Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 09:25

Plan: atkins sort of
Stats: 312/300/195 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

~newcler - you can do it! I so want this to happen permanently, so i feel your pain being on your 4th go round. been there done that!

i think this forum is different to, great responses and fast!

~ Judy - glad this isn't my journal! i wasnt sure what that was lol and thought i was exposing deep secrets or something lol

~ Nancy - funny you should say that i just bought that book and the follow up! i was going to try and just go wheat free for a while and then realized i needed alot more as well
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 11:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Trock, yeah... the Wheat Belly diet isn't just about going wheat free. It is essentially low carb as well. But I think the message about what those nasty grains are doing to us is very valuable.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 18:13

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I wonder if you should not look into the Whole 30 plan, trock? It's not represented here but it's a good plan, especially when you want to keep some carbs but still have some strict rules for health going. And it might be a little easier to do "easy" without so much creativity in the kitchen.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 20:00

Plan: Atkins Modified
Stats: 257/237/157 Female 504
BF:
Progress: 20%

this is round two for me. round one was 2005 i kept 85 pounds off for 5 years then walked out on my job and started gaining but when mom was dying put on 100 so up to 257 May 13 2015 bp high and i started low carbing again i have lost 16 pounds in 18 days. i am not doing induction. i was eating so much sugar like 5 pounds in two weeks and candy bars and chips and pretzels just cutting those out and replacing with frozen berries and nuts. I was rarely in ketois last time i was maybe pink but never purple or dark purple and i lost fine. this time i am already adding green beans and cottage cheese, hate salads so wont ever have a salad again, but i love eggs meat fish and poultry
my goal is 100 pounds in a year. to be healthy and happy again. Dont sweat the small stuff they say. this time i am not obsessed with a scale . i dont own one i weight at the HIGI station and the results go to my email . i am looking for ward to this journey again. i never felt tired while on it last time and anything has to be an improvement that the way i feel now using motorized wheel chairs at the grocery. This is just the time of the year for lots of great veggies, squash, asparagus, broccoli tomatoes, okra..
Hun i really wish you the best and try not to worry about what happened last time and if its going to happen this time. i dont think anyone needs to be in ketotis for 9 months ( i will never be able to spell that word and spell check wont do it here) i would add berrys (fruit for me i like to eat it frozen) add some nuts.. i did not do this last time but i am this time. i have not had sugar, bread pasta rice or potatoes in 18 days... i think the chips and chocolate are gone from my system . just keep up the good work. 100 pounds can be gone in a year, by next summer.... hugs
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 12:51

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock
has anyone really lost 100 plus and kept it all off for 3, 5, 7 plus years?

I understand how you feel completely! I am in the same boat. I lost a lot of weight on low carb (100lbs), but eventually gained it all back and now am trying to lose it again...and it sucks!

However, yes, it is possible to keep weight off for a long time. I started in early 2001. It took me about 3 years to lose the weight, and then I didn't start regaining until late 2008. Yeah that's not permanent and I didn't make to the 10 year mark, but it's still WAY above the stats on the average length of time people maintain weight loss.
How did I do it? Semi-starvation. I convinced myself that I could eat carbs, as long as I kept my calories in check, and it worked but I was really not doing that well. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten because those sort of unhealthy, disordered eating patterns are really so common among girls in their teens and early 20s (I'm 28 now). However, in 2007, at 22 it got to where I couldn't go through a dance class without feeling lightheaded.
Then, like you, I went through some hard times with depression, and food was the easiest way to cope.

I know it's hard. Oh believe me I know, but don't give up hope.

Last edited by s-piper : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 13:14.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 10:04

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%

Hi Trock, how are you doing?

Thanks to judynyc for clarifying the journal/ thread debacle for me...I am new back here and haven't figured everything out yet.

I am completely committed to making this woe work for me this time around...I quit sugar in January and started low carb/high fat 18 days ago and have lost 9 lbs. it works, and the energy just keeps coming!

Looking forward to keeping in touch...start a journal!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 06:12

BF:
Progress:

Hi All

Thanks for the support and stories knowing I am not the only one. Today is day 1 for me. I have officially started LC again. I hope this time to have a much larger, and varied menu. I am hoping to have alot more beggies involved as well. I will stick to the 2 cups for now but thats more than i ever did last time.

ONce i really get going i am going to start to test other items that i can put back in and this time if i make it to my 100 lb goal i want to switch to a large and healthy menu of items that dont cause me weight gain.

this time its not all steak, eggs, bacon and wings. this time i am trying to be healthy and lose weight and not get sick of the food i am eating

here's hoping at least

i will report in as i progress

thanks again!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/178/150 Female 5'.5"
BF:
Progress: 75%

cooking once or twice a week has been the key for me... After 50+ years of cooking three meals a day ...EVERY DAY... for the family ...(and once they were all either out of the house or old enough to totally fend for themselves..) I QUIT... I forced myself to NOT be in charge of anyone's eating but my own..

Long story, short.... I did the sandwich routine for a while, but noticed the weight starting to creep back on, and finally got smart enough to jump back onto the Atkins W.O.E.

I don't enjoy cooking... period... So having good, on plan, food already in the fridge when Monday rolls around..is just plain fantastic...

I've never managed to lose a 100 pounds...but have, for the most part, kept off the original 50 I lost .. It's all about health and not what the scale says..

Best of Luck...YOU CAN DO THIS !!!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 08:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey Trock!

I'm not anywhere near maintaining my weight loss for 5 or more years. One of my mottos is "Stay 100% On Plan today and let tomorrow take care of it's self!" I wanna keep the weight off forever! My brain can not process forever but it can handle one day at a time! But I'm happy that I've been maintaining my weight loss for 1 year and almost 4 months! I've never maintained my weight loss before... cause I thought weight LOSS was the most important thing...yeah I'm not very bright! Pfffffffft

I'm a lifelong yo-yo LC dieter ~ was always the "Fat Girl". I've probably lost 500 lbs my entire adult life...400 lbs that I have documented, the other is from eating on plan 3-4 days then rewarding my good eating behavior with bad food choices (carb-age crap) which = re-gaining weight, then re-losing those gained pounds...repeat rinse recycle! Pfffffffffffft So it's probably way more than 100 recycled pounds, eh?

Much like you, I am tired of fighting my "Fat Jo" and I figured this time around was IT especially at my age... I just don't have the emotional fortitude to do battle with her again! Unlike you, I was/am text book healthy... no HP, no pre diabetes, nothing... even at my highest weight of 293, yes I consider myself extremely lucky!

This incredible LC WOE has been a life saver cause I know eventually my luck would run out in the health area if I didn't change my WOE & lose the tonage!

Wishing you heartfelt success on your personal LC WOE journey to better health!

If you have any questions, just ask and someone here will have an answer or point you in the right direction! IMHO, this is the best LC website on the planet!

Hope this wasn't TMI...
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 13:38

BF:
Progress:

Thanks again!

I am heading into what i call the "shakes" its about 3:30 and i have been on it all of today and i can start to feel my headache coming on

sugar withdrawal! has begun

the first 3-7 days are usually very hard for me. sugar withdrawal, eating less, eating healthy foods i don't necessarily like

once i get past that though and normally by the end of the first month i dont miss any "bad" foods at all

well, we are off!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 13:56

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 225/185/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Really High!!
Progress: 80%

Hi Trock,
Stick with it! You know it works...and you CAN do it! Doing great so far!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 08:21

BF:
Progress:

Hi All

I thought i would report in. My first week I was perfect and felt better and all the benefits you get from getting thru that first 7 days.

on fathers day, i went off for dinner and dessert and have again not stopped eating badly again.

it sucks but i found some issues this time around i haven't had before

i still had alot of issues with the foods again, still couldn't stomach steak, chicken, etc but forced myself to eat and would feel nauseous after. i am convinced this is left over from the last time i did atkins and kept my food choices to such a small category. which is also because of life circumstance. so the whop and cook all these different foods doesn't work for me

so now i feel really retched again, bloated, tired, and cant get back on again so far.

no idea what the solution is but at this point i am totally off again and knwo exactly what i should do but i just cant stomach the thought of it

i even used some atkins snacks which i normally wouldnt but the malitol made me bloated as hell and they are pretty horrible for me, loaded with chemicals and not real food etc

thought they could jump me thru some cravings and was trying to be proactive but that didn't work

not sure what to do now. i will try and figure it out
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 21:29

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Trock,

We've all been there. The important thing about a relapse is not the relapse. It's what you do next.

Get the sweets and snacks out of the house and eat some BACON!

Good luck! Get back on that horse and RIDE!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 23:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Trock. I have a question. I'm not trying to be judgmental, or negative; I am just curious. You say you find meat, etc. nauseating, and are having trouble eating it. May I ask - what do you find appetizing? If you were to let us know then perhaps we could point out some things that you like that are on plan, or direct you to substitutes that you might find appealing. Where do your preferences lie?
I'm sorry if you find this question offensive. I am truly just curious. For me, low carb eating is endlessly variable, so I am curious when I hear of others who don't find it so.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-15, 01:47
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hello Trock,

I think a lot of the answers you're looking for are in the posts you've already written, both with what's there, and what you've left unsaid. I'm taking the liberty of unpacking some of that. Some of it's kind of tough-love, but this is your life you're talking about here. It matters a lot.

You said that you've been doing Atkins, but you don't mention a specific plan (as in JustJo's '72 induction lifer). If you haven't actually read any of his books, I highly encourage you to do so. Robert Atkins is probably well past spinning in his grave about misunderstandings of his eating plan--he got enough of that while he was still alive.

He said that we've been eating an unbalanced diet by indulging in the carbs, and need to swing the pendulum another direction for awhile--essentially to another "unbalanced" way of eating, i.e., the meat-and-veggie induction period. But he also says that's just for awhile, while you get the carbs out of your system. Then you start slowly adding carbs back in a measured and deliberate way until you find your critical-carb-level, and stay there and ride it out in comfort.
He also said, "If you're not exercising, you're not doing Atkins." Lots and lots of misconceptions about the plan. A mantra you'll see a lot of around here: "Read the book!" So, read the book. Pick an Atkins that looks good to you--his original one, New Diet Revolution, etc., and read it and give it a whirl. I am confident you'll find that you are not expected to eat nothing but meat.

Another piece of the puzzle is planning. This is really a failure-to-plan is planning-to-fail WOL. Analyze your mistakes. Something happened on Father's Day. Was it telling yourself you can handle it? Sitting in a restaurant? Having someone make dessert and telling you, "I made it just for you. You can have one piece. You can diet later. You'll hurt my feelings if you don't . . ." etc.

Something.different.happened. Your job to figure out what it was and proactively protect yourself from that happening again.

Treat yourself with love and respect and hopefulness. Fall down seven times, just keep getting up.

I think stress and emotional issues are a bigger part of this than we might want to acknowledge. Consider working with a therapist, just as you might if you were trying to kick a different kind of addiction. Make meditation, stress relief, gentle, non-punitive exercise part of your regimen. Change the parts of your life that hurt so much that you are eating to squelch the pain. Speak the words you are swallowing. Require that people treat you with courtesy and respect.

And make yourself your priority. I know that sounds ridiculous when you have small children, but the reality is that unless you do this, you will fail. When you're sitting at a table too long because you're trying to be polite to other people, and sooner or later you start eating. Or you polish off the leftovers because no one else will. You have to put those days behind you. It doesn't mean not treating the people around you with love and respect; it means treating yourself that way first. Even right now, bloated, disappointed, off program.

Make a plan for tomorrow, starting with your first glass of water in the morning, and go from there. If you need to do some shopping to get ready, that's the most important thing you'll do all day, so prioritize it. Put on your own oxygen mask first. Shop the fresh produce aisles. If your store doesn't have nice produce, shop somewhere else. Stock up on fresh, vibrant whole foods. Stay out of the middle of the store with the packaged, dead foods. Start meeting your body's needs for healthful foods and it will stop asking you to shove the crap down the pie-hole.

Don't tell yourself that it won't make any difference and it doesn't matter because you fell off the wagon. It hasn't moved that far down the road. Get your butt back on it and keep going. A year from now, if you do that, you'll still be at your goal, and it will be a whole different Father's Day. And you can spend it in a park playing Frisbee with the kids and dog and treating yourself to an LC picnic, instead of trapped in a restaurant or kitchen waiting for people to bring you food that isn't going to help you get healthier.

Believe it or not, you still have youth on your side. There's plenty of us older than you who are getting back on that horse for the umpteenth time, because you know why? What's the alternative?, that's why.

And here's the other piece. Stop looking at the 100 pounds you have to lose. None of us can not feel daunted at taking off triple digit numbers, whether it's 100, 200, 300 or more. But each one of us is responsible for losing the next pound. You can do that. Lose one single pound. When that's gone, tackle the next one.