Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 21:11

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Are you thinking of Benedict's solution, which is used to test for simple sugars, such as glucose? It is a clear blue solution of sodium and copper salts. In the presence of simple sugars, the blue solution changes color to green, yellow, and brick-red, depending on the amount of sugar. We want it to stay blue.

This sounds like it. Doc said to treat and spit until the test tube stays blue.

ANd thought on where to find this??
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 21:17

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
One claim is that the enamal will be sanded away by the baking soda. Do you think the CO reduces the abrasiveness of the b.soda??
I think eroding enamel may be a myth perpetrated by toothpaste manufacturers, since baking soda dissolves in water. Toothpaste is also abrasive - my dentist told me never to use it on my plastic nightguard because it is too abrasive for plastic, at least. I'd be more worried about using clay, which typically contains fine particles of silica which are harder than teeth. My aunt used baking powder her whole life, never had a cavity, and had all her own teeth when she died at 88.

Benedict's solution is sold at chemical supply stores and on Amazon

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jun-20-18 at 21:24.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 21:29
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Cured gingivitis and stopped all staining. It's in my dental records for the last year and a half. My regular hygienist was amazed at the result. I may be able to only go in twice a year now instead of every four months. Low-carb didn't do it, but kefir (for healthy oral microbiome) and brushing with "Heal thy Mouth" essential oil blend has. Not sure which is responsible, but ill keep doing both. Tried "oil pulling" didn't help. Dr. Axe talks about Manuka Honey for gum health, that extract is one of the ingredients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3220139/

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Jun-20-18 at 21:37.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 21:44

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I, also, have been brushing with a coconut oil/baking soda/bentonite clay mixture going on almost 4 years now. I also add diatomaceous earth, cinnamon, organic bone meal and xylitol.
As opposed to wearing my enamel down, I am seeing signs of remineralization happening. I had typical receding gums of a mid 50 yr.old and that is most certainly reversing. And, yes, definitely a whitening effect as well.
No studies to offer, just n=1.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 22:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I like Toms toothpaste, Peppermint and it's Fluoride-Free.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 04:46

BF:

lol, Ive been thinking of TOMS's from Maine, of course!!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 10:30

BF:

Yes Tom's of Maine.
After I read about some of the bad chemicals in toothpaste as well as Fluoride, I decided to switch a few years ago.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 12:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I think eroding enamel may be a myth perpetrated by toothpaste manufacturers, since baking soda dissolves in water. Toothpaste is also abrasive - my dentist told me never to use it on my plastic nightguard because it is too abrasive for plastic, at least. I'd be more worried about using clay, which typically contains fine particles of silica which are harder than teeth. My aunt used baking powder her whole life, never had a cavity, and had all her own teeth when she died at 88.

Benedict's solution is sold at chemical supply stores and on Amazon

The gritty paste the hygenist uses is like sand!! lol

Though I do find the baking soda abrasive as it is not disolved in water, and I do like that it removes film on the teeth, if any has developed.

My goal is to have all my own teeth too when I am laid to rest. WOrking on it!!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 12:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Cured gingivitis and stopped all staining. It's in my dental records for the last year and a half. My regular hygienist was amazed at the result. I may be able to only go in twice a year now instead of every four months. Low-carb didn't do it, but kefir (for healthy oral microbiome) and brushing with "Heal thy Mouth" essential oil blend has. Not sure which is responsible, but ill keep doing both. Tried "oil pulling" didn't help. Dr. Axe talks about Manuka Honey for gum health, that extract is one of the ingredients.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3220139/

Do you have a source you recommend to buy the Heal thy Mouth?

Im disappointed the low carb diet is not enough for teeth health. FOrtunately my kids like the kefir, but that seems to have a surprizing carb count when I expected something more like a hard cheese carb count. But hey, if it works despite the few carbs, great , we will drink it.

How much did you drink? And how often?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 13:37

BF:

I use regular toothpaste with an old toothbrush to clean a silver necklace and it does a really good job
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 13:43

BF:

#42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got a water flosser and I swear it is the best thing ever. After brushing my teeth for 2 minutes with a good electric toothbrush, I still get gunk out using the water flosser. Better even than string flossing.

I don't want to end up like my carb-eating sister with dentures at age 77. Ugh, the process of getting dentures is really nasty.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 13:55

BF:

Yes, getting dentures is nasty.

I have met far too many people with far too many missing teeth.

Unfortunately they all depend on community dinners and breakfasts------SAD meals laden with carbs. SAD. so SAD.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 21:51
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Do you have a source you recommend to buy the Heal thy Mouth?
I just ordered 2 more bottles (original) from Amazon. Orawellness may be a bit cheaper? I brush with 3-4 drops on a dry brush every morning after my usual brushing and flossing routine of Water-Pik, Sonicare or a Spin-brush.

The kefir I use is made from grains. I only use about 1/4 cup a day, often before bed and don't brush after.
In theory it 'colonizes' the mouth with good bacteria crowding out the bad. Nothing can grow in kefir except kefir

Hopefully no more expensive appointments for a "deep cleaning, scaling plus a few ARESTIN® GUM injections"

Will be interesting to see what the Dr. says when I see him in August for my annual exam.

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jun-21-18 at 22:10.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 05:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I just ordered 2 more bottles (original) from Amazon. Orawellness may be a bit cheaper? I brush with 3-4 drops on a dry brush every morning after my usual brushing and flossing routine of Water-Pik, Sonicare or a Spin-brush.

The kefir I use is made from grains. I only use about 1/4 cup a day, often before bed and don't brush after.
In theory it 'colonizes' the mouth with good bacteria crowding out the bad. Nothing can grow in kefir except kefir

Hopefully no more expensive appointments for a "deep cleaning, scaling plus a few ARESTIN® GUM injections"

Will be interesting to see what the Dr. says when I see him in August for my annual exam.

Your use of the kefir is the method I was hoping to hear-- it was how I thought the kefir is best used.

Orawellness may be a bit cheaper? You dont use this brand??