Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-16, 12:29

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Probably the last of the good days for now, but I didn't have it in me to drive for an hour then do a 10 mile hill walk. Wish I had a chauffeur sometimes!

So, I managed a circuit of the Village at 7:30 when it was already hot, some shopping (without resorting to getting from A to B via Z) and going up and down the yard doing a bit of gardening.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 14:58

BF:

Much the same as yesterday. A circuit round the Village before 9 and then into town. Just a dentist visit today, so I parked at the other side of town.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-16, 09:05

BF:

Felt like a "proper" walk today, but not too much as I have to save myself for a walk with B. tomorrow, and lots to do preparing to go away. As it was still, dry and cloudy I opted to repeat Saturday's walk thinking that it would be less hazy and even better views.

Nobody else in the car park; a lady was cleaning the toilets and I saw the same National Trust worker, this time litter picking.

Shortly after starting out at 9 I decided to do the walk the other way round, which meant the steeper climb up the "grassy staircase" to start and an easier descent on the main path which would be kinder on the ancient knees and allow me to lift my eyes from my feet and enjoy the stunning views up the lake.

Most of the cloud had burned away and it was hot. I was disappointed that I had to take short rests on the up, every 150 paces or so. I am not doing enough climbs.

It took me over an hour to reach the summit and just over 2 hours to do the whole thing. I'll keep at it until I can do it all non-stop and in under 2 hours.

When I got back to the car park the National Trust guy was manning the coffee kiosk, so we chatted while I got my black coffee. He said he was thinking of doing the Ullswater Way on his day off. 21 miles of footpath right round the lake. Hmmm ... At least there are lots of places to catch a bus if you throw in the towel.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-16, 09:29

BF:

A brisk trip round the Village in the early morning fog, then a walk with B. up Melmerby Fell, also with just enough visibility to navigate safely. Hills and ridges nearby came in and out of view, looking mysterious in the mist, but we did not waste any time admiring the Lake District skyline! Unlike recent walks in this area we visited the actual summit which is south of the impressive stone cairn and shelter. The whole circuit contains not a yard of road so quite demanding, including some pathless moorland.

Last edited by Ambulo : Sat, Jun-11-16 at 12:36.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-16, 12:35

BF:

After a 4.5 hour drive to Shropshire I arrived in Carding Mill valley. It was too early to go to the holiday cottage, so I pottered about walking to the reservoir and beyond, then up to the place the path to the waterfall diverges from the main path. Then a walk into town to get some supplies took me over 10,000.
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 10:05

BF:

All that walking in the cold and wet last winter paid off.

When I got up this morning it was dull and had obviously rained hard overnight. By the time I was putting boots on in the conservatory I could hear rain hammering on the glass roof but I went out anyway . One of my favourite shorter walks in the area and I enjoyed it even if the swirling cloud on the tops meant I did not get the best views. My gear is not wholly waterproof, but as long as I can keep moving I am OK (which is why I don't like group rambles so much, they are always stopping no matter the weather).

Later in the day F., G. and I drove a little further west and did another walk across the rolling hills and pastures, and the heavens opened several times on this one, plus we had to walk through deep crop and pasture which was thoroughly soaked, so we were too. The sun came out as we reached the end.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-16, 15:35

BF:

I had already reluctantly abandoned my Plan A to drive over to Clun and do one of the 3 outstanding (as in, I haven't done them yet) walks from the book. Plan B was to join 2 shorter walks from here into an 8-miler, but even that bit the dust when it was clear I would be doing it in a monsoon. I found my way to the top of the golf course, and eventually the correct route down to the next valley, but things were a little fuzzy up there,because of all the water on the brain. On reaching the valley floor I decided not to go on to the next valley but to return to the start by a different, lower route. This turned out to be very pretty.

As the cafe was half an hour from opening I decided the best thing would be to drive to another town for coffee with the heating on full blast. I was only slightly damp when I got there, so I wandered about under a golf umbrella. It never really stopped raining so I did not pay a visit to the priory ruins.

After my friends had had lunch, we all went through the woods over to Carding Mill valley and did a walk similar to mine of Saturday. It was warm and almost dry throughout.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-16, 15:19

BF:

Plan A is still out of the question but I was resolute that nothing would deter me from Plan B. I slept longer this morning and started out around 9.

Up through Rectory Wood and down into Carding Mill Valley it was fine, then hot and sunny. Climbing out of Carding Mill Valley it was too hot to wear my jacket and I started worrying about the fact I had no sun hat and nothing with which to cover my bare arms. And was I carrying enough water? But by the time I descended into Batch Valley it was raining.

The rain got harder as I climbed out of it and on Plush Hill reached downpour level. As I went down the path into Gog Batch my trousers were soaked, my sleeves were wet. Fortunately my feet were dry and felt lovely and warm - it is worth spending £15 on a pair of socks. Streams of water ran down the steep, twisting roads. Then, lower down the valley, the rain throttled back to just raining. By the time I climbed out it had almost stopped and I started to dry out as I approached All Stretton.

There was an interlude of warm sunshine, and if I had come back by the direct route I would have missed the second downpour but no, I had to poke about lanes and alleyways in search of shortcuts.

Later F. and I strolled through Rectory Wood into Carding Mill Valley to have tea in the National Trust cafe, which is turning into a routine.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 14:59

BF:

Again a morning walk through Rectory Wood, Carding Mill Valley and then round Nover Hill and back along Madeira Walk.

Then a day trip to Ludlow during which we toured Ludlow Castle and climbed every winding stone staircase in the ruins, I walked around the castle walls twice, down to the river at Dinham Bridge twice and walked from Dinham Bridge to Ludford Bridge and back.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 15:57

BF:

Today was a playful day. It started when the cloud lifted above the trees and I could see the pole on Ragleth Hill from the living room window. Up by Rectory Woods and past the Longmynd Hotel. I spent some time exploring the waymarked paths in Allen Coppice which the owners of the hotel kindly let the general public use. I tried to walk all the paths without retracing my steps too often. This coincided with a rainy interlude and was a sheltered place to spend time.

It was drying up as I pressed on up the Hundred Steps and across to Carding Mill Valley for a black coffee. Still fine, so I took the higher path along to the Reservoir, and came back along the other side of the stream taking a sharp right to climb the steep hillside, thinking that I was bound to hit the Burway road eventually. I did, sooner than expected, so instead of turning back I found a track parallel to it that took me higher.

I felt it was not the day to go to the very top, so when I came to the head of a valley on my left, I crossed it and climbed diagonally across the hillside opposite. I soon realised that I was not as far east as I had supposed, and heading east from the next hill just took me to a slope far too steep to descend safely, so I retraced my steps and descended in a northerly direction which brought me back to the boundary of Rectory Wood.

The weather was still decent and I was not ready to call it a day, so I followed the path up the valley by Townbrook until I reached the highest point I had reached on the Burway, then walked all the way down the road.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 07:53

BF:

Again delayed departure until after 9, using the pole on Ragleth Hill as my guide. Made my way to Carding Mill Valley and climbed up the steep hillside opposite the National Trust cafe which eventually put me on the top of Bodbury Hill. Continued along this side of the valley over Haddon Hill then followed the track which swung left to descend by Mott' s road (not a real road). I was at the cafe by 11 but my friends were not, so after a pot of tea I came back.

After putting them on a train I drove to Little Stretton in search of somewhere to leave my car so I could walk up Ashes Hollow without adding in the path between Church Stretton and Little Stretton, delightful though this is. No luck. Probably a good thing as I need to conserve energy for the packing and drive home tomorrow. And there have been several heavy showers this afternoon.

Farewell Longmynd, my lovely adventure playground!
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-16, 14:40

BF:

Back home at lunchtime, got all my steps on a brisk road walk from home, just over 4 miles.
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 12:25

BF:

I brought the bad weather north with me from Shropshire.

Today was stage 10 of the Eden Wheel and it began grey and damp. The forecast for the hill we were climbing almost to the top of was fog, mist and drizzle. We climbed very gradually, passing the source of the River South Tyne, then crossing the Tees and following it up onto moorland. I could not decide if it would be better in clear weather to see how far and high we had to go from the radar installation on the top of the fell, or to see a succession of ridges with ragged mist drifting across them. Eventually we were trudging into a strong wind.

It was a relief to reach our highest point and a metalled road and progress more quickly down out of the cloud and into more sheltered territory. Still not much of a view. We struck off the road and crossed a pathless, tussocky area and then reached the Pennine Way, which we followed down to Dufton. This was a nice path passing through woodland. By now it was raining hard.
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 12:39

BF:

Monday = Carlisle. Shopping, did not push for extra steps, but got there anyway.

This was fortunate as I was expecting to meet with B. in the afternoon and probably go jogging. We did not go and I was not sorry as I feel rather tired today. I am sorry that the reason we did not go was that she had a silly accident in her home and broke a bone in her foot.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 12:41

BF:

Shopping in town this morning. Visited B. who is not too uncomfortable and hobbling carefully around her house. A circuit of the Village was needed to get me up to target and when I got back I opened my eating window.