Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 20:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey Ken!

Wow, I think it's fabulous that you are challenging yourself to a 10K!

As always, I'll be here cheering you ONWARD!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-16, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: General LCHF
Stats: 318/214/195 Male 74"
BF:∞%/???/20%
Progress: 85%

I'm rooting for you Ken! Good call on the interval training. After warming up, I would sprint the straights and walk the corners on a 400m track when I was trying to drop time. Running a sub 45min 10k is a non-scale goal of mine. Hopefully my knees will be as compliant as yours!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 03:16

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ken, you have inspired me again! Went out this morning round a 10k route - jog 200 steps/walk 200 steps. Legs, breathing and heart rate fine. Next time out 400/200.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 10:04
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I'll use it as fuel for race day (plus a nice serving of fat & protein the day before the race).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan451
After warming up, I would sprint the straights and walk the corners on a 400m track when I was trying to drop time. Running a sub 45min 10k is a non-scale goal of mine. ...

Thanks for the tip. A lot of people use the track where I work out. I've seen people (mostly teens) doing that sprint/walk thing you described. I may work that in at some point. Speed is not my goal this time around. If I can jog the whole 10K I should be able to do it in 75 minutes or less. Under 70 minutes is my goal.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 10:14
Say NO to Diabetes!

I slept great last night and woke up feeling fantastic. When I got up I could hardly tell that yesterday was a jogging day. I think the break-in period is coming to an end. I did have a little dull ache in my lower back, which is not unusual for me when I get up. It works itself out once I get moving. I'm not sure that it has anything to do with the jogging. It is almost like a nerve memory of pain - not real pain. I had a dull ache (and sometimes not so dull) in that spot for over 20 years. Nerves have long memories, or so I've read.

They missed the boat on the weather forecast today. It was a chilly 39°, but no rain. I went out for a short casual walk as planned. That didn't work out. I couldn't stop and put in 90 minutes at a decent 3.4 mph clip. As good as I feel I still plan on taking the 2 day break from jogging. I'll do my next workout on Tuesday. I'll try and do a short walk tomorrow. Maybe the weather guys will get it right this time and I'll get rained out. One can only hope.

Last edited by khrussva : Sun, Mar-20-16 at 16:22.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 10:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Ken, you have inspired me again! Went out this morning round a 10k route - jog 200 steps/walk 200 steps. Legs, breathing and heart rate fine. Next time out 400/200.

WTG! The only advice I have is to listened to your body. I've not done that in the past and paid the price. You might consider starting an exercise journal of your own. I'm sure people would love to hear about some of your lovely (and often soggy) walks. You are a walking (and now jogging??) machine.

Last edited by khrussva : Sun, Mar-20-16 at 16:20.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 17:43

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

You've motivated me to start jogging again. I'm easing in slowly and just did one session last week and I'm going to do a bit more today. Thanks for sharing your accomplishments.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-16, 18:52
Say NO to Diabetes!

I did two relatively short & easy walks today.

Lunch hour: 33 minutes at 3.1 mph
After dinner: 38 minutes at 3.5 mph

My legs feel good. The legs feel stronger and well rested. Tomorrow is going to be warmer and sunny. I am ready for a hard workout. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. Goal for tomorrow: try for a full 5K of continuous jogging (3.1 miles).

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Mar-22-16 at 06:37.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-16, 19:02
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default 10K Training Day 5

March 22

Weight: 211

Today was jogging day 5. I had the same thing happen with the GPS as last Tuesday even though I worked out at the track. It was losing signal frequently and when it did it assumed speed zero and distance zero. But because I was on the track this time I know how far I went. I just don't know exactly how fast I was going.

Lunch hour at work:
Walked 40 minutes at 3.0 mph

This evening at the track:
Duration: 66 minutes total
Jogging: 35 minutes (approx. 5.2 mph)
Walking: 31 minutes (approx. 3.7 mph)
Distance: 5 miles

Walked for 3/4 of a mile to warm up
Jogged for 3.25 miles (more than a 5K) continuously
Warmed down by walking 2 miles

Total miles today: 7

My strength is getting better and I was well rested today. The 5K jog was pretty easy. I actually had some gas left on the last 2 laps and picked up the pace some. I should be ready to jog again on Thursday. I may do the cross country trail again and get one more tough workout in to build up the muscles a little more. Next week I'll keep pushing the distance and try to work up to a full 6.2 mile jog with a week to go before the event. Barring an injury, I'm seeing myself jogging the entire 10K on race day. It will be slow, but it really looks like it is going to happen.

My 17 Y/O daughter joined me again today and put in a pretty good workout. When she is jogging she jogs faster than me. She just can't maintain it for more than 1/2 a mile. She did go jogging yesterday with a friend from school. She jogged for a total of 2 miles each day. She is doing better.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Mar-22-16 at 20:34.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-16, 11:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

I just finished my lunchtime walk -- 40 minutes at 3 mph. After the 5K jog yesterday my muscles do feel a little drained. I can tell that they got some work in yesterday. But my muscles are not tight or sore in the least. The plan is to do a similar easy walk tonight so that I can be ready for a hard workout tomorrow.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-16, 19:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

I had the first chink in my armor today. I woke up with a sore right knee that had me walking with a mild limp for the first part of the day. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 1 or 2. But I couldn't take the chance of it getting worse from a hard workout today. So I canceled today's jogging workout. The knee felt better by noon, so I did do my walk. I walked this evening, too. I could feel the knee issue on the downhill slopes but otherwise it was good. It seems minor and I hope it is gone by tomorrow.

I did 4 miles total today - all walking.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, May-19-16 at 08:03.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 01:50

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I had the first chink in my armor today. I woke up with a sore right knee that had me walking with a mild limp for the first part of the day. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 1. But I couldn't take the chance of it getting worse from a hard today. So I canceled today's jogging workout.

Very wise. We don't have to be Olympic athletes to experience the conflict between trying hard enough to get some training benefit and trying so hard it leads to injury. Get well soon!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-16, 21:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default 10K Training Day 6

March 25

Weight: 208

The knee felt better today. I worked out in the evening and by that time I felt no pain. I did feel a little pain once I started jogging, but it did not get worse. In fact, I hardly noticed it by the end. The workout today doesn't seem to have aggravated anything. I'll cross my fingers and hope for he best in the morning.

I worked hard tonight. I jogged 5 miles and walked the rest of a full 10K

This evening at the track:

The 10K workout...

Walked for 1 of a mile to warm up (3.6 mph)
Jogged for 5 miles continuously (5 to 5.2 mph)
Warmed down by walking the final lap (3.8 mph)

Duration: 79 minutes -- average speed 4.7 mph

It was still light so I decided to walk an additional mile to warm down (3.7 mph)

Duration: 85 minutes total

Total miles today: 7.25

The first mile and last mile of the jog were the hardest. The middle was pretty easy. I found a nice rhythm. Just when I felt I was losing steam I'd get a new burst of energy and carried on. That happened a couple of times. By the last 2 laps of jogging I was feeling spent and the bursts of energy were over. I probably could have run the 10K out to the finish, but I'd worked hard enough. I'm happy with how things went today. I cut 6 minutes off of my baseline time from two weeks ago. I'm pretty confident that I will jog the entire 10K on race day and it looks like I might be able to do it in under 75 minutes.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Apr-11-16 at 09:52.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 05:18
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Best wishes today Ken! We are rooting for you!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-16, 05:55
Say NO to Diabetes!

Thanks Marvin. Good news this morning. No apparent issues with the knee this morning. The legs are a little sluggish. I was expecting that. I'll get a good walk or two in today. That is the plan. Then I'll see if I'm ready for another jog tomorrow.