Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 19:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Jimmy Moore goes to a PHD retreat

Most people on this forum know of Jimmy Moore, the high-profile popularizer of the LC diet. At Paul Jaminet's (creator of the Perfect Health Diet (PHD)) invitation and expense, Jimmy Moore and his wife, Christine, attended the most recent Perfect Health Retreat. Jimmy's passionate review of their experience led to Jaminet's reply.

None of this is news, per se, but since Moore's a public figure and made some sensational claims, I thought members of this forum might be interested in the two people's public statements.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Mon, May-25-15 at 20:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 05:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for posting. I often find myself defending Jimmy--but in this case, yes, I think he could have been much more gracious to his host. I don't think the perfect health diet is so perfect--probably largely because I did the Zone diet for an extended time, and it really didn't take.

Quote:
Ketones substitute for blood glucose in feeding the brain, and it is the brain that controls blood glucose levels. So it is normal for blood glucose readings to be lower when in ketosis. However, what is important for health are total circulating energy levels (glucose + ketones + free fatty acids); elevated circulating energy poisons the pancreatic beta and alpha cells through “glucolipotoxicity.” [4] To be in ketosis, Jimmy has to have elevated levels of free fatty acids and ketones. So it is alarming that his fasting blood glucose levels while in ketosis are as high as 100 mg/dl.

This part here of Jaminet's post, though, I have a bone to pick with. Glucolipotoxicity has been demonstrated in in vitro studies (tissue or cells in a petri dish etc., for anybody who doesn't know). Yes, elevated free fatty acids paired with elevated glucose causes damage. No, it hasn't been demonstrated with glucose concentrations that would correlate with a blood glucose level of 100, only with one that is considerably higher.

Also, glucose is a good correlate for how much glucose there is in the blood. What it isn't a good correlate for is how much glucose is available to tissues in the body, to be taken up from the blood. It's pretty hard for glucose to participate in glucolipotoxicity in the pancreas, liver, etc. if excess glucose never actually gets delivered to the tissues. I think it's fair to say that this is nonsense. How a person is supposed to suffer from glucose toxicity and 'glucose deficiency' at the same time is beyond me.

Edited to add;

I should probably address what Jaminet said next;

Quote:
Note that the loss of pancreatic alpha and beta cells, presumably due to poisoning by glucolipotoxicity, is an observed adverse effect of long-term ketogenic diets [e.g. 5, titled “Long-term ketogenic diet causes glucose intolerance and reduced β- and α-cell mass but no weight loss in mice”].

First, the "presumably" here is wrong. It isn't presumable that this decrease in alpha and beta cells was due to poisoning by glucolipotoxicity.

How does the system "decide" how many cells of a particular type should be maintained/developed in the first place? How about need? A mouse that is taking in 95 percent fat in its diet, feeding its brain on ketones, doesn't need to produce very much insulin. The need for beta cells is decreased. The same is true of glucagon. Glucagon's action is to ensure that there is enough fuel for the brain, etc. In a low glucose, low insulin setting, the need for glucagon is also greatly reduced. Large counterregulatory surges of glucagon aren't needed where the possibility of hypoglycemia (or at least hypoglycemic crisis, glucose could be quite low safely, if ketones are high enough) isn't an issue.

Bone, muscle, fat, neuronal cells. Differentiation of all of these cell types has been show to be affected by the demands put on the tissue. The liver and gut have a remarkable ability to regenerate themselves according to the demands that are placed on them. The whole system is plastic, I don't see why this should exclude alpha and beta cells.

Scaremongering.

Last edited by teaser : Tue, May-26-15 at 06:21.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 06:29

BF:

One more thing--for a mouse, a ketogenic diet is 95 percent fat. That's because their brain as a percentage of their metabolism is smaller than ours. It doesn't take much protein and glycerol for them to be able to produce enough glucose to make ketosis unnecessary. Even the 90 percent ketogenic diet has twice as many non-fat calories as a ratio. Jimmy Moore's has three times as many, many high fat low carbers have four or times as many. By the time a mouse's diet is truly ketogenic, it's probably deficient in protein as well.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 12:04

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Isn't Paul Jaminet a real doc of medicine with a license to practice? He should know about hyperglycemia. I do. The whole world knows about hyperglycemia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperglycemia
Quote:
Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar (also spelled hyperglycaemia or hyperglycæmia, not to be confused with the opposite disorder, hypoglycemia) is a condition in which an excessive amount of glucose circulates in the blood plasma. This is generally a blood sugar level higher than 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl), but symptoms may not start to become noticeable until even higher values such as 15–20 mmol/l (~250–300 mg/dl). A subject with a consistent range between ~5.6 and ~7 mmol/l (100–126 mg/dl) (American Diabetes Association guidelines) is considered hyperglycemic, while above 7 mmol/l (126 mg/dl) is generally held to have diabetes. Chronic levels exceeding 7 mmol/l (125 mg/dl) can produce organ damage.[1]

Wikipedia is unreliable. It's written by regular folks. This fact and the quote above illustrates well just how much the whole world knows about hyperglycemia. It knows pretty much everything there is to know. So why not Paul? Oh wait, maybe 140mg/ld post-prandial isn't actually hyperglycemia. It is. Just not chronic hyperglycemia. It's merely transient and Paul seems to think that makes all the difference. It does not. Even transient hyperglycemia causes damage. How do I know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycated_hemoglobin
Quote:
Glycated hemoglobin (hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, A1C, or Hb1c; sometimes also HbA1c or HGBA1C) is a form of hemoglobin that is measured primarily to identify the average plasma glucose concentration over prolonged periods of time. It is formed in a non-enzymatic glycation pathway by hemoglobin's exposure to plasma glucose. Normal levels of glucose produce a normal amount of glycated hemoglobin. As the average amount of plasma glucose increases, the fraction of glycated hemoglobin increases in a predictable way. This serves as a marker for average blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months prior to the measurement as this is the half life of red blood cells.

In diabetes mellitus, higher amounts of glycated hemoglobin, indicating poorer control of blood glucose levels, have been associated with cardiovascular disease, nephropathy, and retinopathy. Monitoring HbA1c in type 1 diabetic patients may improve outcomes.[1]

The whole world knows that too. Why not Paul? Note that the bold text above explicitly applies to diabetes mellitus, but the bold text above that implicitly applies to everybody including diabetics.

Well done, Jimmy. You keep doing what you know is best for you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 12:11

BF:

Quote:
Isn't Paul Jaminet a real doc of medicine with a license to practice? He should know about hyperglycemia. I do. The whole world knows about hyperglycemia.

Nope. He's a doctor, but not of medicine.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 12:49

BF:

Can't help it. From Paul's reply:
Quote:
Low-carb ketogenic diets are notorious for inducing insulin resistance, leading to high postprandial glucose when carbs are consumed.

When are carbs consumed on low-carb ketogenic diets? Never mind that. Paul, are you saying your Perfect Health Diet is expected to produce high BG post-prandial so it's not a problem? Or are you saying high BG post-prandial is a problem when somebody who normally eats LCKD suddenly eats your Perfect Health Diet? Or are you saying both? Let me rephrase. Are you saying the high BG post-prandial from somebody who normally eats LCKD makes your Perfect Health Diet look bad, so you turn it around and blame the LCKD for the high BG post-prandial instead? Yeah, that's exactly what you're saying, Paul. But what about insulin resistance? Inconsequential. The very nature of LCKD makes insulin resistance irrelevant precisely because LCKD does not cause high BG post-prandial. It's your Perfect Health Diet that causes high BG post-prandial no matter how much you wish it not to be. It's right in the name: Post-prandial.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 22:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just read Moore's review of the Good, Bad, and Ugly. Not surprising. I have yet to read Jaminet's response, however, I'm starting to sense a McDougall-like vibe from this guy. That in and of itself is enough to make me suspicious of everything he claims.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 06:56

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I read Jaminet's response and didn't read Moore's. I didn't think Jaminet's response was that bad. Jaminet is perceiving through the lens of his beliefs, just as, in my opinion, Moore does.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 07:06

BF:

That's true, and I still need to read Jaminet's response to be fair. Read about Moore's experience, as it seems plausible. There is no doubt he has strong beliefs and preconceived notions based on his history, however, the recounting of his experience is interesting to say the least.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 07:14

BF:

I don't think Jaminet is mean-spirited like McDougall. Just a little butt-sore because his friend Jimmy's report on staying at his retreat wasn't too flattering.

But he plays awful loose with the science. He speaks as if he has certain knowledge of things that merit suspicion at most. Like dry eyes signalling a glucose/glycoprotein deficiency. When something simpler--say, the well known dehydrating effects of a ketogenic diet--might be at work.

And the whole stomach cancer thing. Somebody shows up at the Hyperlipid blog, making a loose report about Optimal dieters in Poland getting stomach cancer. So he jumps to the conclusion that a mucin deficiency, caused by a glucose deficiency, is behind the stomach cancer. And the reference he used to show that Optimal dieters in Poland have unusually high rates of stomach cancer is that comment on Peter's blog. If you check PubMed, you'll find some studies looking to answer the question of why stomach cancer seems to be unusually high in Poland. Like this one;

Quote:
Diet and stomach cancer risk in Warsaw, Poland.
Lissowska J1, Gail MH, Pee D, Groves FD, Sobin LH, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Sygnowska E, Zatonski W, Blot WJ, Chow WH.
Author information
Abstract
Some of the world's highest rates of stomach cancer are found in Poland. Reasons for the increased incidence are not known, but high intake of sausages and other preserved foods and low intake of fresh fruits and vegetables may be involved. A case-control study comprising residents newly diagnosed with stomach cancer during 1994-96 and controls randomly selected from the general population was conducted in Warsaw, Poland. Standardized interviews were conducted to ascertain usual consumption of 118 common foods and beverages and other exposures. Using data from direct interviews with 274 cases and 463 controls, odds ratios of stomach cancer were calculated as estimates of risks associated with dietary factors, adjusting for age, sex, education, smoking, and caloric intake. Risk of stomach cancer was inversely related to intake of total fruits and dark green-yellow vegetables and to indices of vitamins C and E and alpha- and beta-carotenes. However, risk was not significantly increased among those with high intake of pickled/salted vegetables and sausages. Risks were positively associated with increased intake of breads/cereals/rice/pasta and other refined grains, as well as a high carbohydrate index. Our findings add to the evidence of a protective effect of fruits and certain vegetables on stomach cancer risk, but do not indicate that high intake of sausage and other preserved foods typical in the Polish diet has contributed to the country's elevated stomach cancer incidence. Our data also suggest that high carbohydrate consumption may influence risk, but further confirmation is needed.

I have no trouble at all with the idea that some people might do better with a bit more carbohydrate in their diet, and a low sugar moderate starch approach seems a reasonable way to go about it. My big problem is with the straitjacketing. Dropping the ketogenic approach from the toolbox narrows a person's option, for some people, it might be dropping the one approach most likely to work for them. Yes, Jaminet does have a "ketogenic" version of the Perfect Health Diet but it relies heavily on MCT's, and Jaminet has a very narrow group of people that he thinks it's appropriate for.

Last edited by teaser : Wed, May-27-15 at 07:32.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 09:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I don't think Jaminet is mean-spirited like McDougall. Just a little butt-sore because his friend Jimmy's report on staying at his retreat wasn't too flattering.

But he plays awful loose with the science. He speaks as if he has certain knowledge of things that merit suspicion at most. Like dry eyes signalling a glucose/glycoprotein deficiency. When something simpler--say, the well known dehydrating effects of a ketogenic diet--might be at work.

I have no trouble at all with the idea that some people might do better with a bit more carbohydrate in their diet, and a low sugar moderate starch approach seems a reasonable way to go about it. My big problem is with the straitjacketing. Dropping the ketogenic approach from the toolbox narrows a person's option, for some people, it might be dropping the one approach most likely to work for them. Yes, Jaminet does have a "ketogenic" version of the Perfect Health Diet but it relies heavily on MCT's, and Jaminet has a very narrow group of people that he thinks it's appropriate for.

Agree on all points. I, too, believe that taking MCTs strictly to increase blood ketones tends to be counterproductive to those embracing a ketogenic approach for health and weight control. I occasionally use MCTs, but only to maintain my daily fat intake and not to boost ketone readings. Exogenous ketone stimulating substances seem to be counterproductive with the one of the primary decisions to be in ketosis in the first place, and that's to take advantage of your natural ability to burn your own fat stores. Hey, I'm walking around with a good food source, and I want to be able to use it!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 10:27

BF:

Injecting or eating ketones cause BG and insulin to drop. Dropping insulin causes fat tissue to release more fat.

If eating MCT produces more ketones, those extra ketones will drop BG and insulin more than otherwise, just like they do when we inject or eat them directly (those are extras too). This lower-than-otherwise insulin will then allow fat tissue to release more fat than otherwise. That's the hypothesis, but experiments show only small effect.

If MCT is used within a high-carb diet, I think it's unlikely to produce any significant result when carbs disrupt the very systems that produce those ketones in the first place.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 13:35

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Thanks for posting. I often find myself defending Jimmy--but in this case, yes, I think he could have been much more gracious to his host. I don't think the perfect health diet is so perfect--probably largely because I did the Zone diet for an extended time, and it really didn't take.

I didn't find it to be particularly un-gracious. He raved about how beautiful it was and finished up by expressing gratitude for the experience. No punches were pulled with the bad and the ugly, but it was all backed up with clear reason. Had there been disparaging comments fueled by emotion over fact, I would have a poor opinion of the review, but "not nice" isn't the same as "mean".

I think it's cool that Jimmy put his money where his mouth was, so to speak. It's one thing to say "I know that wouldn't work for me" but another to actually try it. I have to admit, I wouldn't have.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 14:05

BF:

I guess it's the "good the bad and the ugly" format that made me say that, more than the content itself.

The acne seems like something that could be simply random.

Jaminet's claim that he can tell whether Jimmy gained weight at the retreat, just looking at the pictures that came just before and just after--I don't know. I can't tell. Unless you have the same lighting, the same pose, the same clothes--a change in weight has to be far more dramatic, on a person Jimmy's size, to be able to really tell.

Quote:
He looks significantly heavier in November. Immediately after the retreat, his suit jacket hangs straight down at the sides. In November, it bulges out sideways around the waistline.

This comment by Jaminet would make sense if Jimmy were wearing the same suit in both pictures. Since he's not, it's a pretty silly statement.

Quote:
This picture was taken October 19, 2014, the day after Jimmy left the retreat. (Jimmy was at the retreat October 11-18.) You can see from the comments that Jimmy’s fans think he looks unusually good (“Woohoo! You’re killing it, Jimmy!” “lookin’ handsome Jimmy!! Great job!!” “Lookin’ spiffy!”).

Also note Jimmy’s last statement: he doesn’t know how his weight changed at the retreat. We keep no scales at the retreat, so it was impossible to measure his weight there; and his visit to the retreat was in the middle of a Keto Clarity book tour. He had a series of events in North Carolina following the retreat, and did not have an opportunity to measure his weight until his return home Tuesday, October 21.

So--what? The thirteen pounds must have been gained in those three post-retreat days? It's not like a 13 pound weight gain in seven days for a person like Jimmy who suddenly reintroduce carbs into the diet is all that unlikely.

And the blue--Jimmy's fans are supportive. Plus they know his history--even when people are hissing at him for some weight rebound, he's always maintained some 100+ pounds of weight loss on low carb.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 17:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

What I found most interesting were the discrepancies between Jimmy's appearance and comments immediately after the retreat and his later memories. FWIW, I agree that Jimmy looks heavier in the more recent photo. A different suit isn't going to alter the bulging waist and rounded face. And the video evidence regarding the alleged acne seems impossible to refute.