Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: moderately LC, HF, LP
Stats: 149/143/143 Male 170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Always ~ teaser. Details on my previous statements after having checked.

I confirm that my 'reasonable' values are based upon the histogram (non parametric distribution) and not the lognormal. They rule out the tails of the parametric distribution, that is the extreme behaviours.
reasonable LB= 70 mgN-kg-1d-1 = 0.44 g kg-1 d-1
reasonable UB= 160 mgN-kg-1d-1 = 1.0 g kg-1 d-1

My previous estimate was that 90% of the data are included within those bounds, now, how many exactly?
n=235, The number of values outside the range, counting the number of values each bin = 25 (pls check my calcs if possible).

25/235= 0.11 = 11% , hence 100%-11%= 89%, practically equal to my previous quick-look estimate of 90% .

Again, table one uses a parametric model, based on the lognormal distribution fitted upon the non histogram. So the range here is more restricted than the histogram range.

If we use the lognormal distribution as reference, my statement , answerign to mushymindy, should be rewritten like this:
Quote:
The complete, honest answer according to the WHO, 2002 study is that, with about 100% certainty (absolute certainty), your minimum requirement will probably be something within the range of 25 to 56 grams of proteins.

And I absolutely agree that using the lognormal would be a benefit sicne we have a narrower range, hence a more precise determination.
continues next.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

More recent review of suggestions to the OP, mushymind, after the comments from teaser.
Pls also note that in my previous calculations I entered an ideal weight of 55.7 instead of 57.5 (rigth number) I have corrected that in my calc sheets. the mistake did nto affect much the output though.

we are now going to use the lognormal WHO distribution with the percentiles of requirements indicated in table 1. As a lower bound we may use 2.5% (83 mgN), upper bound 97.5% (133 mgN). This rules out the bilateral 5% population extremes or +- 2SD from the mean. The revised answer to mushymindy, reasoning on the parametric distribution:

Quote:
The complete, honest answer according to the WHO, 2002 study, parametric distribution model, is that, with about 95% certainty (+-2 SD from the mean), your minimum requirement will probably be something within the range of 30 to 48 grams of proteins daily.

Such a range is more useful since more narrow, but does not yield absolute certainty according to the WHO, 2002 data.

No significant exercise, no pregnancy, no lactation assumed.
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 15:55
Registered Member

BF:

Next development in this thread I think might be to look for some more specific populations, that is studies on samples from populations eating a low carbs diet. I don't know if there are any.
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 16:19
Registered Member

BF:

This is interesting: strenght athletes do not need those many proteins more than general propulation. An example of improved utilization from teh body when needed.

Quote:
Nutrition. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(7-8):689-95.
Protein requirements and supplementation in strength sports.
Phillips SM1.
Author information
Abstract
Daily requirements for protein are set by the amount of amino acids that is irreversibly lost in a given day. Different agencies have set requirement levels for daily protein intakes for the general population; however, the question of whether strength-trained athletes require more protein than the general population is one that is difficult to answer. At a cellular level, an increased requirement for protein in strength-trained athletes might arise due to the extra protein required to support muscle protein accretion through elevated protein synthesis. Alternatively, an increased requirement for protein may come about in this group of athletes due to increased catabolic loss of amino acids associated with strength-training activities. A review of studies that have examined the protein requirements of strength-trained athletes, using nitrogen balance methodology, has shown a modest increase in requirements in this group. At the same time, several studies have shown that strength training, consistent with the anabolic stimulus for protein synthesis it provides, actually increases the efficiency of use of protein, which reduces dietary protein requirements. Various studies have shown that strength-trained athletes habitually consume protein intakes higher than required. A positive energy balance is required for anabolism, so a requirement for "extra" protein over and above normal values also appears not to be a critical issue for competitive athletes because most would have to be in positive energy balance to compete effectively. At present there is no evidence to suggest that supplements are required for optimal muscle growth or strength gain. Strength-trained athletes should consume protein consistent with general population guidelines, or 12% to 15% of energy from protein.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:

An example on how views can differ. I'd be curious to see the dataset and the rationale, if they are suggesting a minimum requirement or a safe requirement. According to Dr. rosedale, the requirements for sarcopenia are estimated in high-carb individuals, where bone proteins are preferentially burned. Low carbers would not suffer such a condition.

Quote:
Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 2016, 41(5): 565-572, 10.1139/apnm-2015-0550

ABSTRACT

Substantial evidence supports the increased consumption of high-quality protein to achieve optimal health outcomes. A growing body of research indicates that protein intakes well above the current Recommended Dietary Allowance help to promote healthy aging, appetite regulation, weight management, and goals aligned with athletic performance. Higher protein intakes may help prevent age-related sarcopenia, the loss of muscle mass, and strength that predisposes older adults to frailty, disability, and loss of autonomy. Higher protein diets also improve satiety and lead to greater reductions in body weight and fat mass compared with standard protein diets, and may therefore serve as a successful strategy to help prevent and/or treat obesity. Athletes can also benefit from higher protein intakes to maximize athletic performance given the critical role protein plays in stimulating muscle protein remodelling after exercise. Protein quality, per meal dose, and timing of ingestion are also important considerations. Despite persistent beliefs to the contrary, we can find no evidence-based link between higher protein diets and renal disease or adverse bone health. This brief synopsis highlights recent learnings based on presentations at the 2015 Canadian Nutrition Society conference, Advances in Protein Nutrition across the Lifespan. Current evidence indicates intakes in the range of at least 1.2 to 1.6 g/(kg·day) of high-quality protein is a more ideal target for achieving optimal health outcomes in adults.
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 16:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

With muscle, my understanding is that in one sense, working out will decrease the requirement--it will take less protein to be in nitrogen balance. But eating above this requirement may be necessary if you are increasing muscle mass--the amount of protein you can benefit from by muscle growth goes up, not necessarily the maintenance requirement. Heavier exercise that blows through a lot of calories can increase the protein requirement due to increases in protein catabolism. Brad Pilon at EATSTOPEAT has suggested that it's possible that say if you ate X amount of protein, and grew this much faster than if you ate 3/4's of that, you might just plateau sooner, you might just end up in the same place anyways, and just take a bit longer.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 16:53
Registered Member

BF:

After about 1 hour of google search I found no more specific reference. Besides, the WHO 2002 study appears to be the reference used by official agencies with minor variations.

Next development at this point, unless you guys can fidn something else, would be to examine the dataset at table 8 , page 107 of the WHO report.

At a quick look, it appears that the dataset is biased toward younger individuals and male individuals.
Diets are varied and sure usually different from LC.

Are the results drawn for a max 30 years old population valid for older guys? Many datasets contain 18 years old individuals.

I don't know what a possible correction would be for older people. Maybe nothing proably no greter need, maybe less.

So far, that's the best data available and they say basically that minimum protein requirements are pretty low and that there is a wide individual variability in the requirements.

If we want be sure that we eat no less proteins than suggested that's easy, but if we want to be sure that we eat the zero-nitrogen balance (optimum) amount that's not easy at all. The safe quantity strategy may not be compatible with the mTOR inactivation strategy (longevity).

The procedure adopted in previous posts is the best that I can come up with right now. It would be very good to have ways to determine the zero-balance points for each different person.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 17:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
With muscle, my understanding is that in one sense, working out will decrease the requirement--it will take less protein to be in nitrogen balance. ...

Yes, that's an interesting and maybe counterintuitive point, although it makes some sense that muscles when in exercise becoem more efficient in feeding themselves.

Muscle growth definitely needs more proteins, probably not the huge amounts some bodybuilders gulp down but many anyway. Also, many proteins will definitely will activate mTOR with its anabolic effect.

Professional bodybuilding is not very compatible with health and longevity. Especially so if we consider the amount sof steroids and other hormones they use.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 18:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy_3000
a quick look at the non-parametric distribution (the hystogram) sans outliers and estimating approximate percentiles from it.

So I have a philosophical disagreement with this approach in general. I know that if one wants to make evidence based decisions that statistics helps. It's turns data into facts. Data is ambiguous. Facts are clear. I get that. Unfortunately when applied to humans, saning the outliers should never be done. It's wrong in principle. We are all outliers. (Each in our own special way?)

Policy people hate it when I say things like that. I know. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. "I don't have time to understand all that...." "You aren't explaining it well...." "You're not really helping" "So what all that comes down to is this....., right?" "Well we have to do something......" or my favorite, "I had to simplify it." which is the worst because they understood the detail and deliberately dumbed it down. Doesn't say much for decision makers when their best people think they have to dumb things down for them, right?

So if we are not going to take a statistical approach, if we don't care what the mean and the variance are because we know we are more likely to be outside of +/- 1 sigma rather than in it (too often the case, seriously) then what do we do? Well we can look at the symptoms of insufficient protein like cracking nails, hair falling out, muscle weakness, lasting soreness after exercise, etc. etc. We can also up our protein intake with protein shakes, etc. and see if it has a positive effect. I think that's a better approach.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy_3000
After about 1 hour of google search I found no more specific reference. Besides, the WHO 2002 study appears to be the reference used by official agencies with minor variations.

Everyone has agendas. No one pays for a study who doesn't want to do something with it. My guess is that they just wanted to know how many beans to fly into the next starving country.

Quote:
At a quick look, it appears that the dataset is biased toward younger individuals and male individuals.... Many datasets contain 18 years old individuals.

Many exercise and nutrition studies are based on Olympic level athletes.

Quote:
The procedure adopted in previous posts is the best that I can come up with right now. It would be very good to have ways to determine the zero-balance points for each different person.

We agree 100%.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-16, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
So I have a philosophical disagreement with this approach in general. I know that if one wants to make evidence based decisions that statistics helps. It's turns data into facts. Data is ambiguous. Facts are clear. I get that. Unfortunately when applied to humans, saning the outliers should never be done. It's wrong in principle. We are all outliers. (Each in our own special way?)
So if we are not going to take a statistical approach, if we don't care what the mean and the variance are because we know we are more likely to be outside of +/- 1 sigma rather than in it (too often the case, seriously) then what do we do? Well we can look at the symptoms of insufficient protein like cracking nails, hair falling out, muscle weakness, lasting soreness after exercise, etc. etc. We can also up our protein intake with protein shakes, etc. and see if it has a positive effect. I think that's a better approach.

Really, the issue of the outliers has always been a tricky one. In the Who's study the histogram includes all data (individuals), whereas we may say that the long RHS tail of the lognormal is representative of those extremes events (extreme need of proteins). Are those extreme representative of the biological laws governing minimum proteins requirement or not. If not, they might be analysed with the statistics of extreme events, used in the meteorological sciences and many other fields.

There is another crucial issue.
If our target is to be safe from negative nitrogen balance, that is not to eat less than the minimum probabilistic requirement, then it's enough to eat the 100% percentile, that is what the RHS outliers eat. Easy solution.
On the contrary, if we assume that too much protein can have adverse effects, and there is a desirable value to target, for example to keep the mTOR pathway inhibited, then we cannot use the safest strategy and must try to determine our own individual requirement.
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 18:08
Registered Member

BF:

Are these guys right??? I have no access to the complete paper

Quote:
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2010 Jan;13(1):52-7. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e328332f9b7.
Evidence that protein requirements have been significantly underestimated.
Elango R1, Humayun MA, Ball RO, Pencharz PB.
Author information
Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
This review discusses recent evidence that suggests a significant underestimation of protein requirements in adult humans.
RECENT FINDINGS:
Traditionally, total protein requirements for humans have been determined using nitrogen balance. The recent Dietary Reference Intake recommendations for mean and population-safe intakes of 0.66 and 0.8 g/kg/day, respectively, of high-quality protein in adult humans are based on a meta-analysis of nitrogen balance studies using single linear regression analysis. We reanalyzed existing nitrogen balance studies using two-phase linear regression analysis and obtained mean and safe protein requirements of 0.91 and 0.99 g/kg/day, respectively. The two-phase linear regression analysis is considered more appropriate for biological analysis of dose-response curves. Considering the inherent problems associated with the nitrogen balance method, we developed an alternative method, the indicator amino acid oxidation technique, to determine protein requirements The mean and population-safe requirements in adult men were determined to be 0.93 and 1.2 g/kg/day and are 41 and 50%, respectively, higher than the current Dietary Reference Intakes recommendations.
SUMMARY:
The indicator amino acid oxidation-based requirement values of 0.93 and 1.2 g protein/kg/day and the reanalysis of existing nitrogen balance studies are significantly higher than current recommendations. Therefore, there is an urgent need to reassess recommendations for protein intake in adult humans.
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-16, 18:12
Registered Member

BF:

I have my doubts now. An n=8 study, with individuals fed not real food but a crystalline aminoacids mixture. Very arguable applicability to real life. The WHo study is n=235 and real food.

Quote:
Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Oct;86(4):995-1002.
Reevaluation of the protein requirement in young men with the indicator amino acid oxidation technique.
Humayun MA1, Elango R, Ball RO, Pencharz PB.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The current estimated protein requirements are based on the nitrogen balance method, which has many limitations. An alternate approach is needed to permit a reevaluation of protein requirements.
OBJECTIVE:
The objective was to determine protein requirements in men by using the indicator amino acid oxidation technique.
DESIGN:
Eight healthy men randomly received graded protein intakes (0.10, 0.30, 0.60, 0.90, 1.2, 1.5 and 1.8 g kg(-1) d(-1)) as a crystalline amino acid mixture along with L-[1-(13)C]phenylalanine. The mean protein requirement was determined by applying a biphase linear regression crossover analysis on F(13)CO(2) data, which identified a breakpoint at the minimal rate of appearance of (13)CO(2) to graded protein intakes.
RESULTS:
The mean and population-safe (recommended dietary allowance; RDA) protein requirements were found to be 0.93 and 1.2 g kg(-1) d(-1), respectively. These requirements are comparable with those estimated by the application of a biphase linear regression model to the data from nitrogen balance studies (0.91 and 1.0 g kg(-1) d(-1), respectively). These requirements are 41% and 50% higher than the current recommendations for the estimated average requirement (EAR) of 0.66 g kg(-1) d(-1) and the RDA of 0.80 g kg(-1) d(-1), as determined by applying a linear regression model where it intersects the zero balance line.
CONCLUSION:
The indicator amino acid oxidation technique defined a protein requirement that is comparable with that estimated by the application of a biphase linear regression model to nitrogen balance data in the literature. Our data and the reanalysis of the preexisting nitrogen balance data suggest that the current recommended protein requirements are too low and require reassessment.
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 11:19

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Probably 1-1/2 - 2 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass is the going rate. Age and activity level are factors with both of these on the higher end of protein consumption.
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 11:38

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%