Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 19:48

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

We should update the name of this thread to "What do you put Miracle Noodles in?"

OK, Who's good at german? Looks like ai need some kind of roller made with twigs and strings. I'll look out for one tomorrow. and Hey mickisue, I see that you are now a Bison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7vdVOAuJ-c
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 20:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Holy cow! I was getting tired of being crabby. (I know they're lobsters, but that was funnier. Maybe.)
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 20:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Holy cow! I was getting tired of being crabby. (I know they're lobsters, but that was funnier. Maybe.)

WAS.

I found some good price on shirataki noodle. I also bought a whole "cake" like a rice cake. they didn't carry them before now the do. Be alert, the world needs more Lerts.

#94   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-16, 20:34

Please, please, Sir Thud. Which of the many choices of Asian markets do you frequent? I have no idea which ones are good and which, if any, should be avoided?
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 07:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

MickieSue-

Kristine, if you are using the snack sheets, maybe just make little cones to keep the insides, um inside? roll as you go?
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 13:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I actually did that today, Robin. I skipped the shirataki and avocado because I wasn't very hungry, but I made little rolls with the snack-sized sheets, the rest of the smoked salmon, cream cheese, cucumber, and crushed pork rinds to make it like a crispy-spicy roll. It was really good, though again, not very photogenic.

My next project is going to be saag paneer over 'rice'. I wish there was an easy way to mimic that nutty basmati rice flavour, but I don't think I'll miss it if the curry sauce is good. This thread could go on forever with all the noodle and rice ideas.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 15:32

BF:

Well here's my attempt at it. Found a bamboo thingie at the store and used a bit of x-gum in the "rice" i chopped up from a regular bag. I posted in y0u's journal that they were meh or OK. It was fun to eat them but these are not rice. I'll probably not make them again. I, like Jiro, will only dream of real sushi for now.

as an experiment I mixed up the remaining "rice" with the salmon paste and made some thin long rolls. These were actually easier to work with. Maybe there's an idea in here for the next brave person

#98   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-16, 15:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

"they were meh or OK. It was fun to eat them but these are not rice. I'll probably not make them again. I, like Jiro, will only dream of real sushi for now."

Mayo, I can't tell you how many sushi rolls have Mayonnaise in them. Fat and flavor.

ps A lot of Asians also put canned tuna in them (at home) and not that fancy stuff.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 10:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

they sure look awesome!

Thud, why not get sashimi if you crave sushi? is it available in your country?
that is my favorite restaurant meal.
i love the pile of julienne radish that comes with it, too, and toss it in soysauce and wasabi. i always ask for extra wasabi and pickled ginger
I round it out with a broth based soup- i particularly like the ones with seafood.
and sometimes i eat the insides of a few steamed pork dumplings if my fiance orders those.

Kristine- yeah, i love how long this thread ended up being!
hope the paneer turned out well and you post the recipe. i love it.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 12:10

BF:

Thanks for the kind words on those creatures guys. They do have sushi grade ahi in Thuddsilvania so maybe I can try those. The worst part about yesterdays experiment was the binder xgum. I did some reading on fluid gels and might explore that. shirataki noodle is mostly water and it DOESN'T want to stick to itseslf. That is it's nature. Knowing and accepting this helps to work with it.

Looking for my next shirataki project. You guys say its good with cream/cheese sauce. I should try one of those. Requests, suggestions?!

PS, I did get a "yam cake" so I'm gonna slice some of that up, that might work to put some fish on.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 18:38

On the stovetop: a little of everything soup, made with the broth from Thanksgiving's free range turkey, the usual suspects (onion, garlic, carrot) some tomato paste, chopped frozen kale from the garden, chopped chicken breast and thighs and.......SHIRATAKI RICE!

I'm a very much "what sounds good right now?" soup seasoner. What sounded good was dill, coriander, mustard, paprika, thyme and parsley. Once it's done simmering, I'll double check the salt and pepper.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 19:09

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

I love this thread. I actually can't even eat shirataki, but I keep coming in this thread because I love seeing everything you guys are doing with the noodles. Everything looks and sounds so tasty.

Thud, maybe you can slice the yam cake and treat it like Shanghai rice cakes. That's one of my favorite "cheats" when my friends all want to go to get dumplings and there aren't many non-carby options for me. Here's a recipe link, in case you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about: http://seriouscrust.com/2014/03/sha...ied-rice-cakes/
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 21:25

BF:

2 more entries from today. i need to use these noodles up some I can buy more next weekend. <--- See what I did there. Thanks for the link to that rice cake thing. I've had fish cake in Korean banchan (I think that's how you sya) so I'm thinking about straight with some dipping sauce. I wonder how the yam cake would take to marinade. My guess is not so good. What ever they do to make that konjack expand and trap all that water is crazy. Try leaving some of these noodles out for a while. Pack a lunch, they don't dry out!

Habanero Kick tonight, chicken and shanghai bok choy and red habanero (I wish I could get some Carolina Reapers!)

And something I'll call Hazmat Soup. Soup you eat with chopstick, spoon and googles...

#104   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 21:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Thanks for the kind words on those creatures guys. They do have sushi grade ahi in Thuddsilvania so maybe I can try those..

LOLOLOL...............

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Mar-14-16 at 22:33.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-16, 10:02

BF:
Default Warning! Warning! Warning!

Hey, I froze some of that Hazmat curry above and reheated in microwave for lunch just now. NOODLE DAMAGE! not sure if it's from freezing or microwaving. thinking freezing breaking it down. Take a look! I will experiment with some in the freezer. The texture is ...different. Maybe it's the newest 'in' thing.