Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Valentines Day and Your Birthday

How do you handle these days?

I figured Valentines Day is easy unless someone gives me a sweets. So what do I do if they do? When I have sugar in my hand and a feeling of guilt about someone being so kind it weighs on me. All my friends are at normal weights and from other countries where people gift each other home made treats.

For my b-day a month later I had assumed there was a fish burrito in my future. I grew up 20 miles from Mexico and I've given up a lot of the Mexican foods I grew up with.

I figured a way to make a delicious LC fish burrito - those tortillas (gluten free and 10 netcarbs for 3). But should I replace a high carb with a low carb food at a level I'm not at?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 20:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I can't say anything about Valentine's Day. My DH is European, and believes (and I happen to agree with him) that V.Day is a non-event, invented by Hallmark & the candy companies. We've also been married close to 45 years, so we don't worry too much about it. But I can see how it could be a problem from the people around one, and hope someone else can offer you support and advice. As to my birthday ... it is MY birthday, therefore what I say goes. It is also only once a year. In my case, it falls right in the middle of the end of year holidays, one week before Christmas. My birthday dinner wish, for as long as I have been able to articulate (a long time; see the marriage stats above) has been roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Roast beef is perfectly low carb; Yorkshire pudding isn't. Rather than try for some low carb approximation (not that I've found one) I just make what I have always made (and my mother before me), and eat a reasonable portion, and move on the next day. In the old carb-y days I could have eaten the whole pan, and sometimes did. Now I find that a small portion is quite enough. I eat, savor, enjoy ... and let the non low carbers at table finish the pan. Quite amazing, actually. Depending on where you are on your journey I would make the suggestion that a fish burrito, in the great scheme of things, will not cause a great deal of harm, and give you some pleasure ... as long as you can keep the portion under control, and can return to to your regular low carb eating the next day. If you don't feel capable of that yet, then I would skip the burrito this year, and look forward to possibly enjoying it next year. Remember, a birthday is only once a year (thank goodness!), and a burrito - but NOT a piece of cake too! - is/can be just a minor blip.
PS - I understand about the people around one, and their sweet (in both meanings of the word) gifts; my SIL is from Korea, and we also have a number of Japanese friends.
Stay strong, but remember to live.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 00:26
Registered Member

Verbana you have such a great balance in life. I remember somewhere Dr. Atkins saying chocolate once a year on your birthday was understandable. I'm sure burritos are okay by that standard too! I'm not sure what Yorkshire pudding is but it must be a pretty rockin great treat!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 00:49
Registered Member

Burrito but the LC non-gluten version. Got my head back on straight.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 11:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Verbana you have such a great balance in life. I remember somewhere Dr. Atkins saying chocolate once a year on your birthday was understandable. I'm sure burritos are okay by that standard too! I'm not sure what Yorkshire pudding is but it must be a pretty rockin great treat!

Actually, looked at quite objectively, Yorkshire pudding isn't much at all. But I still tend to see it, and eat it, from a 3 year old's perspective :-). It is another one of the peasant filler dishes, meant to stretch the meal. Basically just a form of baked pancake - think Dutch Baby, but not sweet, and baked in the drippings from the beef. If done properly it is mostly air, surrounded by eggy, buttery batter, tasting of beef dripping. Doesn't actually sound very appetizing when put that way, does it?
Enjoy your burrito - truly ENJOY it. Savor every bite. But then move on.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 13:57
Registered Member

Yorkshire Pudding sounds delicious - butter flavored anything with beef drippings.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 14:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 303.8/273.6/145.0 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:50.1%/48.1%/24.1%
Progress: 19%

(Posting here for others with the upcoming holiday in mind.)

A timely thread! My BD is right around Valentine's Day and I've been pondering my plan of action. Most of my immediate family knows to buy me DARK chocolate (usually lower in carbs), though my mom continues do otherwise. If she does again this year, I'll either give it to DH, bring it here to the office, or donate it.

My BD OTOH, will be interesting. I'm headed out of state for a milestone celebration. It will take severe concentration to remain on plan while at restaurants, bars, etc. Most of my friends are healthy (one does hot yoga, one has competed in body building competitions, one does Jazzercize, etc.), so they'll understand my quest.

Good job on the burrito choice!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 14:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotthis
(Posting here for others with the upcoming holiday in mind.)

A timely thread! My BD is right around Valentine's Day and I've been pondering my plan of action. Most of my immediate family knows to buy me DARK chocolate (usually lower in carbs), though my mom continues do otherwise. If she does again this year, I'll either give it to DH, bring it here to the office, or donate it.

My BD OTOH, will be interesting. I'm headed out of state for a milestone celebration. It will take severe concentration to remain on plan while at restaurants, bars, etc. Most of my friends are healthy (one does hot yoga, one has competed in body building competitions, one does Jazzercize, etc.), so they'll understand my quest.

Good job on the burrito choice!

That made me laugh your mom of all people. I guess if we get the mindset that we're not eating our problem foods, this time next year should be a lot easier.

Last semester I was so stressed out I bought and ate an entire 1lb box of chocolates. The empty box is hidden in my closet, I'm too embarressed for someone to see it in the trash. Haven't had the slightest desire to eat chocolate since then!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 14:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Just say "no".

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 15:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Just say "no".

Jean

I love it!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/122/113 Female 62 "
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am planing to celebrate at a steak house and have steak and lobster with no side dishes and a small salad.
I also find it easy to have cheese board for desert. This way there is 0 guilt.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 11:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Like Verbena, we don't celebrate invented Hallmark/candy moments.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I am a believer in learning moderation along the way. For my bday we were on vacation out of state . The whole trip my only nonlow carb treat was half a serving of icecream on my bday. I believe if i am this for life I personally need to learn how to have a treat and move on with out it derailing me. For vday I plan on having cl cheesecake.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 14:11

Plan: hybrid-Atkins/S. Beach
Stats: 206/198/170 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 22%

I don't really care that much about Valentines Day but my husband usually makes me dinner that night (and he rarely cooks). Last year I requested avocados and chorizo and the few years before that it was a grilled steak, mushrooms and asparagus. On my b-day I usually plan a sugar free treat. I have a few recipes I like or a grocery store around me makes small sugar free cheesecakes that portion themselves due to sugar alcohols. I work with a lot of kids and get a lot of sweets around every holiday. I thank them, hug them, appreciate the treat and then give it away. You don't have to eat it just cause someone gave it to you. I'd never throw it away though, just pass it on.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-18, 15:23

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

I would say to loved one/ friends is i can't eat sugar but I LOVE FLOWERS!! Even just one!!