Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-18, 01:26

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Finally finished reading Zoe's comment myself, and would gladly do so again. That was awesome. So much win.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-18, 05:06

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

We are getting down to the wire to submit our comments on the Dietary Guidelines.

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/2...ary-guidelines/
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 13:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

It looks like the final tally of comments is in. I've been poking my nose in reading lots of comments throughout the past few weeks just to see what the various steak holders had to say. It is an interesting mix and I was glad to see that the low carb advocates were well represented.

Quite a few food industry submissions came in on the final days. Some didn't surprise me. General mills' comment related to low carb was that they were not in support of diets that "eliminated entire food groups such as grains." No surprise there. But I thought that the dairy industry might latch on to the low carb bandwagon as full fat dairy is a mainstay for many, if not most, low carb eaters. But here is a snip-it from one of the Dairy industry's comment submission...

Quote:
Sweetened dairy products, such as flavored milk or yogurt, can provide significant nutritional benefits and the moderate levels of added sugars in these products could encourage Americans to eat more nutrient-dense foods. Added sugars in a nutrient-dense food, such as flavored dairy products, will have a very different impact on diet and health than a product that does not contain a wide range of nutrients.

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5805

And here I'd hoped that there might be more offerings of full fat, "no added sugar" yogurt in the dairy isle. But NO, they did a double down on justifying the sugar content of their products. I'm disappointed.

The US Cattlemans Association comment did not mention the question of low carb, but did chime in on the need for sound science.

Quote:
USCA looks forward to participating in the discussions that will shape the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines. USCA will support guidelines that are committed to following sound science and best available research, not political ideals and philosophies.

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5727

The North American Meat Institute comment didn't really hop onto the LC bandwagon with their submission either, but they did pick up on the saturated fat issue...

Quote:
What is the relationship between saturated fats consumption (types and amounts) during adulthood and risk of cardiovascular disease?

Evaluating the relationship between saturated fats consumption during adulthood and risk of cardiovascular disease is very important. There is a growing body of evidence demonstrating that saturated fats may not be as harmful to humans as previously believed, calling previously “settled science” into question. It is important that all scientific evidence is reviewed to provide meaningful guidance to the American population.

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5876

You'd think that the food industries that would benefit from a dietary shift away from the low fat/high carb diet would embrace the low carb topic with a little more vigor. These are just a few industry posts that I ran across. There was nothing too surprising in any of them.

FYI: Here are the submissions of some of the big name low carb advocates that I ran across...

Nina Teicholz

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5935

Dr. Sarah Hallberg

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5804
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:10

BF:

Nice summary Ken. I have to say it feels pretty good to have our own comments sitting alongside those of low carb luminaries like Nina, Sarah and Zoe. Will be interesting to see what comes out of all this... fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I've been poking my nose in reading lots of comments throughout the past few weeks just to see what the various steak holders had to say.

I see what you did there.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 14:15

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Like Ken, I too have been doing quite a bit of reading thru the comments.

Came across the comment from the American Heart Association

https://www.regulations.gov/documen...-2018-0005-5872

and was amazed to see that, except for an in-passing comment about fruits and vegetables being "naturally low in saturated fats" the American Heart Association makes no recommendations or references at all to fats! After reading the comment, I went back and did a search for the word "fat" because I was sure I must have over-looked something. The AHA's comment also don't mention meat or protein anywhere.

Given that, for thirty-plus years, the AHA has probably been the single heath-organization most strongly beating the drum for "low-fat, low-fat, low-fat" and "meat BAD, meat BAD, meat BAD" it strikes me that their silence speaks volumes.

Last edited by bevangel : Sat, Apr-07-18 at 21:25.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-18, 05:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Excellent Op-Ed by Dr Sarah Hallberg in The Hill:

The headline speaks for itself:

The Hill: Government dietary guidelines are plain wrong: Avoid carbs, not fat

Dr. Sarah Hallberg makes a strong case for reform of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans in her compelling op-ed just published in The Hill, a popular newspaper and website covering public policy and politics from Washington, D.C.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/op-ed-in...n-carbs-and-fat
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 10:28

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

FINALLY!!!!
At last there is growing support for a change in the guidelines
At last people are reading the research for themselves and finding the flaws in the Guidelines
This is good news!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 05:52

Next Step!

Great letter to Sonny Purdue. Copy, write your own, whatever but let them know we want better guidelines.

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/n...5g92mazqc6d2s49

Quote:
Secretary Perdue: Your Leadership Urgently Needed on Advisory Committee for Next Dietary Guidelines

By Dr. Dawn Lemanne, Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, and Dr. Jake Kushner

We have written an urgent letter to Sonny Perdue, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and we hope that you will consider joining us.

In just the next few weeks (should the government re-open), USDA will face a decision that will have a greater impact on health in America than most people can imagine: this agency will choose the Advisory Committee for the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines. This small group of 13-15 people will determine the healthy diet recommendations for the entire country, for years to come.

Dietary Guidelines are Super Powerful

The guidelines are surprisingly powerful: They drive choices for school lunches, feeding programs for the elderly, hospital food and military rations, as well as influencing the advice dispensed by doctors, nurses, dieticians and nutritionists. If the guidelines are off or downright wrong, the potential impact on our epidemics of obesity, diabetes and neurological diseases is devastating.

Last committee largely favored vegetarianism

The last committee in 2015 did not include a balanced set of opinions; in fact, (11 out of 14, or nearly 80%) had consistently published work in favor of plant-based, low-animal-fat, vegetarian diets.

Guidelines are high-carb for all and not science-based

The current Guidelines require 6-10 servings of grains per day (or 50-55% of calories as carbohydrates)…for all Americans. They fail to reach nutritional sufficiency goals on key nutrients, and they recommend only low-fat dairy and lean meat.

Change will not happen without a committee that is genuinely balanced in viewpoints, with experts who won’t simply rubber-stamp the status quo.

We know that high-quality, non-mainstream experts have been nominated, and we fear that vested interests will keep them off the committee.
Take Action Now

See our letter below. If you agree, you can cut-and-paste, rewrite, or write your own. Send it to: Sonny.perdue~usda.gov. If you like, cc or b-cc info~nutritioncoalition.us since the group has offered to keep track of submissions.

This is our best chance for improving health in America. We hope you will consider joining us.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 05:16

https://www.dietdoctor.com/boring-b...tary-guidelines

Boring but important: Help change the dietary guidelines!

I took this letter, gave it a new beginning so it didn’t look like a form letter, added a few sentences about my story, tightened up some sentences with an emphasis on traditional foods. Sonny is from a Georgia farming family, got his Vet degree, practiced in NC (likely edibles not petables) so hoping that he has stronger ties to beef, egg and dairy producers than cargill.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 11:14

This Guideline Committee has been announced, list here: https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietary-guidelines#2020DGAC

Quote:
The Secretaries of Agriculture and Health and Human Services announced the new, 20-member advisory committee for the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. This expert group that will evaluate the science underpinning our dietary guidelines is more diverse that previous committees. It includes Dr. Lydia Bazzano, a Tulane University MD PhD who was the lead investigator on a 2014 NIH-funded low-carb diet trial. The group also includes and Dr. Joan Sabaté, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology and Seventh-Day Adventist, which is a faith with religious dictums that include vegetarianism. Here’s Agri-Pulse’s take on the new panel.
from DietDoctor, https://www.dietdoctor.com/a-star-o...ritos-towel-bag

From the Washington Post: Did the government’s dietary guidelines help make us fat?
Conclusion:
Quote:
As to the original question, I’ve got to say no, the guidelines did not make us fat. I’d go so far as to say that low-carb advocates might have an easier time persuading skeptics if they didn’t make that kind of unreasonable claim. But reducing carbohydrate intake seems like a perfectly healthful way to eat, and it has helped a lot of people lose weight and manage disease. It deserves a good, hard look.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m=.8760cb6bc9ea

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-01-19 at 11:22.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 17:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Jean, I agree. Big Pharma, Big Food and Big Medicine may SAY they want us healthy, but does anybody believe them?

Change, however, is happening. The Coca Cola Company has been forced to diversify because young people have cut back so much on fizzy drinks. The young are smarter and better informed than some of us codgers. There will soon be an alcoholic Coke drink available in Japan, made with locally sourced booze.

We are the proof that our WOE promotes better health. Someday, hopefully soon, the world at large will catch up. We are what the tech world used to call Early Adopters.
There are already cannabis drinks coming out, healthier than alcohol, same basic effects, available in Canada and some states in the US where it's legal already.

As far as the "Guidelines" go, well it's very satisfying to vent!

As far as cell biology goes I know eukaryotic cells could not live or respirate without the mitochondria they incorporated eons ago; these, the so called "powerhouse of the cell" can produce ATP energy from both glycolysis and ketone oxidation, but the latter is far more effective

This fact has implications for low-carb: avoiding cancer, an increase in health span and slowing of aging as demonstrated in animal models.

~khrussva : your testimonial surely fits many of us to a tee -- it's a pity more people have closed their minds and can't see thru all the diet 'noise' that's out there

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Mar-01-19 at 17:42.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-19, 15:20

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

~khrussva and mike_d, it truly is a pitty, I am a heart transplant of 7 years, I was on statin and it was causing my some issue's. I was told it was to help but now I am off, doing Low carb, exercise, and 19-20 hour fast have me feeling so great. My blood test come back great each time.

When They saw me after a year one time they had to pick their jaws up off the ground with the weight I lost. They asked me a heart transplant of their team what I was doing, I told them and they where worried about my cholesterol cause Of what I was doing and wanted me on a statin. BTW this is a top hospital team in the country, and they told me to keep it up.

No lecture about eating SAD way. They even said they should be doing the same. Boom they know whats up. For hospital reasons they really cannot say they want me to do this cause there is a very thin line if they told someone and the had complications.

Funny thing is after I had my transplant they were like once your better go out and have fun eat the foods you love moderately, all the stuff the SAD diet people say. It got my weight back high again. Now it is going back down and will get to my 203 goal.

I do miss the person that did my surgery, he was the guy that put my heart in, He saw that I had cookies and fries on my plate in the hospital after being transplanted, he took my cookies and put my fries in the trash and told me that I need to take care of my body and new heart. I now live LCHF life.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-19, 21:04

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
I now live LCHF life.

Keep enjoying life!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 09:43

Sigh. A more extensive look into the backgrounds and COI of new committee:
https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/n...lines-committee
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 13:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sigh. A more extensive look into the backgrounds and COI of new committee:
https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/n...lines-committee

Yeah, the more I read about them, the more disappointed I get.

The new committee may be more of a mixed bag, but the size of the bag has also grown through that diversity. I'm sensing that with potentially too many cooks here, not much will end up changing. Would love to be proven wrong, though.