Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 22:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Meetow, I literally searched your journal three times and I couldn't see where you said anything was boring...but anyway if you did, that's your prerogative since it's your journal and everybody writes what they want without criticism.

From some of what you wrote about eating and cooking and the giving up of carbs and alcohol, it makes me wonder if you have checked into eating more Atkins style since it has the ability to satisfy with the replacement of carbs with fat. Fat is very satiating and there is so much to read on that but it does make life more pleasurable to add butter in vegetables, bacon or sausage with whole eggs, cheese, whole cream, whole yoghurt, whole cottage cheese, cream sauces with no thickeners etc... I find it so much more easy to just count carbs choosing from a long list with carb counts and not thinking about anything else.

You will do great, just keep reading!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 03:59

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Morning, Please don't take my comments wrong, I was not being critical...it is your journey and you can say what ever you want...

I understand that you have made a choice and you are asking a lot of yourself to change eating habits as well as give up alcohol. I commend you for this choice, and I truly do wish you well on this journey. I think as Janet has said, if you take your time, look around this site, you will find tons of support and valuable info. Because we don't know your stats, and that id fine, I always said, I don't care if you have 20 pounds or 200 pounds to lose, it all went on the same way, and it will come off the same way...one pound at a time. This is not a race, it is a learning experience, it is a change to a new lifestyle, one day at a time. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being critical.....Best of Luck to you

Have a positive day, ttyl
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Meetow Kim -

If you are looking for more interesting low carb recipes there is a guy named George Stella who is a professional chef. He has several low carb cookbooks available through Amazon or Barnes and Noble. He and his family have lost 550 pounds on a low carb diet and kept it off for many years. Check him out.

Ken
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-18, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I get what your going threw with the cooking. I love baking and almost everthing involved in baking I had a lot of trouble giving up that hobby. I mourned not only the loss of great food but the loss of a hobby I love love love. I went threw being angry, resentful, sad. Rinse and repeat for a year and I have finally come to terms with the situation. With the type of cooking you enjoy you should be able to find workarounds for a lot of what you enjoy. My brother and his wife did southbeach years ago and kept the weight off . I find it more complicated than I want to deal with so chose atkins and general low carb. I had a 12 can a day coke habit for 30 plus years that I had to give up and it was extremely hard as well. I still have cravings and its been a year.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-18, 13:30

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi, how goes the battle? Just wanted to touch on something you said about the site not being secure? I admit that I am a computer idiot, however, my bro is a genius, I asked him if I was putting myself or my computer at risk using this site? Here is his response...

Sis, Recently Chrome updated their definition of secure/not secure connection to websites with the net result that the Not Secure flag might be shown for some web sites. That doesn't mean the web site is dangerous, it just doesn't meet Chrome's updated secure connection definition. Your antivirus program will take care of any real security issues.

That makes me feel better, I hope it helps. Best of Luck to you, have a positive day, ttyl
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 08:59

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Update

That's was weird. When I looked at this thread today and started my comment below, none of the recent replies were there. Then when I posted this, BAM there they were. I've had some issues with my browser like that...maybe its a "cookie" thing...even though I try not to say that word now!

After I edit this, I'll respond to anything not covered in whats below. Thanks for the replies all!

I have entered my correct weight stats now.

My wife has decided to join me in a weight loss effort (which of course is also a better nutritional health effort). She has chosen the no added sugar diet (I need to look around here to see if this forum includes that) which has many very similar features of South beach/Atkins, so we are able to team up on many groceries, although her focus is more on added sugars and natural sugars vs. fiber, where as mine is a stronger focus on carbs vs.fiber and no added sugar as well as watching out for high sugar/carb vegetables and fruits. But still very similar.

I may shift over to that diet at some point so we can be more in sync since they are so similar. Her's being a little more lenient on carbs and natural sweet vegetables, etc.. Since I dont have a strong need for sweets, not using ANY artificial sweeteners in the no added sugar diet will be easy for me. But for now I'm experimenting with a couple artificial sweeteners...just because I like a challenge and I have always disliked (avoiding using the word "hate" to avoid word sensitivities) artificial sweeteners except Sorbitol which of course is not low carb! Once I'm done playing around with the sweetener thing and likely fail at any that actually taste good for me, I may shift to her diet...she actually bought the book and her two sisters have had really good results which makes genetic sense. I'm a free-form guy who doesn't like to stay in lanes so all of it is hard for me! I dont even like banks and amusement parks because I dont like being treated like cattle between the crowd control ropes and chains!

I'm on 12th day of induction. I'm sure I have gone under and over the carb count here and there. I am not going to use a calculator and notes and charts...I know that means I cant blame a diet plan, its on me if its not perfect, but its a tremendous improvement from my previous dietary life.

I lost 10 lbs in 8 days at first, then stalled for at least two days. I wont weigh again until later today to see if that stall broke. I'm sticking with it as a lifestyle though. I want to lose that 50lbs, and I'm a very goal oriented guy once I get my mind on something.

To all the new dieters...Congratulations on making that healthy choice! I already feel better in the sense that I can tie my shoes easier and dont feel so disgustingly bloated, but I'm not going to lie, its really hard at first, and I have been fighting a headache almost the whole time. That will probably get better as I can introduce some good grains and fruit carbs here in a few days.

There ARE "Non-Boring" food choices, but at first, if you haven't planned well like me, it can be really hard and almost a sense of panic about what you are going to eat. That subsides and gives way to a discovery and excitement of what you CAN eat. But for the most part, say goodbye to many of the old classics we have known all our life...they just have to be gone except maybe a rare splurge AFTER you lose your weight...but avoid that impulse if you can.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Jan-13-18 at 09:08.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being critical.....Best of Luck to you

Have a positive day, ttyl

Zoogirl, my biggest concern was offending anyone, even though I cant carry the bags of hammers of others. I have had situations on other forums for other things, that got weird. In some forums there are patriarch/matriarch situations where my enthusiastic wording rubs the elites of the sites the wrong way. Like "who is this jerk coming in here being all prolific like he's been here for years like me". I've had to leave sites over that. It's a shame because one was a sobriety forum...and the leaders aggravated me so much, I left...which is a failure of the goal of the site!

I really appreciate you clarifying, and please except my apology if I seemed a bit "prickly". Now you know why.

Kdc01, Thanks! I’ll give those a look, especially if they are in my local library. I’m bad about buying books. I’m very literate, but not a book reader so I buy them and they end up gathering dust after a few chapters. Even most recipe books because I’m a web-then-make it my own recipe type. Tweaking stuff to my taste and experience. For instance, a huge misnomer in a lot of recipes is when they tell you to start with garlic in oil, then onions...and so on. Garlic gets bitter when cooked too long in a frying pan and this is why a lot of people say they don’t like garlic…what they really don’t like is burnt or overcooked garlic! Most pro chefs will tell you to add the garlic at the end of a sauté, cook for a minute or so max, then add liquids or proceed with the recipe. But old habits die hard, I still see some on TV doing the old mistake, one exception is some Asian food…the burnt or browned garlic is an integral part of the flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
I get what your going threw with the cooking. I love baking and almost everthing involved in baking I had a lot of trouble giving up that hobby. I mourned not only the loss of great food but the loss of a hobby I love love love. I went threw being angry, resentful, sad. Rinse and repeat for a year and I have finally come to terms with the situation. With the type of cooking you enjoy you should be able to find workarounds for a lot of what you enjoy. My brother and his wife did southbeach years ago and kept the weight off . I find it more complicated than I want to deal with so chose atkins and general low carb. I had a 12 can a day coke habit for 30 plus years that I had to give up and it was extremely hard as well. I still have cravings and its been a year.

Wow, 12 cans of Coke a day...that's in the same league of my drinking when I'm fully saturated. I can drink 3/4 of a fifth (750ml) of liquor a night easily and that's not even counting a beer or wine earlier in the day or combined with dinner. I can knock down two double martinis in a half hour and be looking for more...and that's before wine with dinner and bourbon after dinner till I fall asleep (pass out?). I've found that I never want to live without drinking totally, so detoxing is the only way I can survive. But the weight loss issue may just be the trick for me to curtail me from slipping back in to total saturation mode with booze. If I lose the weight I want, I'm going to be very protective of that and hopefully get mad at booze when it adds weight back on...like I got mad a Phillip Morris when I stopped smoking...I resented the hold their product had on me. I pride myself on Independence, so addiction is a real personal failure to me.

Baking is hard to give up. That's my wife, especially around the holidays. She has piles of cookies, etc.. For me, I had just begun dabbling in my favorites...yeast breads. I am also a freak for Naan and crusty artisanal breads. There may be some whole grain options down the road we can splurge on. When shopping the other day we scored some protein bread that was on the discount rack. The numbers for both sugars and carbs are phenomenal (if true). If its anything close to bread in taste and texture it will be a party in our mouths! The loaves went in the freezer since we are both not past induction. I'm going to wait on her even though my induction 14 days ends after tomorrow...I'm going to stay close to induction until she gets there with the no-sugar diet, and then we'll sync up.

And yes, my cooking and experience will pay big dividends and already has. I do almost all kinds of application cooking as far as methods including deep frying, and like most men, grilling, but I actually do less and less grilling preferring the cast iron griddle for things I used to grill like hamburgers...you just can’t beat a burger properly flat griddled. We can have that still...just not the bun...

I have been smoking meats for a few years now too, to good success. I've cut down on store bought lunch-meats doing stuff like my own smoked turkey breasts and slicing and freezing packs. I've been looking at doing my own bacon and now is the perfect time. I can eliminate sugar for instance. An Asian store in the city we live near has a great price on pork belly all the time...that will be fun.

I've also started grinding much of my own meat and making my own sausage...unless the deal at the store is too good to pass up. (I'm also a serious coupon/bargain shopper). My breakfast sausage recipe has stopped me form buying any, except for use in recipes...mine is too good to blend with anything. I do my own Italian sausage too, and will be looking at brats as well...and, yes, I also stuff my own sausage in to links...which leads right back to the smoker sometimes! ALL low carb and I can control the ingredients and keep all sugar out! The sad thing is...I have a deep love for Boudin...the real Cajun style, and I have almost perfected it at home...but alas...its white rice heavy...not low carb.

Can you tell I love to talk about cooking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
Hi, how goes the battle? Just wanted to touch on something you said about the site not being secure? I admit that I am a computer idiot, however, my bro is a genius, I asked him if I was putting myself or my computer at risk using this site? Here is his response...

Sis, Recently Chrome updated their definition of secure/not secure connection to websites with the net result that the Not Secure flag might be shown for some web sites. That doesn't mean the web site is dangerous, it just doesn't meet Chrome's updated secure connection definition. Your antivirus program will take care of any real security issues.

That makes me feel better, I hope it helps. Best of Luck to you, have a positive day, ttyl

See my previous post on the battle update

Yes, he is Correct. I refuse to use anything "Google" unless I have to, but this does apply to others. I use Firefox and the Duck Duck Go search engine. I have "political" issues with Google and don’t trust them. They have just been exposed...again...tweaking results to political leans. I don’t like leaning either way.

I do try to practice the "don’t say anything online you wouldn't say in public" rule. Being the person you are all the time no matter what is a simpler life. What you read of me here is exactly how I am in real life...except I use very vulgar language quite a bit. It's a product of me being a huge fan of standup comedy since age 12, and I'm anti-censorship...AND "mommy told me sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me!". I curtail my language in mixed company however very well, you would never know...

My biggest concern about online and sites like this is the personal info we volunteer. We are tracked everywhere, facial recognition in the store cameras tied with your checkout info...those store cards we have to use for sale prices? They know what you like and what you do and what you are about to do. At some point we will reach the "singularity"...like "1984" or the Hunger Games. But for now I'm inherently cautious and don’t volunteer too much direct personal info, especially photos. I left Facebook in 2012 for related reasons. With my "open book" style, I was bound to get myself in trouble and Facebook had already ruined my opinion of most of my friends and family anyway! I also hated when people tagged me…that’s the fast track to the singularity. (I mean our part of what artificial intelligence knows about us in the singularity...for now its all algorithms...the singularity is when the computers think for themselves and learn on their own)

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Jan-13-18 at 11:08.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 16:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Hi Meetow, I literally searched your journal three times and I couldn't see where you said anything was boring...but anyway if you did, that's your prerogative since it's your journal and everybody writes what they want without criticism.

From some of what you wrote about eating and cooking and the giving up of carbs and alcohol, it makes me wonder if you have checked into eating more Atkins style since it has the ability to satisfy with the replacement of carbs with fat. Fat is very satiating and there is so much to read on that but it does make life more pleasurable to add butter in vegetables, bacon or sausage with whole eggs, cheese, whole cream, whole yoghurt, whole cottage cheese, cream sauces with no thickeners etc... I find it so much more easy to just count carbs choosing from a long list with carb counts and not thinking about anything else.

You will do great, just keep reading!

Thanks Meme...I am such a dummy, I was wondering why I didn't see those other posts...there's a page 2 now! And I missed this post.

You are spot on and that's exactly what I have shifted to. Not going overboard, but adding those meat fats and a little dairy. I am not by any means going hungry, and that was why I chose this route.

TO EVERYBODY:

MY STALL BROKE! Which means that freeze at 215 ended, I'm down to 212 now!

Go Meetow Kim...you go boy!

That's 13 lbs in 13 days of Induction...just as the diets promised.

I went out to saw and split some wood for this next cold blast coming and I felt sprightly today. That was before I showered and weighed. Now I know why.

Awesome...
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 17:45

BF:

Wow 13 pounds in 13 days!!!

#25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-18, 16:41

BF:
Default How did I gain weight!?

Welp...I had lost 14, and gained 2 back.

I haven't even eaten much of the phase 2 allowed foods (I'm at three weeks now). I actually cut out my half a can of V8 I was drinking every morning for my vegetables to drop those carbs. I had started eating 1/4 cup of blackberries but quit those...(I think I have intestinal issue with those).

There really hasn't been much change in my diet except I was actually eating less as a reaction to my stall at 14lbs.

I suppose I should go back to the V8 and start eating more, especially vegetables which is not easy for me. But that was the last time I was really losing weight!

I told myself not to get my hopes too high and the fast weight loss would probably stop. I'm not freaking out, but its a bit demoralizing. I'm still down 12lbs in three weeks from start. I better not gain it all back while depriving myself of so many things I was doing before I started...that would be a problem, and a clear sign I'm on the wrong diet.

#26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 05:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.

What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.

For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation.

And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

And, as mentioned before, waist circumference is a better marker for health than weight, especially for men. https://www.dietdoctor.com/simple-w...lth-measurement
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 11:14

BF:

Thanks Jey...or is it Janet?

I was thinking fluid retention. My wife experienced the same thing, she stalled at 10lbs lost on the No Sugar diet and stayed there...so far.

I stalled again at 13lbs in 13 days, then a few days later dropped 1 more. Then a few days later the jump.

I think your advice is solid and well informed. I had begun to figure on simply not checking weight as much, I'd rather not stress it. If I know I'm eating well...all the right things and none of the wrong things, I'm doing the right thing.

I'm going to ease a few more carbs in even though I hit this bump in the road. Starting with small amounts of fruit. Maybe a slice of protein whole grain bread someday...the stuff we have is phenomenally low in carbs and no added sugar. I've been still eating really close to induction foods only and just past the third week now.

I'll also start looking at the waist size calculation. Before I weighed last, I took a look and thought, hey that's looking better! And right before that I had gone outside to wheelbarrow some firewood up to the house (doing it manually these days for the exorcise) and the "woods work scrappy belt" I have been using is from my less fat days, I had been pushing it to just get the last hole to catch for a long time. I had to tighten it to the second hole yesterday! That's the kind of progress and feedback/reality you and that article are referring to. A BIG change already...I had embarrassingly bought suspenders to work in, because when a man gets fat, it pushes his belt down, and thus the pants, and with no rear-end to speak of, there's nothing to stop that migration right to the knees!

Its just so weird to look better, belts needing to be tighter...and there's that dreaded scale ruining my good attitude!

Thanks,

Ken
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 11:34

BF:

One thing I've noticed about the guys here who have reclaimed their health is that they all count and calculate their daily carb intake. For me, when I'm looking up carb counts on a regular basis, it really keeps me on tract because sometimes I forget or didn't know that certain foods have a higher count than others.

What J said about fluid retention for one reason or another is so true.

The waist size is the best judge isn't it?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 11:32

BF:

Good advice Meme. I dont keep a journal, but I do make a concerted effort to know the range of carbs I'm eating. I haven't fallen in to that "it says low carb on the label" trap!

I dont measure and weigh vegetables and calculate their carbs but I do follow a list of both Atkins and Southbeach foods with their allowed foods and daily limits on stuff like fruit, which I just added in to my diet, limited to the allowable daily. I figured, backing off and staying on induction wasn't working, might as well start slowly introducing some phase 2 foods. If I cant lose weight in the long run with what is still a radical dietary change using phase 2 guidelines AFTER nearly 3 weeks of pretty strict induction, I may need to try something else. I have successfully lost 40lbs about 25 years ago doing low fat and keeping calories low, so I know that works. I'm going to stick with low carb for a good while to give it a chance though. Mainly becasue protein is allowed and fats on the Atkins side. I dont have to be hungry. I do have the willpower to live hungry if I have to.

I do weigh and measure a lot of other stuff though. For instance today I discovered a can of light Spam in my pantry. My wife thinks the stuff is disgusting, but I have always loved it. 2g carbs per portion x 6 portions. I have a cutting board with all kinds of cheffy measurement lines on it, and cut it in to as exact portions as I could. I know each piece is 2g carbs now.

I read labels and calculate labeled carbs in meal preps in general, but again, I'm not going to weigh or measure each vegetable (phase approved) and calculate that...but beans, yep, I'll stick to a very small portion. They are loaded.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 11:46

BF:

I agree that measuring veggies isn't always necessary. I usually just eyeball them to a cup or a half cup and go with
that. Yes, beans and lentils or any type of those legumes
are off the charts. But who needs them anyway except for
a vegetarian when you can have a nice ribeye!