Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-17, 18:23

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

People can try to sabotage your diet but you are the one who gets to decide whether or not you will rise to the bait.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 05:40
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I love these tips!

Jo you are a wily one.
at wily one... seriously, no one gives a hoot if we're LC or not.

Here's how I see it... if I were deathly allergic to a certain food, would I still eat it b/c I don't want to hurt feelings? Well of course not. And Imma deathly allergic to carbs b/c they mess with my good health and make me FAT...

And I agree 100% with Jean (I usually always do!)...it's really my choice to eat OP or not, no one is holding a gun to my head!

Last edited by Just Jo : Tue, Jun-27-17 at 05:47.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Here's how I see it... if I were deathly allergic to a certain food, would I still eat it b/c I don't want to hurt feelings? Well of course not.

Nor would anyone with half a brain insist that you eat it to be nice. I think that's why no one gives me any pushback on what I don't eat - I have diabetes which is equivalent to being deathly allergic. Besides, most people don't understand what a diabetic diet is, so I've got a lot of freedom there. Even the diabetics I know who "cover" the carbs with insulin - and are in horrible shape - don't argue with me.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:20

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Jo's "later" advice totally works. I will even go as far as to take a small portion on a plate and cover it with a napkin if they are extra annoying and won't let it go. I'll let them see me leave the gathering with it and then toss it as soon as I'm out of sight.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:30
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Nor would anyone with half a brain insist that you eat it to be nice. I think that's why no one gives me any pushback on what I don't eat - I have diabetes which is equivalent to being deathly allergic. Besides, most people don't understand what a diabetic diet is, so I've got a lot of freedom there. Even the diabetics I know who "cover" the carbs with insulin - and are in horrible shape - don't argue with me.
That's wonderful that you don't get any grief over you WOE but I have a sneaky suspicious that you don't really give a crap what people think either way! Their issue, not yours...
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico32
Jo's "later" advice totally works. I will even go as far as to take a small portion on a plate and cover it with a napkin if they are extra annoying and won't let it go. I'll let them see me leave the gathering with it and then toss it as soon as I'm out of sight.
Oh, I like this strategy as well!
WTG, calico! (Hey that rhymes...)
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
That's wonderful that you don't get any grief over you WOE but I have a sneaky suspicious that you don't really give a crap what people think either way! Their issue, not yours...

LOL - you guessed my secret!

I'm so much healthier & happier now that anyone who would tell me I should eat differently - unless they are also lchf & could help me do better - would get short shrift from me.

The greatest saboteur in my life is me - I can't blame anyone else when I eat off plan.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 06:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
The greatest saboteur in my life is me - I can't blame anyone else when I eat off plan.

This is so important to realize. We have to take responsibility for our decisions, good and bad, if we want to be successful.

Jean
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 07:34
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
LOL - you guessed my secret!

I'm so much healthier & happier now that anyone who would tell me I should eat differently - unless they are also lchf & could help me do better - would get short shrift from me.

Sounds like you and I share the same passion for our WOL!

Ditto what Jean said about your statement Bonnie, b/c I know that's the truth for me as well!

Imma gonna save it and quote it with your byline... hope you don't mind!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 07:45

BF:

Quote:
Sounds like you and I share the same passion for our WOL!

Ditto what Jean said about your statement Bonnie, b/c I know that's the truth for me as well!

Imma gonna save it and quote it with your byline... hope you don't mind!

Sure! That's one way to be famous.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Sharing food and giving food as a gift is probly a tradition that is as old as mankind itself. Its a very personal way of giving of your self. Your trying to share the pleasure that food gives you. I don,t think many people mean anything by it they just don,t understand the addiction many of us have to carbs. I can take just one bight without issue but many people fall in face first after just one bight.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 15:48
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
Sharing food and giving food as a gift is probly a tradition that is as old as mankind itself. Its a very personal way of giving of your self. Your trying to share the pleasure that food gives you. I don,t think many people mean anything by it they just don,t understand the addiction many of us have to carbs. I can take just one bight without issue but many people fall in face first after just one bight.
I think that's wonderful that you can take one bite and not be affected by it.

I know for me personally, it can become a slippery slope... one bite leads to another bite, and another...and then a full blown face planting carb-age binge. B/c I am not a moderator.

I follow the original Atkins 1972 and Dr. A said this on page 154

Quote:
A TABLESPOONFUL OF POTATO SALAD CAN SLOW YOU DOWN.

"...if you're off-again-on-again with carbohydrates you'll get nowhere fast.

Those who think, "Well it can't do much harm if I go off the diet just for dinner," are due for a nasty surprise on the scales next morning.

It is my observation that a patient who takes in seventy-five grams of carbohydrate (the amount in one wedge of pecan pie) will gain back two to three pounds.

As the Ketostix will tell you by refusing to change color, even a tablespoonful of potato salad can throw off the entire new fat-burning chemical balance you have been working to achieve."
Basically, I'd be kicking myself out of ketosis, not a good place to be since that means I'll get cravings, possible weight gain, etc...

We all have to know how we're personally affected by eating carbs and what price we are willing to pay to eat them... I've been there, done that and the PRICE is to high to pay, JMO... I'll just stick to staying 100% OP everyday!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 16:23

BF:

Quote:
I know for me personally, it can become a slippery slope... one bite leads to another bite, and another...and then a full blown face planting carb-age binge. B/c I am not a moderator.

I would love to be able to eat a serving of cheese & leave it at that - it doesn't affect my bg. But - I can't leave it at that - I end up binging. Maybe someday.

And amen to your quote from Dr. Atkins - if I eat enough carbs to raise my bg too much at just one meal, it can take days for it to come back down. Non-diabetics might be able to handle cheat meals or days - tho I think it will bite them in the butt one of these days - but diabetics can't do that. Or at least diabetics such as myself with a poorly functioning pancreas & no meds.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-17, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm just kicking back enjoying this and learning how the pros do it!