Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 03:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That insatiable hunger...have to consider leptin resistance in addition to insulin resistance. Probably many on this forum are impacted. Yet so few on the latest "Keto train to crazy town" acknowledge that just eating more fat (and made worse by limiting protein) is the answer for everyone. So I have to add a new twist to the Worst Weight Loss Advice... the Ketogenic Diet when you are obese older woman just trying to lose weight...having a 500 calorie BPC along with a bacon breakfast is the fast track Keto crazy.

See New Dr Westman video on dealing with a stall: https://youtu.be/-pJ_8EP65Mc
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 03:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That insatiable hunger...have to consider leptin resistance in addition to insulin resistance. Probably many on this forum are impacted. Yet so few on the latest "Keto train to crazy town" acknowledge that just eating more fat (and made worse by limiting protein) is the answer for everyone. So I have to add a new twist to the Worst Weight Loss Advice... the Ketogenic Diet when you are obese older woman just trying to lose weight...having a 500 calorie BPC along with a bacon breakfast is the fast track Keto crazy.

See New Dr Westman video on dealing with a stall: https://youtu.be/-pJ_8EP65Mc

What I don't see talked about much is how if you follow a very low carb diet and then restrict your proteins to the degree now often recommended by some low carb "experts" all you are left with is lots and lots of fat to eat. As Dr Westman says if you want to be a fat burner you need to restrict how much fat you eat. If you follow all this advice, low carb, low protein, low fat, you are not left with much to eat. If I treat protein as a condiment as Dr Hyman suggests, or Dr Rosedale suggests, or Dr Mercola suggests, or even Dr Perlmutter suggests, I am left very hungry and unsatisfied. I decided some time back to ignore this "advice". I also don't drink fat.

Mark Sisson had an interesting article yesterday on relying too much on numbers and not paying attention to how our bodies feel.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/stop..._medium=button1

What I like about this article is that it injects some common sense into eating. That is one thing I like about Dr Westman. He uses common sense in his advice. There is no magic, there is no need for excessive testing, just pay attention to how foods effect your ability to reach your goal.

Jean
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-17, 04:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's why I was happy to see your post on Amy Berger's Protein article. No, Protein does not turn into sugar. I've been on a Keto crazy FB page reading the same. It is not necessary to restrict protein unless you need to hit a G:I ratio for metabolic therapy.

Dr Ted Naiman is another doctor with good explanations of protein's role in established successful ways to lose weight. Recently a tweet: The inconvenient truth for some anti-protein people.
Too much * is always better than too little.**
* not even a thing
** definitely a thing