Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 12:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't know if this would help but a few months back I began taking vitamin E which thins the blood and I would hope increases circulation. I also saw an immediate drop in BS from the 90s to the 80s.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 13:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Take some sublingual B12. It might help.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 22:05

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Something could be pressing on nerves leading to hands. Happened to me in my lower leg. I had no pain, just loss of strength. And feeling.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 09:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Something could be pressing on nerves leading to hands. Happened to me in my lower leg. I had no pain, just loss of strength. And feeling.

That does it - I'm getting a dr. appt! I had spinal stenosis that wasn't diagnosed or treated properly for some years - I still have foot numbness & weakness on that side. That's one of the drawbacks of being overweight - too many doctors think all your problems will go away if you just lose some weight!

Hadn't thought of anything similar for the hands.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Great.

I've been suffering from dumbness and tingling and cramping in my right leg including soreness in my right thigh, nighttime cramping of my right shin muscle and the top of my right foot. I finally went in for an "EMG" to test my nerve conduction through that right leg. At first I was unimpressed then the doctor started putting the electrodes on exactly the right spots, one after another. I told him, yes that's it... yes that's the next area... etc. He just kept going through the procedure. He finished and did tell me that he didn't find anything but "maybe you have a problem with your back." My back? That was a thought. I've also had stiffness in my lumbar and tightness that Advil or Aleve would take care of.

Talking around the office, I have a coworker whose wife is a chiropractor. I asked for a recommendation and was referred to a classmate of hers. This chiropractor has been a minor miracle for me. She first started out with an examination, a review of symptoms and an x-ray. The x-ray showed a spinal alignment that looked like a stack of half played jenga sticks. Precise measurements of which joint were off and by how much were shown. The alignment problem went from between my shoulder blades through to my hips. There are two bones that the spine rests on that were off by one and two millimeters. Small but clearly off.

She put me on a 3-3-2-2-1-1 week treatment schedule. Three sessions each the first two weeks and finishing after a total of six weeks. After several interruptions due to business travel I'm finally done. My posture is fantastic and the numbness and cramping are gone. I asked her why I was having problems in those areas I'd seen during the EMG and she opened up an anatomy book and showed me. It was similar to what is shown here, http://diagramanatomy.com/tag/nerve-diagram/ The path you could be describing could originate from a particular pinched nerve.

All in all I was very, very reluctant to visit a chiropractor. I had heard the stories describing indefinite treatment schedules and a voodoo like approach to medicine. However I found that for my case, with my chiropractor, the results were excellent and my concerns invalid.

Of course I think it's a good idea to visit a doctor first.

Last edited by inflammabl : Sat, Jan-07-17 at 13:34.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 12:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Glad you are scheduling visit.
Weakness cam absolutely be a sign of nerve damage. That crazy disease gulls in barre I had attacks the nerve,s myelin sheath. First I felt weakness in my legs, until they ultimately stopped working at all (paralysis). As I recovered, the dr did many tests over and over to monitor my strength gains in various muscle groups.

As others mentioned, vit b can help- but it's B1 that allows absorption of other B's. Most people take B12 if looking for a B.
I also take E, D, and magnesium.
When I run low on magnesium, I feel my hands and face tingle, and my hands "clamp" into fist. I wouldn't describe it as loss of strength, though.

I also wonder if a nerve could be pinched- is it both hands?
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 14:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Excessive use of the mouse and resting my wrists on the edge of my laptop can make my hands numb. The tablet is not much better; too much of the swiping motion causes pain and nerve pinching in my elbows. I have to take time outs, which is probably a good thing as too much couch-sitting causes leg tingling below my mid-thighs, right where they rest on the edge of the couch/chair seat. On days I stay off the computer I have no tingling/numbness anywhere.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 16:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have done wonders for my bad knee and hip with posture exercises known as the Egoscue Method. You can do them at home and they feel fantastic.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-17, 19:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have done wonders for my bad knee and hip with posture exercises known as the Egoscue Method. You can do them at home and they feel fantastic.

I can vouch for this, as outlined in "Pain Free: a Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain" by Pete Egoscue and Roger Gittnes. The exercises are neither difficult nor complicated. Thanks for reminding me to blow the dust off this book and "get back with the program"

Doreen
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 10:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Did you ever get that appointment, Bonnie? You really need some tests done IMO- for example, if it is magnesium- it can lead to a racing heart beat and eventually cardiac arrest. Diabetics often have trouble maintaining magnesium levels.
If it is neuropathy, there are various treatments and drugs. Even simple things like walking can help with neuropathy in feet- I would assume moving hands would help hands- it is simply increasing circulation. Electro stimulators help some patients, etc.....

If the issue is a compressed nerve, they can fix that, too. Bone can be shaved away so it isn't pushing against that nerve- it's much less invasive than it sounds!

Hope you get an answer soon.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 10:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The excellent book Sugar Crush explains why high blood sugar is so bad for our nervous system.

The inflammation it causes makes tissues swell, and literally crushes our nerves.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Did you ever get that appointment, Bonnie?

No - it's been a heck of a winter (I'd use a stronger word but I don't know if it's allowed!). It seems that just about everything that could go wrong has.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 07:11

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

I didn't see any mention of carpal tunnel syndrome, can cause tingling, loss of feeling and los of trength in the hands....
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 08:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Sugar Crush book WearBear mentioned above explains Carpal Tunnel as another inflammation caused by excess sugar (not overuse)

How inflammation leads to compression of nerves...a good example is the wrist, where the neuro-vascular bundle (artery, vein, nerve) passes through a narrow, boney tunnel. Compression in this tight area leads to hand pain, tingling, restricting blood flow to nerves.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-17, 08:26

BF:

Years ago I had carpel tunnel (at least that's what the doc said) but it went away. Even tho I'm not feeling pain - except for some slight achiness - maybe that's it. I'm on the computer a lot. And if it's related to high bg then maybe that's why it doesn't hurt - my diet is way better than it was!