Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2251   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 04:52

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, HOORAY! I so miss internet when it goes down

very cool swimming with a lot of sea turtles. I would do that in a heartbeat!!

Lori what is your drive time to Myrtle Beach? just curious. We are driving there in August as our last beach trip....we are doing Myrtle Beach State Park for camping, it is a 5 hr drive for us....about 4 1/2hrs to drive, we usually stop 2 times for about 1/2 hr cause of dog and kid LOL

Blue sorry you got slammed having to redo work. Doing it once kinda is truly enough HAHA
You guys are getting so much done so fast! Like you guys are on fire to get'er done and I know you want it done and over, and you guys are sure doing it with such speed. If I had to get this place done in 6 months it would be a disaster, my problem is my 3 outside barns. We still have farm equip. to unload, hubby is SO slow dragging his feet getting that stuff sold...omg. I need you guys over to show him how it is done with efficiency!!

Diet Ginger BEER....not giner ale? This is beer right? Hmm, never heard of it but will check it out on the web. Hey a good drink should always be checked into

even tho I am now slowing down on the drinking cause being older now, I get a 'tiny party stink' up my butt and then I fizzle out on the drinking again. right now I am forgetting the drinking for a bit. that last one in hi heat gave me a monster headache LOL so I learned again to mostly drop it and leave for vacations.

hey all....off to moms. hubby coming to handle some weeding stuff she wants done and I am driving her to get her blood pressure pills renewed. She takes the smallest dose and they 'have to see her' to get this prescript reloaded...ugh she says she can get them to renew by phone only so many times, now they WANT to see her....so off we go today in a bit. early appt

everyone have a great day
Sponsored Links
  #2252   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 06:34

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Trig.....9 1/2 hour drive for us to Myrtle Beach. We're leaving at 4AM, if not earlier. DH will be chomping at the bit!

I think Ginger "Beer" is kind of like Root "Beer"....not really beer in the classic sense. I could be wrong as I've never had it.
  #2253   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 06:46

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good morning from a hot and muggy tropical St. Simon Island!

Blue- I AM GOING TO GET YOU THAT PIC! I will send to all of you! the tree Spirit! It's a SHE by the way! I think SHE would look very nice in a frame. That with the spiral stair case I sent.
I like the sound of the frozen cup and Vodka concoction. I had something similar yesterday.
Got one of those HUGe tumblers that you get wet and put int he freezer- added ice, Purity Vodka (to taste wink wink)- top off with cherry lime sparkling water - squeeze of lime! Fabulous- to keep ya happy and hydrated.

Wowsa on the super fast client change up? What was the deal? They changed their mind on a design? Does that make you crazy or what?!?!?!?!?!?-
Awesome on putting the hubby to work- while you are working. I also think it grand that you are working through all this! Plus have a pile of boxes ready to go. When do you GET TO MOVE????- Do you have to wait until your house sells? Do they have the unit you want yet?

OMG- I laughed so hard at your rendition of my review! SPOT ON..........M so wanted to knock me- but just "couldn't put her finger on it"............ And I just didn't help her out with that!!! Bi-polar bitch- (smiling warmly) HA

Watch for your pic-

Trig- I loved your sea turtle story. This was definitely a sea turtle.
Love your story! We are going to Jekyl Island today. There is a beach there- and a turtle sanctuary too! I will take more pictures!

More MORE MORE crab today- leftover shrimp- left over slaw if needed.
It is SO FREKIN hot- it kills the want for heavy food.

LORI- I am curious too how long it will take you to get to Myrtle Beach! PACK LIGHT- you just need swimsuits and cover ups- and one beachy dress to eat out.
I will be back to reality as you are leaving out!!!!!

BTW- awesome on your blood work. I however disagree with "fat, dumb, and happy". Happy for sure! definitely not fat, or dumb!!!
I am sure your doctor was happy with the results.

NIC- You should be getting everything lined up for your party tomorrow. Who all is coming? What are you having? Are you doing fireworks? Going to fireworks?
So....wait....now your mom is or isn't still with the guy? Glad however that you are checking on her. What is her age? Didn't you say 60's? Sorta the hippie thing? When are you going?
-------------------------------------------------------
Another hot hot hot and humid day in paradise. They are having festivals all over the island today and tomorrow. Tomorrow is the big fireworks over the island at the pier. It will be a blast.

I am going to confess- the back of my legs are in pain!!!!! tons of walking and more walking. Plus the sweating 10 pounds of sweat- I feel like I have lost a pound or two.

However- there is not a full length mirror in this place. Even the bathroom mirrors are tiny only head shot! ??????? - It's weird.

I didn't sleep real great last night - I got too hot. But I feel pretty good. A little tired. This boy of mine can keep going and going and going- wears me out! He needs someone in his life that can keep up. He had a crush on a gal in his circle of friends. She however doesn't feel the same way. He will make a good mate for someone some day- he is a good kid!

Ok- off to find a Spirit tree!
  #2254   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 08:12

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lori- Glad you are reconnected! Internet is probably the one thing I would be loathe to give up of all the technologies offered.

I'm glad that you are informed enough about blood pressure and such to not feel like you need to be concerned or go on medication. There is a HUGE push for statins. I have read that there is a recommendation that EVERYONE be put on statins whether they are needed or not - I saw one recommendation as low as 40 years old and older. Just absurd. They carry side effects, some quite severe!

Blue- I think you guys have done an ASTONISHING amount of work, especially since a lot of it has been taking place just since your son left. You are kind of making me want to go ahead and get our house painted inside and such. It just sounds so wonderfully neat and clean and new.

Trig- Have a good day with your Mom. Is it hot enough for you? Ugh, dying!!

Jaz- You are going to have an awesome time on the island for the Fourth. Can't wait to hear about it!

How old is your son again? I can't remember even what decade he is in.

I believe you that you are sore from the walking! My left foot is still a little sore from a week ago.

•••••••••••••••••••••

I am joining in with the sea turtle tales-- so when I was turning 40 I gathered a group of my friends to join me at a beach house for a week to ring in the new decade. It was great.. I had a couple of high school friends, a couple of college friends, a couple of friends from when our children were little and I formed a Mom's group, and a couple of friends from my current life, plus another one or two. One of my friend's parents have a house on Vero Beach and they were going to be elsewhere so we were able to use their VERY nice and large house, gratis. BONUS!

So anyway, one evening a few of us put on red-light headbands and went out to the beach. We came across a huge laboring sea turtle, depositing eggs into a nest that she had created. We all gathered around her for a good hour at least, sitting on the sand with her, our hands resting lightly on her giant shell as we listened to her labor and work. I can still hear and feel her breath in my mind's eye. We were completely silent, in communion with her. Finally, she was done and turned to head back out to sea. We walked out with her, and experienced the most amazing luminescence when we rubbed her shell. We watched her go out to sea. It was one of the most spiritual things I have ever experienced and I will never forget it. To experience it with people who mean so much to me made it even more meaningful.

So, with my Mom, there will be no marriage. It is flat over. I don't believe what he is saying but I don't need to. I do feel badly for her as she is experiencing sort of a double whammy of this lost love PLUS he was her first love/first kiss as a ninth grader, their parents knew each other etc, so there are multiple layers of betrayal and loss going on.

That being said, she has the guy she HAD been dating/friends with for a long time in the wings and comments have been made. I don't even know what to say about that, so I will say nothing.

It will be a quiet July 4th for us. DS19 and his GF will be going into DC with her family. I am NOT a big city, crowds girl for big events so I am glad they are going with her family. DS16 is obviously still gone, at camp. DD and Fi will be coming over, we will grill out and use the pool, maybe play a game but it will be pretty chill.

DS19 and GF are using his Christmas gift tonight! I got him (thus, them) good seats to see Sam Smith in DC tonight. DS is a HUGE fan of Sam Smith so I am super excited for him.

It is horribly hot here but I think today is the last day of Horribly Hot before we just go to Damn Hot.

My exercise has been almost null and void while I wait for my left foot to make a full recovery. Dang, I was stupid. lol
  #2255   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 08:52

BF:

Nic....simply love your sea turtle story. What an experience!
  #2256   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 12:07

BF:

NIC- What a BEAUTIFUL STORY.......... Thank you for sharing.
I did see a baby turtle on the beach today- making it's way to the sea!

See pic's- off for some shopping now-
  #2257   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 16:47

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Nic---Just have to join the chorus here. Your Mama turtle story was so gorgeous. What an experience! This is something I label as grace---to witness nature at its most perfect and do so in respectful silence while giving comfort, AND with all those friends from every walkway of your life, just wow. Thanx so much for sharing.

Have you ever read "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy? If not, you are missing one of the best books evah. I bring it up because there's some wonderful scenes of turtle birthing on SC beaches in that book, as well as one of the best most beautifully written stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Trigger---Ginger beer is non-alcoholic, tastes nothing like beer. Like I said, more like ginger ale but with a bite and more intense flavor. Yeah, drinking in the sun always gives me a headache---so I find some shade.

Oh yeah, I bet there's lots to clean out in those barns. Thing is, this is so much work because we didn't do it till we had to either---although I have always gone thru throw away periods on the living floor. But the basement and attic were hubby's storage grounds---in case we needed any of the thousands of things that grew to live there. As I've said, it's one of the few things we have fought over consistently thru the years. Well, Karma is now having it's way with him, LOL. But I have to say, he's standing up it with courage and energy.

How is your one meal a day thing going? This is something I try to do too. Protein shake for breakfast, which I don't have till around 10 or 11, and then nothing till dinner. For a time there I was doing this pretty consistently, now maybe 3 days a week. Would like to get to 4 or 5. When I was doing that, my weight was very steady or I dropped 2 or 3 lbs. More importantly, I felt slimmer and my clothes agreed. However, I won't put up with real hunger or light headedness, so if that hits, I eat a later lunch, but try to keep it small. Lately I've had more work lunches---networking y'know---and that makes it harder. One good thing about the heat, it really reduces my appetite. Same for you?

Lori---Did you find the spirit trees on google? So magical. Jaz sent us a pix of the biggest and best one on St. Simon, but the others are fascinating too.

Hip hip hooray for your blood tests. I bookmarked your post as I need to get in for a physical---which I keep putting off. Have read a lot about when cholesterol is dangerous and when it's not. Particularly the LDL, which is what they always want to slam you on statins for. But there is, just like HDL, good and bad LDL. Good is puffy and floats, bad is hard and beady and sticks to your vascular walls. Bad news is regular blood tests don't show which LDL is driving your numbers. You have to get what's called a VAP test to determine that. Doc's don't want to give it, mostly I think because they don't understand its importance, and most often insurance won't pay for it. Think it costs a couple of hundred bucks, and well worth it, if you ask me.

Makes me crazy and I agree w/Nic---statins are NOT as benign as they make them sound. Why be on any med if you don't need to be? We are STILL so far behind in popular knowledge of cholesterol. Everyone still thinks it's just bad, no matter what. I really liked your assertive and well informed answer to your doc. Although I agree with others, you may be happy, but you sure ain't fat or dumb. But I get it. Quick way to change the subject.

Jaz---Oh my, the pix you sent were so great!!!! Thank you for taking the time. More on this in my return e-mail.

Yeah, pouring water over whatever kind of glass and leaving it in the freezer for a while is both pretty and such a good chill.

Here's another fun thing to do, if you are entertaining. Take a milk carton, pull up it's folded over top so it's a total rectangular shape. Put a bottle of vodka inside. Fill in the corners with water to the top. THEN, and here's the magic, stuff into each of the four corners, slices of lemon and lime, kiwi or strawberries, or all of them. OR flowers, such as zinnias or trumpet vine, or almost anything not too delicate. Freeze whole thing over night. When your guests arrive the next day, take it out of the freezer, and peel off the carton. You are left with a beautiful ice block of flowers and/or fruit around the vodka bottle. Put it on a pretty tray, and next to a variety of mixers guests can choose from. Of course, the vodka doesn't freeze but gets thrillingly chilled and a bit thick. Ice block doesn't last real long, depending on temp, but plenty long for every one to have a drink. It's a real crowd pleaser, and easy and fun to do.

K-mom--- Are you in Washington, or just back? Missing you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After several days of hard work, either on the house, or in my business work, I hit the wall today. Hubby is out of town till tomorrow. I had a few client phone conferences this morning. Had a nice list of what I was going to accomplish on the house today, and was looking forward to doing it w/out anyone else's opinion involved, if ya know what I mean.

But then...I looked at my sofa and my new book, and that was that. It was rainy and windy most of the day, perfect to cozy up. I swear gals, I have two speeds---bat out of hell or slug on the couch, not much in-between.

So I gave into a totally lazy day. Other than those few business things, really didn't do squat. Won't get much done tomorrow either, as we are invited to our pal's 4th of July pool party.

No matter how hard you want to come at this all, or how fast, I find I need a break. Challenge is to not let that break go on and on!

Pretty good day on the woe so far, not perfect. Looking for something to make it a better day for dinner. SIGH. I need to go LC shopping again! Used to do this once a week, need to get back on that plan, Stan. Only thing I can say I ever got out of Girl Scouts, which I loathed BTW (unlike Brownies which was fun) is BE PREPARED. Yep. Must do better at that.
  #2258   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 19:30

BF:

Blue- I agree I NEED to find out about Driftwood beach. It was the most amazing thing I think I have ever seen! Just SO much history here!!!!

Good on you to work like a bat outta hell and collapse with a good book! Good on you!!!! Today was as you saw by the pics- pretty, sunny and hot summer breezes. I totally feel good but still a bit sore from all the walking.

Nic- For some reason I thought you were doing the BIG bash for the 4th. The best parties though can be the small party of even 2!!!!

Lori- So my son signed up for a 5k tomorrow. It was SO random. We were on our way back from the beach and saw a sign on the corner for the race tomorrow. DS is a runner- So I said, son- sign up. And he did. So we will be getting up early tomorrow and I will see him at the finish line. They ask my if I was racing too when we went to sign up. I said "Ya- From My couch to the car" HAHAHAHAHA- so sad.
I am getting blisters on my feet from walking in flip flops for hours.
And the back of my calfs hurt!!!!! I am so outta shape.

Trig- So I take it you have been to the beach camping on Jeckyl Island??? TONS of super camp sites- we drove through just to SEE. What fun!!!
-------------------------------------
So after we got back from the dines/ driftwood island. Son went to the beach and I browsed through some quaint shops in the square. Took my leisure time. No rush. I am slightly sun burned and did not feel like doing the beach or pool. The sun was stinging my skin. I needed a down day.

Was nice....... Found some funky little shops and talked to some locals and people visiting. Just fun. Then I sat at the pier- for a minute- nice wind blowing.

Came back to the condo and played some video games because the son wanted to..... I was (bored)- and now the son is out getting more bottled water and fruit for his race tomorrow.
I sit here happy as a lark and tired, and enjoying a glass of vino and will turn in early.

Such an interesting place! So glad to be here. Reality will come crashing in soon enough- but for right now- this minute...... the world is a great place.

Last edited by Jaz66 : Tue, Jul-03-18 at 19:51.
  #2259   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 04:36

BF:

Good Morning!

Well, we broke down and turned on the A/C in our bedroom last night...it was brutally hot & humid. Slept ok with it running......we'll probably need it for the next couple night's. I think the weather is supposed to break by Friday.

Jaz.....I simply love the look of St. Simon's Island! I have thrown the idea out to my sister for a road trip for the 2 of us. I figured we could drive 1/2 way and spend a couple nights in Virginia Beach and then travel on to St. Simon's. I thought she'd jump on it, but haven't heard back from her. :-( I know she is focused on her upcoming surgery etc. I thought we could do this trip next April or May. We'll see. Your pictures are great and you look fantastic!

I did look up the spirit trees. I would love to get the map and walk around the island finding them. Fun!

Blue...glad you took a down day for yourself. You can only go "full out" for so long and then you have to take a break.

Nic, Trig & Kmom.....

We were quite busy at work yesterday. We must have sold 10 kayaks and with those come the launch permits, paddles etc. I guess everyone wants to go kayaking today for the holiday! We are also selling loads of hunting licenses which are time consuming as we have to log onto the State website to print them. Ugh. Not sure what to expect as far as business today. I have to work 2:30-7:30. We close early today(at 7) and I have to stay to do the deposit etc. I had several phone calls yesterday asking what our hours are today. Good grief.

We had our DGS14 here with us last night. Our son & his wife went to Philadelphia to a baseball game and to stay overnight. This morning DH & DGS14 got up early and have already left with the boat to go fishing. This afternoon they're going to a picnic at a cabin that is owned by our neighbors. Busy day for DH! He'll be a tired boy till tonight.

Happy 4th of July everyone! Have a great day!
  #2260   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 07:26

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Happy 4th everyone. Luckily we are hot hot hot and sunny sunny sunny My kind of perfect weather. omg the pool is just so perfect, sparkling, warm water tho but ok LOL and I am thrilled with this day happening!

Nicco hope that foot is on the mend fast for you!
I am not a big city events person either, I would run the other way from anything like that. Heck more than 2 people in a cash register line to me is 'an event' and I can't even handle that HAHA I avoid big crowds like a plague, but of course every now and then ya have to do it if you want to visit something but most times I can pass by those things.

Sorry on your mom...things will fall into place, quiet down and be cool sooner than later. crap happens in life..

Your turtle story was fab! So cool! Drives hubby crazy for May to Oct he can't put out ALL his lights on the beach to fish way into the night. He has to use red lights etc but he wants his white lights, LOL, but hey, the turtles have to survive

Blue ya had me cracking up....you are a bat out of hell or a couch slug. I kinda know what you mean I don't do like I used to do when younger, I am on a whole new path of how I get thru my days, eh, which is cool to me. go with the flow of it all is what I am saying more now

One meal per day is kinda EH in a way. Hubby still wanting to eat so darn much vs. me. And I kinda got that he is tied like a noose around my neck LOL and it seems I am still grazing and eating more than I want....well more times than I want in a way. It is annoying as heck. I will have to find a way to make this work better with us. His eating schedule is not mine at all yet I am following him a bit and it is not the place for me to be at all but yea, I think a protein shake for you and a one meal deal is a great idea. I can go either way in hot weather...no eating easily then whammo I inhale the whole worlds meals in one sitting

Jazz not a fan of Jekyll Island campground as it is buggy but we never hit that one and probably won't. I went to Jekyll and did a hotel long ago, very very nice area! I know you are having a blast at the beach, great life isn't it? I think so and am striving for that to be my real life sooner than later. I am a coastal gal to the max, ocean all the time and all that goes with it.
Hope your son does well in the race...keep us updated!

Lori I have been doing AC for a long time now. PA gives you alot more options but when it gets hot there it gets hot! I loved Clarks Summit (near Scranton) where I lived for about 7 yrs. but the snow, yikes!

What in heaven's name is a launch permit for a kayak? Never heard of it. I just launch that thing wherever there is water I want to kayak LOL

Have a blast at your party picnic! Picnic means BBQ I hope....great meats for you.

KM--shout out saying HI and hope your 4th is great!

Hey all
today is goofing off til we head to mom's later. swim at the dock in the lake, kayak a bit, doing burgers and hot dogs on the grill only. Barb and grandson was gonna come with us til her sister Pat decided to head there with a few of the kids to swim and visit for the day.....so just us 3 to moms. I got a ton of fireworks from SC when there and will blow off tonight. Bought some big bombs, ahh, love that we can get the big bombs here LOL
Pricey tho darn it....but once a year worth the cash outlay to see some good bombs off the dock right in front of your face

everyone have a fab day
  #2261   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 08:35

BF:

Trig.....In Pennsylvania if you want to launch a kayak, canoe etc at a State run launch, you have to have a permit. If it is on private ground...you don't need one. We have a lot of launch sites along the river that are State run & maintained. I'm sure a lot of people just say the heck with it, but I have heard that there are patrols that will ask to see your permits. You know how it is.....the Gov wants $$ wherever they can get it!
  #2262   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 08:40

BF:

Good Morning-
Check in after the pool/ beach/ ect........ more pictures
  #2263   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 09:49

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all!

Missing all of you. May not be back full force till fall. Lots going on with my family. One particular family is struggling. They have been so good at solving their problems on their now. Now and then they will ask me to do something as a "hearing" person because communication has been hard for them. So that has happened recently. So I am knee deep into something they are going through. I don't mind, but I need to remember to not own it. They are a very nice family and will make it through this.

My trip to Arizona got cancelled. Another hard time in our family. My sister's husband is going through some hard times physically.

Cruise is coming soon! I will send via email the t-shirts I had designed and printed. They arrive July 12th.

Jaz, I will send you my email again. I am not getting the pictures. I got a few that Nic forwarded to me. Thanks, Nic, for doing that!

Woe is going well. Tried capris on this morning! So close! One pair fits now. Others WILL.

K-Mom 10x4
  #2264   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 03:33

BF:

Good Morning!
Today is travel day- check in when I get home. It has been somewhat bittersweet.
Ok- explain later- should be home hopefully by the afternoon late. Back to real life.

have a great day everybody
  #2265   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 04:31

BF:

Good Morning!

Safe travels Jaz! I'm sure you'll be happy to get back to your nest even though St. Simon's was wonderful.

KMom...so glad to see you pop in. Sorry about the hard times your family is experiencing......we never know what life will throw at us.

You would not believe how busy we were at work yesterday! Don't people ever stay home and spend time with their families?? We did close early(7) and there were people coming in at 5 minutes of and the boss stood at the door and let them know that we were closing in a few minutes. Blows my mind. I work tonight 4:45 - 10 and then that's it until 7/15.

We have decided that we're leaving for Myrtle Beach on Saturday. We will drive 1/2 way on Saturday afternoon and then stop for the night and then finish the trip on Sunday. Less stressful this way. We may do the same thing coming home on Thursday....just stay somewhere part of the way. I just have to be home by Friday afternoon as I'm playing in a golf tournament early Saturday morning. Busy!

Hope you all had a nice 4th. Hard to believe we're this far into the summer!
Closed Thread