Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 22:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I sometimes have baked sweet potato with eggs. It doesn't impact my weight. I bake them with butter and only use the pink ones that are lower in sugar with a more nut-like flavor. Maybe yams?

Don't forget fried cabbage and Brussels sprouts. "Bubble 'n Squeak" anyone?

I love Garnet Yams! I never loved them before LC but I think I've craved the vitamin A before and I had to make some. I just boil, peel and mash them. Just the Yams and lots of sweet cream butter. It was such a treat and I could really taste the natural sugar.

Stir fried cabbage is my fav. I cook 3-4 slices of bacon and then add the cut up cabbage, stir-fry it a little then add a tiny bit of water, cover and cook on low. Sometimes I have to add a little more bacon drippings and also some butter is good. If you do't mind upping the carbs you can throw in minced garlic.
I cook Brussels Sprouts the same way as the cabbage, stir-fried with each head cut in half but you have to be sure not to scorch it or it turns bitter but I do love it caramelized a bit.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Sep-22-17 at 23:48.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 10:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just ordered a sample pack from Konjac Foods. They didn't have a lot of variety for the sample packs, but I'll get the idea with the pasta-type shape simulations of what I ordered.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-17, 11:03

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Just ordered a sample pack from Konjac Foods. They didn't have a lot of variety for the sample packs, but I'll get the idea with the pasta-type shape simulations of what I ordered.

Me 2 - just ordered. My wife had leftover soup for breakfast today and it tasted better than yesterday - very delicious. Next time after rinsing the noodles I may "marinate" them a while before cooking to give them more time to absorb flavor.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 09:22

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 162/158/120 Female 5 feet, 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default miracle noodle

Hi

I use miracle noodle shiritaki noodles. I am not a rice fan (although they do make a rice) but instead a fetuccini noodle fan. chewy, delicious, zero carb. made from sea vegetable. i put all kinds of veggies and stir fry . For protein I add shrimp or any meat. For sauce I pick a walden farms zero carb type...ranch, bacon, Caesar, blue cheese, thousand island. if I am doing all natural my suce is peanut butter, soysauce, ginger, garlic, coconut oil. MMMM
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 22:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I'm a shirataki fan, too.

In case anyone's wondering how something made from "yams" can be virtually zero carb, calling them yam noodles is probably a bit of a translation error. Sweet potatoes, true yams, and konjac (from which shirataki is made) are three completely different plant families.

I think the 'hate' comes from two things: the smell of the liquid they're packed in (easy to rinse off), and the texture. I do find them rubbery, so I just chop them up. The tofu shirataki has a nicer texture (for a few more carbs) and I don't bother chopping them.

As Robin said, a marinara doesn't work all that well, but I love them with a thick, savoury, meaty tomato sauce.

The rice isn't available where I normally shop, but I've cut the noodles up very small to be rice-y. It was a pain. I should just order some by the case.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 05:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I have not tried them with a tomato based sauce. I like the idea of a thick sauce with them. I made this alfredo sauce over fried chicken thighs some time back. It was good, probably the butter and cheese made it go down smooth and distracted the mouth from the slippery noodle ha!

#22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 16:10

BF:

My Konjac noodles arrived today - I've got oodles of noodles now!

I am assuming that it is not necessary to refrigerate them. They did not arrive cold and do not appear to need refrigeration. The expiration date is not for a year and I'm certain they'll get eaten by then.

I just want to be sure, is there any reason they should be refrigerated?

Also, I was thinking of trying a "macaroni salad" using them or maybe a "macaroni & cheese" dish to go with ribeye's on the grill tonite...
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 17:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

No need to refrigerate pure devil's tongue noodle. If they have tofu or seaweed in them I would tho. Clean noodle; No.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 17:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Received my sample pack of Konjac Linguini today. Made a nice dish with stir-fired gound beef and veggies. They taste like Thai glass noodles in this dish with zero carbs and a good amount of fiber. These are good. I'll be ordering more.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 18:44

BF:

I made mac & cheese for a side dish tonite.

I looked at some online recipes and followed the suggestion to rinse the noodles, put them in boiling water for a couple minutes, rinse them again and then dried them out a little in a hot frying pan.

I used one package of the rigatoni - they were about the size and shape of elbow noodles. I put them in a mixing bowl and added a bit of heavy cream and about half a bag of sharp cheddar. It perfectly fit into two single serving size oven dishes. I topped it with more shredded cheese and some crushed pork rinds for crunchies. I baked them at 350 for about 35 minutes - and then let them cool for about 15 minutes. Came out great!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 19:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
spaghetti squash is a fun way to switch up and makes great kugel.

I've been meaning to try that and the local farmers market had spaghetti squash 50 cents a pound this week so I picked up a couple today. I'm gona search around for some low carb sauce and eat it with meatballs and cheese tomorrow

That's another thing I like about low carbing... all these new recipes I get to try!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-17, 09:48

BF:

OK, trying to post a picture of my low carb mac & cheese

Half a bag shirataki rigatoni - 1.5g (zero net)
1 oz heavy cream - 1g
1/2 cup shredded cheddar - 1.5g
crumbled pork rind - 0g

#28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-17, 10:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

thud and Bill- both of you have pics that look amazing!

Bill, if you get the spaghetti squash, I recommend piercing him with a fork a few times and microwaving for 7-8 minutes. It cuts cooking time way down and can't tell the difference. Just be sure to let him cool, before you attempt to halve it and scoop the flesh.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-17, 18:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Bill, if you get the spaghetti squash, I recommend piercing him with a fork a few times and microwaving for 7-8 minutes. It cuts cooking time way down and can't tell the difference. Just be sure to let him cool, before you attempt to halve it and scoop the flesh.

Well, I SORT of took your advice... I did it sorta backwards. I figured I was in no rush and watched a couple of the YouTube videos and cut it in half and baked it face down in about half an inch of water in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes - but it still did not seem done so I then microwaved each half for another 3 minutes and then it seemed done and came out pretty easy from the shell.

WOW it made a lot! I figured I'd get maybe two plates of spaghetti out of both halves and have a little left over I could put with my wife's lunch she takes to work tomorrow. One half made two huge plates that neither of us could finish, (with low carb marinara and meatballs on top of course with cheese).

I still have half the squash left over. Can the "noodles" be frozen?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-17, 09:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I don't know if it freezes well. Did you end up trying it? How did it come out?

I usually pick the smallest squash possible bc it's just me and hubs, and the larger ones make a ridiculous amount