Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Or tea. When I had a follow up appt at the brain injury clinic in Sept, I'd had two cups of tea that morning, and my pressure was 135/85.

When I had it taken a couple weeks ago for a physical, I had been fasting, and it was 104/70.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 15:05
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Coffee affects my BP strongly. It lasts for hours though.

I tend to drink more coffee in winter. Perhaps that is part of my problem. Thanks for the tip. I've considered cutting back on the caffeine. Now I think I'd better get around to doing it. Dang. I love my coffee.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 15:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Try taking your BP before and after drinking coffee. Usually I just try to keep it minimal before seeing my doctor. :-)
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 20:06

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 312/235/185 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

You guys sound like you all have much better blood pressure than me even when elevated. Mine was running little high today but went down as the day wore on. I'd like it to be 135 over 85 all the time. Of course I would like it to be lower but I'll accept the risk uless it gets too high for too long. A neighbor (who is also diabetic) who is 73 said his runs 120 over 80 at all times. I have to admit I was a little envious but then remembered he also has had his neck arteries scraped out twice, has a pacemaker, and is on three diabetic medications. Perfect numbers aren't always an indicator of perfect health.

The doctor's office called to confirm my vit. D results and said it was 33 on scale of 30 - 100 (slightly different than the results the lab told me over the phone). Sounds low to me but the lady on the phone said "that's normal, don't worry about it." Those doctors don't look at the big picture or patterns in my opinion. This is the same office that when I had a fasting BG of 116 (before diabetes) told me the same thing "totally normal don't worry about it."

Probably being around teenagers for 30 years hasn't helped my BP any. I'm actually semi-retired and only teach 1/2 a day at the high school (plus 1 class at college) now and I look forward to when I'm not around the urchins. By the way I could kill the geniuses (Apple or whoever) who invented texting. What a teacher's nightmare.

Dennis

Last edited by Whited : Thu, Dec-03-15 at 08:33.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Ken, that is kind of the point. Your pressure naturally rises and falls with the activities of your life. If you know that it can get down when you HAVEN'T had coffee, then you're good: the bad kind is called essential hypertension, i.e hypertension that is constant, not just affected by circumstance.

Try waiting for about 6 hours after your last cup of coffee in the day, have a lot of water about 2 hours before you take your pressure, and follow the guidelines: sit quietly for 10 minutes before you take it, with your hands in your lap.

That is YOUR real BP: what your body does to move the blood around without external stressors involved. And, because you ingest it, caffeine is an external stressor.

Dennis, that D level IS low. Mine was down there the last time I had it checked, and I added D supplements, and made sure to use my light box AMAP.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 20:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I gave up coffee only because I have a lot of issues with food and it started triggering migraines (probably the cockroach bits, sorry!). Even then, I was only able to give it up after getting the flu and losing the taste for it because I was so sick.

If I'd suspected it was just the caffeine artificially keeping my blood pressure high, I would not have worried about that. 135/85 due to caffeine sounds just fine to me.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 07:02
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Or tea. When I had a follow up appt at the brain injury clinic in Sept, I'd had two cups of tea that morning, and my pressure was 135/85.

When I had it taken a couple weeks ago for a physical, I had been fasting, and it was 104/70.

Yes I'd always had scarily high BP when taken at the DR's office - higher than 160/100. Turns out I have white coat syndrome with BP at home now around 120/75, and when I was in hospital and fasting and sleepy went as low as 100/60. The circumstances of the reading and any external effects need to be considered.