Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 14:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hah! The lack of the clear plastic and white styrofoam tray syndrome. It's not food without them!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 08:49

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriske
Vegans, vegetarians, animal rights activists, etc....only want to protect animals with big eyes and wagging tails, they could care less about other animals that they can't relate to. The love dogs, cats, cows, pigs. dolphins, whales, lambs, chickens, etc. but could care less about squids, minnows, ants, flies, or spiders. <...>

I don't think all vegans are like that, but some definitely are.

On the other hand, those cows and pigs would not have any life at all if we weren't raising them for food. They would be extinct by now.

So I thank each cow or pig that I eat for giving it's life for me, and I know that my being an omnivore gave it a life.

Florida used to be a big beef producing state (second to Texas when I was a child). I've seen the herds of steer grazing on the grass without a care in the world. No fear of predators because the wolves are not in Florida and the Panther is almost extinct.

Then they get sent to the feed lots, where they gorge themselves on corn (I don't agree with that practice, but for them it's like living in an ice cream store).

Then the walk through the labyrinth that thanks to Temple Grandin is designed not to scare them in any way until the get to the end where they are instantly killed, they seem to die before they know what hit them. If there is pain, it's probably just an instant. And the next steer on the line doesn't get to see the first one getting killed.

I'd say we provided a pretty good life for the animals, and without us, they wouldn't have had a life at all.

Lobsters on the other hand I don't eat. I don't mind eating meat, but I don't want to torture the animal first. Seeing dozens of lobsters piled up in a tank with their claws in bondage just makes me sad.

I do squash mosquitoes and will aggressively chase them down.

And the only vegetarians in my book are vegans.

Eggs? Milk? Fish? What plant did that grow on?

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 08:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Vegetarians don't eat cute food (mammals, birds). But they have no problem eating things less cute: fish, eggs, secretions from cute animals (milk).

Food choices can be a real deal killer when it comes to relationships. I LOVE hot spicy food, cilantro, etc. I dated a man that had the palate of a 10-year-old. That SO didn't work out.

They are not vegetarians if they eat fish, eggs, and/or milk.

They are just picky eaters who want to elevate themselves into the vegetarian class.

Milk? Fish? Eggs? What vegetable did they grow on?

I have a vegan friend (she cooks meat for her husband) and I told her vegans are the only vegetarians, after all, what plant did that glass of milk grow on? and I got the biggest grin and two thumbs up.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 08:54

BF:

I've killed and cleaned my own food, but it was exclusively fish.

I don't know how to kill and clean a mammal, so I wouldn't try it.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 08:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Yeah, it isn't any different for meat eaters. I'm a child of farmers, so even if I haven't done it myself, at least I heard about it second-hand.

My grandmother put fresh chicken on the table, if you know what I mean.

As an animal rights activist, I think it makes the most sense to push for humane farming, as outlined by Bob, above. We aren't going to eliminate meat from the human diet. It's been handed out by lords to keep their serfs going. It's been shown a vegan diet will not allow normal development of a fetus, infant, or child. It's been so vital people would risk death poaching. It is what our hormones are made of.

B12.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 10:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Oh yeah, back in the day I've cleaned fish myself, so I guess I win the internets. ;-) I also routinely butcher whole chickens (supermarket variety). So I'm not entirely unaccustomed to the process. However, the actual killing of a bird I haven't done. I would simply to be less ignorant about the process.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 10:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
They are not vegetarians if they eat fish, eggs, and/or milk.

https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=508
I know the term vegetarian is used loosely, but I'm pretty sure they're allowed animal products, just not the actual animal.

Vegans won't eat anything that comes from an animal, although presumably they nurse their young.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 12:57

BF:

Quote:
Vegans won't eat anything that comes from an animal, although presumably they nurse their young.

When I tried it in the '80's, it was a "no meat" situation, including seafood.

Now, some health outlets are pressing oysters into service, since they have no nervous system... yet have vital nutrients vegan diets lack.

I understand the moral imperative! When I tried vegetarian, it took mere months for it to have bad effects on my health. And that wasn't the only reason I bailed... they were starting to get stricter, and demanding few animal products, and I was limping along with eggs and cheese.

But back then, books were put together with animal glue. And I can't give that up. (Now, they have a dodge )

It just does not line up with reality.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 15:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Donald Watson, founder of the Vegan Society, coined the word “vegan” in 1944 as a statement against vegetarians who ate dairy products. He took the first and last letters of the word vegetarian to create his orthodox version of vegetarian. And back then, dairy was the only unorthodox thing they were eating.

I was an ovo-lacto-pesco "vegetarian" in the 80s too, back before I learned that PETA was behind most of the "health" research I was reading. That's what turned me from chubby to obese. So I became a low-fat vegan for nearly 2-yrs in the 90s and very careful to get B12 and adequate protein, but things got worse and I developed all sorts of allergies that I never had before, and symptoms shared with MS, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, lupus ...
Then I got stuck on a ranch and the only things to eat were salad and perfectly cooked prime rib. So I had to cave in and eat the beef to have enough energy. A couple hours later I found that I felt fantastic for the first time in ~20 yrs and became a born-again carnivore (not totally orthodox since I eat some nuts, seeds & vegs).

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-15-16 at 15:50.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 16:44

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I've killed and cleaned my own food, but it was exclusively fish.

I don't know how to kill and clean a mammal, so I wouldn't try it.

Bob

We've done it and it's really not all that different. I find it less intimidating than fish, actually. I have not done any large mammals (still waiting on that deer!) but we've done small game - groundhog, squirrel and also ducks and chickens. I think it's an important thing to do just to really understand where food comes from.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 08:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
So I had to cave in and eat the beef to have enough energy. A couple hours later I found that I felt fantastic for the first time in ~20 yrs

How fortuitous that you were placed in a situation where you had to find out just what you had been missing.

I recently read The Meat Fix which is about a vegan man with terrible IBS who was cured from his first meal containing meat. He describes a similar reaction. And he's never looked back.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
My grandmother put fresh chicken on the table, if you know what I mean.

As an animal rights activist, I think it makes the most sense to push for humane farming, as outlined by Bob, above. We aren't going to eliminate meat from the human diet. It's been handed out by lords to keep their serfs going. It's been shown a vegan diet will not allow normal development of a fetus, infant, or child. It's been so vital people would risk death poaching. It is what our hormones are made of.

B12.

We have the teeth of an omnivore, we have the digestive enzymes of an omnivore and we have the alimentary canal of an omnivore. To be a vegan is to deny your human nature and needs. Of course, if that's what you want to do, it's your right to do so.

Just don't torture the animals. Get the lobsters out of the crowded tanks and get the chickens out of those tiny cages.

Bob
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=508
I know the term vegetarian is used loosely, but I'm pretty sure they're allowed animal products, just not the actual animal.

IMHO that's an abuse of the language.

OK, so I'm a vegetarian - lacto - ovo - fisho - porko - beefo

Don't laugh, it's only two steps further than we are now.

Sorry, if you eat any animal products at all, you are not a vegetarian or even a vegetarian wanna be - but a pretend vegetarian.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it

Bob
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
We've done it and it's really not all that different. I find it less intimidating than fish, actually. I have not done any large mammals (still waiting on that deer!) but we've done small game - groundhog, squirrel and also ducks and chickens. I think it's an important thing to do just to really understand where food comes from.

I wouldn't mind doing it, as long as someone showed me how to do it properly. I've I'm going to kill the beast to eat it, I don't want to waste the flesh by spoiling it in some way that I'm not aware of.

My father showed me the proper way to clean fish. And fresh fish, caught, cleaned, breaded and fried the same day is the best (especially if it's snook)

Bob
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:31

BF:

Another thing for vegans to think about.

The carnivores and omnivores are on this earth keeping the herbivores in control. We are the defenders of the plant kingdom.

In the Galapagos islands, where the iguanas have no natural predators, they ate and multiplied. Since there were no predators to keep their numbers in check, they ate all the available food on their island. Every bit. 100%.

So they turned to eating seaweed that washed up on the shore and was in the shallow water. Pretty soon they ate that up. So they had to swim deeper and deeper in the cold water.

Now their numbers are checked. If you can't hold your breath long enough to swim deep enough to get to the limit, and if you can't warm your body temperature up enough basking on the rock when you get your bite of seaweed. You die of starvation.

If all the animals on entire land mass of the planet were vegans, there would be no plant life left on the planet, and we would run out of oxygen before we got to the point where the seaweed was gone.

Take a lesson from the marine iguana. The ecosystem needs herbivores and predators.

Bob