Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:06
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I think sometimes people are afraid to comment on weight loss. I remember a guy in our office started losing weight - we noticed and talked about it amongst ourselves, about how much healthier he was looking and the new clothes and the healthy lunches and no beers after work. But no one said anything to him for ages.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:43

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 332/282/250 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
I think sometimes people are afraid to comment on weight loss. I remember a guy in our office started losing weight - we noticed and talked about it amongst ourselves, about how much healthier he was looking and the new clothes and the healthy lunches and no beers after work. But no one said anything to him for ages.

I think that you're correct about this. I mean, in MY office it's more that I work with a lot of vipers who can't stand to issue a compliment unless there's a way to make it backhanded ... but in most offices, I think people are afraid that any appearance-based compliment could cause offense.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:57

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack

Haha, actually I'm not complaining about the lack of compliments because one major roadblock that held back my weight loss efforts for a long time was that I DON'T want compliments.
In fact, I was actually terrified and angry at the idea that I might get people commenting if I lost weight.
I'm mostly over it now, but I'm still definitely not upset at the lack of them. If I never get any comments about losing weight that's more than fine with me!

More of it's that I want to be in smaller sizes. I have a few pairs of jeans that have been too small for a few months.
I haven't worn shorts in 3 summers, and so I'm looking at other women in their shorts wistfully.
Plus, I REALLY want to go swimming!
I'd do it now, except I literally can't because I don't have a bathing suit that fits.
I'm guessing you know how expensive plus size swimwear is, and money is very tight for me so would it be quicker to save up the money for a larger suit or to just slim into the one I have that's a little too tight to be appropriate? I really can't say. I guess I'll find out, because I've realized how slow going this is so I've started setting a few bucks aside.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 11:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mlette
Hi~ s-piper ~ I have to ask, what is the paper-towel comparison? Sounds like we are around the same weight with similar results. I started at 298 six weeks ago, and have lost 20... I don't look any different really, but I feel like I have a neck again.

And Merpig~ that name cracks me up

The paper-towel analogy is one I frequently see on r/xxketo.
It's that losing weight when you have a lot to lose is like a roll of paper towels. When the roll is full you can take several sheets off and it still looks mostly the same, but as the roll gets smaller each sheet removed makes more of a difference.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 11:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
So time will pass anyway, and won't it be nicer to be thinner then? What Mrs. K said above was totally true. For 40-50 pounds I really felt no different, even my clothes didn't really feel different, and I had not even dropped down into a smaller size. But almost overnight, at about the 50-pound mark, a bunch of people suddenly began noticing and asking me if I had lost weight.

That's a good point. Plus, I'm a woman who carries weight well, so if I gain 10lbs (which I can almost do just in water weight at that TOM) it isn't really noticeable, where as my size 0 friends struggle to button their jeans if they gain 10lbs.
So I guess it's only logical it would work the same way in reverse.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 11:45
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

My wife commented on my weight loss yesterday -- which she does not often do. In fact, about the only comment up to now that I can recall is that she'd said that I had "completely lost my butt" (which I had). With my spare tire around the middle, I can't pull my pants up far enough to fill in the seat of my britches. It will be better when my spare tire is gone.

Anyway, about my wife's comment yesterday... She was wondering if I was taking this too far. Hadn't I lost enough weight? My first thought was 'Are you kidding me?' I pulled up one leg of my shorts and exposed my giggly inner thigh. I lifted up my shirt and rattled my giggly spare tire. I said "No - I have not lost enough yet. I'm still 50 pounds from getting out of the obese category and 80 pounds from a normal BMI!" My face is getting thinner. But it was much thinner when she married me. A thin face is a family trait and my weight gain has just been masking that for a few decades.

I was surprised by the comment. But then I remembered that member bworthey had received a similar comment from his wife at about the same weight. There was a lot of discussion in that thread and I think some of it applies here in my case. She may be feeling a bit insecure, or something. I'm nowhere near being done yet. I'm not even close to skinny.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Jul-27-15 at 11:50.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 18:47
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Absolutely, Ken, it's really likely that insecurity may be at the heart of the comment. Relationship issues are really common in couples with large weight loss - the one who hasn't lost feels insecure, or the one who has lost realises that things are not working for them in the relationship and finally is able to make a break. It can be a very scary time for non losing member of the couple.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 06:48

Plan: Atkins '72 low carbs
Stats: 303/233/203 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default My Thoughts This Morning

Today, I hit 25 lbs lost in 68 days, a new low. That is one quarter the way to my goal of losing 100 pounds in a year. That's 75 lbs more to lose in a little under ten more months. Very achievable. Just need to stick with this WOE. I need to shed one more pound by the end of this week to meet my July goal of losing 10 lbs in July. So I am making good progress and happy with myself.

I still wear the same clothes as I did when I started, they just feel looser and roomier. I like loose clothes anyway. Never have liked the "tight, snug" look. Never had the body for it even when I was young and thinner. As a result, I do have a bunch of one size smaller shirts and shorts (I'm from Arizona and now live in Florida--I seldom, if ever, wear long pants--too hot) boxed up in the attic, but resist getting them out yet because I don't want to wear any of them until I lose more because they might be snug. Better for me to wait until they will fit comfy instead of tight.

My next interim goal or target weight loss is already set. I want to lose 10 more pounds by September 4th when I have my annual doctor's check-up and fasting blood work done. I'm anxious to see how all my numbers look after being on Atkins for 3 months and to see how pleased my doctor will be with my weight loss progress. So starting August 1st, I will be focused on losing 10 lbs in 5 weeks. That's 2 lbs a week. Slow, steady progress. Patience.

My wife of 40 years has complimented me on my weight loss several times now. She says my face is thinner and my belly is shrinking. Of course, she only weighs 103 lbs dripping wet, and regularly taunts me by eating cookies, sweet rolls, pasta, and popcorn (my favorite) in front of me. She does it in fun. She also does it because she can get away with eating that way (her nickname was String Bean when we met in the Air Force) and she knows I have enough discipline not to fall back into eating those things myself. Only my best friend and wife of 40 years could be so frank with me about my weight. I am so blessed to be married to her.

Continuing good luck to everyone else on their weight loss progress. It's a journey we all have. We're in this battle together.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 16:44

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Came across this YouTube video the other day and I thought she had some good points about plus size clothing sizes having a bigger size range than average size. Also that as we get bigger we don't want to go to the next size so will buy stretchy clothes so as not to have to buy a size bigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjX1UNTvJFE