Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 13:08

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default A standard triple didget whine...

I've lost 15 lbs, but don't look any different.
I'm trying to hold onto the paper-towel comparison, but it gets frustrating. Still not in smaller pants, either. My tops fit better though, and I've added a few that were a bit too small to be appropriate before back into my rotation...so there's that.

Any tips on keeping in the right frame of mind on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 08:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
I've lost 15 lbs, but don't look any different.
I'm trying to hold onto the paper-towel comparison, but it gets frustrating. Still not in smaller pants, either. My tops fit better though, and I've added a few that were a bit too small to be appropriate before back into my rotation...so there's that.

Any tips on keeping in the right frame of mind on this?

Hmmmm....let me see.....perhaps you would do better focusing on sticking to your plan and getting the behaviors right and consistent. The '90 day challenge' here in the TDC is all about doing that.

You probably won't see a difference until you're about 40-50 lbs down. Be grateful for your loss to date. You are doing well.
Keep up all your hard work.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 09:14

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I can so relate and this has more to do with body type than anything else. I lose first in my ankles, next in my thighs, then all of my butt, then arms then maybe slowly I start to lose in places where it counts for clothing sizes. When I was your weight it took 40-50 pounds to really go down a size. You are doing great.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 14:19

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

one day and lb at a time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-15, 10:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

I've yoyo'd so many times... and each time, it's taken quite some time for ppl to notice any change in me. Often the first place I notice it is in my fingers ie, my rings get loose. then i notice my underwear.. lol --your bra fits better. you're probably noticing things like that, especially if you're into some of your smaller clothes. Take heart in the little changes and the big changes will come. Our journey is a marathon, not a sprint, so 15 lbs down, is like being in the first 30 minutes of running a marathon (if that makes much sense..?)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 22:57

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

I understand your frustrations. I have yoyoed MANY times and when I lose proportionately its the hardest to tell at large size. Everything is a tiny bit smaller instead of really noticing it in one place. One time I was losing everything but my tummy and I swore I was getting bigger instead of smaller because my tummy looked HUGE. It caught up eventually, thankfully!

Try to stay positive. You are noticing small changes already! That is fantastic! This is a long road and generally people wont start noticing until you get to the 40ish pound mark. Its kind of funny... you will get frustrated that no one is noticing your loss then all of a sudden everyone will comment on your huge loss all at the same time! That happens to me everytime I lose a significant amount of weight. This is going to be the LAST time i lose it though! ---famous last words!---

Best of luck, you are off to an amazing start!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 05:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

<Sigh>, when you are a TDCer 15 pounds here or there is probably more like a drop in the bucket.

When I first decided I had to do something about my weight I was close to 400 pounds. At that weight you can't even comprehend what it is to be "normal". Even my doctor didn't expect "normal". She merely said if I could just get below 300 it would be a huge improvement for me.

But when you are starting at 375+ even getting below 300 seems like a monumental undertaking. And of course when you start you want to see results *instantly*. Losing 5 or 10 or 15 pounds was as nothing, and got me discouraged at first. I found myself thinking "this is going to take me YEARS, and I want to see results NOW".

But what finally helped me get my head around it was saying to myself, "Well whether I work on changing my WOE or not the years are still going to pass anyway, so in five years do I still want to be almost 400 pounds? Or do I want to be somewhat lower?"

That mindset helped me take a longer view, which is something we TDCers have to accept. Not for us the crash diet to fit into our "skinny"dress for a party next weekend. Not for us the "get ready for bathing suit weather" beginning in early June.

So time will pass anyway, and won't it be nicer to be thinner then? What Mrs. K said above was totally true. For 40-50 pounds I really felt no different, even my clothes didn't really feel different, and I had not even dropped down into a smaller size. But almost overnight, at about the 50-pound mark, a bunch of people suddenly began noticing and asking me if I had lost weight.

Same with me, I "suddenly" noticed one day that a friend looked a bit thinner and asked if she had lost weight, and turned out she was down 35 pounds. I saw her every week at church, but never noticed until that point. And I got a lot of new clothes out of it as I was about the size then to fit into her "big" clothes and she gave a bunch to me.

It's still a struggle every day. Heck, my CURRENT weight is about your starting weight as per your stats, but I still have hope. Right now I've started on an alternate day eating plan and it seems to be working really well so far. Good luck!

Even though I'm still obese I've managed to keep 25-30% of my starting weight off for nearly 6 years which puts me ahead of over 95% of the people who go on diets, so I keep telling myself I'm not a total failure even though my goal still eludes me!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 17:25

Plan: quasi-Atkins
Stats: 298/275/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi~ s-piper ~ I have to ask, what is the paper-towel comparison? Sounds like we are around the same weight with similar results. I started at 298 six weeks ago, and have lost 20... I don't look any different really, but I feel like I have a neck again.

And Merpig~ that name cracks me up

Last edited by m0mlette : Tue, Jul-21-15 at 09:05.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-15, 20:59

Plan: Atkins '72 low carbs
Stats: 303/233/203 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default To s-piper

Patience is the key. I started at 303 and have lost 22 lbs in 60 days. My wife was gone on a trip for the first 5 weeks I was on the Atkins diet and the first thing she noticed when she got back was that my face and neck were thinner. My belly is down and my shorts are looser around my waist. Not gone but smaller. One thing about losing weight over a long time is that you don't lose it in certain areas you may want right away, but all over. So noticing the weight loss when you start out very heavy to begin with, may be hard to notice at first.

Sometimes people around you don't notice your weight loss at first until all of the sudden, one day, they do. I remember being on Atkins 15 years ago and I lost 35 lbs in 3 months. I was taking a yoga class at the time and the people in the class, and even my instructor, didn't notice until I mentioned it one day myself because certain asanas or poses were easier for me. Then all of the sudden I got several comments from people who thought I had lost weight but were afraid to say anything.

My motivating factor with sticking with this Atkins diet is obviously better health, but my daily walks are easier on me, I can do chores around the farm easier, I don't have as much trouble breathing when I bend over to do something, I sleep better, and my clothes aren't as tight and binding. I just feel better being lighter. I've adjusted to the foods to eat on this diet and will continue it as long as I keep losing. I started out wanting to lose at least 100 lbs. in a year. Seems overwhelming. But now, after two months and 22 lbs lighter, I can reset my sights at only having to lose 78 lbs in the next 10 months. That's less than 8 lbs a month, with is achievable.

Look at your weight loss as a large hole you're tasked to dig. Viewed as a whole, it can be an intimidating and overwhelming task. But if you look at it as just one shovelful (or pound) at a time, it will seem far easier. Stay the course and good luck.

Last edited by HotHunt : Tue, Jul-21-15 at 05:41.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 08:59

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey, s-piper!

There were a couple things I did to stay motivated in the beginning when my weight release wasn't showing.

First, I kept a small note book where I wrote down any and all non-scale victories. Things like: resisted the donut and can get up X number of steps before I started feeling out of breath. I kept it in my purse and wrote stuff down almost daily for the first 3 months. When I started getting down, I would break out the notebook and see how far I'd come. It gave me motivation to keep going.

The second thing I did was get a calendar that I put up in a spot that I would see it often. For me, it was in my bathroom. Each day I stayed on plan I would put a sticker on the day. It may seem childish, but it was fun to put on that sticker each day. Plus I had a visual of how I was doing. It works so well for me that I started adding a sticker for each day I work out as well.

That is not to say I don't struggle. Sometimes looking forward too far seems overwhelming. Sometimes looking at the right now is frustrating - been within the same 3 pounds for about a month now with no cheats. I can't control the scale, but I can control what I do. When the scale or the mirror is being evil, than I shift back to my non-scale victories and the progress I have made in developing healthy habits.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 11:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

What everyone else said. When we are larger, it takes more pounds to go down a size. has to do with size being volume=3 dimensions and pounds of course is only one dimension. Math is fun right?

From size 8 to 6 = 5 pounds for my sister
from size 28 to 26 = 35 pounds for me

Is how you look, your goal? waiting weeks between sizes does nothing for instant gratification in my book!

Do you have other goals?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-15, 12:51

Plan: <30 Net Carbs
Stats: 270/210/130 Female 5'4"
BF:51/45/ ???
Progress: 43%

I've lost 29 lbs and gone down 2 pants sizes and have yet to get a single comment on my weight loss. I'm just starting to see it, but nobody else has noticed.

I think that while the change if measurable, it's not enough of a proportional difference to be visible to others (or even me sometimes). And that's alright!

I feel good about what I'm doing and the progress I'm making, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Eventually it'll be visible to everyone!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 06:27

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I started my diet journey about 1 1/2 years ago. It took over 50 lbs lost before anyone started to notice and comment on it. I did notice that my face was looking thinner after the first 20 lbs or so. And my measurements told me my thighs were losing inches first!

Since everyone loses differently in different places, be sure to measure yourself - I make a point to do it monthly, since then you can see measurable results. And take before photos of yourself so you can compare them monthly! I am so happy I have done this. There are days when I still feel so fat, and my mirror reflects a fat person yet, but when I look at my side-by-side, I can really see the difference! Here is a collage of my progress which I need to update soon!

Patience, perseverance and diligence have all helped me get as far as I have come. And although I still have over 40 lbs to lose, I know I will eventually get there. Start recording your small victories, as they add up tremendously! And even though you may not see anything right now, YOU WILL as time goes on! Weight loss is so slow and snail-like that you never notice it, until one day - BAM - you realize that your former tight pants are suddenly falling off!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 07:46
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Yes for us in the TDC it is difficult to see progress on our bodies. Although some of clothes are starting to fall off of me, I don't really look any different except maybe in my face - I have progress pics in the gallery at 40lbs down and 80lbs down and I think there's a difference.

But for us I think we need to look at different victories we're having as others have already stated. For me, the fact of now staying on plan through three 90 day challenges tells me how far I've come. Also, last night I was watching tv and an advert of one of my previously loved sugary treats came on......and nothing, no desire to eat it at all. so I pushed it a bit further and tried to imagine eating it......and nothing, no craving at all. I imagined eating some pan fried salmon with butter and my mouth watered and I was thinking 'yum'. This is a huge victory for me - far better than seeing a change in my body from weight loss - I DON'T WANT TO EAT SUGAR. This is the biggest win I could possibly imagine.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 08:14

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 332/282/250 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 61%

Yes, this is one of the things I struggled most with in the first several months. I started at 332, so all I could think of was how long it would take me to reach goal. I mean, it's really overwhelming. And honestly, I felt like you until very recently... I looked in the mirror, and I couldn't see that much of a difference. I was actually pretty bummed about it, because I also haven't received any comments about my loss either. I was really afraid that the changes weren't visible. So the other day, despite the fact that I have been afraid of having my photo taken up until now, I just decided to 'woman up' and take a photo for comparison. And you know, I can notice a major difference. So I think some of us just aren't able to see the changes in our bodies... but that doesn't mean that they aren't happening!

Actually, one kind of cliche thing that has been of comfort to me is to visualize just how large one pound of fat is. My doctor's office has a model of this, and it's really surprisingly big. Plus super gross looking. So if you look at it like that, it doesn't really matter if it's visual yet or not--sooner or later, it will have to be. Google it if you think it will help you to get a visual... trust me, 15 pounds of fat is huge!