Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 20:11

Plan: Low carb/High Fat
Stats: 80/80/80 Male 1.85 cm
BF:
Progress:

Carb-nite is foolish is you ask me. This just seems like a way to justify eating junk. Even if we argue that re-feeds are needed (they're not) then you should refeed with whole foods not junk. If people choose to eat junk one night every week, that's there choice. But one shouldn't fool themselves into thinking its 'healthy.' As for the argument about increasing thyroid hormones then this is a weak argument. Why? After the re-feed the hormones will return back to how they were anyway. Possibly hormones will remain more stable if you don't refeed. Sounds like pseudo-science to me. Not buying it...
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The idea that losing muscle mass along with fat is a negative is not entirely correct.

Let's say Joe weighs 275 lbs, and of that 275, 40% is fat mass, or 110 lbs. The rest is lean, or 165 lbs. Joe loses 100 lbs. His percentage body fat drops to 15%. Now, Joe weighs 175 lbs, and of that, approximately 26 lbs is fat. Leaving a lean body mass of 149 lbs.

He's lost muscle. But he needed greater muscle mass simply to support his higher weight before, that is now not needed. Despite losing muscle, he's significantly leaner than before.

There's that. And there's the sheer stupidity of choosing a WOE that is both healthy and lean-making, and then deliberately throwing it over, on a scheduled basis, in order to eat foods that are bad for you. That lead to inflammation in every part of your body, and the inflammation can't be turned off as easily as one can flush out the water and glycogen.

I'm not male, and I'm not young. And I want my brain to continue to function at the highest level it can. I want the arthritis I already have to stay at its extremely slow level of progressing, since I dumped the grains.

I'm not unique, not a special flower. I have the same physiological responses as WhiteFlower; who wants permission from a forum of strangers to make damaging choices to his/her body.

Sorry. The only one who can give that permission is the OP, because that's who's in charge of his/her diet.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

People conflate muscle mass with lean mass. Even a fat cell has some lean mass associated with it.