Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 22:05

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Thanks, Thud. The stir fried chicken and long pepper looks DeLish. How about that recipe?

Liz, I can do this tomorrow. It's pretty much a staple for me (different vegs). It might seem kind of boring. I'll take a few pictures to illustrate. I think I need to make it again to remember

And thanks Kristine! I'm gonna check those 2 that you posted.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 23:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

What type of sauce do you use Thud?

I can do the veggies but all I know to use with Asian type of dishes is soy sauce and sesame oil. I know that you use the chili sauce a lot but I really don't like it hot.

It's the liquid that I can't create, of course all of the Chinese restaurants that I know of use either a red sugar sauce or the white corn starch sauce and we know neither of those is OP.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 06:31

BF:

Sorry Liz, One problem with Intermittent fasting is that I don't have my timing from the freezer to the cooking pan down. I didn't get the chicken out in time so I decided to use frozen shrimp to do the demo. Basically the method would be identical but I start with 1 chicken thigh with skin on, bone it and trim and dice any skin flaps hanging off. Add a few ounces of water and 1-2 tbsp vinegar to wok and boil, add skin bits to render and continue to cut rest up and toss in. Wait till the water disolves and meat mostly cooks and add some more fat if the chicken didn't render enough. Start tossing in the veg. So here goes with shrimp...

here's the pictorial http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/shrimpShiratakiPeppers/ You can click on the pictures for larger images.

Ingredients:

Pork cooking fat (coconut oil is great too!)
Shrimp to taste
Bok Choy 150g (2 net carb)
Green Onion 2 small (1 net carb)
Peppers Habanero and Long Pepper ~50g (substitute red bell pepper) (2 net carb)
Basil (optional) (< 1g net carb)
Spinach small hand full (optional) (< 1g net carb)
Shirataki Noodle ~200g (0 net carb)
Coconut Milk 1 blob (optionall) (~1g net carb)
Shredded Lettuce 75g (~1.5 net carb)

Ingredients not required or can be substituted:
Vinegar
Soy, Fish Sauce or Liquid Aminos
Shrimp Paste
Curry Paste
Chili Garlic Paste (< 1g net carb)

~7-9 Net Carbs (serves 2 or one of me haha!) If you doubt it, do your own calculation and let me know what you think. I have no idea how many calories, depends on fat and protein added mostly. I'm guessing this dish is ~700-900 calories? I don't count them yet but you sure can and adjust accordingly. Don't skimp on the fat tho, or I'll find you and spank you!

1 - here's all the ingredients laid out. Those are about all the condiments I use in wok cooking. Shrimp paste is funky! Clean vegetables before cutting up.

2 - Pork fat from pork belly I made a while ago

3 - Rinse and soak noodles in hot water. I don't do any drying or frying for this recipe, it's a wet one anyway. They will be drained well. Dry if you like.

4,5 - Shred and plate some lettuce. Wow, I've figured out something that's working for me lately since I use a lot of lettuce for garnsh. I shred up 1 head, rinse and spin real good to dry off in salad spinner then bag in 1 gallon ziploc.

6,7,8 - measure out bok choy filet it, bias cut white parts and juliane gree parts.

9,10 - measure out and cut up the peppers, I like to dice the habanero and bias cut other peppers

11 - drain and shake out noodles well. I cut a large 14 oz pack into 4 parts, use to and bag the other half in ziploc for use in the next few days

12 - The French call this some thing but I can't spell it without looking it up so I wont bother pretending I know what it is. Bottom line is that have all your stuff READY TO COOK.

LET"S GO!

13 - Heat wok or skillet to max blasting heat add fat

14 - Add most firm vegetables first, stir for a couple mins

15 - Add the next most firm ingredients, in this case bok choy greens and green onions and habanero peppers. Stir for a few minutes. Add some uncooked shrimp.

16 - Add a blob or two of coconut milk if you like, this makes it "more saucier" . At this point you can also add any other liquids like soy, fish sauce, etc. Stir another minuite or two

17 - Add noodles. I decided to toss in some spinach at the last second because something said I wanted some and it would look nice

18 - I mixed a little by flipping in the pan a few times then added the pre-cooked shrimp and basil leaves these don't need to cook long!

19 - If you need to reduce a little, make a reverse moat by pushing up ingredients on sides and letting the middle boil off. You might try adding a thickening agent at this point, if you do let me know what you use

20 - Take off heat, flip in the pan a few times and slide onto lettuce (this acts to absorb the juices, like rice would do if I still ate that ) I garnish with a little pickle of some kind, kimchi here

21 - A close up for Meme#1 to see the "sauciness"

Sorry for so many words and sloppiness but that a lot of effort to cook, photograph, eat and write up. Ultimately satisfying though and it makes me happy to share something. Always open to feedback, criticism and questions.

Happy Cooking!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 06:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What type of sauce do you use Thud?

I can do the veggies but all I know to use with Asian type of dishes is soy sauce and sesame oil. I know that you use the chili sauce a lot but I really don't like it hot.

It's the liquid that I can't create, of course all of the Chinese restaurants that I know of use either a red sugar sauce or the white corn starch sauce and we know neither of those is OP.

Yeah Meme, the sauce is mostly pan drippings but I have used ground lemon grass and ground galangal to thicken stuff up. Most of the sauceness is from fat and chili paste mixed up, and vinegar - it hot and sour and unctuous, not sweet. I don't miss the sweet too much.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 06:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
OMG, Thud! You are a low carb cooking guru!

(blush) thanks MickiSue. I like messing around and really needed to have a good variety of stuff that I could whip up using LC ingredients. There's quite a bit of variation, still, stir frying and one pot meals are my go to. I don't have the skills to do the dishes that I see you guys do like baking interesting things and doing roasts in the oven and stuff. The oven is a foreign concept to me. I did get a meat thermometer tho!!!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 13:36

BF:

P.S. I prepared the chicken thigh with skin rendering for lunch as mentioned above. here's 2 photos to illustrate:

Trim off "flaps" of fat from chicken thigh, dice and slice and put them in a few ounces of water and vinegar to render out some fat.

Bone thigh, flip over, split and cut into strips leaving skin on. This one was still a bit frosty and that helped! Make sure your knife is SHARP, it helps a lot.

Add the sliced chicken to rendering skin and continue on, maybe add some more fat then toss in the hard or firm vegetables first.

Good Luck and happy eating
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 23:33

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks everyone for all your tips.

Thud, a special thanks to you, your meals always look so good. I was thinking of you while in World Market yesterday as they had all the chili sauce etc. there. I didn't buy any because I was worried it might be too hot. I can't take a ton of spice and have rosacea (so hot stuff is not recommended as it bothers my skin) but I think I might get some. Are long peppers hot? Any suggestions if wanted to try a dish like that and not have it too hot? I love bok choy and spinach.

Lastly, is your wok ceramic coated? Really cool if that's the case!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 23:37

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I douse with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper, and toss with a can of drained tuna. I used to use parmesan but I've cut way back on dairy, too.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 23:56

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks, Thud! I love your presentation in pictures - reminds me of Japanese cookbooks. Now to find shirataki noodles, I don't think I've ever seen them in my otherwise wonderful grocery store. Will poke around tomorrow when I'm there. And, yes, sharp knives are essential.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 00:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Isn't he great!!
He's really livened things up on this thread with all of the gorgeous pictures!!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 05:50

BF:

1DogDay

You are welcome and it is my pleasure. I'm a natural ham (hard wood smoked of course) and I like using my new iphone for pictures. Fun! The chili sauce from Hoy Fong is the same heat level as their famous "Sriracha" sauce. It's the same stuff before they add sugar and puree it, so it is kind of hot but not crazy. I don't know maybe some sugar free kethup (??) or something might work with extra vinegar? Also, these long peppers are NOT very hot. I've never seen them before but they look like indian finger peppers completely ripe. I would use red bell pepper if for a substitue - it would be awesome, just slice it really thin and there red color makes the dish look more delicious. And lastly, yes, it is a ceramic wok. I have others but this work great day to day on my electric stove. it's from Walmart or Target called "Green something something..." I use wood tools in in mostly. It wont last forever but the cleanup is so fast!

Liz53

Look for shirataki noodles in the refrigerated section or health section of a grocery store. They do not need to be refrigerated (100 percent yam noodle) but the ones with tofu added do. I think there is a general consensus that they taste better, at least have a more normal texture. If you have no luck, The first batch I got was from amazon under the label miricle noodle. This link might work for you http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodl...=miracle+noodle

Meme#1

Thanks for the nice comment. Like I said above I'm a ham. I like to do this because, at least for me becuase 1) pictures can be helpful, especially in cooking 2) It's self documenting, I've been keeping track of my different food choices so I can go back and make them again. - I don't really have any saved recipies 3) Three it's fun and 4) If someone else finds this useful it makes me happy.

Cooking is not hard for me because a long time ago someone told me that I will make mistakes and it doesn't matter. Also they said that some of the most interesting things we eat and cherish came from accidental or necessary experimentation. I experimented last night after hearing all sorts of wonderful ways you guys on this board use cauliflower. I gathered ideas and ingredients that thought would work (cauliflower, butter, salt, cream, pepper) and "went for it" last night. From previous things and methods I synthesized this below, too bad I only got to eat a few spoonfuls of the finished result, rest went into the fridge:

You can do these noodles! Let your mind wonder but keep a firm hand on your knife!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-16, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Liz: it's probably easiest and cheapest to buy shirataki noodles from Amazon. You can get a variety pack, so you can try the various noodles as well as the "rice".
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-16, 06:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Liz: it's probably easiest and cheapest to buy shirataki noodles from Amazon. You can get a variety pack, so you can try the various noodles as well as the "rice".

That's what I did. I even got 2 packs of the "rice"!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 00:49

BF:

I finally tried my noodles tonight. I had been afraid to after what some had said. I really liked them however my stomach is feeling a little odd right now, perhaps I ate too many. I'll keep you posted!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-16, 09:35

BF:

WTG 1DD! Now after you're considered them, and assuming you don't have a bad reaction, you can figure out what they might work with that you like to eat. Did you get the ones with Tofu or just the plain ones?

My mind, as I've mentioned before, struggles with using them with just a sauce but others have made mac and cheese, Alfredo and other stuff. What did you make?