Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:24

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Happy Canada Day Lois and any other Canadians on here.

Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 19:45

BF:

I guess I am the only one in the lab today, but I can hold down the fort. Kathy I sympathize with your vertigo. I woke up with it today too. I think we talked about this before. I get the kind that responds to meds. I took a valium right away and later a meclazine. I skipped the pool but made it to my summer college class (adult education).

The electrician and the plumber have both worked hard this week. I feel for them working in the 4 foot crawl space. But at least it is cool in there. It is looking good.

Hasta la vista
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 21:35
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Hello Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
I guess I am the only one in the lab today, but I can hold down the fort. Kathy I sympathize with your vertigo. I woke up with it today too. I think we talked about this before. I get the kind that responds to meds. I took a valium right away and later a meclazine. I skipped the pool but made it to my summer college class (adult education).

At the beginning of the thread you say that everybody is welcome. Susan, I've seen you around. I read that some others here have had trouble with vertigo. I did, too, but I found videos on Youtube that showed me how to correct it at home by myself. Obviously, I had the kind of vertigo that older people get when the crystals in the middle ear move around. Anyway, I don't want to put my entire post here, but I addressed it in my blog. I welcome anybody interested to look at it:
http://www.itaintover.com/natural-health/vertigo

I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody here on the same quest.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 06:00
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids!

Welcome, bluesinger (Glenda)! Yes indeed, all are welcome even fellas. We had one for a long time but he reached goal and disappeared. I miss him and his input. Hmmmm, I'm noticing a color trend going on here.

I finally got myself back on plan. Dumped 2 pounds since yesterday but it was 2 pounds I gained this week. Idontwannatalkaboutit. I got myself squared away. I hope. I have goals to make and I'm futzing around eating things I know stall me (nuts and berries).

One of my biggest problems has been making/not making myself follow an eating schedule. Yesterday I broke the mindset of having to eat and it has been freeing. I would have fast days then eat certain amounts at dinner in order to eat within certain parameters. Then I would want to snack. Yesterday was a fast day for me and for dinner I had just enough to satisfy me and let the macronutrients fall where they may. No urge to snack, no great hunger, no remorse. I ate well, had great percentages but not specific gram amounts of the macros. Works for me. It also helps that Jim was teaching last night so I wasn't forced into dinner. He's been put on alert that I may or may not want dinner some evenings. He's good with that.

I'm sorry to hear about the vertigo. Fortunately I haven't experienced it except with motion sickness and also with keto flu. At those times it made me so nauseated I wanted to die. So what is it about the pool and swimming that seems to exacerbate this condition? Bluesinger, I have to agree with you that I don't embrace everything said to me by physicians either. I'm glad you found relief.

Time to scoot.

Later 'gators.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 11:29

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Hola a todas,

And welcome, Glenda. The dizziness I experience is related to looking at electronic screens, i.e., computer, TV.....

Nothing of interest in the newsy department. Just wanted to check in and say a quick hi.

Happy 4th of July.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 15:02

BF:

Welcome Glenda. That makes 3 of us here with Blue in our name. Interesting.

The vertigo that I get started out as a viral ear infection about 20 years ago. I was told that I might get it again but didn't for many years. In the last 8 or so years I have had it come back from time to time. Always with no obvious reason, although sometimes it will follow after a cold. One time I went to the ER on a Sunday morning because it was so bad. The doctor gave me a valium and it helped right away. Since then I have tried to keep some valium on hand. My doctor will give me a small prescription so I have it available. I take one and it usually goes away within 24 hours. I also take meclizine which works where dramamine does not. My sister in law has the kind where the crystals in the ear get out of whack which I think is worse than the kind I get because I can pretty much put a stop to it quickly.

Blue I did not go to the pool because at the time I would have left home I was still really dizzy and could not walk straight. John drove me to the class and I walked carefully and stayed sitting down for the most part.

Finally ! This morning I was down a little bit. I was getting frustrated having gained 4 pounds in 4 days. I have a pretty good idea what maintainance will look like for me, since I only indulged one meal and it threw me for a loop. That is the only thing that I can think of to cause it. I am happy with me WOE and will likely just keep at it for the most part. I did eat one peach the other day and it was sooooo good. I think fruit will be my indulgence food from now on, not cheese soup with a little potato in it.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-15, 07:20
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

So, I'm down three pounds over the last two days. Works for me. My weight loss trend line on my graph was starting to get an upward slant with all my futzing around. Glad to be back on track.

Y'know food is not our friend. It's a necessity. We turn it into all sorts of glorious things and assign it tasks such as making us feel better, joy, happiness, being part of something, all of which is a lie. If you think you won't have a birthday, wedding, social gathering, or event unless you eat and drink things that aren't good for you, then you have created pure fantasy in your head.

Quick, tell me what you ate for dinner a week ago Wednesday. No peeking at food diaries! Hmmmmm, just as I thought. You can't remember. So why do you think that food is so important to you?

I think on these things because I've been snacking on good foods I shouldn't have (nuts and berries) out of boredom. Jim is teaching 3 to 4 nights per week and I'm alone all evening. He doesn't get home until 10:30 and I get home after he has already left. So there I am alone with the cats. Sure I paint, do chores, watch TV but I found my urge to snack had increased. The last two days I put the kibosh on that. And you know what? I woke up the past two mornings hopeful and happy that I hadn't cheated against myself. I feel better about myself than I do when I indulge in things that tickle my fancy for a few seconds of time and are followed by days of regret. This is what I want to hold onto. Nothing feels better than that.

Susan, my body reacts as yours does. I have found that my body will slam on 5 to 10 pounds once I get out of ketosis, so that tells me I have to lose to an amount lower than my goal in order to accommodate the bounce-back. Sucks to be us but we can beat that game. It will always be a challenge and we'll never be able to just do as we please. That's okay. A few indulgences followed by careful eating works for me. It's how we are with our finances too, so why not food?

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't Saturday. We're off today for the holiday. I do love a 3 day holiday.

Have a good 'un.

Later 'gators.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-15, 20:15

BF:

Quote:
So, I'm down three pounds over the last two days. Works for me...

Y'know food is not our friend. It's a necessity. We turn it into all sorts of glorious things and assign it tasks such as making us feel better, joy, happiness, being part of something, all of which is a lie. If you think you won't have a birthday, wedding, social gathering, or event unless you eat and drink things that aren't good for you, then you have created pure fantasy in your head.

Congrats on the 3 pounds down. I agree with what you say about food. It has always annoyed me that people including my husband think they cannot celebrate a holiday without over eatingl Funny thing is that I seldom ate desserts or a lot of other things that other people eat (like donuts at work), nevertheless I managed to get to more than 40 pounds overweight eating what I thought was healthy. Oh well, I know better now.

Have a good holiday weekend in the USA.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 06:44
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Happy Independence Day to the U S of A! Jim has to show a house this morning and I guess that's what we'll do. I'll go with him. Not thrilled about that. Our community has a lot of festivities which brings in outsiders. The main gate backs up causing a traffic jam on the highway. Today is the parade so they have blocked of the main gate access. We can take the back gate but it's a winding slow drive to do so and a bit out of our way. So be it.

I'm down another pound and a half. I feel SO much better. Yeah it's fluid, but the relief is noticeable. I'm starting to throw ketones too so I'm more than happy.

After we show the house and do a couple of errands we are going to hunker down and wait out the mess. Tomorrow night (due a contract error) there will be the fireworks on the lake. That brings in tons of people. You won't find me leaving my house no matter what gate. Today is parade and water shows besides all the guests for private parties. I'm a July 4th recluse. In days past both Jim and I hosted parties for family and friends. Now that we aren't near anyone.......not so much. Besides we have a house full of flooring boxes. By the way they are to install next Thursday. Just in time for us to leave for our trip. Oye.

Have a happy and safe holiday!

Gotta scoot.

Later 'gators!
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 07:36

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Happy 4th of July!

My mom and sister are coming over for a low carb grillin' day! Burgers 'n Brats.

Yum!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 09:42

BF:

Blue, I am a holiday recluse too. We do have a nice parade in our little town, lots of Iowa traditions: corn, tractors and politicians.
We have a great spot staked out on the college campus where we go every year. Although last year a lot of other people got there first. My grandson will be in the parade with the Cub Scouts. I may try to skip the fireworks this year if i can talk John out of it.

We took the kids to a chamber of commerce event in town last evening. They close off a block and have inflatables, a very loud band, and beer. Lots of people standing around talking, and smoking and drinking beer seemingly having fun. Since I don't do any of those things....small talk, smoke or drink, it didn't take us (even the kids) long to be ready to leave. My oldest grandson is like me, crowds and loud noise just don't sit well with us. Every now and then I go to those type of things so I remember why I don't usually go.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 07:22
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Down a half pound this morning. Down is SO much better than up. But, you knew that.

We ran errands, bought new appliances for the kitchen but will have to wait for the new sink and countertops. Holy moly, 5 grand for countertops. Yeah, we'll wait on those. Reflooring the whole house and new kitchen appliances (all of them) is paid for first. That will come next. Yowzer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
They close off a block and have inflatables, a very loud band, and beer.

I laughed out loud when I read this because it was the perfect description of most street festivals although there are the ubiquitous funnel cake stands. It's not my thing either. Fireworks I like, the trouble and time spent waiting for them, not so much.

Hope you all had a great holiday.

Later 'gators.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 05:36

Blue, so happy to hear all of your "down" reports! That's the way to do it!

Another pound ticked on to the total of 4 I lost during the fat fast, so I am doing the cream cheese and macadamia nut again for the next 3 days. We have a big family reunion (first one ever) in 3 weeks and I'd like to be down a little bit more than I am right now. And my mom even invited my dad which means I'll have to tolerate the jackass for a few days!! That was very nice of her to do. She figured he's getting pretty old and doesn't get to see his grandchildren and great-grandchildren that often. Actually, one will be there that he's never even met before and she's already 5! And since he only lives 3 hours from where we will all be gathered, she told me to invite him. And he said, YES!

Fortunately, around a crowd of people, my dad can be the life of the party. It's only when he's alone with just Shelton and I that he makes cracks about our weight and the types of food we eat. When I say crowd, there will be between 25-27 people. I am really looking forward to it (not the jackass, so much...but yeah even him) but all of my cousins that I don't get to see often.

The only people that might not be there are my son and his girlfriend. With his college schedule, he wasn't sure if he could make it. However, now he's doing an internship that doesn't seem to be so restrictive and he's going to ask them today if he could take a couple days off for a family get-together. Tracy will have to ask at her workplace as well, but fingers crossed they can work it out. I really hope they can come...because it's been years since his cousins and his uncle (my brother) have seen him. Kevin hasn't been able to attend any of the family holiday get-togethers in YEARS! My mom, sister, Shelton and I have seen him periodically here and there, but not the rest of the family. As an only child, his cousins are the closest thing to siblings. I want them to be close.

Wish me luck on both fronts! The fat fast and being able to get my son and gf to attend this event!

I'll update as I know.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 08:30
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Weight is exactly the same as yesterday. I've been trying a new thing to eat the "recommended" amount of protein suggested by a whole host of low carb experts. That upped my calories and stalled my weight. I'm going back to my own way of eating. I can't eat 80-100 g. of protein daily. Not possible. The added protein ups the percentage, then I have to eat more fat to get the percentages in check and that results in higher calories and stalled weight. I'm not going to have others tell me what I HAVE to do. Nope. That's for maintenance.

Kathy, I hope you do well with your fat bombs. Sorry about your dad and that situation. Any time one demeans and belittles others whether it's to support a position or to appear superior, shows how ugly they are instead. It hurts more when it's supposed to be someone who cares about you. I actually feel sorry for those who behave that way. They must have some sort of hurt they are trying to cover and are acting out like little kids do. You are a fabulous person, look wonderful, and deserve better. I hope he behaves himself. Have you ever thought maybe he's wanting you to be perfect (as in fantasy airbrushed model perfect) because your sister is disabled and in his mind that reflects on him? Usually people who act that way are WAY self-absorbed and life is all about them. In any event, don't take what he says or does to heart. Anyone within earshot will totally see him as needing help and you as wonderful. I'd bet on that.

We've got the house pretty much packed up. Bins have been hauled to the porch and garage. The whole flamin' house. Hmmph. My life in a box. The house in turmoil Thursday and Friday and we're supposed to leave Saturday. Sure we are.

Today is a fast day for me. After the higher calories (1600) I'm looking forward to getting back to normal again.

Have a good 'un!

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Jul-06-15 at 08:38.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-15, 09:22

My dad is the type of person who thinks thinness reflects beauty. He always tells me I'm the "nicest kid he's got" but that's not enough for him...I'm also supposed to be thin. He has money and somehow, money equates smarts equates thin. Don't ask me...somewhere in life he developed a big head. I can remember as a young girl he used to be so proud of his old beat up van that he worked out of. He was a contractor. Then he became a success, made loads of money and is now very well off and hobnobs with the snobs. Now, he looks down on people who drive old wrecks. Go figure.

He does expect perfection though. He treated me that way even as a little girl. I remember one day when I was about 10. I had about a 1 inch seam pull loose from my favorite pair of shorts and I showed it to him with a sad face. "Look Dad. These are my favorite and now they're ruined." His response? "Ach! Don't be stupid, go fix them." So, I approached my step mother for a needle and some thread and holed myself in my room carefully sewing the way my mom had shown me how to do it, with a back stitch and everything. I was so proud of my finished work that I couldn't wait to show my dad. He took one look at what I had done and said, "Ach! You call THAT sewing?" It was my first time ever attempting sewing on my own...thankfully it wasn't my last. I didn't let him deter me but his response did sting for a very long time. Sort of the story of my life when it comes to that man. Nothing I do is good enough. Fortunately, I know I don't need to be perfect to be happy NOR do I need his approval. And also thankfully, my mom divorced him when I was very young and I did not grow up under his rule...goodness only knows the Hell I would have endured if she had stayed. lol

But, in spite of all that, I'm still the nicest kid he's got! His words! LOL! He actually has gotten a little better in his old age and sometimes says things like, "I know I act like a jerk most of the time." I know he loves me, but I have come to the conclusion that I am better off visiting him with other peeps around so his "ass-i-ness" doesn't make an appearance. We get along much better that way.

My sister is a half sister...different dad.

Last edited by kats612 : Mon, Jul-06-15 at 10:52.