood sugar can trigger a person to eat more food than needed leading them to high blood sugars and weight gain. You can take control of your appetite and decrease unnecessary high blood sugars by limiting your caffeine intake."

IDK if this is true, I drink lots of coffee and have never had this symptom but we are all different.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404702

Reading other older threads, many people thought that adding cream could keep this effect from happening because many thought it was the black coffee that did this.
Personally I have never attributed dizziness to coffee but I Always use cream..

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Aug-03-18 at 11:15.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I found this in an older thread:
IDK if this is true, I drink lots of coffee and have never had this symptom but we are all different.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=404702

Thanks. It could be age related with me and caffeine now. It is happening while I"m trying to be low carb, dizziness, spacy and it could be coincidental that its happening now. I also read about people having idiopathic postprandial syndrome
as a result of following a keto or low carb diet.. which is a psychological feeling of hypoglycemia all the time without actually having it. Kind of scary.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 11:08

BF:

I will say that as soon as I got the prescription strength Potassium, that's what made the difference for me, and believe me, it was bad. Just sitting in the car and feeling like I had spun around 30 times then stopped and we all know what that feels like.
I also learned a great deal about potassium deficiency when my 16yo granddaughter had it in the emergency room. I think I may have been deficient at different times in my life with memories of legs just giving out on the second flight of stairs in college at the age of 19 and I didn't know what it was and the doctor didn't either.
Well that's exactly what I read about and it even referenced going up stairs so yes, I think I've been deficient before or maybe always because who checks that randomly.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 11:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

From what I have been reading, we dont we the proper amounts of magnesium and potassium. Both.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 12:23

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
From what I have been reading, we dont we the proper amounts of magnesium and potassium. Both.

I agree.

Bluesinger once recommended ElectroMix and I like that one. https://www.amazon.com/Emergen-C-El...B002HWRY5S?th=1 Not much to it, except 408 mg of potassium. There are others with different ingredients. There are drops you can put in water, like Concentrace which is mostly magnesium. Works very fast if you have muscle cramps from low magnesium.

Low sodium V-8 juice, if you can handle the carbs - 6 net in the small can - has 700 mg of potassium.

I always take magnesium, but before I started paying attention to potassium, I was getting light headed and just exhausted when exercising.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 12:59

BF:

DR Berg talks about 6000mg a day for potassium. He recommends dark leafy greens.

Dr Amen mentions 80% of the world population is deficient in magnesium.

IMHO worth supplementing both.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 13:09

BF:

Now imagine that the average over-the-counter Potassium tab is 100mg.
6,000mg is up there for sure on the high end but and can you just imagine that you'd probably have to eat 10lbs of leafy greens to get that much.
Even with my prescription tab at 750mg it's probably not nearly enough, even with a normal amount leafy greens.
Imagine you would have to take 60 over-the-counter tabs to reach 6,000.

ps, I think I said imagine too many times

It must be the music...……….
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 13:19

BF:

spinich is 558mg potassium in 100 g serving.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 13:31

BF:

100g is about 3 1/2 oz for 558g pot.
So 6,000 divided by 558=10.75
10.75 x 3.5oz = 37.63oz divided by 16 =2.35lbs of spinach....Is that right?

Some meds also deplete the body of Pot, as was the case with my GD, we believe.