Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-16, 15:35

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I think the issue is control, it's not about food or what is or is not healthy or ethical. Just like anorexia, anorexia is about control, how empowering it makes the person feel to be able to exert that control over what they're eating. If veganism were about what's healthy, then actual logic and fact would work. It's not, it's about how good it feels to the person to exert control over their diet. It's empowering.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 16:39

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriske

Let a cockroach go in a vegan's kitchen and watch him crush it with his boot while he looks down on your for eating a chicken.

Go figure.

And I've heard that chickens are about as brainless as a cockroach.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Meat eaters are sometimes just as clueless about where their food comes from. I grew up on a small farm & still raise some of my own meat. And kill it, too. Not my favorite part of being a meat eater, but I think it is necessary to kill one's own food at least once in a while.

I had a young boss when I was 27 who was listening in on a conversation between a Chinese coworker and myself (he shamelessly played favorites and was fascinated with her - not in an inappropriate way, but just in a "teacher's pet" manner) when we were comparing shopping in the open air marketplace in Beijing compared to our supermarkets. Like everything else, she saw pluses and minuses. She missed getting fresh chicken, for example. He was shocked that she didn't consider our chicken 'fresh'. When he realized she meant that she never saw it alive before it was dead, he was disgusted and frankly, disappointed in his pet employee.
I reminded him that many of us are just one generation away from having contact with our food when it was on the hoof. He sneered at the concept and said "Not MY parents! They lived in town". Like it was some kind of character issue. Pffffttthhh! No one liked him as a boss. And the Chinese girl didn't respect him.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
I think the issue is control, it's not about food or what is or is not healthy or ethical. Just like anorexia, anorexia is about control, how empowering it makes the person feel to be able to exert that control over what they're eating. If veganism were about what's healthy, then actual logic and fact would work. It's not, it's about how good it feels to the person to exert control over their diet. It's empowering.

That's actually how I feel when I get back to eating right, after going off the LC reservation. When I go back to drive-through fast food and desserts, it starts by my making a choice that is born in rebellion when I get tired of my body's demands controlling my desires. Then, I feel out of control when I want to quit eating food that makes me feel bad (not physically, but emotionally when I see my reflections and my clothes don't fit). Forcing myself back off of sugars makes me again feel in control. I guess I'm lucky I'm not bulimic.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 17:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
And I've heard that chickens are about as brainless as a cockroach.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I am often amazed at just how much personality my Girls have, despite their small brains.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Oh, I wouldn't say that. I am often amazed at just how much personality my Girls have, despite their small brains.

Yeah, I hear they are very fun pets.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 20:28

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriske

Let a cockroach go in a vegan's kitchen and watch him crush it with his boot while he looks down on your for eating a chicken.

Go figure.

So true! I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 4 years in the early-mid seventies. I lived with 2 other people, one also vegetarian, in a roach-infested apartment near campus. In the evenings, we would turn out the lights in the kitchen, then 30 minutes later turn them back on and ambush the roaches, swatting them with newspapers and heavy objects (no insecticide for us).

I'd never thought of the irony of it all till you mentioned it.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 21:01

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

CallMeAnn: The boss who sneered, "Not MY parents! They lived in town," reminds me of someone my husband used to mention -- a man who was in grad school before he found out where milk comes from.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 22:37

He was so ridiculous. Really childish.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 17:15

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I'm an omnivore and I'm a speciesist on what I kill or have killed in my name.

Roaches, black widow spiders in my house hopefully they won't know what hit them.

I'll let wasps, other spiders, and the like out. A clear cup and a piece of cardboard is enough to set them free unharmed. We had a hole in the screen in our porch a number of years ago. It took over a month to get someone out to re-screen it. A wasp used to get in almost daily, and it learned that if the clear cup came towards it, all it had to do was fly into the cup and it would be set free. Not so stupid methinks.

Mosquitoes anywhere are fair game.

I don't eat lobsters because I feel they are being tortured in that tank with their claws taped. If caught fresh it's different. And I can't put a crab into a pot of boiling water.

It's just me, I'm not making judgement on those who differ.

I don't eat chicken because the arachadonic acid content isn't good for bursitis or arthritis - very inflammatory. But if I did, I'd choose free range. I hate to think about the bird spending its life in a cage. I know free range isn't utopia for the bird, but it's better anyway.

As far as taking the life of the cow or pig, that bothers me not. Most are put to death quickly. I've seen films. I've caught fish that suffered longer on the dock or in the boat.

Plus, in a way, the omnivores gave that cow or pig a life. Not many would be born if they were only pets. And most get to live a fear free life until the end. I've seen herds of beef on the grassland, and they don't look stressed to me. So thanks to people like me, they get to be born and laze around on the lawn all day.

I don't know any carnivores.

I know 3 vegans.

Everybody else is an omnivore. Including those lacto types.

Omnivore: an animal that eats both animal and vegetable substances.

Also I think that one diet isn't the best for everyone, so comparing vegans to gf people will not produce meaningful results.

The old proverb applies: One man's meat is another man's poison. (pardon the sexist pronoun - but that's the proverb)

Bob
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-16, 18:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I just had to google this, because I couldn't believe you could be allergic to meat, when we're basically made of meat. From wikipedia:
I think I got confused because a lot of people use the word "meat" to refer exclusively to "beef." Although I use the specific words also, like poultry/veal/venison/pork/etc, "meat" to me generally means "my food that had a face."

I'd mourn if I was afflicted with this tick bite and allergy, but at least I could still indulge in chicken, turkey, eggs, and seafood.

Well, also from Wiki, we got this from the link to alpha-gal:
Quote:
Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, commonly known as alpha gal, is a carbohydrate found in most organisms' cell membranes. It is not found in primates, including humans, whose immune systems recognize it as a foreign body and produce xenoreactive immunoglobulin M antibodies, leading to organ rejection after transplantation.[1] It has also been suggested to play a role in an IgE-specific allergic response to some meats.[2] Recent studies are showing increasing evidence that this allergy may be induced by the bite of the lone star tick (Amblyomma americanum)[3] in North America and the castor bean tick (Ixodes ricincus) in Sweden.

The immune system recognizes it. It recognizes it when it enters the bloodstream from that tick's bite. But if there's an allergic reaction to meat when we eat it, it also recognizes it before it enters the bloodstream. So, the allergy cannot be solely attributed to alpha-gal alone, there must be some other substance that first enters the bloodstream to cause the initial immune response, but then remains in the bloodstream or tissues to cause further immune response that does not otherwise occur before the initial tick bite. Maybe the substance that remains is a bacteria or virus or some other live pathogen that reacts to alpha-gal, and it is this reaction that triggers the allergic immune response. At first I thought alpha-gal would need to enter the bloodstream from the gut to cause the reaction, but it's not necessary if the live pathogen has infected the gut tissue. Its reaction to alpha-gal would propagate on both sides of its cell host, so both the gut and the bloodstream.

There's this idea that a substance or a cell does not need to be the primary target for the immune system to fight it. With MS for example when treated with antibiotics in some protocols, liver cells can be destroyed. One possibility is that the antibiotics destroy those cells directly, but the other more likely possibility is that the liver cells are infected with the pathogens, and when the antibiotics reach them, they destroy the pathogen and this in turn causes the liver cells to suicide. Anyways, for alpha-gal, if the immune system can't recognize the pathogen directly, it could still fight it if it infected tissues and if it reacted to alpha-gal and if the immune system recognized this reaction. Well, it does recognize alpha-gal, it does fight it, but somehow it does it to the detriment of the host after the initial tick bite, and to the benefit of the host before the initial tick bite. Something's different, and it's not the immune system.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-16, 18:44

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
IMHO that's an abuse of the language.

OK, so I'm a vegetarian - lacto - ovo - fisho - porko - beefo

Don't laugh, it's only two steps further than we are now.

Sorry, if you eat any animal products at all, you are not a vegetarian or even a vegetarian wanna be - but a pretend vegetarian.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it

Bob

"Pretend vegetarian". Lol! I love you man. In a platonic way, I mean. I often hear veggies say "meatatarian", as if that's all they eat. So I guess it's no wonder they call themselves vegetarian as if that's all they eat.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-16, 13:49

BF:

Most of us are omnivores. Even the pretend vegetarians.

But many of us (myself included) are picky eaters. I pick what I think is good for me out of all the foods that I like the taste of.

If a person picks plants, eggs, and dairy, they are not a vegetarian, but simply a picky eater.

I have a vegan friend who wholeheartedly agrees with me.

And I don't know any carnivores, although I'm sure there might be some.

Anybody out there a carnivore? (eat zero plant based food)

Bob
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Feb-02-16, 19:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
But many of us (myself included) are picky eaters. I pick what I think is good for me out of all the foods that I like the taste of.

I've been trying to talk myself into eating insects for years now, without success. But we now have a Grasshopper Festival over in Republic. I wasn't able to go last year, but this year I will. And I WILL eat at least one grasshopper!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-16, 08:19

BF:

Good for you - I'm not that brave.