Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2266   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 05:36

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori don't get me started with the govt wanting their share of your wallet They sure have their hand out way too much!! But I just never heard of a launch permit. I tell ya....any way they can find to get your bucks, I so hear ya on that

Sounds good to break up a big driving trip. We do it alot when taking longer trips, breaking up the traveling is great. Long long car rides are a bummer when you try to drive straight thru, worth taking that extra day to relax a bit more in the travel.

KM. sorry things are rough on your right now. I hope things settle for everyone!!

Last night was nice. Fireworks blew off real good and they were SO loud. The report on our big bombs, ugh LOL they were fab! Shook the house LOL

Ate real delish brisket I bought at the little smokehouse store down the road. was gonna do burgers also but no one wanted them, have alot of hamburger to make a meatloaf later today.

tired. didn't go to bed til like 2, up at 7...I have that groggy tired feeling like I need more sleep. Will nap out later today I think. Simple day....pool later and just do this and that chores thru the day. Not in the mood to do too much.

hope ya'll had great 4ths

great day all
Sponsored Links
  #2267   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 08:14

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Blue- Indeed I have read Beach Music. Good book! It was a long time ago though. Good book!

LOL over Karma now having her way with your hubby and all he has kept. Made me laugh out loud.

So I am sort of fascinated by this ice-block vodka bottle thing. Does the bottle slide in and out of the ice block to pour, or do you have to lift the whole block? My mind is confused.

GOOD FOR YOU for taking a lazy day. You've got to do that now and again.

Lori- I can't believe you have gone so long without your AC on in your bedroom! We have had temps at 100 here. You must be a good bit cooler.

Sorry work was so busy! Was there a big holiday sale going on or something?

Trig- How does the pup react to the fireworks? We took our dogs down to the basement about 8:15 and hung out there with them until 10:30. They don't like them at all, particularly poor Sophie. With the TV on in the basement she can't hear them.

KMom- We miss you too! I absolutely love the t-shirts. I hope you have the very best time on your cruise. You deserve it!

Jaz- Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back home. Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad for you. Wondering what was bittersweet? Also thinking it is time to get an update on Ava!

••••••••••••••

Our Fourth was really nice, fun and laid back. DD and Fi got here about 1:30. We played corn hole with DS19 and then he left around 3. Then we got in the pool and played volleyball and hung out. Fired up the grill and had burgers and corn on the cob- delicious. Then hung out quietly for a bit, watched a tv program and then DD and Fi left about 9:30 or so. I did miss DS16 a lot- it was VERY strange to not even speak to him on a holiday like this, you know? But I know he had a BLAST for sure and probably more fun than he would have at home.

Today I am feeling lazy (that has been a theme this week, I feel like, with the heat outside) but will probably go make a couple of returns I've been putting off, both the UPS and also at a couple of stores.

Heat breaks tomorrow, thankfully!
  #2268   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 15:56

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hello all from my real life back in Atlanta! HOT HERE-

NIC- I get ya on missing the kid. But you are right, he most likely is having a great time. Sounds like you had a grad time though on the 4th!!!!!
Ava update below!

Trig- I get ya on the bugs!!!!! They are BIGGER IN GA!!!! Yup! No doubt about it.
Very cool on the pool working out for the holiday. So did you GO to fireworks?????? For some reason I thought you live "way out there"..........Not close enough to HEAR fireworks.

Kmom- Hope everything works out! sounds stressful! YUP got your email! Your on MY LIST!

Lor- I would NOT be able to sleep without air! How DO YOU DO THAT???????- Can't wait to hear about your trip!!! Safe travels!
Yes I now you and your sister would LOVE St. Simon. Much Much Much to fall in love with!

Blue- Hope you had a wonderful day!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
The bitter sweet?!- Having a blast with so much life and fullness to the day. Lively conversations, tons of laughter, pool, morning walks. Then we pack the car. He is going to SC to see his sister, I am heading West to Atlanta. We actually part in the driveway. Our directions have us heading a different way. At the end of the driveway.
The silence was DEAFENING. I knew it would be like that when I wrote this morning. I knew it would be hard. It seems harder every time.
Maybe it is as I get older I know how fragile life is. How time is truly measured in moments- for better or worse. We had a few moments of bumping into each other. But we are both single- so it happened- and over it.

I know how ya feel Blue- when your son pulls aways. A jolt to the heart. It's rough- no lie.
Then a few days later we are all back to our normal routine. But in this moment it is very rough.

I came home to a dead dryer- put a load of towels in- and white hot smoke from the dryer. Done- need a new one. Not burning down the house over a dryer. I thought the element might be going out for a few weeks now. It has smelled hot.

So When I am off line here.... I will be going on the washer dryer hunt. Hope to get a holiday sale still.

Lost a pound! HA- tons of walking. Ok - gals pals

OH- Ava is doing well. Nothing new- just feeding and growing!!!!!
Will post a new pic when I get one.
  #2269   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 18:14

BF:

Good God, Jaz, I feel like Murphy is not only visiting you but moving in to your home with all the things that you have had to replace lately. I am really sorry to hear about you needing to replace the dryer.

The units I have had have been LG and I have had them for 15 years with not one single repair. That being said, I replaced the washer voluntarily a few months ago with a top loader Speed Queen because I wanted to get rid of the front loader. The dryer is still going strong. I really wanted a 2017 Speed Queen before they changed them for 2018 because it should easily last 20 years.

Hugs to you on the silence of your son leaving. I can imagine we will feel that way when our kids clear out. I know Dh's parents would comment on it.

I took DS19 to the Indian buffet for lunch. I have been way into Indian food lately. SO GOOD! I have been watching all kinds of videos because I want to try replicating some recipes this summer.. I have the time to learn!
  #2270   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 18:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Jaz---I never know who I'm going to reply to first, whatever hits me first, and today it was your "jolt to the heart" of leaving your son. You're right, I SO understand. They come home, or you travel with them, and you get so close all over again, and you can see their laughing faces, and you can see their doubts and fears. They are ALWAYS our babies. But when they are adults it isn't as easy to attend to their needs, because they must do much of that for themselves.

My mother used to say to me the "once you cell divide" nothing is ever the same. She was so right about that, for the better and the worse. But you're right, takes a bit and then you bounce back into your routine away from them. And y'know, I used to feel the same way every time I left my dad's house or his place on the river. I would watch him grow smaller in the rear view mirror, waving at us and every single time it pinched the hell out of my heart. For the last many years w/my mom it was easier because she lived just 10 minutes from us and we saw her often. Still, will never forget the last time I saw her, after we dropped her off after dinner out. Like my dad, her eyes were full of love. Sometimes being human is so hard.

Oh my, I have made myself misty eyed. So quick segue here, YAY on the pound down! And again, I just have to say, you looked SO pretty in your pix. Youthful and full of spirit. Thanx again for sharing so much of your holiday with us. I loved every picture.

Trigger---I love hearing about your times at the your mom's home on the lake. What a gift. A pier, water, fun!!! I bet every time you are there, not to mention when Rich is there too, adds to your mom's lifespan. So, so lovely for you and family.

Ha! I hate those big boomer fireworks. Have since I was a kid. I'm all about the beautiful ones that light up the sky w/color. I bet you're not surprised to hear that! And I'm not surprised to hear you love those boomers. We are like Annie Oakley meets Anne of Green Gables, AND, love each other anyway. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Contrast is so fun and interesting.

Nic---Again, on the subject of kids. So understand your missing your oldest son on the 4th. Not to say you didn't miss the younger son, but he's coming home to stay for awhile soon ---the other one is on his flight from the nest. Still, your 4th sounded so nice.

On the very pretty vodka bottle presentation, no, you don't slide the bottle out of its block. You just pick up the block and pour. It doesn't take long to pour a finger or two of vodka, so no one's hands get ice bitten. It's kind of like birthday candles, doesn't last real long, but oh so lovely while it does. Lasts long enough for everyone to have a drink or two, unless you put it out in high heat and humidity. But this is something you can do for Christmas, as I have, using slices of citrus, and it lasts long enough to have fun with it.

K-mom---Oh, I LOVE your T'shirts. So clever and so fun. And you know what? It occurs to me how much you are the matriarch of your clan. I know how much you miss your hubby, , but you have carried on his absence with such strength and spirit. You are the queen bee, in the best of ways it seems to me. You are the hub of the family, always there, always caring. More on e-mail.

Lori---Yeah, really. Don't people just want a day off from shopping anymore? Guess not.

Also, wanted to comment on something you said a few posts ago. That you had to deal with your mom's years of being bi-polar. ((((((Lori))))))). This is a very hard mental disease to deal with. Bless you and all the empathy in the world.

Also, thinking your sister just needs to get thru her upcoming surgery till she can get enthusiastic about being away from her bathroom, let alone a trip. I know women who have had this surgery, and it has changed their lives for the better. I have faith this will happen for your sister.

--------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Well Ok, then. Gals, we mostly stay away from this stuff. Fine w/me. But I'm not one to keep my mouth shut when others comment. Understand that the wheels of government involve some waste, and all over curbing that.

However, for those of you who love being out in the environment, I will say that it takes money to maintain our rivers, our lakes, our streams and our oceans. Not to mention our roads and our bridges. THIS is what a lot of licensing fees are about.

Here in the north, winter takes a terrible toll on our roads. Pot holes are dangerous and injure our cars. They have to be fixed. Bridges need to be maintained, or they fall down, as one did famously here in the Twin Cities and killed many.

Our lakes and streams and oceans are under assault in many ways, not just human ways, but nature's ways, such as the Zebra mussel. If a bad entity gets going in a lake, it can kill that lake for any human enjoyment. Not to mention the pollutants poured into our waters if someone doesn't regulate that. These are the best things we pay for.

So, I'm just sayin'. But yeah, I am SO going to say. Done.

We had a nice 4th, but hubby had a dizzy spell at the pool party we were at that scared the H out of me. He recovered and all is well, but it was a reminder how vulnerable life is.

I sure am chatty tonight, probably way too many deep thoughts. But I am who I am who I am, as Popeye used to say.

Last edited by Blue52 : Thu, Jul-05-18 at 18:56.
  #2271   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 04:49

BF:

Nicco glad you had a great and lazy fourth there is nothing wrong with lazy and relaxed LOL

the dog, not sure on how he reacts kinda. I am in the boonies kinda and he rarely hears any big fireworks. Only the small ones people blow off on the street and those aren't anything big. He was out in the backyard til we got home around 11 at night, he seemed perfect tho. He isn't a scaredy cat about anything really. For 11 lbs he is a 200 lb all fighting dog in him HA HA

Jazz, no I did not go to fireworks. WE WERE the fireworks
Mom lives on a lake. She is lakefront and everyone just blows them off on their docks. The guy down the other side of the lake blew off a very impressive amt of fireworks. Big ones like ours. We blew off only about $300 worth, this guy must have blown off like a $1K or more. His display was wonderful. Other's around the lake were blowing off the big bombers also, very pretty. Mom's lake people rocks

Sorry on the dryer, if it ain't one thing it is another but you are so right about the house is worth way more than that dryer Get a nice safe one.

Ahhh, the fun trip is over, the kid returns to his life and you go your way. Seems weird doesn't it that life can't always be the vacation time. But it sure does't work that way.

Blue, oh I donate to state parks. They get the short end of the stick on money from the govt. Govt doesn't give them alot to work with truly. Very important to maintain our nature that is left! But truly, I can see motorized boats being charged, they pollute the water. A kayak doesn't have a motor, you are the motor , and to me that isn't cool. Boaters with motors do alot of polluting, a kayak does not. My entrance money fee into a state park pass should be enough to launch a kayak at no charge State park daily entrance fees are not cheap anymore in alot of state parks. Like anything they have to increase cost to stay alive. Hey just my thought on it also LOL No biggie. It is like some things are justifiable and some are not I guess, will always be that way with a fee one has to pay over and over thru our lives. None will be perfect for all, to me there are good fees I will gladly pay and then the 'add on bullsh**' fees just to rake ya a bit more

You are not a big boomer fireworks fan....no kidding, I don't know why but I thought you would be, too funny we are so different yet so much the same truly. We are the same where it matters most!!

Ewwww, dizzy spell. I never like those. They are scary, I am never one to like a dizzy spell. They do freak me out. I don't like to be 'off' like that ever, kinda like you lose control and is so scary to me. I am super glad all is ok for him!!!

Today is a bit cloudy here.
Not doing much.
Some house chores to handle.
Have to grocery shop for trip, leave monday for 4 days to SC lake. Lake Cheraw. Just for change of scenery. Fish, kayak, relax, booze it up a bit and chill LOL

Vacuum pool later today.
usual junk.

all good here

made big old meatloaf, will hit that for food today. made yesterday but didn't want it so will woof it down today, 2 meals. 1 lb of meat each meal. will do me fab

great day all
  #2272   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 05:41

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Welcome home Jaz! Not another household "thing"?? Sigh.....As you said, you have to have a safe dryer. They sure are a fire hazard if not working correctly. Hope you were able to find a nice one at a good price.

Yes, it is always bittersweet when a lovely vacation comes to a close. Enough to give you the blues. I told my sister all about St Simon's and she is up for the trip next year. It's in the planning stages! Thanks for being the advance scout.

So glad to hear that Ava is feeding and growing. What a precious baby.

Blue...I do agree with you on the fees we must pay. I know it is not cheap to maintain parks and boat launches etc. We always enjoy going to parks and natural areas and do not balk at entrance fees. Right now I am so sick of hearing the words "hunting license & Permit" that I could scream. We have been mobbed at work with both. I am so glad I am out of there for a bit. One thing I know.....if I am still working there next year, I WILL be taking the first 2 weeks of July off. I am not going thru that again. ACK!!

Hope your DH is ok and that the dizzy spell was a one off. Does he go to the Dr. for check-ups? I know some men just do not like to do that. I'm sure it was a scary situation for a minute.

Trig....I'm with Blue on the fireworks. The pretty colored ones are nice, the loud bangers.....not my "thing". We live along a river and there is a campground on the other side and down a bit and for the past week or more, every night after I go to bed they are shooting off those bangers. I get tired of it night after night. At least they typically stop by 10 or so. It's just that I go to bed so dang early!

Nic...sounds like you had a nice fourth although you were missing your son. Yes, it has been hot here. A couple night's when I went to bed it was 88 degrees in our room! If it is not terribly humid, we can get by with a fan on exhaust in another bedroom. It pulls nice air in our window and right across our bed. Our bedroom faces the river, so we usually get a nice river breeze. That one night however, ugh.....just had to run the a/c.

Ok...today I have to get my vacation pedicure and do a bit of laundry. DH is going to drive me nuts today as we get ready for our road trip. He gets so "antsy" and follows me around asking questions..."Did you this..." "Should we that..." Sigh.... Gotta love him. I think he is going to take our Grandson fishing sometime today, so that will get him out of my hair for a bit.

Have a good day my friends!
  #2273   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 06:31

BF:

Good Morning Ladies!!!

Oh My!!!! Annie Oakley meets Anne of Green Gables! That is SO FUNNY!!! But SO very true! Trig- is our very own Annie Oakley!!!!

Trig- I must have missed the part about you being at your mom's and the Pier! How VERY cool is that. Does your mom LIVE at the lake house?
You know my son and I were talking about that. Water people vs. Land people. People who crave the sound of water, need salt air, want the lake like are a different breed. We NEED that to feel more grounded.
I know some people that are very content going to places, and land vacays. Ie..Grand Cayon, hiking, museums, ect.

I too took a long look at "THOSE" people that LIVE in St. Simons. First thing I noticed? $$$$ - And a WAY of lifestyle I could SO get used to.
Biggest question in life? Where or what to eat. Everything else is answered by beach, pool, wine, when to nap! I could do that life in a minute.

As far as the FEES in places of nature. I am going to CHIME in. So, to get to Driftwood beach- it cost 10.00 a car. I was appalled. I am not used to paying for nature. However, it was a very clean beach. It truly was a sight well worth 10.00. Someone I am sure have to clean up trash left by people. It was worth it. I want places like that to go to.

Blue- You story of your dad standing there in the drive way waving and getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror I am sure is burned in your head. That was a hard visual to read, especially after watching the kid's car pull away going his own direction yet again! Wow- the heart strings! Yet I am glad we can come together , yet have our own life.

Dizzy Spell with the hubby???? Eeeehew- first thing I was thinking though is dehydration. People tend to not think about that first. No offense, but "older" people (putting myself in this category), seem to not drink enough. For whatever reason we just don't get thirsty like we did when we were younger. Therefore, we are more at risk. Just something to think about. If It happens again however I would be looking to seek a physician. WATER, WATER, WATER!

NIC- Yea on Murphy moving in with me! Ya know the $$$ of a new washer and dryer doesn't HURT as much as the 4,000 dropped into a car in a matter of weeks that literally was sold for parts. That really stung. What I COULD have done with that 4,000. SIGHHHHHH........ Life- just money right? I will catch up sooner or later. I just hate WASTING money. I don't mind spending on something worthwhile.

Nice that you had a great day, and it was quite. So you are getting into Thai food? I think you CAN - make it LC. Sesame oil and the coconut aminos are key! Add some ginger and maybe try some Kimchee in stir fry. I go through spurts I love "that taste" too. Also - a must is red chili paste. I use it all the time!!! Gives a nice spice LC kick to just about anything.

Are you still working your movement watch? I may need to shelf the idea of getting one myself for a minute- due to the washer dryer expense. Oh- I will look into a LG. Can't find a speed queen.
Thanks for the tip!!!

Lori- I know you are getting excited!!!! Safe travels and we expect PIC's
Who are you going with? Are you beach front? How long are you staying? Do you do morning walks on the beach?

Kmom- I know you too are getting excited about your upcoming trip!
------------------------------------------------------------
I am shopping for the appliances. I spent time going over reviews of LG, and Kenmores, and Whirlpool- last night. I am not going to knock the ones on here that got lousy. But it is helpful to read what people had to say.

I also start school today! I need to go in and do all my reading for the week, sort out my time, review the expectations and syllabus and prep for this course.

I am also going to sit down and put together a budget. I feel I am hemorrhaging money and need to close that hole in my wallet! I need to "see" it on paper. I am very old fashion. I use pen, paper, and a calculators.

Tomorrow I will go to my mom's for a grill out, as I din't make it for the 4th. She wanted me to come over today. I put my foot down and told her I need, 24hours to decompress and get work done.
Dinner- steaks and ribs on the grill - I can do a dinner, TOMORROW!!! -

Hot and humid here. Spotty on and off showers. I need to put my face in the computer, so I am sorta glad it's not so nice out.

I have NOTHING in my fridge right now. I know I need to fix that.

Have a great day everyone!
  #2274   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 07:07

BF:

Lori I bet you are sick of hearing hunting permit...lol...in PA there are tons of hunters for sure

hubby bought the NC lifetime. 300 bucks back then and he has ALL hunting that NC allows. He just gets his permit stickers when the hunting time comes and those are free to him since he is lifetime. That was the best 300 bucks he ever spent about 40 yrs ago LOL One of the reasons I want him to hunt duck. I like duck to eat. Everything is free for him to hunt duck darn it but he doesn't want to bother. And with all his NC fishing costs covered it is cheap for that now for him also....and he got grandfathered in on surf fishing. Even with the NC lifetime some must buy a surf license because they are not covered under the newer lifetime purchase...but hubby got in and he pays no surf fishing charges in nc either. Gotta love it We bought kiddo a lifetime license but it cost $500 for her. And when she probably leaves this state, and doesn't hunt or like to truly fish, then it is the worst $500 we spent HAHA

you know I don't mind hearing the bangers at night if I am in bed, kinda reminds me of the big thunder storms I love. I love loud thunder and the house shaking....yea guys, I AM that crazy nut kinda person LOL

Jaz, yea mom lives in a big home on the lake. Her dock is where we swim, fish, boat and more. Standard nice lakefront home. It is worth now like $600K I think? My parents built it for like $250K about 30 yrs ago. They got a nice waterfront lot, about 240 ft. flat to the lake and sweet

hey you take some time to decompress for sure

you are me....I can easily do beach, pool, eat, swim and drink and nap for life oh yea baby! HA

CONGRATS on that lb down. Your near zero carb life means you are leaning up and doing so great. You hold this course and good things come to those who wait it out

a budget. yea I had to do one also. suks cause I hate doing things like that but at some point the money hemoragging has to stop for sure. been there, it ain't pretty LOL

ok, off to vacuum pool now. sunny and nice. hubby and kid still sleeping, at 9? for hubby OMG! that is unusual but will leave him alone and snooze more. Kid I get, but hubby is more early and I am surprised he is zonked out still. He has to mow his mom's properties today later. And we have to load kayaks into rv etc for trip on Monday and more. Kinda gonna be a 'get'er' done before we leave kinda few days happening.

I am a blabbermouth today for some reason LOL
  #2275   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 08:50

BF:

Trig- You go on and be a blabbermouth, Hon. Makes up for the days when you disappear on us.

That is perfect for you, that your Mom has a lake house that you guys can go to. Love that for you all! That's a big house for her to be banging around in all on her own though. Your Mom has some great equity in that, which is nice.

Jaz- So glad Ava is doing well. What is her chronological age and her corrected age?

Can you hold off on buying a washer for now and just buy the dryer?

I've slowed down on the watch/movement thing for the past week because I was babying my foot. I know SO MANY PEOPLE who hurt their feet and are sidelined for like a year and I do NOT want to be one of those people! It is mostly all fine now but I do still have MILD pain at the ball of my left foot. I am taking care to wear good supportive shoes while I am healing up.

Can't believe it is school time again! So are you working out of the new office now, with the long commute, or is that still not in place yet?

Blue- :::sniffle::: That was sweet and sad, your comments about leaving or being the leaver.. either way.

Thanks for the further explanation on the ice block. Doing something like that would not occur to me in a million years. I am a 'smack things down and be done' sort. I certainly can and do admire people with an eye for things that like and a heart to make the effort though, for sure.

Hugs re: your DH. I hope it was heat related and nothing more. And as for our environment, parks etc.. Yaaas!

Lori- I cannot imagine sleeping in an 88 degree room. No way. I would be down in the basement in a heartbeat. But I guess it is all what we get used to!

Hi Kmom!

••••••••••••••

Doing a load of laundry and hanging out before heading to the mall to make some returns this afternoon. DS19 wants to go to Shake Shack.. ugh, I'm not much of a fan. But he likes it so whatever. He has had a good visit. I think he leaves Sat or Sunday, not sure bc I am leaving tomorrow for GA.

My Mom has been more wacky than usual lately, and not just the past week. Not just the falling but just not remembering things well, getting dates wrong, things wrong etc. She texted me about going to get some soup when she picks me up and I texted her that I was not coming until tomorrow. I had sent her the itinerary twice in three days already. But then again, she is a super flighty person anyway and doesn't take a lot of care to detail etc, so it is hard to know. I'll see what I see when I am there.

DS16 has been gone two weeks tomorrow. We will be heading into week three. This is good not only for him but for me.. I haven't experienced a separation from him for this long before. College is coming fast I know. Funny thing is that so far I have had NO kid-free summer time thus far. Not at all what I was dreading going into the summer. There will be some coming up though.

So yeah, heading to ATL tomorrow, then back for a week before heading to NYC.
  #2276   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 17:10

BF:
Progress:

TGIF, gals! Even with the 4th in the middle of the week, still loving my Friday night and looking forward to a weekend without business worries, because what can you do on a weekend about it? Love that.

Trig---I agree w/your reasoning on the Kayak vs. the big oil spewing motor boats. And I know how much you love and contribute to the outdoors every time you pay a park fee---and yeah, holy cats, they ain't cheap these days. Wow, what a deal your hubby got on his hunting license! Cool that you got one for the kiddo and have introduced her to so many things to do in the outdoors.

I could never be a hunter, but my dad sure was. You'd have loved him because his specialty was duck hunting, and boy did he know how to cook one up. That and fishing, and again, I've mentioned the Sunday mornings he'd go out early and return with trout that he'd fry up w/potatoes for breakfast.

What I learned from my dad is that the best hunters are some of the most ecologically concerned people out there. He always played by the rules and frequently donated to environmental causes. Spoke to us often about respecting nature and the outdoors.

Nic---So you go see your mom tomorrow, huh? Are you bringing your laptop in case you need to rant? We'll be here if you do. I know this won't be an easy trip for you, but I am glad you're going---things we need to do whether we like it or not, things we feel better about ourselves for doing.

Her mental state does sound frazzled, but given the trauma of her recently broken off engagement, and her generally "flighty" side, that may get better as time passes. I'm just so relieved for her and you that this thing ended.

Wow, 3 weeks is a long time away for your youngest. Sounds good for him and good for you. Nice cooling off period after the drama of the last of the school year. Distance can be hard, as discussed in former post, but it can also be illuminating and healing, I think.

Lori---Love that you're driving half way and then stopping for the night. When Hubby and I do this on long trips it really makes a difference. Seems like that stopover really gets the vacay going. We always look for a quaint motel with a pool. I love a night swim in a little old motel pool. I'm going to LOVE where we're staying on our Charleston trip, I just know it.

I'm like you, don't turn on the AC in our bedroom till we have to. We have ceiling fans everywhere in our house, and usually they do the trick. I hate AC and windows closed in the summer. Feel hermetically sealed. But on some nights, I learn to love it!

Jaz---Man girl, you sure have gotten hit with the expenses! Writing a budget out is good medicine for that! However, seems to me that you are not living on the wild side financially at all, but rather getting hit with one thing after another one simply has to take care of. Did you know that faulty dryers cause many a house fire? So yeah, gotta have a working car, gotta have a safe dryer, gotta have almost everything you've had to replace lately.

Oh, and BTW, IMO, you also gotta have a vacation, a lovely trip away from the day to day, and precious time spent with son. Old proverb that used to be in the frame of my mother's dressing table mirror along with many others, but I love this one: "If thou has 2 pence left, spend one for a loaf of bread, and one for hyacinth for the soul." Yep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are having a stretch of gorgeous summer days. Not too hot, sunny, breezy, lovely. The very best of the season.

Did a bit of business this morning, then worked on some house projects. Nice balanced day, didn't feel overworked or stressed. Love that.

Hubby is doing the most AMAZING job on the attic. And it is quite a job. It's hot as heck up there right now, dusty and cobwebby and was full of junk. He is carving off an area of it every day, hauling out junk, vacuuming it and getting rid of the dust and cobwebs. He is doing it in a very orderly way, working from one space to the next one, so he can really see his progress. And, drum roll, he does not want my help!

My part comes in when he hauls stuff down. I go thru it and decide what stays and what goes. Most of it is going. But man, gals, there are sure some poignant moments in all this. So many memories. Christmas stuff, Halloween stuff, old toys, wagons and sleds. I shed a tear and then become merciless. Out 99% of it goes.

Today though, involved all my son's old story books. Stacks of them. I had a lovely bitter sweet time going thru them. I read many of them just one more time and then out they went. Kept a select pile that were really special to us and him, and are beautiful books. Anything by Chris Van Allsburg (The Polar Express, Jumanji, and so many others, was kept.) You guys might be familiar with his work, but did you know he both wrote AND illustrated his books. Oh, the talent. His stories and his illustrations are just magic. They are moving with us, as well as some other classics. BUT, the pile going is much bigger than the one staying, so all is going as it should.

On the woe front. I found another Trader Joe's LC thing I love. Frozen tuna burgers! I'm sure you can get a rendition of this in many stores, but theirs are FAB. Last night I cut a slice of head lettuce, put it on a plate and dolloped it with mayo. Fried up a tuna burger w/cheese on top, put that on the lettuce and mayo. Thin sliced onion and tomato topped it off. SO FREAKING GOOD, and easy!

My thing right now is concentrating on how MUCH I eat. 4th of July, treat day, reminded me that if let off the chain, I just eat too much. So while I am absolutely watching the carbs, for right now I'm allowing a bit more leeway there, and tightening up on portions and amounts. We'll see. Gotta keep experimenting, which keeps everything more interesting.

Last edited by Blue52 : Fri, Jul-06-18 at 17:44.
  #2277   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 17:23

BF:
Progress:

OMG gals, I have really been a gas bag of chat lately, LOL. Can't believe what I see when I press submit! It's a lot, but it shows me how much I cherish you guys and this site at the end of many days. A place to write about so many things, when so many things are happening, but still never forget the woe. So cool our friendships began with our weight issues, and now look how we've all grown together. So cool. Hugs to all.
  #2278   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 18:48

BF:

Will do personals tomorrow.Tummy sorta wonky as TRIG says. Her word. but it fits. Ate some bad chicken I think. It was SLIMY when I took it out of the package and had a freaky texture when I had some.Only ate half thankfully- but it was enough to make me slightly "upset"- Drinking ginger water.

It really works- ginger water to settle the tummy. Takes about 30 minutes to kick in- not a great taste- but works great, and so very natural.

Bought a whirlpool- washer and dryer. I bought a midline price point. Not the cheapest, but not all the bangs and whistles either.
1100, delivered, plus they will haul away the junk I have. They will install it too.

Yea- Blue I loved your mothers proverb- if you have 2 pence- one for bread, one for flowers! I needed to hear that! Puts these last couple months into perspective. It's just hard when you get gut punched in the wallet, and it feels out of ones control.

.....Just gotta add one thing- then I am going to lie down. So I "checked in" at work. I signed in online and jabbered a couple people. Jabber is our instant messaging internally. Anyway I was just checking my emails, but said hi to a couple people.

Both people told me that M has been off the chain this week. Grumpy and with her door closed and back to everyone all week. totally unapproachable. That is what she does when she wants left alone. She turns her back to the glass so people just see her back- and keeps her door shut- do not disturb button on jabber.

I was told it was a miserable week! then a few jokesters "trashed" my cube, taped all my equipment together and put paper balls all over my desk. I love it. I guess that made her REALLY mad. she said - whoever did that needs to clean it up. It never got cleaned up. I think it's hilarious.

I also didn't run her reports for her before I left- met she had to do her own work. I knew that would make her squirm, as she doesn't know how to pull a report.

Ok- personals in am- going to settle this tummy. Throwing out rest of the chicken, or take it back. Hate tossing money.

Have a great night-
Safe travels NIC/ Lori!!!!!!
  #2279   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 05:01

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning!

Well, DH has started already. We are not supposed to leave until 11, but he is badgering me already at 6AM. Sigh.....When we first decided to leave today, he said we'd leave at 12 or 1......now it is 11.....I just told him to relax...we will leave at 11 as planned....not 10:59, not 11:01......11!!!!

I have stripped our bed and have the sheets spinning. I like to come home to a nice fresh bed. I have to make sure my cat has fresh water and her dry food is full and change the food in the hummingbird feeder. Our pet sitter will come tomorrow and each day we're gone.

Jaz...sounds like you're getting a nice washer/dryer combo. It is huge that they will install and take away the old ones. OMG.....slimy chicken? That made me queasy just reading about it! I sure hope you didn't get more sick over night.

Sounds like you may run into a buzz saw at work on Monday morning. I'm sure your staff will be glad to have you back after a week of M. Just paste a smile on your pretty face and let M's comments roll off your back.

Blue...you and DH are really making progress on your clean out. The attic....OMG.....you are so lucky that he doesn't want you up there to help. I don't venture up into our attic either. As you said, hot and dusty and I know there are bats up there. EEK!! When we need something from up there, I make DH go up. You can imagine what ours has in it since the house has been in the family since it was built in 1852. All manner of stuff from the last 166 years has been stuck up there! So sweet that you are reading some of your son's books from childhood one more time before getting rid of them.

Trig.....your Mom's lake place sounds just fabulous. How far is it from your home? I have always wanted to rent a place on a lake and can just imagine taking a cup of coffee out to the porch in the morning and just looking at the lake.

Nic....good luck with the trip to your Mom's. I'm sure you are a bit nervous about what you'll find when you arrive. Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Ok....time to throw the sheets into the dryer and have 1 more cup of coffee.

I'll check in from Myrtle Beach on Sunday! I'm taking my laptop along so I won't be out of touch.

Later!
  #2280   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 06:56

BF:

Lori- Make sure your butt is in your car at 11:00- not 10:59, not 11:01- 11:00! - to funny!!!!!I am hoping you get some nice weather. Hear we now have a hurricane out there. I also hear we aren't suppose to get a direct hit, but it can turn up some waves. Makes for great shelling.
Glad you are taking your computer. OH BTW- I love to come home to clean fresh sheets as well.
That is advantage of having a kitty over a dog. My pup can hardly hold it while I am at work. She would not tolerate being boarded either. Lucky that my mom at least likes my dog and is willing to watch her here and there.

I think it's really cool about your attic being used for 166 years. Oh the treasures up there. So you need to go up there in the FALL- when the weather is mild. BLUE and I would have a field day. Think of the dresses, hats, jewelry, pictures, letters, baby blankets, toys, Christmas of days old. You may have a real treasure up there. I would MAKE your husband go up there and see!!!! Bring it down so you can see! Very cool. I would think he would be interested to as it is his family. Very

Nic- So you are going to Atlanta by yourself? Do you rent a car or does she come and get you? She is just inside the perimeter. Is she in Sandy Springs, Spaulding area? That is a sweet area. Nice area to shop.. My new office will be on Ashford Dunwoody- right across from the perimeter mall. - Talk about traffic!!!!!
You ask- my commute will start in Late Sept, first part of Oct. Right during the holiday season and winter.

Fingers crossed that the time with your mom is productive and not over the top. Ya know I know that families can get so complicated. My kids wish I could be more hands on, with help. Times have changed. Safe travels.
Oh.... While I am thinking about it- tell me about your Thai thing going. I went through that for a minute. Yes- it can be LC- with the seasoning, and oil, and aminos.

BLUE- I loved your sharing about the books from your son's growing up. I am glad you are keeping a few of them. I have a book from my growing up. It's called Little Boy Blue! Remember that story- the kid falls asleep in a pile of hay behind the barn. Well, they took that rhyme and made a story with cool pictures. I don't know why of all the books I had it was that one, I kept.

I think its very right to keep a few. Some one else is going to LOVE those books. Even in the days of computers, there is something about holding a book and reading to a child.

I am very excited for you to be done with this chapter- and happy and light in your new place. I know process, process. You will get there and get settled and find a new normal- and it will be very OK!!!!

Trig- got my bag packed, dogger ready, float in car- what's your mom's address!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH- Sounds lovely! How close is she to you? The way you write she isn't all too far. She comes and stays with you too right?
So let me ask, why don't you all live with her? It seems like the perfect solution for your family. You get the water life, she gets cared for- win win? I know, on the surface it seems perfect. But there are always complications.

Speaking of water life- you should be able to get some perfect pool time this weekend. The humidity is supposed to get better. At least tolerable.
What's on tap for your grill this weekend?

Kmom- Very exciting that you are working your way straight into a pair of Capris you want to wear! Hope things are working out for you and the family.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lori- yea I did get up in the middle of the night 2 times, ill. I feel VERY beat up in the gut. I am tossing the other package of chicken- I put it in my freezer for later. But I think that it had been frozen and thawed to many times. So it will hit the trash. I am not even going to waste my time to take it back. It was on sale for 3.00. Not worth a trip over 3 bucks. I just don't want to get sick again. URGHHHHHHHH :sick: :sick: Enough of that- new day. I am hopeful I am better by the time I go to my mom's for dinner. Still quesy.

I have to share. I listened to the new video that Robert Lustig did on You Tube. PLEASE TAKE the time to listen to it- everyone. You will not be disappointed. He just really lays out in laymens terms what carbohydrates do to the body.
He is about science- and he pulls no punches. I have read all his books and watched all his videos. But this new video he brings it down to a level anyone can understand. sometimes those science guys talk above the head. He does that sometimes.

But this video - it really will scare the hell out of ya! Just how sick we are nationally and as people. Just how toxic sugar, and carbs are. It is literally KILLING US. I loved the fact he went into huge detail about how THIN people are just as sick. Obesity is not the indicator as so many people think.
Then I love how he talked about cholesterol and the benefit to our brains. But he did it all in a way that made it very simple to understand. I will be referring my future clients to THAT video.

Robert Lustig, science series, March 8th. Make sure you put in Science series- he has alot of videos. That is my gem to share today.

School has started. Fast break. It runs not until Sept. 14th. then I have 1 more class before wrapping up for the year- and I start 2019. This class is looking to be a bit busier. I read through the expectations and more writing. More time. I am ready!!!! Bring it!

So I am thinking of joining a Toast Masters club here close to where I live. They meet Tue. evenings. I think it would be great on many levels. I am ready to start investing in my community and get to know some people. I have waited to see if this is where I am staying. It is. I also could very easy just make work and school, and my family my life. Nothing else needed. I really could. School and the kids take up my extra time. It take EFFORT to go outside that box and meet people at my age.

You know it IS true that when I was younger- it was easier to meet people. We had kids the same age, parks, sports, church, tons of places that mom's meet.

Fast forward- Kids are grown and I am in more of a professional realm- and come home at the end of the day- walk the dog, talk to the kids, do home work and collapse into bed.
Just saying it takes more effort. So I am starting there. Tue. I will go.

Ok all- gotta have some more coffee and write my introduction post. Got 2 more to kick out by Wed. It should be a very interesting class. All about EVIDENCED BASED SCIENCE in HEALTHCARE. Love that. So the questions are- What makes something TRULY evidenced based. Think about that for a minute.

Closed Thread