Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 04:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default FAT: The New Health Paradigm

In another stunning Credit Suisse Research report, FAT is the new health paradigm.
Go to the Executive Summary at the beginning:

https://doc.research-and-analytics....pv8mURvaRWdQ%3d

News feed from the DietDoctor:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-futur...carb-higher-fat
(Direct links are here)

Quote:
The fear of fat is a thing of the past. In the coming years demand for fat will soar worldwide, while demand for carbohydrates will fall. The entire world will start eating higher fat, lower carb diets (on average).

This is what a big report from Credit Suisse predicts, based on trends and the evolving medical scientific knowledge.

Bloomberg Business: No Bread, Please, Just Pass the Butter as Fat Demand to Soar

PRNewswire: Credit Suisse Publishes Report on Evolving Consumer Perceptions about Fat

The report:

Credit Suisse Research Institute: Fat: The New Health Paradigm

The report is fascinating reading and I highly recommend the first two pages (introduction and summary). It gives you a quick look into how expert prognosticators look at the evolving debate.

Fat is on its way back in a big way and there are no longer any valid scientific reasons to fear saturated fat or cholesterol in the diet. Global demand will rise by 43 percent by 2030.

Carbohydrates are the main cause of the epidemics of obesity and diabetes. More and more people understand that. The worldwide consumption will fall by 8.3 percent by 2030 (despite a growing population).

Surveys by the institute show that a majority of nutritionists and doctors still have outdated beliefs about fat and cholesterol, incorrectly believing it to be bad for cardiovascular health. Modern science shows this belief to be false, according to the report. This fact is likely to spread fast as more and more experts update their knowledge.

The future is lower carb, higher fat.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-19-15 at 04:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 05:05

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

When the walls came down........

Thank you for sharing!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 05:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hope I can still afford butter if all this goes down. That's one thing I like about fasting--I'll never be priced out of the market.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 07:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Modern science shows this belief to be false, according to the report.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Modern science seems to support or debunk a new "belief" every year. Surely Taubes et al are shaking their heads in skepticism, not vindication, about this "new" scientific report. It ain't over until...well, you know.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what the scientific community, let alone the general public, expects people to use that fat FOR. If you can't make fries in it, smear it on bread, make pastries, drench pasta, or dip tortillas in it, what do you put it in or on??

No, you have to eat it in its natural state: animal fat (bacon!), avocado, eggs, salad oils (for some), butter on broccoli, and other ways that involve actual cooking and food that doesn't come in a box. Unless that happens, obesity will continue to increase, fat or no fat. You can't have your lard and your carb, too.

End of rant.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 09:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Agreed, I'll believe it when I see it. The medical community, insurance companies, and health and food manufacturers are still very entrenched in the low fat, healthy carbs belief, and it will take a while to move them off of this. In the meantime, I may need to start investing in Kerry Gold or Nutiva stock!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My daughter is trying to stay LC now that she is back at school. She said it was easy at home because that is just how we eat. Out in the real world - it is another story. Over the summer, when she ate out - she'd order a bunless burger with a side salad. Now that she is back at school, she has shied away from that. Her friends think that she is eating the unhealthy part of the burger and have said so. They think she is crazy. My daughter is bowing to peer pressure and sticking with a salad when dining with friends.

IMO - there is a lot of unlearning to do and I still think this is going to take a long, long time to shed the 'fear the fat' message. Fat may come back into fashion eventually, but if people can't give up eating the carby favs - that may not be such a good thing for them. I did the high fat high carb diet for years. It didn't work out to well. Fat is good, carbs are bad???. That one will take a long time to sink in. And I don't think our government will be any help, either. They will be slow to turn. Probably slower than the general public.

That said, I hope there is a resurgence of low carb eating. We could use more LC options out there. With enough people doing it, maybe the healthiness of this WOE will finally be studied and recognized. It as done a world of good for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:40

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Credit Suisse Research report is great! Lots to mine there, I'll have to go back and spend some time on it.

Lots of great info on Omega 6 vs. Omega 3 that I don't recall seeing before.

I'm also concerned about changing the perception of fat, but not adequately adjusting carbohydrate intake, and the dietary disaster that could be. The CD report predicts that carb intake will drop from 51% to 45% by 2030! and fat intake rise 33% to 38%. If this becomes a reflection of the average diet, rather than a drastic change by some, that is still a very unhealthy ratio. The perception of carbs (not just sugar and white stuff) needs to change drastically. But any improvement in the perception of fat, especially saturated, can only be a huge boon to the concept of LCHF diets.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

The sad thing is, it isn't a new science finding. It's just that the "propaganda" of corporate bias misled everyone into thinking that was the answer for decades. And even if we "now understand, finally," it doesn't help much: we're still making college textbooks that say vitamins are mostly useless expensive urine, carbs and whole grains especially are profound needs and saturated fat will kill you, and these books are educating the people that won't even be doctors and nurses and nutritionists for another 2-8 years or so. So it's easy already to see what the future looks like: exactly what the past looked like, when we taught people the same BS.

PJ
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 13:07

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I'm also concerned about changing the perception of fat, but not adequately adjusting carbohydrate intake, and the dietary disaster that could be
Yes, this. There are two parts to this "new" dietary perception.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 16:24

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Dietary messages, many courtesy of Ancel Keys, are deeply ingrained in public consciousness. I even see it in myself - and I've been writing about and studying low-carb stuff for years. Yet, a year ago when hubby had his heart attack and I switched him to a low-carb paleo plan (partially because I knew he'd never eat low-cal or low-fat, as typically prescribed post-MI), I sometimes found myself wavering in my thought process. A lot of this occurred as his cardiologist was fighting us tooth and nail about his dietary choices and opting out of statins. I know from all of the research I've read that fat doesn't appear to affect heart disease and that industrial seed oils do, but the message runs so deep that I still experience moments of doubt that what I'm actually doing is killing him.

That said, the Credit Suisse report is wonderful. I'll use that information in some of my future work, I'm certain.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I went to a volunteer meeting today for the orchestra, and met a lovely woman, who I'd guess to be in her early 70's. We were talking about diet, and I mentioned having lost weight successfully on LCHF.

She told me that she's been part of a study by the NIH for over 15 years now. The participants are encouraged to eat lots of whole grains--she mentioned oatmeal and brown rice--and fruits, keeping fats low. She also mentioned that her blood vessels are lined with plaque, and she can't take statins, so she's seeing a "special" cardiologist about her issues.

I suggested that she do some research of her own, and check, for example, the diet doctor's website. But the whole thing makes me so angry. It bothers me, a lot, that I was taught, and I taught, the low fat, "healthy carbs" garbage for so long.

But to see on the ADA facebook page, and then meet in person, people who have been actively harmed by doing what they were taught was the right way to eat. I wish I believed in hell, right now. There are a lot of people who deserve to go there for what they've done to so many.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I share your frustration but as someone who has spent the last 30 years "unlearning" 6 years of grad school in nutritional sciences and constant exposure in the popular press, I know it is really hard to give up information that was given to you in good faith and that has been repeated to the point of becoming common knowledge and scientific "fact". If I had not developed celiac disease 30 years ago and pre-T2D 7 years ago, I probably would still be eating and encouraging others to eat a Standard American LF diet.

This does not excuse the ADA - it is their job to identify the best treatments for diabetes with no regard for special interests. But I think most health care professionals are simply parroting what they learned and protecting themselves by meeting accepted standards of care.

The best we can do is educate ourselves and any family or friends that are willing to listen.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 06:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The CS research group are some of the top Investment Analysts in the world. The audience for this report are investors looking for new or changing opportunities in global markets, or corporations funding new areas of development. With some involvement in animal health biotechs (that is for Edibles, not Petibles ) market forces showing a future increase for eggs, dairy, and butter fats is for us. This research team is all about dollars and investments, but Interesting to see that their analysis of 400 medical studies points to a big fat change in nutrition advice also.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 06:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default RANT *!~&^%#~*

RANT *!~&^%#~*
It is difficult for me not to use swear words sometimes, and this is one of those times.

I've tried to understand how our world became one in which the people are nothing but sheep to slaughter. Sheeple ~ allowing entities-who-know-more (by whatever name or flavor) to determine what they eat, how they vote, how they raise their children. The list is endless of elements of their lives the sheeple don't take responsibility for governing.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE! Information is everywhere! Don't let other people decide how you live your life! You know your body better than any doctor who spends 5 minutes a year with you and never even touches you.

Take back your life! Take back your health. Take responsibility.

END RANT *!~&^%#~*
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 08:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Group think. Information cascade. Sad they don't teach people how to be critical in their thinking in college. There should be a required class that teaches a history of mistaken beliefs that were endemic to professions and cultures. The medical profession has suffered from some truly tragic beliefs, ones that make leeching seem comical and harmless.