Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 11:50

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Walked from Euston station to Finsbury Park with a very heavy rucksack
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-16, 09:23

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 1 - Woolwich to Grove Park

"The Capital Ring is a 78-mile circular footpath seeking out a hidden corridor of green space around inner London. One of Transport for London's officially designed walking routes, it takes in the capital's parks, woodlands, towpaths, river banks and historic cemeteries".

I scarcely know London, but I have a friend who lives there - so I am staying there and with the help of the excellent guide by Colin Saunders and the Transport for London website which tells me how to get to the start and end of each day's stages negotiating the underground and overground lines, I am undertaking this magical mystery tour.

Setting off with the commuters at 7.30, today had a lot of wow factors as the Dockland Light Railway passed Canary Wharf and the Millennium Dome, and as I set off along the south bank of the Thames I could see the Shard, the Gherkin and the Thames Barrier. Then it was miles of lovely quiet parks on a warm sunny morning. Tea shops too.

9.7 miles on the route, 1.2 miles to walk to the start and end of the routes, plus getting from where I am staying to Finsbury Park station and back.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-16, 09:54

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 2 - Grove Park to Crystal Palace

7.7 miles plus 0.4 miles of links to stations.

Warm and sunny today. Again parks and woodland, but also more of the leafy suburbs. My friend accompanied me today. We are walking to the nearby Indian restaurant for dinner this evening.

Highlight of the day was seeing the stone dinosaurs in Crystal Palace Park. I remember pictures of these in books I had as a child.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-16, 10:32

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 3 - Crystal Palace to Wimbledon Park

Into every life a little rain must fall - including mine. I felt quite at home at the start of this stretch because it was grey, the pavements were wet, there was light rain and the streets were hilly. Then it brightened up for the pretty bits of Norwood Grove, Streatham Common, Tooting Bec Common, and Wandsworth Common. I regretted a tea stop here, because it started raining again as I left the cafe, and twenty minutes after that it was pouring.

At least I was on tarmac all the way, I am a bit apprehensive about tomorrow on the dirt tracks.

9.6 miles on the route plus a 0.4 mile link to Wimbledon Park station.

Last edited by Ambulo : Sun, Apr-17-16 at 09:43.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 10:02

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 4 - Wimbledon Park to Osterley Lock

I was up early and got to Wimbledon Park gates at 08:21 - only to discover that they would be unlocked at 9. It was too damp and cold to hang about, so I walked to the other end by road, passing the famous All England Tennis Club grounds on the way. I then walked through the park to the entrance I wanted to go in 50 minutes earlier to continue the route, nothing if not obsessive!

On into Putney Heath where a park run was in progress, hundreds of them, not to mention all the joggers doing their own thing. Wonder if any of them will be in the London Marathon next week. Then through Richmond Park. I have never seen so many deer before. After this the route goes downhill to meet the Thames, which I said goodbye to on Wednesday, at Petersham, and stays with the Thames for miles. Last bit was on a towpath, past several locks, eventually going under the M4 motorway. Pretty, but being beneath the Heathrow flight path did this stretch no favours.

11 miles plus 0.5 miles link to the start and end stations.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 09:39

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 5 - Osterley Lock to South Kenton

I was on the tube by 7:15 and out at Boston Manor Station by 8:15 to start walking. Sunny, but cool that early in the morning. Back to the M4 and then continuing along the towpath by the Grand Union Canal. Much prettier in sunshine. Then followed the river Brent north into Ealing. A lack of facilities on this leg of the walk made me very grateful to find a McDonald's on the edge of the Westway Cross Shopping Park and I enjoyed basking in the sunshine sipping a black coffee sitting out on their decking.

On to rejoin the canal and then up Horsenden Hill where I got to tap the top of a trig point, like the peak-bagger I am, but then a very muddy descent towards Harrow station. Another refreshment stop on the main street of Harrow on the Hill before descending through the buildings of the famous public school and crossing their playing fields to the only stile on the entire walk. Then across Northwick Park to the station at South Kenton.

10.4 miles with 0.5 mile links to stations at start and end.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 10:04

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 6 - South Kenton to Finsbury Park

The original plan for today was to go as far as Highgate, but my friend said it would be crazy for me to get the tube back here from Highgate as it was only around 2 miles, so what was to have been an 11.5 mile day became 13.7, with a 0.4 mile extra from the Path to Finsbury Park underground. Plus point, only 6.9 miles to do tomorrow and no tube journey first thing.

I started walking just after 8 and picked up a black coffee to go on Preston High Street. Bright and sunny and the most beautiful part was early on in Fryent Country Park, where I encountered another trig point on Barn Hill (282'). Today is the 80th birthday of the trig point, and the BBC News App had a feature on them.

Unfortunately, apart from the higher parts of Barn Hill, which also had a lovely little pond which I enjoyed in solitude, this park had the soggiest fields and the muddiest woodland paths I have encountered anywhere and I was anxious that I would not make up the time I had lost picking my way slowly across it. I had a lunch date in Queens Wood, Highgate, at 1 pm. I was glad that the next waterside path, by Brent Reservoir, was tarmac. Around this time it clouded over.

I tried to find something to love about Hendon, but failed. A very long trudge along Park Road led eventually to the North Circular, and it was hard to appreciate the beauties of Brent Park and the Dollis Valley Greenwalk with that racket nearby.

After more trudge to East Finchley I was glad to get into Highgate Wood (crushed stone paths) and then Queen' s Wood. Made lunch with 15 minutes to spare, and
afterwards we walked a few miles down to the end of the Parkland Walk and it brightened up.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-16, 10:01

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 7 - Finsbury Park to Hackney Wick

The shortest day - 6.9 miles plus 0.4 miles link to and from stations.

Somehow today felt more urban; hemmed in. After crossing Finsbury Park I was mostly by water - the New River, reservoirs, the Lea river. Easy walking, mostly flat, not muddy. The prettiest bit was the Abney Park Cemetery which contains the tomb of Salvation Army founder William Booth and his wife Catherine, and other early Salvation Army luminaries. The sun was shining.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 13:00

BF:
Default Capital Ring Day 8 - Hackney Wick to Woolwich

My friend came with me today which I was glad of as a good part of it was maddening. Started off by returning to the path by the Lea River, but after the Olympic Stadium there was a short diversion onto the Greenway, and after that a diversion which started off as described in the book, but which went on much longer than it should and involved a lot of unlovely streets in Stratford. Even the diversion signs were misleading as they tried to lure us the wrong way down Stratford High Street, built on a hell-mouth. The reason for the diversions? The development of the Crossrail network.

Eventually they let us back onto the Greenway (which is built on top of a sewer by the bye) and we diverted ourselves off it briefly in search of lunch in Plaistow. Shortly after that the Path left the Greenway and headed south through a park (nice bit), to the George V Dock and the University of East London. A very winding path to the river and around the docks, and finally the Woolwich Foot Tunnel. We could have taken the ferry, but I wanted to be able to say I had walked under the Thames. Up the steps at the other side and a few more yards to the big signpost and The End. Yay me!!

8.6 miles plus 1.1 miles of links to stations at each end.

PS I will probably do the London LOOP next time I come - same idea but further out into the rural periphery, 150 miles.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 12:17

BF:

Walked from Finsbury Park to Euston station with a very heavy rucksack.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 11:39

BF:

Back home and Spring has broken out. Keeping the step count modest for a few days. 4 mile road walk from my gate.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 12:50

BF:

Still taking it easy. A meandering shopping route in town, a visit to the post box and the shorter loop round the Village got me over the threshold.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-16, 11:37

BF:

Deck the halls with hunks of holly, tralalalala lalalala
'Tis the season to be jolly, tralalalala lalalala ...

Well it was snowing quite hard when I did my walk round the village at 8:15, though it did not lay.

By the time my friend and I set off from Sainsbury's to walk out to a nearby village for coffee it had stopped and the sun was trying to come out.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-16, 09:30

BF:

Carlisle again: purposeful shopping; aimless wandering.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-16, 12:20

BF:

To and from the Stone Circle this morning.