Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 14:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%

I HAD A LOOK AT THE KISS STUFF, THANKS, AND DECIDED TO LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE. I AM HAVING A HARD ENOUGH TIME RIGHT NOW WITHOUT ADDING ANY EXTRA RESTRICTIONS.

MY WEIGHT IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE (WELL, NOT IN THE DIRECTION I WANT IT TO ANYWAY), AND IT IS VERY DISHEARTENING. I AM PREMENSTRUAL AS WELL, SO THAT MAKES EVERYTHING FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN IT NEEDS TO BE

I SEEM TO BE STUCK, AND IT IS SO FRUSTRATING WHEN I AM "BEHAVING". NEVER MIND, IT'LL ALL COME OUT IN THE WASH, AS MY DADDY USED TO SAY.

I'LL JUST KEEP ON DOING WHAT I'M DOING, AND ONE OF THESE DAYS, WHOOSH!

I HOPE ALL IS WELL AT YOUR END.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 14:57

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'm having the same problem. I've lost 5 - 6 lbs. and stopped. I DID end up cheating over the weekend but I didn't gain anything and I got right back to eating right when I got home.
This seems to be my pattern since I lost a good amount and gained it back again.
At least I'm not gaining anymore!
Good luck to you.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 02:54

BF:

IS THIS FRUSTRATING OR WHAT?!? I LOOK AT PEOPLE WHO DO THINGS ALL THE WRONG WAY AND LOSE WEIGHT (LIKE MY HUSBAND'S AUNT WHO DOES NOT EAT), AND IT IS SO TEMPTING. HOWEVER, ALL I HAVE TO DO IS REMIND MYSELF "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT".

I MEAN, I GOT THIN FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER A WHILE BACK. I GOT MARRIED IN 1996, AND WEIGHED 140 ON MY WEDDING DAY. I WAS GORGEOUS (SHE SAID MODESTLY). OF COURSE, I HADN'T EATEN SENSIBLY FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG, I WAS BEING SICK, AND GENERALLY SAW ONLY WEIGHT LOSS AND NOT HEALTH

AS SOON AS I STARTED EATING AGAIN, UP I WENT I MANAGED TO ONLY PUT ON ABOUT 20 POUNDS AT FIRST, AND STAYED THERE FOR ABOUT A YEAR, THEN WE MOVED TO INVERNESS, AND WITHIN A YEAR, I HAD PUT ON ANOTHER 40 POUNDS, THEN MORE ADDED TO THAT. ON MY 40TH BIRTHDAY (FEBRUARY 2001), I WEIGHED 235. MY ALL-TIME HIGH, HOWEVER, WHEN I WAS MARRIED TO MY FIRST HUSBAND (GOD BLESS HIM AND ALL WHO SAIL IN HIM) WAS 250.

SO, I THINK OF ALL THAT, REMIND MYSELF THAT I AM UNDER 200 AGAIN AT LAST, AND I THINK MAYBE I'M NOT DOING SO BADLY AFTER ALL

YOU HANG ON IN THERE, SWEETIE. IF I CAN DO THIS ANYBODY CAN!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 06:26

BF:

Thanks, Beth. Sounds like you've had more than any one person needs to deal with in a lifetime!
I went down 1# when I weighed this morning so I'm hoping maybe this is a break to my stall....we'll see.
I did get the tape measure out and just measure a couple of places and I have lost 1 1/2 inches around my waist! So now I feel like I AM losing inches, albeit very slowly.
They say the first place you lose is the last place you put it on, so my waist would make sense. I have a small waist compared to the rest of me.
I see alot of peoples' posts where they've been stalled up to a year! I hope and pray that I can keep my willpower if that should happen to me.
Hopefully with yours and everyone else's support, I can do it.
Thank you.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 12:21

BF:

HEY, THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR

WELL DONE ON THAT POUND, BTW! EVERY ONE IS A LITTLE VICTORY IN ITSELF.

AS FOR A YEAR-LONG STALL, I THINK I'D SHOOT MYSELF! I USED TO THINK LOSING A POUND A WEEK WAS SLOWER THAN SLOW; THESE DAYS IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETTY SPEEDY PROGRESS WOW, A POUND A WEEK, WOULDN'T THAT BE GREAT? SIGH.

WELL, I'M OFF FIRST THING IN THE MORNING (BEFORE FIRST THING ACTUALLY!). TOMORROW CHRIS HAS AN EXAM FOR THE COURSE HE WAS AWAY IN EDINBURGH FOR LAST WEEK. WE HAVE TO DRIVE DOWN (4 HOURS, PLUS A WAIT AT THE FORTH ROAD BRIDGE THAT COULD BE 5 MINUTES OR TWO HOURS), HIS EXAM IS AT 10, THEN BACK UP AGAIN. HE HAS THE USE OF A COLLEGE CAR, SO ONLY HE CAN DRIVE IT, POOR THING!

SO, YOU MIGHT NOT HEAR FOR A FEW DAYS. AFTER GETTING UP TO LEAVE AT 4 A.M., I MIGHT NOT BE UP TO MUCH FOR A DAY OR SO. STILL, BETTER THAT THAN WORRYING ALL DAY THAT HE FELL ALSEEP AT THE WHEEL. I'M HAPPIER G0ING ALONG TO PROD HIM NOW AND THEN

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:07

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just to make it perfectly clear: never should anyone doing low carbing have a regular orange soda with sugar in it. You may however have a diet orange soda OR sparkling water flavored with orange, lemon, or lime.

From Atkins site:

Can I have diet soda while doing Atkins?

Spring, mineral or filtered tap water and herb teas are your best fluid options. If you must have soda, avoid caffeinated colas and look for brands, such as Diet Rite, sweetened with sucralose. Be sure to add any carbohydrates in these drinks to your daily carb count.

Atkins sells "make your own sugarless soda syrups":
Nutrtional Info
Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrup - Cola
Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrup - Ginger Ale
Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrup - Lemon Lime
Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrup - Root Beer

AtkinsTM Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrups! How about a nice thirst-quenching glass of Cola, Root Beer, Ginger Ale or Lemon Lime soda? Think you can't? Well think again! AtkinsTM Sugar Free Soda Flavored Syrups use sucralose so you can create a soda-pop sensation with all the sweetness you crave - and no sugar or apartame! Just mix into a glass of club soda or seltzer and enjoy a cool glass of refreshment anytime.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 14:12

BF:

Voyager,
Thanks for the info. When I first started and read that, I went to the store and looked at the label and saw how much sugar was in orange soda and knew I'd never drink it. Don't drink much more than water these days. Crystal Light on occasion.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 06:09

BF:

Beth,
Hope your trip went well.
I think I finally broke my stall. I lost 3# this past week! I was almost scared to change my profile because I'm so afraid I will gain it back.
I did finally motivate myself to start working out and I'm sure that's got alot to do with it. That's quite an accomplishment for me and I'm proud of myself! (As she pats herself on the back)
I've got some depressing things going on in my life right now and working out is really helping lift my spirits.
I will measure myself next weekend (which will be 4 1/2 weeks LC'ing.) I'm excited for the results of that.
Hope the scale has moved down for you some.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 12:26

BF:

WELL DONE!!! YOU'RE DOING GRAND!

TRUE TO FORM, I FINALLY RAN THE RISK OF CHANGING MY PROFILE, AND THEN WENT UP A POUND MY BODY AND I DO NOT SEEM TO WORK TOGETHER VERY WELL.

THE TRIP WAS FINE, IF LONG. CHRIS PASSED HIS EXAM (OF COURSE; I KNEW HE WOULD EVEN IF HE DIDN'T), AD WE HAD A NICE AFTERNOON SIGHTSEEING IN A TOWN CALLED DUNFERMLINE, WHERE ROBERT THE BRUCE'S BODY (ALL BUT HIS HEART! THAT IS BURIED SOMEWHERE ELSE) IS BURIED.

WE GOT UP BEFORE 4 A.M., LEFT BEFORE 5, AND WEREN'T HOME UNTIL ALMOST 10 P.M. MECHTY, WHAT A DAY. I HAVE DONE VIRTUALLY NOTHING SINCE, BUT BY GOLLY DID I WALK ON FRIDAY. MY LEGS AREN'T HAPPY ABOUT COOPERATING, BUT, BLESS THEM, THEY STILL WORK AS WELL AS THEY CAN.

I AM SO PROUD FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUCCESS AND DETERMINATION-YOU GO GIRL!
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:10

BF:

Well, the same thing happened to me. I changed my profile and gained the 3 lbs. back! I think it's a jinx when you do that!
I need to get out of the habit of weighing myself every morning. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.
Back to square one! I'm not changing my profile back, tho. It'll give me something to work towards.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 12:22

BF:

POOR YOU, I KNOW THAT FEELING SO WELL! WE'RE THE JINX TWINS WHEN IT COMES TO OUR PROFILES, I GUESS I WEIGH EVERY DAY. THIS WHOLE "WHAT YOU SHOULDSHOULDN'T DO" THING THAT PEOPLE DO IS SO UNFORTUNATE, BECAUSE EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. SOME PEOPLE DO BETTER WHEN THEY DON'T WEIGH OFTEN, WHEREAS IT HELPS OTHERS. I LIKE WEIGHING EVERY DAY. WHEN I WEIGH LESS OFTEN, IT BECOMES THIS REALLY BIG DEAL, AND I GET SO DOWN IF I HAVEN'T LOST LOTS. WHEN I WEIGH EVERY DAY AND GO UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, DOWN, UP... IT IS LESS IMPORTANT TO ME. IT IS JUST ONE MORE THNG I DO EVERY DAY.

WHEN I WAS DOING C.A.D., THEY TOLD YOU TO WEIGH EVERY DAY, THEN AVERAGE WEIGHTS AT THE END OF THE WEEK. I DID THAT FOR AGES, BUT NOW JUST DO THE DAILY WEIGH-IN.

KEEP ON KEEPING. THOSE 3 POUNDS WILL GO AWAY AND STAY AWAY NEXT TIME!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 07:42

BF:

I agree about weighing every day. I figure if I do, if I happen to eat something that throws me off, I'll know it right away. I also use the ketosis strips every day although I'm a little disheartened to find out that they don't distinguish between fat being burned and dietary fat you're eating. I figure at least I know that the fat I'm eating isn't getting stored...
I still haven't officially started PP. I'm kind of doing my own. I'm scared to death to add fruit until I start losing again. I'm doing Atkins but eating a fair share of low carb veggies including my salad every day for lunch.
I've even been forcing myself to take flaxseed oil. Yuck!
I've been taking cod liver oil capsules because there is NO WAY on God's green earth I will take the liquid form. I've been thinking about fish oil capsules but the "rancid" thing in PP makes me think twice.
We're doing all the right things so I know we will start losing when our bodies say it's the right time. We just need to hang in there!!!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:00

BF:

MMM, FLAX SEED OIL I TAKE THAT BUT IN CAPSULE FORM; I DON'T FANCY TRYING THE OIL ON ITS OWN-ICKY POO! YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I AM, GUNGHA DIN!

AS IT IS THAT T.O.M., I'M PRETTY BOLSHY, AND DECIDED I WANTED DESSERT TONIGHT I GOT SOME RASPBERRIES AND STRAWBERRIES AND MELON (SMALL CONTAINSERS OF THEM), SPLIT THEM BETWEEN MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF, AND POURED DOUBLE CREAM OVER THE LOT. NOT EXACTLY THE LOWEST CARB THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD, BUT NO SUGAR, OR EVEN HI-CARB FRUIT. IT WAS FINE, AND I DIDN'T CRAVE MORE, SO THAT'S GOOD NEWS. I WOULDN'T WANT TO RISK IT TOO OFTEN, THOUGH.

MY LATEST DISCOVERY THAT WAY (SWEET WISE) IS NO-SUGAR-ADDED CAROB BARS. AS I HAVEN'T HAD ANY SUGAR SINCE APRIL, I'M PRETTY O.K. ABOUT IT, AND I GUESS MY TASTEBUDS ARE CHANGING. I FIND THE CAROB QUITE NICE. THE UNSWEETENED STUFF HAS ABOUT 20 GRAMS OF CARBS. PER 100. I HAVE NEVER HAD MORE THAN 50 GRAMS (CANDY BAR SIZE) AT ONCE, SO IT HASN'T DONE ME ANY HARM AS OF YET. O.K., SO IT ISN'T CHOCOLATE, BUT I REALLY QUITE LIKE IT FOR ITSELF. IT S HARD TO FIND THOUGH TYPICAL!

I'M NOT EXACTLY CLIMBING THE WALLS FOR SWEET THINGS, BUT IT IS SURE NICE NOW AND THEN, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS AN "ALLOWABLE" TREAT, AND EVEN MORESO AT THIS T.O.M..

BTW, I FORGOT TO WEIGH THIS MORNING THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 14:26

BF:

I tend to do pretty well as far as cravings as long as I take my supplements. I can be at a get together where everyone's eating cake and be fine. That's one thing I love about this WOE. I'm never hungry unless I let myself go too long without eating and I don't normally crave things. If I smell bread or toast, I really miss eating it. Sometimes I could kill for some macaroni and cheese but I like what I read about the CAD. If I feel I MUST have something like that, I'll eat it and make sure it's within the hour. I've even thought about checking out the CAD. It would really be nice to know that I could have something I really want for an hour each day. I guess I'd have to see how well disciplined I'd stay...
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 02:29

BF:

I LOVED C.A.D. FOR AWHILE, BUT THAT HOUR GOT TO BE THE FOCUS OF MY WHOLE DAY. I WAS OBSESSED BY IT, AND THAT WASN'T GOOD FOR ME. I HAVE DONE BETTER JUST KEEPING COMPLETELY AWAY FROM STUFF. HAVING SAID THAT, C.A.D WORKS BRILLIANTLY FOR SOME PEOPLE, SO I WOULDN'T WANT TO KNOCK IT. C.A.D. WASN'T THE PROBLEM, I WAS

WHEN I WAS ON HOLIDAY IN APRIL, I DID C.A.D. A FEW TIMES WHEN I WAS PRSENTED WITH A MEAL THAT WAS IN NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM LO-CARB FRIENDLY (LIKE IN CHINATOWN, WHERE NO ONE IN THE RESTAURANT SPOKE ENGLISH, SO I COULDN'T EVEN ASK ABOUT STUFF!). I REALLY ENJOYED MY MEAL, THEN WENT RIGHT BACK TO ATKINS (PRE-P.P.).

THESE DAYS I SEEM TO BE DOING A BIT MORE MY OWN THING. I AM PROBABLY P.P. OR ATKINS O.W.L., BUT I AM NOT RIGIDLY COUNTING AND MEASURING AND WEIGHING AND STUFF. IT MAKES ME CRAZY AFTER AWHILE. THE THING IS, IF I EAT LOTS OF PROTEIN, AND THE ONLY CARBS I USUALLY GET ARE L.C. VEGETABLES, WITH A BIT OF LIVE YOGURT THROWN IN FOR THE CANDIDA (AND THE OCCASIONAL CAROB BAR), HOW CAN I BE TOO FAR AWAY?

STARCHES ARE JUST NOT IN MY UNIVERSE, NOR IS SUGAR, NOR MOST HIGH-CARBNESS, SO I FIGURE I'LL GET THERE IN THE END. BALANCING THE LOW-CARB, THE ANTI-CANDIDA AND THE GLUTEN-FREE DIETS IS A NEAT TRICK I'M PRETTY IMPRESSED THAT I'M MANAGING ACTUALLY-I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I COULD JUGGLE