Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 18:22

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
And if I really get confused (I worked in the life/health insurance field for 10 years), my son is a liaison at the Social Security Administration, and his job is to help confused people deal with their benefits.

Could you invite him here to answer questions? I can't make any headway with the SSA website.

But then, I'm only 62 - I've got a few more years to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Bonnie, I know what he'd say: tell her to make an appointment for an in-person talk with a liaison at her local SS office. That's what they get paid to do.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Bonnie, I know what he'd say: tell her to make an appointment for an in-person talk with a liaison at her local SS office. That's what they get paid to do.

I'll get around to that eventually. One of the not-so-good things of living in the boonies is that "local" can mean a 2-hour drive.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 11:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Every state has a SHIP program, info on it here:
http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com.../National/SHIP/

What is SHIP?
SHIP is a free health benefits counseling service for Medicare beneficiaries and their families or caregivers. SHIPs mission is to educate, advocate, counsel and empower people to make informed healthcare benefit decisions. SHIP is an independent program funded by Federal agencies and is not affiliated with the insurance industry.

SHIP Counseling is FREE of charge
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) provide free help to Medicare beneficiaries who have questions or issues with their health insurance. You can call a counselor or attend a workshop/presentation in your area

Ours was fantastically helpful, you could go to a seminar at the community center and if still confused, make a half or full hour one-on-one appointment. Since they serve seniors, the consultation could be by phone. The seminar leader was a SHIP employee with years of insurance background, the consultant who met with us a retired state insurance employee, the best advice ever since she knew every employer plan and all BC/BS plans by heart. Completely unbiased advise tailored to your situation. No sales job like those "free seminars"...this is for real.
MickiSue..I turn 65 in Februrary, A very good year. It was way more complicated when my DH did two years ago, this time it is just "I'll have what he's having".

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-12-15 at 11:40.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...you could go to a seminar at the community center...

I hadn't even thought of the local senior center - it's pretty new. But I know they have classes of various kinds there, so probably SSA help. And it's only 1/2 hour away instead of 2 hours!

Thanks!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

It was a good year, wasn't it, Janet?

At 19, I was a charter subscriber to Ms. magazine. Heady times!