Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 05:48

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I think a LC forum like this will have mostly abstainers. If we could have moderated our food intake over the years, we would not be here using Low Carb to lose weight, cutting out entire categories like bread and pasta. Sigh. It is accepting that we have to be abstainers that's hard. Monitoring is a habit I somehow need to re-establish. I add my weight and breakfast to MFP every morning and then never return rest of day..thinking maybe I need to go back to how I started..just a paper and pencil in kitchen, note carbs only.

I weigh most everything out of habit. It is a helpful habit. When I have stopped weighing and measuring I start to slip. This is what happened for me with nuts. I used to be able to weigh them precisely and keep myself within the limit I set but then the tendency to just have a few more set in and I would find myself eating more than was beneficial. Now there are no nuts in the house. Same with dark chocolate. For a while I could manage to only eat one square a day but then I began to slip so dark chocolate had to go. Any attempt to re-introduce it led to the same slippage. I have said what I believe is a final good-bye to dark chocolate. In fact I have discovered that I can't really have any easy snack foods in the house because I don't seem to be able to moderate. My mother was a moderator. She was never fat. She would get a half gallon of ice cream and have a bowl most evenings but never several bowls like I would do. This seemed to just come naturally to her. She wasn't trying to control her weight. She was just eating and then not eating, seemingly easily, without effort. That isn't me. I must abstain.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 05:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I know I have to abstain with nuts, wine and dark chocolate also...I just can't seem to do it anymore. I listened to another good podcast interview yesterday (while walking..I pair podcasts which I enjoy only with exercise, or driving errands in a car)
http://fatburningman.com/gretchen-r...et-a-puppy/#ath
But still trying to find the technique that will help me say goodbye to almond butter for good.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 08:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
I know I have to abstain with nuts, wine and dark chocolate also...I just can't seem to do it anymore. I listened to another good podcast interview yesterday (while walking..I pair podcasts which I enjoy only with exercise, or driving errands in a car)
http://fatburningman.com/gretchen-r...et-a-puppy/#ath
But still trying to find the technique that will help me say goodbye to almond butter for good.

Tell yourself it's only for a little while. Perhaps, as we have discovered with other foods, the pull will go away. And if it does not, we might fit it in... now that we have learned to live without it.

For a while.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 10:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

The Lightning Bolt looks fantastic and I can't wait to watch the video when I get home from work. Thanks so much for sharing it.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 05:12

I've been better with the almond butter for a few days...finished it and gone. The technique of "Inconvenience". Now to leave it on store shelves too.

Greekribs, Gretchen suggests 21 possible techniques to change habits, and the Lightening Bolt is very powerful, but you can't make yourself have one, or think others will have the same one as you! I laughed at her new interview on FatBurningMan...how frustrated she gets when she gives WhyWeGetFat to others and they don't see how obvious it is that you must cut carbs. That's me! WWGF is an easier read than GCBC, it has Dr Westman's simple clinic plan in the back...yet people return the book to me and say they don't get it, can't give up bread or pasta..definitely no "lightening bolt" and no interest in using another habit change technique to eat healthier.
If you don't have a "lightening bolt" she listed the top change techniques in those .pdfs for Eating and Exercising Better Than Before.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 05:35

BF:

Quote:
how frustrated she gets when she gives WhyWeGetFat to others and they don't see how obvious it is that you must cut carbs. That's me! WWGF is an easier read than GCBC, it has Dr Westman's simple clinic plan in the back...yet people return the book to me and say they don't get it, can't give up bread or pasta..definitely no "lightening bolt" and no interest in using another habit change technique to eat healthier.

I don't get it either. All I can figure is that people's attachment to high carb foods is greater than their desire to do something to change their weight and health. If you've tried other methods of weight loss and they haven't succeeded in the longterm, why not try this one, just to see? Why not make an attempt to understand what might first sound non-sensical? The strength of the motivation for change has to be sufficient to overcome the strength of the habit, then disbelief must be suspended at least temporarily, which shouldn't be so hard, but it is for many people.

Jean
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 06:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well done on the almond butter Jey.
For those that can't accept a life with minimal carbs, perhaps they should consider why they feel like that! It really proves how addictive they are.
I confess I used to feel exactly like that. Didn't want to see a future without chocolate, biscuits etc. Cut that out then didn't want to think I would permanently have to give up bread, potatoes etc. Now none of them have a hold over me, as long as I don't get complacent.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-16, 09:09

BF:

"I can't live without bread."

And that's it. End of thinking. Some of us have more susceptibility to Reality than others
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
"I can't live without bread."
And that's it. End of thinking. Some of us have more susceptibility to Reality than others

I have one college friend whose reality includes severe health effects from morbid obesity (3 joint replacements, COPD, MD) Five years of sending her information, offers to fly to NYC to clean out kitchen, cook, whatever would help most. Instead two months ago she started the NYU weight program of two shakes and a 600 cal. dinner, and she is finding it hard to follow when she goes out with friends (read.. she is cheating like mad). I weep, but she can't face giving up bread and crackers.

On Gretchen's Resource page she also has a checklist of the 21 Strategies for Habit Change. If you want to know more about how one strategy could work for you,search for it on her website for more detail.

http://www.gretchenrubin.com/wp-con...e_checklist.pdf
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 09:11

BF:

Quote:
I weep, but she can't face giving up bread and crackers.

I had a co-worker who was a bit older than me, and we both had weight issues. I went Atkins, lost many pounds, but also cleared up a lot of health issues as I went more and more into embracing change.

Like dropping artificial sweeteners and gluten, getting more Paleo/grassfed/cooking more, exploring supplements, and lately, fixing my own endocrine issues as medical professionals were no help at all. I was willing to revamp my entire life.

She went the opposite way; more and more drugs, then the beginnings of diabetes, pain and misery from arthritis and other illnesses. Her last few Facebook posts (we no longer work in the same office) are full of despair.

All to to settle in front of the TV with ice cream, eat cake at birthdays, and enjoy the bread in Italian restaurants? (Excuses she gave me why she couldn't do Atkins.)

I see what I give up as tiny compared to what I get back. Maybe it's because I'm taking the long view, and she's only looking at her next meal.

I wish I knew.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-16, 09:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I see what I give up as tiny compared to what I get back. Maybe it's because I'm taking the long view, and she's only looking at her next meal.

I wish I knew.

I had a friend. She wasn't hugely fat but all her fat was around the middle. She was one of the people who told me that she couldn't do what I was doing. At age 65 she died in her sleep of a heart attack. I know she was taking statins, maybe high blood pressure meds too, I'm not sure. Of course there is no way of knowing whether a dietary change would have saved her from an early death but I sure do wish she had tried. It's sad.

Jean
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-16, 10:20

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 166/156/145 Female 66
BF:24
Progress: 48%

Thanks for this thread Jey100. And thanks to Gretchen. I now know what my problem is. I am an Obliger in rebellion! I will try to explore this further in my journal (very infrequently used)! She talked about this in her podcast series about the four tendencies. It probably explains why I am such a lifelong yo-yoer and now at the age of 64 I am burned out on "trying". Don't want to exercise and want to eat whatever. I am reading her book for the second time more purposefully and trying to glean ideas as how to get out of this rut. So far I see that I really need to clarify my goals and identify what my On Plan foods are. I also think I should start by monitoring my food intake and how it effects me. I would love to see this thread continue as I find it so interesting. Are there any other Obligers in rebellion around here? Successes? Oh yeah and according to her I am an abstainer when I was deluding myself into thinking I was a moderator! That's another blow to my psyche! Another reason to postpone starting as it has that forever feel to it. I guess that forever feeling is reality.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-16, 06:07

We probably all would LIKE to think we are moderators, but as even this thread shows, most long-term successes have had to release that fantasy and become Abstainers.

I can't help with the Obliger in Rebellion ...I am an Uber-Questioner. Most of my posts here have links attached (meaning..if you just read the science you will change ) Sadly that only seems to work for other Questioners! When people ask me about LC or Cancer I have two separate now 6 page documents to send them. Using Gretchen's framework, I now try to figure out what the person's tendency might be and only select the info that might click for them.
Her book has helped me answer questions on this forum too, suggesting ways to monitor or be accountable, while LoopHole Spotting adds an element of fun.

When I reread her book, I printed out the checklist http://www.gretchenrubin.com/wp-con...e_checklist.pdf. And made short notes about how this works IRL. That's what I like about her book vs other self-help books...hers gives concrete examples. And since she is a LCer herself, her Eating suggestions often track what we do on this forum.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 10:56

Podcast today includes an interview with Melissa Hartwig of Whole 30 fame. Oftened suggested as an elimination diet to zero in on food sensitivities, but interesting to hear their comments about how the 30 approach has "Habit Change" baked into its rules. People having a hard time changing their habits around food might find it helpful as well. Interview starts about minute 12, ends minute 24.
http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_...elissa-hartwig/
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-16, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 122/122/122 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

According to this model I am an abstainer and obliger, I totally agree. I need total abstaince, in or out and I do better with external accountability, why I like Atkins and joined a forum!

The part where I am weak is the clarity of.action. what am I.going to eat, when and where will I buy, prepare and eat it? Right now my plannis basically "don't eat carbs". This is not very satisfying fun or creative! Will continue reading the recipe ideas, making lists, trying different things.